Dance in the Vampire Bund Shafted

mina-tepes-by-nekopuchi.jpg

Loli vampire fans and TV station executives alike are exasperated to learn that Dance in the Vampire Bund has been Shafted in much the same way as Bakemonogatari, with the 8th episode being postponed one week, along with all subsequent broadcasts, due to production issues.

Speculation as to the immediate reason (the long-term reason appears to be producing 3 series with enough staff for 1) centres on the likely prioritisation of the Bakemonogatari episode 14 special over lesser anime such as Hidamari Sketch or Dance in the Loli Bund.

Considering the sales of a single Bakemonogatari disc (60,000+) could possibly exceed those of an entire second-tier series (5-10,000 per disc),  the decision to shaft the lesser anime may be commercially wise, but with the resounding success of Bakemonogatari, just what excuse Shaft has for failing to actually hire more production staff in advance this time is quite the mystery.

Opinions seem divided between those who praise Shaft for not merely broadcasting an incomplete episode (though in fact Shaft did this quite brazenly all the time during the broadcast of Bakemonogatari), and those who roundly condemn them as a bunch of tight-fisted jokers whose refusal to hire enough animators to fulfill their obligations to stations or fans is a shameful embarrassment.

Comment by 桂 言葉 死
    08:51 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

For me...

I don't mind waiting.... I like the series thus far.... it keeps me intrigued.

In addition...

I would like to see - ミナ・ツェペッシュ Mina Tsespesshu - as a figure exactly ~ IN THAT ~ pose above in the Thread Pic, with arms crossed.

That would be very alluring and lushingly delish...

I am anticipating an awesome figure pre-order...

Comment by MidnightTide
    08:37 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They should have done this with Bakemonogatari - which is much better then Bund.

09:52 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I AM NOT PLEASED AT ALL.

FOOKING SHAFT

10:27 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm kinda pissed off that after episode 2 they started censoring everything. No blood and no nudity. It's not very graphic. Even on A-TX tv station it's censored like hell.

God I used to like shaft's productions but man they need to get more staff or their quality is just going to fall even more.

Uncensored Dance in the Vampire Bund would be awesome.

Comment by EleutheroZeroONE
    02:07 21/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Just saw Episode Seven!

DISAPPOINTING!!

10:14 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sure is easy to tell them to hire and expand their staff. I hope you guys know that the salaries you get as an animator or working at an anime studio is minimal. It is probably hard for studios to actually get new people, and even if they could get new people, it's not sure they could afford it.

07:32 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

loli vamp gets the shaft....

07:45 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't mind if it's a little late.
    Good things are worth waiting.

09:58 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Problem is DitVB is shit, and has some serious quality issues too.

Comment by S1En1
    15:08 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You got serious quality issues if you don't understand the beauty of a vampire queen with a body of a 8 year old kid.

00:17 18/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

agreed! shes a chubby bitchy 8yr old girl! yet these fool are all crazy over her! she an anime an she still ugly! wtf! its like the woman who swears her baby is soooo pretty when it looks like ET and has a horse-face at 3months old!

17:44 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I fucking love loli vampires. SHAFT ones, at that.
    Hazuki, Evangeline, Shinobu...but she is just plain ugly. Her design is some of the most failed ones ever.

Comment by Seravy
    07:43 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If they can't make it how about letting another company continue the series?
    I hate stuff made by Shaft anyway, it's way too artistic to the extent where it becomes annoying to watch.
    Bakemonogatari was the craziest thing I have seen so far in terms of animation, but that "style" considerably lowered my enjoyment on most other series they made as well.

Comment by cats
    10:46 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Bund isn't anywhere near as good or well received by the sales rankings as Bakemonogatari was.

Get over it..

01:50 18/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol and i thought they canceled Bakemonogatari because there was loli-groping

06:54 25/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Must be those new ghey JP laws.

OLD CROW MAN CROWS YET AGAIN!

21:51 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That looks like a blonde version of Edna from Disgaea. Bastards.

13:42 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

so what, it sucked

where's the Himegami anime?

that will be MUCH better

13:51 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't mind a delay if it means a better quality episode. I will mind, however, if this is habitual in the future.

Comment by alex251
    02:32 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There is one thing we learned from Anno: You can ever make an episode on time if you take what you made till now and combine it with shots from previous episodes.

Comment by deadbeat
    01:42 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

WHAT!!!?!? AND IT ENDED ON A FUCKING CLIFF-HANGER!!

Was anticipating the fight in episode 8 between Mina and Akira. Now you tell me another week!?!?

**RAGE** I WANT MY LOLI VAMPIRE NOW!!!

Comment by EleutheroZeroONE
    02:09 21/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The fight was Ep 7...AT-X censored it!

01:57 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ummm... the last Episode that arired was Episode 6. Episode 8 is going to be postponed.
    But there is still 7 between 6 and 8. So I'd guess we get a new Episode this week.

Comment by deadbeat
    02:50 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

so....I'll still my weekly dose of loli vampires this week?

awwwww....all is fine with the world now ^_^

Comment by BANNED_fei
    01:25 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If this series followed the manga (stopped watching after ep 3)

I would actually care.....

Comment by Vegio
    02:27 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm going to say something totally personal and totally questionable.

I think you're an idiot, like those who agree with you.
    Shinbou is a mere genius, and the first 3 episodes were an escalation of pure awesomeness.
    the direction, the way he mounted the scenes, is extraordinary. I've never seen such an use of editing in anime so far, and I definitely think it's doing great.
    Blabbing about "it's not following the manga" when you have such a rich and ample fan of methods to tell the same tale, considering how different anime and manga are, is just the saying of an idiot who can't understand even the simplest basics of what he's after.

just my 2 cents.

06:29 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I need to agree especially on the first episode. Pretty similar to Darker Than Black ep01 (1st season), I just love it when you initially watch the show and you were like "Wait whut the f..? What's this show all about? Which one is the main star..? Who is who..?" And all of sudden they reveal the true colours of the "hidden" main characters and you went "AWWWWESOOOMMME!!!"

03:12 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I am going to respond in similary personal and questionable maner - First episode aside - second and third episodes sucked. They took the worst from manga and added tons of stupid shonen cliché like poitless monsters, oblivious main character and tsundere loli only to ditch it all in folowing episode. Manga managed to balance clichés and original approach to make interesting and enjoyable story, anime went straight for Naruto quality.

05:16 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And what are these "basics"? Taking on too much work, masturbating on it until it's not recognizable, and then cutting corners everywhere? Sure, fans wanted him to follow the manga, but he can't even do his own thing right.

Also, the first three episodes were: a stupid waste of time, convenient and poorly storyboarded, and a theme that even *code geass* made more entertaining. I'd question your taste in anime, but it's clear you have none.

Just my two cents.

Comment by LUMINCE
    10:38 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You're all missing the point of what Shaft did with Bakemonogatari.

It's an interpertation at best, and anyone who can appreciate that will acknowledge that it's amazingly well done.

You anons best be trollin'.

Comment by Coolham23
    01:40 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree with みくたん, I read the manga, only to find out that they didn't follow it properly, right from episode 1.

02:02 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They were actively encouraged to not follow the manga by the author of said manga.

Comment by Chris
    07:30 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@4:11
    Saying Bakemonogatari = Twilight tells me you haven't watched Bakemono or you haven't read/watched Twilight. It's like comparing apples and a steaming pile of shit.

@Coolham, mikutan, etc
    Sure, episode 1 was a different way to start the series, but a lot of points seem to be following the manga. I've watched up to episode 5, and it seems it's coming up to the church confrontation soon. I don't really like the addition of Akira having amnesia - it seemed pretty unnecessary. In the end though, it doesn't affect the plot much since he quickly began remembering things.
    They better include student council president being a dirty shotacon, or I'll be disappointed :|

Comment by BANNED_fei
    02:09 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

which is exactly what I'm talking about

I hate it when they do that...

03:06 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Autor is idiot. And Shaft is bunch of idiots because they agreed. I think they should ditch this series and make second series for Bakemonogatari - and I woudnt care if they release incomplete episodes, it cant be worse than Bund.

04:11 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Bakemonogatari is horrible. Twilight had a deeper and more complex plot.
    But you're right. Shaft is a bunch of idiots; for concentrating on that pile of garbage over this series, which has potential for greatness.

Comment by H-Ero
    01:57 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It started following the manga's plot though it still keeps some of that stupid amnesia subplot that shaft came up with.

Comment by BlaqCat
    05:10 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The first episode was fail, but otherwise they didn't depart from the manga material -too- much so far. Though we all have to admit, since the manga isn't done, we all knew it would differ from the source material.

05:33 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

First episode was only thing worth watching so far. If they cuted last 2-3 minutes (Mina talking shit) it would actualy very good episode. First episode is an interesting side story to manga, but rest of the series is a bad parody of manga.

Comment by Firelord
    06:07 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ironic then how episode 4 and onward started using more manga material for the story.

Comment by Ramen-sama
    01:20 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wouldn't mind giving her the shaft.

Comment by Dark Mage
    09:45 18/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well she is 500 years old so I guess it would be ok except in Australia.

04:55 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I see what you mean there.

Comment by Mikurus_Boobs
    12:50 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's what she said- lol

I love the pic. Is she throwing up a 'Gang Sign' to her vampyre niggaz- or in her case a 'Vamp Sign'?

Comment by DFC
    01:14 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

SHAFT quality as expected. Well at last once they have their Bakemonogatari done then they can better concentrate on DitVB.

>implying DitVB is 2nd tier :(

Comment by First Posting Idiot
    10:57 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm willing to wait as long as they don't half ass their production. The show seems interesting enough so far.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    01:42 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

After delaying it since January, you'd think they'd expanded their workforce.

Well, its coming out this week (or today), from what i've read...

18:25 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They're still reacting to changes that came about during/after the Bakemonogatari broadcast. Even in the more profitable skilled industries it can take months to fill positions.

01:40 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

More importantly, they better not pull any of the "not animated" screen for Vampire Bund after delaying it.

05:52 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Parts of the show already look like a slide show with moving mouths, it can't get much worse.

Comment by LUMINCE
    10:31 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You severely generalize the difficulty of animation.

Going to have to agree with Darkrockslicer here and say that Shaft is nice as it is and doesn't need a bigger production team that have the chance of failing to grasp the essence that Shaft holds.

The actual content released is really not too dependant on working out all the backgrounds and finishing up all the animation. If it's one thing Shaft has proven to me is that their individual approach at dealing with lack of production time but making up for it with they way they succeed in portraying the characters in the anime.

Saying it's a slide show with moving mouths is really superficial.

Comment by Sylar
    01:07 18/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry but there usual way although it worked well with other anime it doesn't work well will Dance in the Vampire Bund.

Comment by BlaqCat
    05:08 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

But we know that it's more than possible to hapen....and that's the sad thing.

08:16 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I just need to remember watch this series.

Comment by Chris
    07:22 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't care if they're a week late, as long as it's not Bakemonogatari episode 10 all over again.

Comment by Schrobby
    07:43 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

When SHAFT doesn't stop that shit their titles should go to another studio.

14:58 18/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wouldn't mind if the DitVB anime weren't such utter crap.

I'm amazed this comes from the same studio that did something as good as Bakemonogatari. >_:

Comment by nocturne
    11:56 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Empty frames don't constitute quality. It's not like they're artisans of detail either. Given the relative dearth of visual content their productions have, they may as well make sure each frame has a level of storytelling impact on par with a single page of a really good short story. But they don't really do that.

Clean, sleek drawings? Yes. Anything else? No, not really.

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    06:15 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

While most studios go for more animated frames per episode, SHAFT opts to put emphasis on the quality of the content they deliver.

A small extraordinary talented team is better suited for that. I think they understand that so they avoid hiring more employees simply for quantity.