Sony: “Do Not Use Your PS3, Data Loss May Be Permanent”

cynthia-lane-playstation

The bugs afflicting the PS3’s older non-slim models may be as serious as some had feared: Sony is warning users not to use their PS3s, and hints that lost trophies and save data may be permanently lost.

Quoth Sony:

As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.

We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.

Errors include:

• The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.

• When the user tries to sign in to the PlayStation Network, the following
message appears on the screen; “An error has occurred. You have been
signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.

• When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears
on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install
trophies. Please exit your game.”

• When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the
Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date
and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”

• Users are not able to play back certain rental video downloaded from the
PlayStation Store before the expiration date.

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours.

In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

As mentioned above, please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

If any of these errors result in an unrecoverable system with no PSN access, and consequently no ability to apply software updates, Sony may have a major recall scenario on its hands.

09:02 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Just when I wanted to make a picture/video of the bug and try to sign in everything seems to work again, I dont know how but it does! woohoo (lucky sony b*sterds!)

09:06 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Y2K strikes, 10 years late... and only at Sony.

Comment by delphinen
    08:51 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's already being fixed, in fact, IT HAS BEEN already fixed for some people I know. No trophies data loss, it was all a SQL query with a "where date" the cause they were not shown. Save games should not be broken - but this still depends how the game itself manage the save game's data; I wonder why programming some code that deletes X save game if the date is incorrect, maybe just overwrite the last automatically saved game from n date.

On a side note I can't unplug my Xbox360 because it losts the date/clock, but nevermind.

08:48 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ARTEFACT YOU GET OWNED YOU FAG SONY FANBOY HAHAHAHA

09:34 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I really wander why xbox 3fixme fanboys even go on this site, i mean...why? -_- Go look at some American site you fat piece of shit :)
    Oh and it's fixed. Cry because your TNT box won't be.

Comment by Erosmith
    08:27 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Being that the Slim version doesn't exhibit these problems, one could question that if Sony had labeled this as an known issue as part of the design change...

08:39 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I own a 80GB Fat PS3, After reading this article, I took my precious baby for a test drive and it ran so smoothly. Whatever happen to that BS story where PSN users will start paying for our services by Jan.12, 2010? Well, it's March 1, 2010 now and I haven't paid anything to play my online games yet so far.

09:11 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

you guys must have the newer models. my first generation works flawlessly. my clock is fine and i am able to visit and download from ps store.

09:37 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Planned obsolescence:
    Marketing practice whereby products are designed to become out of date long before they actually need replacement. Planned obsolescence capitalizes on such things as material wear-out, style changes, or functional changes.

Companies have long learned how to separate the public from their money.

09:45 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Planned obsolescence - companies have long ago learned how to separate the consumers from their money.

09:33 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol guess I got lucky. I had all the above problems and just simply changed the date and time to the closest to the current manually. :P

09:13 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Quote from my friend

"My PHAT is working now. It just needed 24hrs to go a day ahead of the whole leap year thing. Same thing happened to the 1st gen Microsoft Zune. No big deal, still have all my data, trophies etc."

09:20 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I tried playing yesterday night (when it started), and a large portion of my PS3's memory got corrupted. I ended up having to copy the non-corrupted (and copyable) info onto a Flash Drive and formatting the PS3...

Comment by Reichi
    08:27 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And my boyfriend was just thinking about getting a Slim. Hate to say it, but who knows how long it'll take for something like that to hit the newer consoles...
    I love how Sony basically restates that the slims aren't affected, as if saying "Oh, well, THESE ones are fine. Maybe you should replace that other one?"

09:31 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow... It was down for one day and you start doubting them? -_- It was a calender problem. My ps3's completely fine, i couldn't play for one day but who cares? Paranoid?

07:38 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol, FailStation 3

07:39 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This puts a crimp in my plans to buy a phat PS3, as I was doing so for the PS2 Emulation as a primary focus.

07:43 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

read on another site:

80 GB - CECHMxx - unknown, but not probable because it's newer than CECHLxx
    160 GB - CECHPxx - no
    160 GB - CECHQxx - not probable

4th Generation:
    120 GB slim - CECH-20xxA - no
    250 GB slim - CECH-20xxB - no

07:46 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Never in the field of human history have so many been fucked up, by so few.

Cheers;
    Niker

07:31 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sony follows on Toyota's example quite well.

07:25 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So let me see and I am just guessing here, which part of the Sony PS3 operating system was made by Microsoft? It sounds like the Xbox360 MS Team had something in mind just in case people did bandwagon flock to the new Sony Device being made before the PS3 was released. Looks to me and should look to you as that way. The MS operating system for the HDDs?

07:17 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So... PS3 doesn't have issues like the RROD, huh?

07:47 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

haha, you call this ps3 users got pwned? I'd say 360 fags already got pwned when they first payed their first online service fee. HAHAHAHAHA

Think about it you microsoft newbs >=/ ....... ;D

08:10 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

8001050F FAGGOTS!

07:57 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"and Y2K strikes finally"

"lol. its amazing how the y2k bug occurs now."

Better late then never.

Comment by TheBeast
    07:53 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

looks like i'm about to put my usb to work backing up my data.

09:52 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

*waits for the wii to burst into flames* :O

10:05 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

man good thing that back in the day i decided to get a few games for my ps2 rather than buy a ps3

12:59 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i just loaded heavy rain and everything is fine. i didnt lose any of my trophies or save data. i dont know why you crapbox people are getting all happy. this is the first major problem ps3 has had and they had it fixed within a day. i still have yet to see a permanent fix for rrod.

12:57 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

FUCK YOU SONY! FUCK YOU!!! They fucking designed this to happen to try to get me to shell out another fucking $300 dollars for a fucking slim. Oh wait no backwards compatibility so I'll have to pick up a PS2 while I'm at it if I wanna play Persona 4, Dragon Quest, or Nocturne. Net cost: $500 which is about as much as I paid for my current PS3 when it was new.

FUCK YOU SO FUCKING MUCH SONY!!! I keep you bug ridden piece of crap and I will NEVER buy your shit again. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

11:53 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

check your machine, and be sure to change the date manuely to the right one... its working on my fat gen 1 ps3 now..

they fixed it, atleast mine, and hopefully yours!

12:07 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

To all the PS3 assholes I say HAHAHAHAHAHA, but to all PS3 owners who aren't douchebags, I hope your console recovers soon. :)

Comment by phisaki
    12:25 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know if Sony fixed the bug or not but I can log into the psn network and i can play my games now. I'm so relieve that the worst is over!

Comment by Fox89
    13:34 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

In fairness all around, whilst this is a bad problem with some people experiencing permanent data loss, it is a one off. Unless they don't bother to fix it in the next 4 years in which case it'll happen again next time there's a leap year, but it isn't exactly the end of the world!

On the other hand, it DOES still need fixing. They didn't actually do anything to fix what was wrong, they just told everyone to wait. As soon as the PS3 internal clock (NOT the one you set yourself, rather the in-built clock) ticked over to the 1st of March (albeit 24 hours late) the problem went away on its own.

Long story short: Unless you were one of the unlucky ones who had data wiped, the PS3 fat is now perfectly fine to use again. Just be careful on the 28th of February in 4 years time!

In response to question like "How come it happened on the 28th of Feb?" The answer is it didn't. All the internal clocks run in the same time zone, so if you live 6 hours behind where the console was manufactured, the bug would have kicked in 6 hours before midnight.

And to Anon 12:57... calm the hell down. Annoying though it is, I think it's fair to say you can survive this bug without forking out for a slim. It's not exactly terminal, as far as I can tell the worst that has happened is that some trophy data and game saves have been lost. It isn't exactly a 'YLOD'.

14:03 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

it says some users *shrugs* mine still still going strong.

14:09 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And yet the wii still hasnt reported any hardware problems this major to date. On second thought... Barely any >>. Goes to show great graphics arent everything to gaming.

Hardware durability FTW (Not a nintendo fanboy because i own a PS3 also)

17:20 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've owned most nintendo consoles including, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, DS, DSL and have never had a single problem.

GC froze maybe 3 times(all on windwaker for some reason <.<) since I bought it, and DS froze once.

My PSone is pretty good, it freezes rarely, but my PS2 froze a fair bit.

Haven't owned any microsoft consoles, but I'm not sure I want to..

Maybe people are just too rough?

14:23 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My old second-line Xbox 360 still works perfectly fine. If you take care of your stuff, typically it will keep working.

I believe the main problem with the 360's was overheating - I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me. So how does one fix overheating problems? Buy a fan. My x360 has its own cooler, and I like to credit my console's long life to using the cooler.

As far as PS3 problems, yes, this is the first major problem that I've heard of with them - but that doesn't make them instantly better.

11:51 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

OK TROLLS! PS3's working now... WITHOUT EVEN RELEASING A PATCH!

So article = bullcrap now.

10:22 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This makes me sick. You're telling me that I have to buy a new ps3 with no support for ps2 games because the old ones are going to break because of something YOU did? Fuck you Sony. Fuck you, Xbox. And Nintendo... Grow the fuck up.

11:52 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

dude you smell of troll.. :(

Comment by BlaqCat
    10:28 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

To all the 360 fanboys,
    Yes, Sony has finally slipped up. There has obvious been a grevious error that has caused widespread problems. But, in the midst of all your celebrating please consider one thing:

This problem may take a couple -days- to fix, and most likely with no lasting HARDWARE damage to the old PS3s. The RRoD still goes on, and your beloved M$ won't even bother to permanently fix the problem. The most you get is to ship your system off to their centers to be fixed. Simple math can do the rest.

1day of no PS3, and a few lost trophies < 3-4 WEEKS of no 360.

Get your heads, out your asses, and demand more of the company you back so hard.

10:21 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All this fanboy talk is hilarious. xbox fanboys are sooo happy because of this but its not even close to the 360's problems but hey if it makes you feel good then by all means go ahead. It will amuse me

and yes it is fixed

10:14 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Mine works fine now and so does basically everyone else's. People lost some trophies that they earned during this incident and xbox fanboys are cheering

Yet it doesnt even come close to the whole console failing but i guess they dont care since this very small fault is to the xbox fanboys what the second comming is to christians

10:10 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

again, GAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

10:14 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I really want a PS Slim. If Sony says they will reimburse for a returned bricked system to pay for a new one, I'm going to do my damndest to brick my fat inferior system.

I wonder why this critical error is popping up right now and all at once among all the fat systems. Was it a malicious attack by hackers exploiting a known fault in the system's clock? Is it something tirggered by the latest update? I'm more anxious to know why the old systems are all tanking? This isn't like the 360 Red Ring or other critical system error. This is all at once for everyone with a fat. It's too suspicious.

10:40 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Just so you guys know, I just turned on my PS3 Chubs and the problem seems to be fixed.

11:46 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Mine is working fine now. No loss of data or anything. The Pool is OPEN!

11:09 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My fat PS3 is working fine. I was pretty scared at first. But only a few fats seem to be working.
    Mine is a newer 80GB Model.

10:51 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i heard its working now

11:08 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)