last-rebellion-screenshots-001

Nippon Ichi’s newly released PS3 RPG “Last Rebellion” has already been awarded the dubious honour of “Worst Game of 2010” candidacy.

Even just looking at its gorgeous PSP-level graphics probably does do the game justice:

last-rebellion-screenshots-002
last-rebellion-screenshots-015
last-rebellion-screenshots-016
last-rebellion-screenshots-017
last-rebellion-screenshots-018
last-rebellion-screenshots-019
last-rebellion-screenshots-020

Possibly the game is intended to do well overseas as an “anime RPG,” explaining the reliance on English dubbing (which Japanese users complained was unnatural, coupled with the Japanese dialogue at least).

Players report poor acting, bad graphics, usability problems, bad map design, a substandard battle system and a lack of balance. Just about everything, in fact.

A Nippon Ichi employee reportedly bragged that the game could sell a million copies.

For the sake of Japan’s gaming industry, it would probably be best if no further games vied for the title this year.

02:05 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

2010 just begin. Worst game are to come XD

Comment by vanchrian
    01:41 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm not totally surprised that a company known for making a mostly 2D RPGs (even then, mostly strategy ones at that), didn't fair so well making a 'fully' 3D aRPG for the first(?) time. . .

Hopefully NIS continues the Disgaea series with improved visuals and camera control, and gets a new team to develop any other future planned aRPGs

02:25 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it's sad they don't sell it for pc. Really would like to play this.

05:19 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The red haired guy is totally not Ash from Tales of the Abyss.

In fact, that outfit is totally not alike either.

15:58 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The cake is a lie.

05:49 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hwy does everyone complain. when they com out with an 8-bit remake everyone is happy, but when they use simple graphics on something thats not a remake everyones says fuck you this game sucks?

04:59 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I must say...I like the sword design...if that gives it any credit...>.>

04:53 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"The entire game is dubbed exclusively in English (the Japanese version is subtitled in Japanese)"

so no dual voice than, no wonder this game will not do any better in the west, mos of NI fans used withhj dual voice game here(like disgaea),it is obvious that the japanese fans will not want to hear that crappy english dub, I wonder how come they use english dub for japanese

01:01 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Is that the same announcer from the trailer for "My Girlfriend Is The President"?

22:36 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

OK! my first impression is either the art style is like that or they didn't put enough effort in doing it in the first place.

Sadly I would have to yield to the fact that graphics "IS" important especially if the game is designed on the PS3. If you were looking for a game with it's charm lies in the gameplay, get a PSP, DS, Wii. Compared to PS3 and it's hardware specification I would say this game is half-assed done with it's graphics. Gameplay-wise, story-wise, mechanics and what-not are still on pending with my criticism.

But in the end graphics are still just graphics, it's just eye-candy, I still believe that gameplay/playability/"fun-factor" are still more important than graphics. Mind you graphics "IS" still important.

Comment by doleur
    22:48 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Let's not all get ahead of ourselves.

Why not play the game first before agreeing with the Japanese gamers or something?

22:33 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

...This game is undeserving of it's beautiful CGs. *_*

21:52 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If this was a PSP game, i'd understand. BUT PS3?! And the graphics are that horrid?!

The devs must've been either lazy or rushing the game.

I'd buy this game, but only in the $5 PS3 bin at walmart.

22:04 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck you guys, I'd buy it. Why? Just because.

Comment by everend
    22:27 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

u are nothing but bloody rich ?

00:42 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a budget game. Priced at MSRP 40 bucks (in its target western market) and I'm sure less then that soon.

I'm severely disappointed in no Japanese voice even in JP version (wonder why the song was not in English though), but I can overlook that.

Considering that I'm an aspiring game developer and my modelling skill level is that of Half-Life 1, I'm also looking into this game from an academic standpoint... I'm sure some soft-tone shading will be able to mask the otherwise low level modelling done here.

btw I'm not the same Anonymous of 22:04

23:02 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, that's what will happen when you didn't bring Talong akehito Harada and her awesome lolis into the game, Nippon Ichi...

00:51 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol "Japanese dialog unnatural in english". Good luck with that argument, we have been trying it overseas since forever and no one seems to understand.

23:55 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks decent to me.

Comment by motaku96
    06:01 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Graphics fail ps3 level, but the gameplay looks interesting.

06:12 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It doesn't seem that bad...but I guess I'd have to see a gameplay demo or something. I personally don't mind the graphics, but if the gameplay sucks as much as the people claim it does, then maybe it isn't worth paying for.

Comment by TheLAG
    13:00 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why does it seem that everything that Nippon Ichi has made after Phantom Brave has been a disappointment?

Even the other two Disgaea were a bit lackluster.

13:22 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Heh that game looks anime as fuck. I'll buy it if the price is right and the gameplay is decent.

13:37 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

all those characters...look so....copied

12:38 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They're doing it cheap.

I'd bet even money that they got NISA to farm out the voice acting to the US voice actors over here who haven't had a job since the anime market crash, who'd probably do the work for a fraction of the cost of even the least-recognized Japanese VAs. I'm sure I could have ADV's voice actors read XKCD to me for pocket change.

11:56 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All of NIS games that they make with other companies suck. The ones they do themselves like disgaea, phantom brave, soul nomad, and makai kingdom are good.

10:37 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This game will be $50 when it comes out at 2/23/10

10:25 06/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

OMG... I've just witnessed the epic processing power that is PS2!!

Oh wait...

06:10 05/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Eh, Hitmaker were responsible for the shitterrifying PSP RPG 'Blade Dancer' so I'm not all that surprised.

17:34 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well at least there is White Knight Chronicles International. Just got my copy today and I'm really happy with it so far.

Comment by カンチ
    01:31 05/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

NIS....You fucking up.Make a game the everyone wants to play please.You can't just rely on your early 2000's establish fans and 500,000 units per game ship outs to MAKE THE GAME SELL OUT.New concepts that don't call for 70 hr repetitive exploits of a revisitable portions of the game might be a good idea.They are so used to not every really have to design a game from the ground up that they once again said,"Fuck this,we don't have to try hard on presentation."

03:07 05/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

English voice only? Bad idea. Wrong direction. If they were targting North American market, N1S core demographic likes Japanese voices.

The graphics do look like they don't meet ps3 standards but that's not my main concern. Gameplay getting dinged in reviews is a big worry.

Comment by TC-man
    07:22 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The singing voice in the trailer somehow reminds me of the opening song of Goemon64 for the N64. Same singer?

As for the game itself, I actually quite like the artwork and design. The English is not that bad, but it could be better of course. Know what, I think the game developers want to cut costs by hiring some English speaking part-timers, since Japanese voice-actors can be relatively expensive, especially the famous ones like, e.g. Rie Kugimiya. They don't bother to include English subtitles to match the English (spoken) dialogues.

06:30 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This proves how Nippon Ichi is a bad developer. All they can do correctly is rehash the same Disgea formula every game, and can't even make significant improvements upon the genre. When they try do something else, they fail miserably, and even their first PS3 game was a ripoff. Paying $60 for a game that's essentially the same as a PSP or PS2 game? No thanks.

Only that Prinny game was good, since Platforming game's aren't hard to make.

06:24 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm not interested, but yeah, I'm guessing it will sell well. A lot of crappy games for all systems sell well nowadays.

09:37 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Western JRPG fans'll probably eat this shit up. Just look at what happened to Eternal Sonata.

10:21 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The dude with the red hair looks like Asch from Tales of The Abyss.

Comment by Dnman
    08:08 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't know if it's all ready said, but is it just me or do those green monsters look exactly like Fallout 3's super mutants?

08:18 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Is that Michael McConnohie I hear?

19:13 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I must say that the graphic is kinda unique .. a balance between 3D realistic with cel shading graphic. but unique != good.
    oh well, too bad we can't have japanese audio with english subtitle

Comment by Yuuyu
    07:47 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Funny, the first thing I thought was "where have I seen these graphics before?"
    I remembered, Last Chaos, released by Aeria Games. This game looks _a lot_ like LC, on my now 4yo pc.

Comment by SaruDa
    19:12 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The decision of a company named "日本一" to target a game primarily at the west seems like a bad idea in and of itself.

NIS has an incredible repertoire though, and they need to be proven unworthy, not the other way around.

19:12 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>The entire game is dubbed exclusively in English (the Japanese version is subtitled in Japanese), as Nippon Ichi intends to unleash the game on the rest of the world in February and March.

They're doing it wrong.

19:08 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So.. when is Nippon Ichi gonna release the PSP version?

19:15 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

bad graphics --> worst game ever
    FLAWLESS LOGIC!!!

Comment by everend
    20:06 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>Players report poor acting, bad graphics, usability problems, bad map design, a substandard battle system and a lack of balance

Learn to read, moron.

19:26 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't say anything about the game itself, but the voice acting in that video clip wasn't bad. No, I'm used to bad English dubbing in video games. Tales of Vesperia was above (the very piss poor) average and every breath from that game made me cringe. Even Nippon-ichi games are typically trash in this regard - I would have never beaten Disgaea (one of my favorite games) if I couldn't at least turn the cut scene dialog to Japanese.

That said, poor game mechanics and balancing is pretty par for the course for N1, unfortunately. It's not that they've got their heart in the wrong place, it's that they're hit or miss and typically don't consider repercussions of their design decisions to the logical conclusion. I love them anyway.

19:27 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Worst Game of 2010"? No, that title has already been claimed by Final Fantasy XIII and if it counts, Star Ocean The Last hope: International.

Japanese gamers are just getting their panties in a bunch because this game uses an English dub track. And bad graphics? How come nobody complained about Disgaea 3 then?

20:14 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If you seriously think FF13 is worst game of the year you are a seriously retarded hating/trolling faggot of epic proportions.

I bet you haven't even played the fucking game.

Just another anon hater, get laid and stfu.

Comment by vanchrian
    01:41 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You actually want him to experience the joys of getting laid?