Nanoha Movie Premieres

nanoha_movie_01

The premiere of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 1st, has come and gone, giving otaku a bonanza of character goods, queue-making, and of course the wonderful chance to see yet another big name series receive a new theatrical adaptation.

The following images should bring some comfort to those unable to attend a screening themselves:

nanoha_movie_02

This photo above, taken at the Milano theatre in Shunjuku, shows the main cast of Nanoha at a meet-the-seiyuu event that started early Saturday afternoon.

The exterior of the Milano:

nanoha_movie_03
nanoha_movie_04

Eager otaku waiting in one of their notorious lines.

nanoha_movie_04c

The otaku shown in line before were specifically waiting for the seiyuu panel;  the sign above marks the start of the line.

nanoha_movie_04b

The photo above is again of otaku waiting, but this time over 200km to the west of Tokyo, outside Nagoya’s Cinema 109.

Unlike the large multiplex cinemas more common in the West, Japan tends towards having a fewer number of screens in its theatres, which often allows a small “movie goods” section in the foyer area.

Anime movies naturally almost always have these sorts of goods booths, and the Milano’s booth is shown below:

nanoha_movie_05

Some of the wonderful goodies to be had:

nanoha_movie_06
nanoha_movie_07
nanoha_movie_08
nanoha_movie_09
nanoha_movie_10
nanoha_movie_11

The offerings above are fairly typical for anime movies, ranging from T-shirts to posters and other miscellaneous knickknacks, but the item below is somewhat unusual…

nanoha_movie_12

This is a “Repeat Points Card”, another one of the customer loyalty-building bonus cards so loved in Japan.

This specific one offers a small portrait to those who have seen the movie twice, but the real prize comes with 3 repeat viewings; the lucky customer receives a film cel printing made off of film stock from the movie!

The happy owners of these cels are understandably proud – here are just a few of many such pictures upload to 2ch:

nanoha_movie_13
nanoha_movie_14
nanoha_movie_15

Such film cels are obviously quite collectible (not to mention sellable) and a big prize for those otaku able to get their hands on on, although the frames were apparently given out at random by the theatre crew, so fans were not able to specifically pick which frames from the movie they desired.

nanoha_movie_16

An ita-truck advertising the movie in Tokyo, a not at all unknown occurrence for otaku marketing.

Some more images of the ita-truck and its little brother spotted in Ikebukuro:

nanoha_movie_itasha

nanoha_movie_itasha_02

The less than eclectic otaku audience, at the Milano:

nanoha_movie_17

This latest anime movie release continues a banner year of sorts for otaku oriented films – starting from Spring 2009 we’ve been treated to the second Gurren Lagann movie, Evangelion 2.0, the first Macross F film, Nanoha the Movie, and next month’s Haruhi movie, all adaptations of top-name series; some have speculated that movies have replaced some of the full series lost in the latest seasons.

It certainly has been a great time to be a cinema-going otaku…

Be sure to see the rest of the coverage from Gigazine, Daienjou and Akiba Blog.

Comment by Tateha
    06:01 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

nanoha is a great franchise. I hope to see the rest of the series continue immediately after A's in some form or another. Personally the age jump from A's to StrikerS was too much, and the show was overall bad. What about junior high and high school man? either way looking forward to more nanoha.

Comment by Myballz
    06:22 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I would watch this only if they release this in 3D!

Comment by Kinny Riddle
    03:27 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"It certainly has been a great time to be a cinema-going otaku�"

Indeed it seems to be for those IN Japan, though how lucky would those of us outside of Japan be to even watch this (bar fansubs from rips of Japanese DVD raws) remains to be seen, depending on the mood of the distributors. Most would probably be very happy for even a low-profile local DVD release.

I must say I was very, very lucky to be able to watch the Rebuild of Evangelion movies in my local cinemas. ^^

(BTW, Quen, you left out Eden of the East in that list of anime movies you mentioned. :p )

Comment by Ichiro Ino
    03:34 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

3rd pic, whale poster.

Isn't that the shame show Yotsuba likes?

Comment by Nin
    04:46 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You can tell it was Quen who posted this article by the way of writing. I like that.

Comment by Quen
    06:08 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's a good thing, I hope? ^^;

12:32 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's pretty easy to distinguish between Arte and Quen's writings. Quen is a happy-go-lucky and complimenting type while Arte is more to tsun-tsun one..

06:45 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn i wish they do this kind of stuff in the USA :S Nanoha its a really great show, i always think if anime is so great there, why isnt so great in other places mmmhh...

08:34 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

once "magical girl" is attached, people outside of the Japan instantly think of something like Sailor Moon and snub it off their radar. now if they had Magic Chronicle on it earlier instead, that would've been a different story.

Comment by T-Joker
    17:12 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Must watch it at all costs (if I have the cost ofc)

12:45 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Feito is LOVE!

23:05 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is so lame - grown-ups watching cartoons

get a life you psychos

23:45 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why are you on this site...

00:33 26/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've posted to get a reaction...Unfortunately I'm an otaku too you know

18:09 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And not a female patron in sight... I don't think. I think I see one? Maybe?

Comment by man1
    16:09 29/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"...but the real prize comes with 3 repeat viewings; the lucky customer receives a film cel printing made off of film stock from the movie!"

Now THAT is what I call a souvenir. Lame ones such as keychains, T-shirts and such are SO last century. Although needing to watch the movie 3 times would make the movie makers' wallets thicker and fans' thinner, at least everyone has a chance of acquiring the film cells rather than through some lame @$$ contests which only the luckiest would win.

Fans lucky enough to get film cells of scene changes from 1 scene to another must be the happiest people on Earth.

I APPROVE!

00:34 26/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i want the film strips! WTF lucky bitches.

Damn its gonna take a while for the DVD to come out :(
    makes me wanna fly over to japan right now just to watch the movie 3 times.

11:09 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Go yugio.... I mean nanoha

08:18 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This show wasn't even that good in the first place!

WHY DOES IT GET ALL THIS ATTENTION?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

10:48 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

because naive people like yourself make other people find out for themselves by watching it and then proving you wrong.

09:49 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And just yesterday the Unlimited Blade Works movie went public. Damn, this is a good winter.

09:58 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So many trolls on Sankaku.

This movie was great. Far better than my expectations allowed. And quite frankly, it puts shame to UBW, despite being an AU of the first season.

10:32 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nanoha really reminds me of Gundam.... But with liquid moe all over it....

03:08 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

In b4 Fate's ass.

Comment by motaku96
    03:03 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've been following this event and the moments leading up to it for a several weeks now. I'm glad it got an article :3

23:00 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Cinema-going otaku? I'd thought they'd just hide at home and download the movie.

22:52 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Most important part seems to be missing from the news: How was it?

Comment by Quen
    06:25 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I was more focused on the miscellaneous going-ons surrounded the premiere rather than the actual movie itself, sorry for that.

22:50 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No K-On movie?

23:06 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah, the Tokyo Milano... Now that's one cool old theater... Used to be a stage theater, and it's got a huge capacity, old fashioned curtains and everything.

I saw Speed Racer in there and it was pretty neat. Right in the middle of Kabukicho in Shinjuku so I bet all those otaku were shitting themselves when waiting in line for the late showing...

23:12 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought they weren't going to call her "magical girl" anymore. She is technically older than a good portion of the theater audience now.

23:23 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

bah...most animes movies are just a review of past tv episodes but in high resolution D:

Comment by Actar
    23:46 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Besides, it's not ALWAYS. The Haruhi movie is completely new content while the Evnagelion, Fate/Stay Night, Nanoha Movie and Macross Frontier movies put new twists on the current series, with completely new animatoin, scenes, dialogue and plot.

Really naive and generalizing comment... Though I won't deny that such movies do exist that are simple reedits of the TV show.

01:22 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You think that's horrible? Wait till you watched or see Vandread The "Movie"..

23:12 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ARGH!!!! I bought two Nanoha Movie Tickets in Japan and I have no way to watch the movie... This is exceedingly depressing...

22:48 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn, I don't live in Japan... I don't even get to enjoy all these anime movies... D:

22:41 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I hate anime movies, its never anything new and always rehashes of the series.

22:52 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

But it's quite a seldom chance that we get to see anime playing inside cinemas

Comment by DeathCrunch
    00:02 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's only true maybe 10% of the time.
    A lot of movies are original storys and quite a lot are continuations (liek the Haruhi one, Naruto, Pokemon, Digimon ect).
    Though some of the shit ones like Ghost int eh Shell and Eva are usually just re-hashes, yeah. Most of the movies are just remixes of other movies @_@

22:24 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

To hell with Nanoha!
    Give us a Pretty Sammy movie instead!

Comment by Lucifer
    23:56 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

...Is that you Schrobby?

Comment by pooooopy
    00:58 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

it's a loli movie

I dont think he'd mind

Comment by Schrobby
    01:05 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nope, wasn't me. Although I'd love to see a Pretty Sammy movie following the original OVAs there's nothing wrong with Nanoha. I like all mahou loli. ^_^

22:24 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm sorry but putting Fate on that box with wheels does not make it any prettier.
    Truck is cool though.

Comment by kuromatsu
    22:20 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

damn i wished to be there T-T

Comment by Schrobby
    01:02 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The idiot who bought 30 tickets for the Haruhi movie some days ago probably thought he'd get 10 Haruhi cells... ^_^

Comment by Actar
    03:32 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So, they won't be doing the same merchandising thing for the Haruhi Movie?

Comment by Quen
    06:07 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hi Actar - Like I said in the article, anime movies get that sort of merchandising by default, so of course the Haruhi movie will also have lots of goodies on sale, luckily.

Comment by Quen
    06:29 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I would always try to cover a newly airing anime movie, as long as I'm not on one of my innumerable breaks from writing when one comes up. I just adore this sort of thing.

Try asking me about the limited edition goods I've bought at these theatre booths before...

Haruhi is just around the corner, so that's likely a no-go, but you could try for the second Macross film or Eva 3.0 in the future perhaps? ^^

Comment by Actar
    06:25 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey Quen! 'Luckily' you say? Not for me... Right now, I'm contemplating wasting more money on buying most of these merchandise off Yahoo! Japan Auctions at super-inflated prices. Want that Ribbon set and a cell... I'm a sucker for the limited edition goods.

Another thing, is of course, not knowing of the existence of such event-only exclusives until it's too late. Do post an article on the Haruhi and Macross moveis too okay? (^.^)

I now wish I had gone to Japan now instead of last December... Could have stayed over for WonderFest as well. (^.^;)

Comment by Marine-RX179
    08:54 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

...or may be he will get the honour of watching Endless Eight Arc 10 times FOR FREE!