Final Fantasy XIII PS3 vs Xbox 360 Compared – Xbox Inferior

final-fantasy-xiii-xbox-ps3-vs-360-comparison-shots-4.jpg

final-fantasy-xiii-xbox-ps3-vs-360-comparison-shots-5.jpg

The Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII has been confirmed as being significantly inferior to the PS3 original, with Xbox 360 in game graphics at 1024×576/2xAA versus 1280×720/2xMSAA on the PS3; texture quality and draw distance on the Xbox also suffer degradation, far from the “identical” versions Square Enix promised.

Preliminary comparison shots of the two versions illustrate the difference:

final-fantasy-xiii-xbox-ps3-vs-360-comparison-shots-3.jpg

final-fantasy-xiii-xbox-ps3-vs-360-comparison-shots-1.jpg

final-fantasy-xiii-xbox-ps3-vs-360-comparison-shots-2.jpg

Previously players of both versions had reported noticeable inferiority – now this appears confirmed beyond doubt.

Incidentally, after being caught releasing clearly doctored comparison shots of the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, Square Enix released some “genuine” replacements – however in a less that reassuring sign they left in a mouse cursor on several of the Xbox 360 shots, visible in the top left:

ff13-xbox360-mouse-cursor-1.jpg

ff13-xbox360-mouse-cursor-2.jpg

It’s not clear whether sheer carelessness or some other reason is responsible for this; in any case the reason for their initial reluctance to release genuine shots is perhaps now clear – they insisted the versions were “identical.”

21:39 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Who gives a shit if PS3 or 360 has better graphics on a game? It's the same damn game. If you wanna play it, pick the version you want to play. If you don't then shut the hell up. If you're commenting on the linearity, you obviously haven't played it yet. I guarantee if there's a post about FF7 being too linear at the time of release, you idiots would've believed it.

22:07 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Personally I dont give a damn about the linearity, just seeing awesome graphics turn me on for some playing

11:13 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You are a prime example of why gaming is a joke now.

23:34 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Rumor has it that the XBox 360 version has a first person camera view to satisfy the distinctive Western gamer's taste. Also, all in-game enemies have been replaced by either Nazis, zombies, or Nazi zombies.

02:47 20/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Does it hurt? I mean it must hurt to be that big of a fucking moron.

Comment by Caligastia
    15:03 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm glad Xbox owners get an inferior port, it's because of them that we don't get japanese voice over, and we even may have gotten it earlier and without Leona Lewis (I don't particularly hate her song, I just hate the localization efforts).

It was gonna be a PS3 exclusive also, they should be thankful they're getting any port at all.

Comment by 53271036
    19:22 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And where does it say that the game isn't going to have Japanese voice overs because of the 360 port?

01:46 20/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

SE did mention removing the Japanese theme and vocals for the international versions

02:31 20/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

When they said they wanted to make both versions equal in content, thus cutting japanese voice overs so as to not use even more DVDs.

15:05 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess that's why its bad to ported games...

So far a lot of the games are porting from xbox to ps3 hence we see shit loads of articles about xbox superior in gfx etc, but now a game that's porting from ps3 to xbox, and here is the result.

01:57 20/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

well, those ports of 360 games usually are made a year or so after, and the developers put more effort into getting them onto the PS3

this is a case of SE basically forced to cram their completed game onto the 360 in as small a time as possible, pushing for the games to be equivalent (like SEGA with Bayonetta, except that was more of their own fault, and Sony stepped in to fix it...)

unfortunately, the end product feels like a game that had been delayed far too long, and had many bits and pieces torn from it, to match up the 2 versions.

they probably should have just left it a PS3 exclusive, and made another FF game exclusive to the 360. this would have allowed them to devote individual attention to BOTH games, and not try to make them 'equivalent'

14:07 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Didn't even know this game was coming to 360.

Comment by Malakim
    16:49 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

For a moment there I got distracted and read "Real heroes don't need IMplanTs"... Am I the only one?

22:09 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Real heroes don't give a shit about linearity!"

18:03 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Honestly, the difference is marginal.

16:48 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

oh well blame square for being lazy we all know 360 can pump out graphics even better than the ps3 can :P

15:21 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What a stupid fucking waste of an announcement. If people are bitching about 1 rock not being in the background... they care too much. I mean for fuck sake the only difference i can see is someone greyscaled the xbox pictures a bit.

15:53 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Can't really tell any noticeable difference. That being said, who cares? The game is shit anyway.

You're comparing turds.

16:13 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

From the screenshots the PS3 version has marginally better anti-aliasing and can render trees farther away than the 360 can. Not much of a "win" for PS3 owners.

Linear Fantasy 13 looks a little better on the PS3...hooray?

02:01 20/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll wait until digital foundry's verdict on this one.

14:51 24/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder what reactions I will get for this comment: I own both consoles, a PS3 and a 360 and I am planning on getting this for my 360. You read right. MY XBOX 360!

The graphical difference does not bother me at all, as I am much more interested in the gameplay over visuals. The missing Japanese tracks are fine with me too; I prefer my games dubbed. Multiple discs? Who cares? My favorite Final Fantasy is FFIX, and I had to swap four discs; do you see me whining about that?

The main reason I'm going 360 is to show support for multiplatform release. I like the stance Square is taking with its games, and I am am happy that more people get a chance to enjoy Final Fantasy without having to buy another console for it. (Of course, when Versus XIII comes out, I'll be happy I have my PS3, if only because it exclusive, at least for now...)

08:44 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i like xbox 360 a lot but really i see no diffrence whatso ever

15:44 23/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I want that chick's gun.

16:31 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is sad; games aren't what they used to be.

From what I can see, because the image from the X360 is set at a lower image graphic resolution than the PS3, it is able to 'de-pixelate' the image a bit faster on the screen (speaking TV wise); plus, each image is set at a different angle and movement.

I just hope this game won't have DLC (most probable!).

*Sigh* Bring me back the era where a game offer completeness and enjoyment, and not have to spend more on money as one only has so much.

18:18 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't believe I read half of those comment. (I must say that the picture around here helped me... especially those advertising... XD)

But hey... Who really give a fuck about how different it is between each game? Does it bring a sence of superiority to someone here to think his console is better or not than the other? Did he even did something for that to happen? Will he win some award for telling loud how his opinion is different than others?

The answer is : no.

For those who wish to get the XBox version, get it. For those who wish to get the PS3 version, get it.
    For those who want better graphics, get nothing.
    For those who want more stuff, you're in the wrong place.
    For those who want something really new, nothing's here.
    For those who can't take what I just wrote, go in the kitchen of you old folks, take a knife and do something with it... I'm not telling what since your brain must find it by itself. (The result will vary from people, showing their real self.)

Peace and fuck, guys&girls!

Comment by Hershel Brodersen
    11:36 07/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Superb piece of writing, well written I must say.

Comment by ProfessorMinovsky
    00:37 06/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Can these articles just fucking die already? Every time a new multi-platform game comes out one of these pop up I could really give two jerks of a dead dogs dick about which version has barely noticeable superiority graphics wise. Early Final Fantasy games had like 5 pixels per inch and there infinitely better games than this abomination. These are just pissing contests between console fanboys, its never the same console every time so god only knows if the screen grabs they always use could be shopped to look better or worse or even taken at different resolution and graphic settings. Anyway this shit isn't news...

00:18 16/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

To the idiot who said u can't spot the difference between 1080p and 720p, who is a self referenced authority because of his degree or something: get your fucking eyes checked.

I don't need a degree in Electrical ENgineering to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p. Perhaos you mean the discerning the difference between 1080i and 720p, which would indeed be a very difficult task.

But the difference be twist 1080p and 720p is enormous.

BTW my degree is in Electrical Engineering.

Comment by daniel856
    20:47 19/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

those are all fake screen shots of the xbox 360 version. I have the 360 version of Final Fantasy 13 and trust me it looks nothing like those pics. the 360 version looks identical to the ps3 plus on one of those pics they were saying that there was missing foliage on the 360 version but yet I'm on that part of the game right now and I see the same foliage that the ps3 version has. those pics just proved that there fake.

10:40 21/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You're in denial, Bud. I have both versions and the article is of utter accuracy.

14:09 15/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

likkedd lol~ denial~~

13:25 04/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is all b.s. anyways. The 360 version will run fine and if you aren't playing it on ps3 then you won't even notice any difference so quit whining like girls and go out and enjoy the sun for once. Yes...there is a world outside of your mom's basement.

13:39 04/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a challenge for anyone who wants to take it. I will show you a TV and you tell me if the image is 1080p or 720p and if you are correct I will give you $100. I am a tecnichal engineer and I help build and design TV's for a major brand and there is hardly any difference between 1080p and 720p. The reason for this is because we don't have the technology yet to run a true 1080p TV. The pictures you are seeing is 720p bumped up to look like 1080p. Yes, that's right it's an optical illusion. We cant get true 1080p yet and that is why there isn't even anyone developing a TV past 1080p yet.

Also this website is a little gross with all these pictures. I'm honestly surprised to find a videogame review on here. Way to go Yahoo SafeSearch!

23:47 05/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Playing FFXIII is comparable to walking down a decorative hallway.

09:46 20/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Seriously, who really gives a shit? If the Sony fanboys are THAT hard up to have this game look better on their system then the 360...they can have it lol. Having the best graphics for FFXIII is like winning the gold in the special olympics, yeah you won but everyone is just laughing their asses off at you while you celebrate jumping aroudn and yelling like a fucking retard. enjoy the victory....?

03:58 20/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I knew it!
    If you're going to take the trip through the tunnel, it might as well be the better looking tunnel.

03:29 20/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Haruhi Sudzumia no RPG

Comment by GodOfSpeed
    11:46 20/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well i am not surprised, since they worked on the PS3 version for like 3 - 4 years? And they only recently worked on the 360 version.

If you have a PS3 or 360, i seriously suggest you guys to buy the PS3 version if you get what i mean ;)

13:49 20/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually suggest that you don't buy either. Remember, the game sucks. Only rabid fanboys would buy the game at this point.

Comment by El Chaos
    07:13 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's kind of nice to finally see, some good four years down the line, the exception that confirms the rule.

Of course, they could've released the real, final, true high-def, "non-linear PS3 beta" on the Xbox 360 if they took their time and released it one year later when nobody cared about it anymore, right Square "SO4" Enix/ Namco "TOV" Bandai/ Team "NGΣ2" Ninja? lol

And BTW, I guess they'll encode the pre-rendered CG cutscenes in 720p in the 360 version, along with compressed AC-3 audio or something...

18:17 20/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hahahah they lied to you. they claimed the games where identical and doctored some photos thinking no one would notice. then when they get caught they say it "lol i dunno" and pretend nothing happened.

Never buying a squaresoft game again.

00:35 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the only reason i can see for the lower res textures is either bad compression or lack of procedural textures (like in the UE3)....because basically the x360 GPU is stronger than the ps3 , some developers complains about the fact that they are not able to run the games as smoothly on ps3 than on x360 . I'm not a fanboys but i hate peoples who claims things without facts.I love both ps3 and x360 , they are really great consoles! But if i had the choice of developing a games on a consoles , i would choose the x360 for sure. With unified shaders , and no embed gpu memory i would have less restrictions. And why the hell do they need so much space for final fantasy....for me i doesnt make any sense....look at mass effects 2 , it's a really big game and it fits on 2 dvd as almost any games on the market.....

here's a chart to confirm my facts about X360 GPU

Comment by El Chaos
    10:20 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Man, that site is pretty sweet, it has technical specs of many consoles. If you look at the 360's and the PS3's optical drive data transfer speed you can see why so many multiplatform titles that are slightly optimized for the (now also slightly) more popular 360 need to be installed on the PS3.

Thanks, Anon! :)

13:38 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Who cares just play the damn game on what you got.

09:42 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Not a big surprise that the graphics are inferior. However, the difference between the two appears to be minor. The resolution difference isn't so massive that the Xbox 360 port is going to be unplayable. Regarding the faded contrast... Well, TVs come with adjustable settings for a reason. It won't take much work with the brightness/contrast sliders to mitigate that issue. And really, graphics aren't everything.

What I'm worried about is slowdown. The Bayonetta port proved just how badly poorly optimized code can effect a game. I'm certainly going to be waiting to see the console-specific reviews before I pick it up. With all of the work they've put into paring down the game's file sizes and the concessions they've made to get it to work with the 360's hardware, there should be little to no slowdown throughout. My machine shouldn't bog down because of what's going on on-screen.

09:38 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

really.... who fucking cares? more people are now going to be able to play this game because its on two systems. not like any of you care though, cuz you shit on the game every time its mentioned in a story. most of you haven't even played it, and you're all too stubborn of fanboys to except any kind of change. sometimes simplification and linearity can work for a game. game like mass effect stripped away most of its rpg elements and became a better game for it. call of duty games are stupidly linear, but are expertly crafted and paced to bring you great scripted moments one after another.

when we all get a chance to play this game, then you can all start talking shit.

Comment by Artefact

I've had the game on my PS3 since release day. The criticisms are mostly valid but it remains to be seen how irate western fans will get over it all.

09:22 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Who cares? the game seems perfectly fine on either console. Nitpicking...

09:34 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

not sure if its just me but does'nt it look like the xbox pics simply has more brightness on?

10:02 19/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A lower contrast difference, actually. The contrast issue is either just a difference on monitor running the game when the screenshot was taken, or it's something that you can fix at home with your TV's settings.