Anime OP & EDs That Will Make You Cry!

anime_ops_gurren_lagann_clannad_after_story

This wonderful compilation of recent (mainly 2007 or newer)  anime OPs and EDs that were so excellent in quality that “they will make your tear glands burst” has currently been the #1 ranked video in Nico’s anime category for some days now, and with good reason.

Have a look, and blow out your own tear ducts:

As always, you can turn off the comments by clicking the captions box in the bottom right.

The shows featured include some with truly memorable OP or EDs, such as Gurren Lagann, Ef, Clannad, Aria, which should all be worth a watch if you might still be unfamiliar with them.

17:22 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Garei zero is a tragic. I cry at the first time I watch op. Because I already know what will happened in the end.

21:16 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

At worst, an hero is never forgotten, at best legion is eternal.

I'm a 23 year old male and I cry like a child when I watch the Clannad 2 OP.

Ef annoyed me because they made the theme death, so it lost it's impact and it forced a lot of interaction to be sickly-sweet and sad.

Also, anyone that didn't cry at some point in Guuren Lagaan is fucking soulless. After finishing the series I spent 3 weeks in a severe depression because I realised I'd never have anything in my life that was as wholly important as the stuff that went on in the show.

06:23 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I cried when Kittan rushed into the death spiral machine Q_Q

And if you like bi emotional drama, clannad is the right thing. although it was way too much for me ^^

22:18 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

again i'm gonna stress this... I really loved CLANNAD but seriously, no OPs and EDs from the seriously underrated Toward the Terra??! This is madness!

12:24 05/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

recent, 2007, read the damn article.

Comment by Kelvin
    01:22 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Only the dango song made me cry.

01:48 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Quen....I love you.

02:15 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

dammit!!! my eyes!!!

this is epic!

01:04 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No Honey and Clover ED? S1 ED and S2 ED put me to tears specially S2 after takemoto's mono..

BTW Clannad, Gurren Lagann, AIR, ARIA and toradora ftw for me

00:18 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Not that it's an anime series but...

5 centimeters per second's PV deserves notice.
    Best blend of song and animation sequence. For those who haven't seen it yet, check the pv of the song you won't regret it.

Comment by Texas84
    12:00 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't listen to any Kanon music either.

Comment by Akumaten
    12:17 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Op that made me cry was Saikan- Koisuru Kimochi ending was Pokemon Advanced Generation - Soko ni Sora ga Aru Kara, mostly on the first episode (I thought Pikachu was going to explode due to the excess electricity from the Johto arc season finale)

11:35 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

they should include bakemonogatari ED
    i cried myself with singin that song

11:17 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What no Gunslinger Girls or Berserk Ending?

11:20 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I was questioning the title ''Will Make You Cry!'' (well the TTGL one moved me in a different way because it is just awesome) Until Air and Clannad came one ;_;

12:54 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

E7 is the best ever and many of these OP/ED have beautifully rendered skies

13:22 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It makes me cry that some of these animes were even made. Am I the only one that hated Clannad 2. The movie made me cry but this second season just made me mad. Why would you make something like that?

16:45 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The movie was awful; if you've played the game you'll understand.

20:20 24/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

seconded. the series revolved closer to the game. the movie was... dark.

15:46 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

is the vid working for u guyz?

16:55 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Not for me....

Comment by Quen
    17:18 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This sort of problem occurs with some frequency on our video posts - try refreshing your browser's cache, or reinstalling Flash?

16:47 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Not for me either. The slider moves, but no video/sound.

13:46 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I didn't do too well. Only saw 5 of these with 2 being from the same anime, so only 4 anime i ever seen. BTW why is it only slow songs are "tear jerkers"? I would put ever one of the FMA:Brotherhood OPs on this list as more emotional for me

14:09 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

clannad ftw... and btw.. seriously no Toward the Terra???!!! O_O

03:17 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Zegapain... best OP and ED for me IMO

04:08 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

can someone explain how the hell to watch these vids?

By pushing play, I only get lines and lines of jap text flying around. No images besides that, no sound at all.

10:20 28/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

omg AIR oh god each time that I think of this story I actually want to cry ( also want to pwn those who killed the winged girl)

Comment by man1
    02:01 28/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Just to reiterate LuciferOniichan's opinion, I think it's more of reminiscing the anime story that would make viewers' eyes "flood" with tears rather than solely the OP or ED per se. Related materials such as the OP, ED and OST that are associated with their heart-touching anime would quite easily invoke tear-jerking reactions.

However, people unfamiliar with a certain heart-warming anime is unlikely to be moved upon viewing the OP or ED of said anime. Otherwise, would find most of the OP or ED style clich�©d and very much overused, with the music and songs of some OP or ED served as saving graces.

Anime OP and ED are only as moving as the anime itself.
    Nevertheless, NICE TRY, Quen-san. ^_^

*Sigh...* SanCom needs a spoiler comment filter on top of the existing spam one...

Personal notable ones:-
    7:25 - � "I walked ten thousand miles, ten thousand miles to see you. And every gasp of breath, I grabbed at just to find you." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushishi] �
    13:19 - � "Kieru hikoukigumo, bokutachi wa miokutta. Mabushikute nigeta, kuyashikute yubi~~ wo~ hana~~su~~." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_(visual_novel)] �
    19:28 - Mmm~~, cae~~k~. Delicious cae~~k~. *Drools...*
    21:05 - � Dango, dango, dango, dango, dango, daikazoku. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clannad_(visual_novel)] �

Though not of the tear-jerker kind, still find THIS, THIS and THIS EPIC. Wonder if there'll be an "Anime OP Legends II" feature....

I look forward to Quen producing a feature entitled "Anime OP & EDs That Will Make You Cry II: For The Wrong Reasons!" �¯���¯

Comment by man1
    13:51 01/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

...Otherwise, would find most of the OP or ED style clichéd and very much overused...,

Personal notable ones:-
    7:25 - ♪ "I walked ten thousand miles, ten thousand miles to see you. And every gasp of breath, I grabbed at just to find you." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushishi]
    13:19 - ♪ "Kieru hikoukigumo, bokutachi wa miokutta. Mabushikute nigeta, kuyashikute yubi~~ wo~ hana~~su~~." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_(visual_novel)]
    19:28 - Mmm~~, cae~~k~. Delicious cae~~k~. *Drools...*
    21:05 - ♪ "Dango, dango, dango, dango, dango, daikazoku." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clannad_(visual_novel)]

¯ω¯

* Fixed. The spam filter sure knows how to mess up special characters....

Comment by Quen
    16:03 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"I look forward to Quen producing a feature entitled "Anime OP & EDs That Will Make You Cry II: For The Wrong Reasons!" "

This reply may be two weeks late, but I'll still comment here that I'm unlikely to make such an article ^^;

Comment by man1
    19:03 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That last sentence of mine was kinda mentioned in a semi-joking manner, reminiscent of the time when Artefact used to publish multiple servings of legends articles on a certain topic or relevant (Ecchi Anime Legends I-VI, Stylish Anime OP Legends I-II, "niche interests" legends, etc). But of course, it depends on the fruitfulness of the harvest from NicoNico Douga, 2ch or other similar communities.

Anyways, huge rep points for you, Quen-sama for willing to post a reply regardless of article age. ^_^

00:20 25/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Quite good but still lack of Lilium from elfen lied = fail!

07:17 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No Gundam or One Piece... weird

08:36 06/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No Higurashi?

Pff..

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    14:29 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Audio link is ded,...

08:17 30/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

gurren Lagann and Clannad touched my soul! and the journey of their charcters are memorable! this video is now also dear to my heart

09:56 13/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

how do i actually watch the video?!?

07:32 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Gurren Lagann op is still great, as was the first half of the show. After that it just became a horrible mess, and far worse, it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be mecha parody or "serious" in it's aspects.

06:51 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What was the anime at 6:10?

04:41 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

oh damn, I cried...

05:10 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Im surprised Spice and wolf isnt here.

15:53 24/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

KIMI DAKE WO.

Also, Zegapain's music is a masterpiece.

And so is the series.

07:25 24/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

After watching it, I downloaded Dango Daikazoku to my phone, and I'm listening to it every day while travelling on train.

I really like it, and liked it back when I watched Clannad. It starts out as a happy music, but somehow turns to be very sad in the end for me.

Also, am I the only one who prefer the first Clannad over the second?

Comment by Nunza
    19:50 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Too much tear jerking there, I was expecting more than just one song that would make me go liek RAWRAWRAW!!!!

But still none of them was bad, but only a few had some impact on me. But that's because TTGL and Geass where the only ones that I had seen. But I will certainly watch some of those the in next summer.

Comment by flamesbladeflcl
    04:36 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

*sob* KAMINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by lonerider
    05:03 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

yup, TTGL and manly tears.

Comment by H-Ero
    04:35 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A few of these songs were pretty dull. I find it hard to feel any emotion from a song if there's not much emotion put into the music or the singing.