Tokyo “Most Beautiful City in Asia”

kisaragi-chihaya-idolmaster-tokyo-tower-by-maru-watarou

Top business rag Forbes has compiled a list of what its urban connoisseurs consider the most beautiful cities in the world, and whilst the “City of Light” occupying the top spot will come as no surprise, its disdain for the cities of Asia might – only Tokyo features, scraping in last as an afterthought, but still holding the laurels for being the best of Asia.

The list:

10-london-big-ben

10. London, UK

11-cambridge

11. Cambridge, UK

12-tokyo-imperial-palace

12. Tokyo, Japan

The likes of Hong Kong, Kyoto or Singapore evidently don’t get so much as a look in.

08:48 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wtf?! That isn't London! It doesn't have grey concrete or CCTV cameras in plain sight. It's not London.

09:40 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Surprised but pleased to see Cape Town there. It really is a lovely city, probably the only nice one in Africa.

07:56 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've only been to 2 cities listed (8.Chicago, 9.New York) . But I know the list is invalid because Chicago is there.

Comment by Kitsune9Tails
    07:48 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree, I'd put Kyoto or Nara over Tokyo for cities in Japan. Never visited Hokkaido, maybe Hakodate or Sapporo is better?

As for US, I can't see Chicago or New York being "beautiful". SF, sure. I'd also pimp Boulder, CO as a very beautiful place (right near the Rocky Mountains), although it might be too small to qualify and Denver is pretty but too far from the mountains to beat a lot of other cities. And what about S. American cities like Rio or Buenos Aires? Never been there, are they not nice enough to count?

Don't really agree with London, although I've only been there once. Seems like other European cities have cooler architecture and more picturesque surroundings.

Can't argue with Italy, though. Nor Cape Town. Damn, it looks amazing.

07:17 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hong Kong is definitely the most beautiful city in Asia. The view from Victoria Peak at night is absolutely stunning. Honestly, what the hell was Forbes thinking? Tokyo just doesn't compare to it.

Comment by EleutheroZeroONE
    07:30 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Tôkyô may be 12th most beautiful, but it's still beautiful!

Comment by Dirty_Dingus008
    10:10 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sydney? Where those retards judging by brochures and travel guides picked up at their local bookstore?

My carrier stop there and I gave the city a "walkabout" and it looks like.. any other city with nasty ass alleys, bums digging thru garbage cans on the Main Street! An amazing lack of any form of traffic on the streets, like I was back in Moscow in the '80s again. Completely Empty of people on the streets and this was on a FRIDAY! Old buildings where rare to find, and a lot of empty stores too. One looked like it had just shut down. Every watch 'I am Legend'? The amount of lurkers equaled about how many people I saw on that FRIDAY in downtown Sydney!

"Beautiful Desolation" be more apropos. Watched 'Initial D' the live action movie there and enjoyed that at least.

12:48 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

When on earth did you come to Sydney and where did you go? I've lived here for three years now (in the CBD) and have never ever seen the streets deserted. Though I won't contest the bums part, it is a shame that homelessness seems to be such an issue here :/

Comment by Manji88
    10:51 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I love Tokyo for its energy, but beauty? Sorry, no. You can't just show the Imperial Palace and say, "This is a beautiful city!"
    Every city has bad and good areas (except Detroit and maybe Beirut) but it's the balance that matters.
    With that criteria in mind, one of the most beautiful cities I've visited was Belfast!

12:06 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm from Vancouver and I gotta say...

...seriously? We got 2nd? Is something wrong with these guys?

12:17 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Since when the hell is CHICAGO on the list? that place is a shit hole man. And 3 US cities? That can't be right..

06:06 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's so obvious, they rank Vancouver the second because of winter Olympic game in order to attract appeal more foreigners.

04:51 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Being from the UK im wondering why anywhere from the UK is actually in there. I mean maybe that 1 location in cambridge while the sun is shining and there are a few boats in the river, then just maybe.

I've been to paris, its nice to look at but i've also been to Florence and that it a mile above Paris.

Comment by Kinny Riddle
    04:05 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I see the folks in Forbes have been playing a lot of Assassin's Creed II lately to place Florence and Venice so high up the list, no? ;)

Not that I'm complaining, as having visited both cities, I do agree they are wonderful places to visit. So no offense intended to any Italian anons out there. :)

But no Rome? And how did Vancouver get so high as to ride above other more historical cities?

03:52 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Paris? Ummm, what? Paris is only attractive to people who have never been there before. Enjoy stepping in dog shit. I don't think Tokyo is that great of a city, but at least it's clean. It's probably the cleanest major city that I've been to. I'd rank Kyoto above it though.

Comment by Pyrolight
    04:00 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Like others who are Canadian here, I am wondering why in the hell Vancouver made no. 2. Nice city but no. 2? The hell?

05:16 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

San Francisco has pretty parts, but even as a tourist I've ended up in the ugly ones without even trying, so um.

05:54 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

it's because Union Square (major shopping area) is a few blocks away from the Tenderloin
    I imagine tourists don't even know that the Tenderloin is right there and that you shouldn't go in that area at night
    lulz

05:18 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I LIVE in Chicago, and this place is pretty trashy. The suburbs are nice, the city is trash.

For Hong Kong, it's a nice city and clean for Chinese standards, but I wouldn't place it in the one of the top cities in the world. High on the list, but not top 10.

14:10 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

you must end up in the west side all the time.

I've seen all these cities and I can tell you; they got as must slums if you look around.

What makes these American cities on the list is that if you look around they service almost anything you want. And the laws are generally accepted through out the world. If you rape someone YOU get punished and not the raped pregnant woman.

06:03 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've never been to Paris before, but my friends said the people there are so cocky and the streets are so dirty. Unless you speak their language...
    I think what makes a place really beautiful is that do u feel welcoming.

05:26 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What about Vienna, the city of classical music and the most livable city in the world?

Comment by janus000
    19:01 01/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed, the most beautiful cities in Europe are Paris, Vienna, St Petersbourg and Rome.
    I'm french but i still think this list is weird.

And London was beautiful (even stunning i should say) in the Victorian era, nowadays the beauty of this city has been ruined, it doesn't deserve to be in this list.

17:46 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

vancouver gets these awards for its mountain and water nothing out of the ordinary. For those that are surprised should see the top 10 lists vancouver always get in.

14:11 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Barcelona? Istanbul? Prague? Budapest? Singapore? All worth a place on the list. Tokyo isn't actually all that beautiful either, having been there 2 weeks ago, but this list is questionable.

00:17 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think,rather than a list of the most beautiful cities, this is just simply a list of the most well known or popular cities.

Cambridge?

Bleh...

01:27 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Surprised that Hong Kong is not on the list.

03:36 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Whoever voted Paris onto that list has clearly never been there. Only seen tourist post cards or something.

17:18 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

1. I live in Chicago. Chicago is a good city, and not a shithole. I grew up in and LIVE in the South Side all my life. Those who say Chicago fucking sucks need to go to other parts of the city. Near West Side, North Side, Near South Side, etc. Fuck, the "ghetto" looks pretty cool and old-school.

11:51 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lulz @ San Francisco > Tokyo. xD

22:53 23/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

San Francisco is highly ranked? Are you fucking shitting me? That's one of the ugliest, grimiest cities in the world, and it's full of faggots and homeless everywhere you look.

06:26 24/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Tokyo is hideous. Finding the one nice looking place to photograph doesn't make it a nice city.

18:30 31/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Vancouver is being underrated here, it's quite a beautiful city.

22:24 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree that Hong Kong shouldn't be on the list. It's an example of awful urban planning where cars matter more than people. There is little to no communication between urban renewal, roadworks and land planning, so development goes to the highest bidder, megamalls and 80-floor apartment complexes are eating away at everything, and trees and grass are an afterthought. Let's not forget the pollution, both coming from cars and flowing in from China. I love living here, it's my home, but there's a reason I take a yearly trip to Japan.

To go to Akiba.

21:09 26/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Woo!

I live in cambridge.

great list, I need to visit some of those places.

07:57 22/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My city \o/. Not perfect, but a great city.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    15:57 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Couldn't care less about the snobs. Many cities not on the list have their very unique charms.

16:26 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Chicago. Really.

17:28 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I know this list is pointless, simply because I know of all the cities on it. Any such list which was remotely serious I'd expect to be dominated by small continental 'hidden treasure' cities which most people wouldn't recognise, save perhaps from the name of a football team.

Comment by Mimi
    15:24 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

dude when i first saw cambridge i thought it was cambridge, mass and i was like "nuh uh" cuz it's kinda ugly here no offense.

Comment by Soljashy
    15:23 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yay, Cape Town!

Comment by Dark Mage
    14:55 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The thing is many cites look beautiful from a distance and when you just see the clean parts.
    But if you get off the beaten path be prepared to be disappointed and none are very pretty during rush hour.

17:51 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How did Venice not take the top spot of "Most beautiful," that in my opinion is a mistake or some kind.

Comment by mirkosp
    20:59 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of Berlin, I found that city to be quite amazing when I visited it.

Comment by bblover
    20:23 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Big time BS list.

Having lived in Germany for most of my life, I would say, no list is complete without at least 1 GERMAN City.

19:38 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

woot australia 3rd!!

18:53 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

for the pic of tokyo, those stonecliff awfully resembles the one i saw a white man scaling it while being chased. hm.

Comment by GHS
    19:37 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Vancouver is second eh... I don't know, things seem pretty average here. Too much rain if anything. I'd think Venice or Florence would be it here any day but maybe that's just foreign wonder. What I don't get even more is how New York can be considered beautiful. Just looks like a massive a massive Lego piece set with so many blocks sticking out.

Comment by 13k
    23:23 31/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I really can't agree with this list.
    Any major city (read: overpopulated) can't be considered beautiful in my list.

What were their criteria? Based on the number of city lights per square block, as seen from their posh hotel rooms??

23:22 31/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yay! No Metro Manila!!!

07:50 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Manila was dubbed as the "Queen of the Pacific" about 80 years ago, but apparently lost its title to other beautiful Asian cities like Singapore, Hongkong and Tokyo decades later.

Thanks to mismanagement, corruption and overpopulation, Manila had turned itself into a one complete shit hole. It's streets, which is used to be compared with those of Paris, is now populated by primitive savages. Manila Bay was clear and pristine back then, but now it had became a giant septic tank. The stench of garbage, human excrement and urine reeks everywhere. Having mugged by savages is an everyday experience. :-/

FAILippines, fuck yeah. I hope someone drops the nuke on the city. I'm already devising plans to get the fuck out of this Third World cesspool and then migrate to the most beautiful city in Asia: Tokyo.

19:33 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Your comments about Manila remind me of Saigon.

23:58 31/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

well metro manila is something need correction its suppose to be manila only lol and yes its quite safe to assume the we filipinos are still in hell hole status