Schoolgirl Skirts Doomed: 80% Support Trousers

biribiri-kuroko-saten-skirt-lift-panchira-by-ha-ru

Recent survey results seem to suggest that skirts may not long remain a part of the archetypal Japanese school uniforms, with 80% approving of trousers, which have been gradually making inroads into school uniforms in recent years.

The survey of attitudes to school uniforms amidst men and women aged 20-50 drew varied results.

Regarding the issue of trousers making their way into female school uniforms, 37.8% “strongly approved” of trousers for girls, 40.3% indifferently approved, yielding a total of some 80% supporting trousers over skirts.

The division of opinion between the sexes on the issue is fairly pronounced: 88.4% of women approved of trousers versus 69.8% of men. Older age ranges were more likely to support trousers.

Reasons given for preferring trousers varied from “because it’s cold” to “as a precaution against chikan.” Reasons such as “there’s no reason to limit the choice to skirts” and “it’s better to wear trousers than end up wearing something under your skirts.”

Those demanding schoolgirls remain skirted offered up such dubious reasons as “you can wear tights or leggings so there’s no need,” “it’s not feminine” and “skirts are cuter.”

86.8% of respondents reported attending a school which had a uniform, a perhaps unexpectedly low figure. Of these, over 60% reported “liking” the uniforms in some capacity, with 11.5% greatly enamoured of them.

Actual schoolgirls were not included in the survey, but in general it seems they approve of skirts, often the shorter the better; it should also be noted that it is actually head teachers (and the school uniform fashion industry) who have the final say.

15:22 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The Japanese are fucking idiots, if you're making a survey you're supposed to ask the schoolgirls themselves, not some old farts who have little to do with it!

16:29 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I believe that almost all men, and most of the female students, would prefer skirts. A clear majority. But, let the students decide their own fashion.

Comment by Ukonkivi
    17:40 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I get to betray all the skirt lovers our there(actually, not really, they're empty kind words), but I found this personally to be really great news.

Being that they're school uniforms, women are basically forced into an outdated gender roles by the system.

I like how in the West most women wear pants to be honest, inside school, and work, and at leisure.

If you can't at least agree that it would be fine to lose the stigma for Japanese boys to wear the skirts and Japanese girls to wear the boys uniforms and it become normalized, I can't say you're not my enemy.

The only thing you can try to do to change my mind would be to try to say it would be better to eliminate gender clothing differentiation is schools altogether.

21:43 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Bleh, thats not enough. We need to eliminate gender differetiation from the roots!
    With some Surgical Procedures we can change the human race to an one gender species. The end of this babbling about men and womens, an hermafrodite species is the obvious solution.

Comment by Ukonkivi
    04:18 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I take it you're making a sarcastic statement and you think it makes any sort of keen point.

Opposition to gender roles is quite different from opposition to sex differentiation. Much less opposition to school mandated gender roles.

It's freaking clothing, not a penis or a vagina.

18:30 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

'Bout damn time.

Alright, here's the thing: My partner has major gender identity issues. I won't make you privy to their biological gender nor their preferred one. I will say, however, that knowing what I do, I can imagine how, for example, a Japanese schoolgirl with these very same issues would feel being forced by the school system to wear something that identifies and objectifies her as a girl. I don't think this is something that ought to be enforced simply so that the rest of us can have our jerk-off fantasies. The people actually WEARING the damn things should be taken into account.

Hey, if a girl feels like a man then whats the problem? A REAL man can wear anything without any trouble. True men can be GAR with skirts, just ask Kogarashi! Kukukuku!

Comment by Actar
    15:12 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Then guys should be allowed to wear skirts as well. Shouldn't limit our choices after all right?

21:38 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Scotland says "YES WE CAN"!!!
    And in fact, they do.

16:00 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Isn't it damn cold to wear skirts in winter? I sugggest pants in winter and skirts the rest of the year.

21:49 27/02/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

my school accepted trousers and i wore them. you can jump, run, sit as you like with them. And they looked great if u had good ass X,D!

23:49 13/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Here's an idea.

Maybe even if the girls wear trousers, you can still romance them just the same.

11:31 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

More like Bioware end.
    Regardless of what you do, the world always ends up fucked up.

Comment by Crazy_O
    18:59 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

money has the final say.

so we dont have to worry.

17:18 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

nextstep is a fullscale camouflage for both boys&girls

17:33 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

no skirts anymore?
    I blame the foreigners.

22:11 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I would like to add that a whole lot of females could be charged with indecent exposer for wearing light underwear under skirts. If a dude walked out and around in underwear and a skirt he would be arrested instantly. The giant cameltoe issue won't be solved with pants either. Most blue jeans for girls as well are custom fit to a girls body and guys can't wear them no matter how skinny. If you think a girl can't look great in jeans, you need glasses.

00:12 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Jeans are all they wear where I live. Even cargo pants end up looking hot in comparison. Even compared to other pants, jeans hide a lot of form...

Really, jeans are about as attractive as a small moustache.

Comment by Ota
    19:49 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

no no no definetely NO!

16:54 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Schoolgirls skirts down 80%, male skirts up 80%....

15:00 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You know why more and more men are turning to 2D characters now? Because it's getting so hard to find a "girl" in the real world. Femininity is being taken as a sign of weakness, so to try to reach a parity with men, it is being forsaken.

Then, I've thought before that's why you see so many dresses in Touhou Project... things in that world are things that have disappeared from the real world, or people stopped believing in them. It's only natural that a world like that would be full of girly girls.

14:23 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Reasons for skirts:

1. If you never wear skirts in school, you won't feel comfortable wearing them as an adult.

2. Uniform skirts can help a girl's body image. The pleats give skinny adolescent and tom-boy bodies more shape. And skirts help disguise fat hips that look unflattering in pants.

But even pants are better than no uniform. I wish our public schools had uniforms. Too much pressure to wear a particular brand, and too many cliques based on fashion. Some students can't afford or fit into the most popular fashions. Uniforms help hide economic disparity between students and put everyone on an equal fashion level.

14:14 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why not have skirts and high sock things
    that way it can be a win win.

14:15 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Next thing to do is to grow a dick and do a breast-removal operation.
    Seriously, what gives? Why are girls so keen on taking over the male population? They destroy our gaming consoles. They kill all their feminine sides. They promote "equality". (the complete absurd type of it too) And then they start claiming that they're the superior sex.
    If men won't stand up to this, there will soon be no man to express his dissatisfaction with the rapidly developing situation.

14:37 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Chill out. They're just pants.

13:59 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I support trousers, shirts are just outdated.

13:59 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a major world-wide execution of men.
    First there's less feminine girls. Then there's tomboyish girls. Then there's sexist girls. Then there's girls in trousers.
    Honestly... we don't have uniforms in our school. But, regardless, seeing a girl (out of all ~1000 students) wearing a skirt is like having a holiday. It's almost non-existent in some countries already.

15:25 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sweden do NOT approve!

13:59 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I am all for the pants change. While I don't have any daughters yet I now doubt I would ever let them out of the house without pants on after they are 4 or 5 now anyway. If it gets really hot there like it does here near Mexico the girls better hope they are the breathable slacks that are good for work which can be dry cleaned.

14:26 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I bet your daughters wouldn't want to have a wussy for a parent either

15:50 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm fine either way.

03:22 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

aaaaww I'm gonna miss the orig school girl power ...Sailor Moon.

Comment by Honoko
    06:55 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well at least they let the school girls have two option. Knowing Japanese girls they would want to look cute. but if they want pant then let them have pants. This reminded me of elementary school when I had school uniform code. I didn't want to wear skirt because I can't do a lot of activity like chasing little boys down and kicking their asses for messing with me and my friends. But many girls still like to wear skirts and only a few wear pants so I don't think it's a big deal.

06:35 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

short shorts ftw

13:09 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

After the schoolgirls wear trousers,
    maybe later we'll have the schoolboys wear skirts?

01:30 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Before getting into anime, I didn't care.

Now I strongly appreciate skirts on girls, especially semi-long and fluttery.

Trousers are fine, but boring.

22:29 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Imagine this: ALL SCHOOL GIRLS WEAR TROUSER!!!! and the only place you can find school girl with skirts is in anime...The population of anime viewers increased.

23:59 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

oh boy this shall be moment of disgrace to the zeong mobile suit, that ugly char mobile suit that wears a skirt, when we elaborate about japan's gundam culture...

13:38 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Let the 3D world do as they please with their fashions, as long as we still have 2D skirts to fap to.

Comment by Riiku
    02:03 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh wait, I have a better suggestion for uniforms:

JUST FUCKING LET THE GIRLS CHOSE THEMSELVES. What's wrong with having 2 uniforms to chose from for each person? Oh riight, the tradition.... well bite me, retards, do as you like

03:13 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think it's just the tradition. It's also probably the notion that everyone must look as identical as possible.

23:28 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Schoolgirls in Japana have been wearing skirts for as long as I can remember... Now that it's going to change, it's like totally changing the tradition. Japan wouldn't be what it would be if it turns out to be a skirt-less place

23:35 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, but every other country that is NOT Japan says otherwise, so majority wins, and skirts will hold their positions

23:46 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well even if they are forced to where skirts the girls are still gonna wear pants under their skirts in the winter.
    So it really doesn't matter.

22:47 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah, hell no! Schoolgirl skirts are love!

00:08 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

NOOO! I knew it! The end of the world is at hand!!!

Comment by Sukunai
    00:14 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is depressing. When I want girls to look like boys, I'll tell you. Don't wait for it.

And when the real girls ditch skirts, well it will only look stupid to draw them with skirts. Just glad I have a couple of decades of anime with school girls wearing skirts to survive on.

I'm old fashioned, I think their skirts should be much MUCH longer, definitely past the knee. And the girls should fear repercussion for rolling. But I still want them dressed like girls all the same.

And don't give me that crap girls can wear pants too.
    Pants is for males and lesbians that are just annoyed they aren't males.

00:21 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck that, girls should be girls, stop turning them into some weaker retarded men.

Girls should be pretty, so they should wear skirts. End.

That law will never pass.

Comment by Fonzer
    00:50 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

it's better for girls to know how to stay feminit and attract a man,even with clothes if they want.
    But i want them to consider health also as an issue.Don't want to see you crawling to the toilet if you get a kidney inflamation,becouse you had your bellies or kidneys exposed to the cold.

01:02 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, really? It's only cold during winter, so just let them wear stockings and they will be fine. Also, the cold helps against cellulite, so it will just make them even more prettier!

Comment by Fonzer
    03:10 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hahaha you already fail in bringing true order into a womens life.
    By suggesting it is ok to be cold for cellulite,you can tell her what she can wear,but the main point is to properly care for her.