Sankaku Channel 3.0

beako-kono-rorikon-domo-me

Sankaku Channel, now with nearly 700,000 images, has received a wide variety of significant upgrades to both site and server, detailed below.

Auto-paging:

Navigation now uses an “endless page,” with new thumbnails automatically loaded in as the window is scrolled down, making browsing large numbers of images an easy and intuitive process. The page can be scrolled until no more images are left to display.

This can of course be readily turned off by using the option in the sidebar; links to traditional pages are placed in the sidebar to aid navigation or serve as bookmarks.

Voting & Popularity:

The scoring system has been revised – now scores are based on a five star rating, divided by the number of votes to give a proper average rather than a simple absolute score. Score also now takes into account factors such as favouriting and number of views.

This should allow the most well received content to rapidly surface, making it much easier to find items of interest.

It is apparent that users of such voting systems tend to give high votes for items they like and refrain from voting at all on items they dislike or are indifferent to – voters are asked to balance their voting if possible.

Additionally, the top rated posts from any given tag or search are now displayed at the top of the first page of a query, along with a link to full ranking of posts by score.

Large Images:

Some images may be available at file sizes and resolutions far larger than most would desire, and at sizes which may strain both browsers and connections. A reasonably sized preview is now always displayed by default, with the larger version linked from the image itself. Details of file sizes and resolutions are displayed in the sidebar on the left.

Server Upgrades:

The site also now resides on a new, more powerful server, running on faster software, and shares the same network connection as the main site itself – previously there had been complaints of poor routing, so this relocation should fully alleviate that issue.

A considerable variety of less conspicuous additional features have also been upgraded or added – these can be discovered readily enough through normal use.

Further upgrades and refinements are expected to continue.

As usual, any comments or feedback are welcome; otherwise by all means proceed to the server proper.

14:59 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a problem with the auto-paging though. It tends to repeat images that were posted 2-3 times when I scroll down.

Comment by Velichi
    16:32 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've seen something similar when I hit the end of an auto page (around page 70) and try to resume the list (by clicking on page 70 to see if it'll load 70 or 71 through 140.)

Comment by Kip
    15:11 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Fantastic! I've been using an auto-pager extension on Seamonkey for a while and have been really enjoying it.

I think that simple addition will make the channel stand apart from others.

Comment by Pyrolight
    14:17 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Aliaus said:
    What revolutionary concept will Artefact come up with next?!?!?!

Auto pools I hope...

17:33 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome! Selecting images for a new wallpaper will be so much easier!

Comment by rebolledo2kx
    16:15 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Congratularions by 3kaku complex channel...
    thans 4 being part of my life
    (sorry, my engirsh poor....)

15:55 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Viewing the new image board on Chrome and all seems to be find. Tried viewing it in Safari 4, and no images actually load up.

I know auto-paging works in Safari 4 as the Bing search engine works fine with it. Hope this can be resolved soon. Loving the changes tho b^_^

Comment by xaeroak15
    10:24 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Bravo!

A small issue is that, I suggest you'd better have a limit of uploadings for a day. I'm checking sankaku by date, so if in a day there are too many uploadings(2000 or 3000+) it does a disaster...

Comment by diskonline
    10:40 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

me too, sometimes when I enter the channel and start to right click - save as images, I found that the speed of the images' uploading is even faster then my downloading, that's interesting.

Comment by Pyrolight
    07:30 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

motaku96 said:
    There are tag aliases.

Well get on it. Chop chop :P
    On a side note, ordering is funnnnnn... so much fun.

Comment by motaku96
    07:40 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If you click on tag then aliases on the channel, you can see a list of all the aliases.

Comment by Pyrolight
    07:29 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Tenno_Seremel said:
    Maybe there should be tag aliases? At least it'll work for “gothic_loli and gothic_lolita” issues.

I don't think Sankaku channel have them. Or is it not worth it?

I post over on DB and yes aliases rock. The image board is the same format so I think it should be possible.

Comment by Pyrolight
    08:18 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

MasterYuke said:
    endless pages allow me to fap with so much more ease than clicking page after page!

You fap to thumbnails?

09:07 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sankaku BANZAI!

17:38 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hooray to the new Sankaku Channel! Thanks Artefact!
    And nice picture btw

17:39 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

whoa, auto-paging ftw

Comment by Time Jon
    17:03 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As of a week ago, the channel worked for me just fine. Although it was slow, even on my fast connection, I figured that it was either heavy traffic or just large file sizes on the images themselves.

Now, however, over the last two days, the site doesn't even load. Any image specific file I try to access white screens, and the channel itself is 'stuck' loading but never showing anything.

I live in Dallas, Texas, and at home I have Verizon Fios, with 50 mb/s speeds. Any one experiencing the same thing? Any help here would be great, I peruse the channel daily so it is like cutting out a chunk of my life >.<

Comment by Splat
    08:56 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's strange... the Channel is working fine.

Have you tried using a different browser? Or resetting your internet connection?

Comment by Riiku
    16:37 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Additionally, the top rated posts from any given tag or search are now displayed at the top of the first page of a query"

How about implementing the same thing in regular comments here on main site? No more "I'm first"bullshit, no more looking for good comments, all is accurately sorted from best to worse

Comment by Artefact

It is being discussed on the forums.

Comment by Pyrolight
    14:47 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lilith said:
    Just wondering, who draws these?
    They are awesome =)

I do. I can draw stick figures and poorly drawn stick figures.

11:53 23/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Are Japanese IP-s blocked from the Channel? I only get 404 while my friends living in Europe have no problems.

14:04 18/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Ray Ban Sunglasses,here is the online shoes for you Welcome to buy ray ban sunglasses from ourwebsite raybansunglasses-buy.info
    ray ban aviator sunglasses http://www.raybansunglasses-buy.info

Comment by HKE
    08:49 12/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Source Code? or is private?

Comment by man1
    16:17 26/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice. Another level-up for the Channel. Kampai! \(^_^

It seems the "Find Similar" function no longer use http://iqdb.hanyuu.net/, which also means no more searching through other image boards as well? How does one go about this new method? I'm stumped.

Comment by Artefact

The new find similar serves as a wrapper around iqdb - they are still compiling the results.

Comment by max301
    18:51 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

BANZAI!!!! Sankaku Ichiban!!!! BANZAI!!!!

Faptastic!!!!

17:56 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Images are nearing 1,000,000... Good luck!

Comment by Neonie
    23:23 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I still like using pages but it's not the endless page thing is there.

Comment by SpliNT
    22:29 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Auto-loading feature is great! Sankaku <3

Comment by DarkSign
    22:01 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yay! Sankaku Chan is really fast now. Thank you! And the auto-paging feature is sweet!

Comment by RopeXPantsu
    21:45 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sankaku Channel is a gift from the gods.

Comment by Tenno Seremel
    07:08 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

BTW, there is an error with calculating averages on the client side. Example:

It was: Average - 5
    Count: 2.
    I pressed 4 and and shows... 7 (AFAIK, may be wrong but more than 5). What? Refreshing the page seems to fix it so it's only client javascript update that is wrong.

Comment by Artefact

It is only client-side - I think it is already in the list, thanks.

07:04 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I am in MN, and I have a decent internet connection. But the speeds the images load at, are still atrocious for me. Besides the speed, there are still a few problems I notice. Sometimes the pages won't finish loading (they'll load halfway and stop), sometimes the images won't load at all, sometimes they load halfway and stop. Sometimes I have to rightclick->reload image/page.

I've also noticed that, the images that don't load all the way, sometimes won't save properly using the normal rightclick-saveimage function(the image is only half downloaded, meaning I have to re-download it). I've also noticed that DownThemAll for Firefox won't download (it won't even start) any images that fail to completely load in page. FreeDownloadManager however, succeeds to properly download the images that don't fully load in page.

The auto paging does not always work for me under a certain circumstance. If the page loads but is not long enough to cause the browser to generate a scroll bar, then I am unable to use the scroll wheel or mouse gestures to scroll the page down. Which means no new images are loaded, and I have to use the paged format. If the page is long enough cause the browser to generate a scroll bar, then the auto-paging does work. (This may just be the fault of 1. My browser, Firefox3 2. My monitors are all 1080p+ resolutions)

I don't mean for this to be a complaint. Rather this is just supposed to be an informative post.

On the positive side, the new features are really nice. The auto-paging is a really handy feature (when it works), since I don't have to load pages. The popular images at the top are also fairly nice.

Comment by Velichi
    16:25 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I found that to fix the auto pagination deal (for Opera) I resize the browser window from fullscreen to windowed enough to generate a scroll bar. I believe this always fixes this for me.

Comment by Artefact

I really don't like saying this, but in this case I strongly suspect it is your ISP at fault - the server is sat on a major Internet hub so there should be no connection issues with a reasonable connection, and as far as our (international) testing reveals all images are loading ok. Perhaps you could try a traceroute or similar to confirm this?

02:03 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome, now if there was just some way to fix the tags...

Comment by Artefact

Explain. You can fix them yourself?

06:37 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, it's just a pain when some images are, for example, tagged as gothic and loli separate, some gothic_loli together, some even gothic_lolita or gothic lolita...

But yeah, I guess it takes way too much effort to check on the tags of so much images, so just never mind.

Comment by Tenno Seremel
    07:34 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Then there is no problem.

Comment by motaku96
    07:28 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There are tag aliases.

Comment by Shigure
    09:33 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

thanks

Comment by Artefact

Feel free to submit some for tags which concern you (implications too if you feel up to it). Some tags get fractured into multiple terms as you saw.

Comment by Tenno Seremel
    06:56 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think Sankaku channel have them. Or is it not worth it?

Comment by Shi nai weaboo
    02:01 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Voting & Popularity

????????????????????

Comment by MoeMoeKyunBeam
    03:20 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree, is there a way to vote on articles that I'm not seeing?

04:12 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The image board was upgraded, not the actual site. Click on "images" at the top to navigate there.

02:01 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the 'http://chan.sankakustatic.com/' doesn't support resume, when I tried to download the image(s) using FDM, the file size doesn't show up and make resuming impossible. Now I must redownload it again from start, especially with the one tagged absurd_res :(

Previously when the images still hosted on the 'http://chan.sankakucomplex.com', I can get the filesize and then support resuming.

Comment by Artefact

We'll get this fixed, thanks for the report.