The Great Anime Crash of 2010: Moe Bubble Finally Bursts

izumi-konata-sunset-baka.jpg

With the news that announced anime for spring 2010 total only 25, down from an incredible peak of 60 or more in the heady spring of 2006, many cannot help but conclude that the anime bubble has finally burst.

Having approximately 25 titles announced so far (with at most a further 5-10 unannounced titles thought possible), the spring 2010 season is dwarfed by the output of previous years in the same season, which exceeded 60 shows by some counts, and represents the most precipitous decline yet.

With the bulk of recent titles made up by the products of the so-called “moe boom,” most observers seem to consider the collapse to have been caused by a surge of nondescript or outright dubious titles flooding the market.

Recent years have also seen the worst excesses of the anime industry reach absurd proportions, with the Endless Eight fiasco a case in point.

Sentiment increasingly seems to view this not as a debilitating crash but instead as a much needed return to normalcy, with the industry now having the chance to replace an unsustainable torrent of vapid and low quality shows with the kind of quality franchises which projected the industry into its boom in the first place.

Comment by Dark Mage
    04:39 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Maybe we'll see a return to the good ol days of anime.
    Where there were GAR characters and epic story lines.

Stuff like the classic Gundam,Gatchamen,Galaxy express 1999,Cpatian Harlock,Space battle ship Yamato/Starblasers, DBZ before the Buu saga.
    Even stuff like Tenchi Muyo where even the loli characters were bad ass heck even the pet was badass in that series.

Really I'm sick of anime that takes place in a Japanese high school I'd welcome a change.

Comment by erochichi
    06:51 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You are joking, right? Sasami as a evil loli? That was good! Ryohki, too.
    Old time anime was not always good, we tend to remember only the best.
    I still love Urusei Yatsura.

06:34 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

well, as long as there are still shows that are GOOD, 20 or 60, it's all the same

Comment by Zelnick
    23:51 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If quality animu stops appearing for a while, I wouldn't mind. I haven't watched very much older stuff beyond Slayers, Dragonball, and SSE and I imagine I could last a few years on "classics".

Comment by DFC
    02:04 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Waiting for the Oppai bubble burst.
    DFC will never suffer the same fate since it's trend is linear and flat!

09:02 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

but the oppai bubble did burst, in Queen's blade.

11:03 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Butlers, Qwaser, Himari have more than enough boobs. The bubble's holding pretty well.

02:35 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And? Out of the 60, how many were good? 10? 20? Personally, 20 is being generous. It's like the recession in the US, it's going to cut the fat. The good anime will stay, the bad will die off because who the fuck wants to see another Aquarion or Natruto?

Yea... Thought so.

04:16 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What do you mean, Aquarion was hilarious

Comment by greenpoint0
    08:44 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, it's the ugly face of the recession, that took us down. The anime market is having a hard time adapting since these things take about a year in advance to plan out and execute. So, we're still in this "quasi-recession" mode, even though many developed class countries are already recovering (might I take this time to give my blessings to the Haitians... poor them). Still, life is pretty tough enough for the commoners of these lands.

I believe the next phase should go into more of the chronicling of the lives of certain persons, maybe add problems like debt or death or the dubious things of today as major plot twists...

11:02 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Dude I think it's going to be the longest recession ever man, I'm telling you "Does it really look like everything is going back to normal soon?" Because I Don't Think It's Going To Be That Easy...1 year..Haa...that's a laugh...

02:01 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The last paragraph sums up how I feel perfectly. Now their wont be quite as much crap and a show that is good might actually be watched.

Comment by ntbxp
    01:19 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If moe blob bursted, what will come next?
    More anime like "Ghost in the Shell withiout Tachikoma?"

Anime only with non-fappable characters?

Comment by Dark Mage
    04:48 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

But Motoko Kusanagi in stand alone complex is very fappable same with characters like Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo and Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop.

Comment by Dirty_Dingus008
    09:47 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That nasty POS NINE episode BullShit "ee" in Haruhi still fucking pisses me off. I read here that the first release did well, but since then I've heard no mention of any updates to the following nasty releases in Japan from Sankaku~.

Please fill me in on the further "successes" of those too ugly to mention again episodes. Did it do good business, or did it implode by the Otaku disdain?

11:00 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know, how does over 10k+ sales for each E8 volume seem to you?

01:42 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Considering the repetitious, mindless rubbish they've been making over the last couple of years, I'm not really sorry about this.

Maybe big-breasted schoolgirls who specialize in panty shots are interesting the first 5,000 times or so, but seriously, even that can get old after a while.

03:24 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

it's not just anime, the entire entertainment industry seems to be stagnant, with new media being the only perpetuator of consumerism.

Look at Avatar- Dances with Smurfs of Ferngully

The videogame has FF13- and all the other titles that don't really get the interest of easily-bored-short-attention-span nex generation of gamers

Anime has this, real stagnation. People have done just about everything with anime; created it (astro boy), constructed it (Super Robots), deconstructed it (Neon Genesis Evangelion), and kitschified it. (K-on) What else can be done?

I guess we go back to reading? I will lol when people start to whack off while reading a novel.

11:07 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

More like that we reach "THE REAL STAGNATION OF HUMAN IMAGINATION" of this planet. I mean even American Comic books does the same shit over and over and act like none of the backstories ever happened...I think we have killed it. It's amazing that Japan took Sci-Fi-like elements with Anime and Video Games so far...and Now we're like "...okay someone already done this story" or "They copied after 'Blank' Show to that 'Blank' show...

Entertainment & Storytelling is dead...unless you're a newborn or something...

03:56 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't you guys think the dip has more to do with the fact that no one wants to take risks in the current global marketplace? I'd be willing to bet that people feel safe investing in producing new anime, the number of titles will rise again.

Comment by Domo-Kun
    06:03 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How can they call this a bubble burst?
    It's a steady decline over 4 years.

No one would say "the housing bubble burst steadily over 4 years"
    The Asian debt bubble burst suddenly, in a matter of days.

The 2nd reason you can't call it that, is because there are still new successful crappy moe anime being made.
    So how can you even reason that moe is the sole culprit?
    If anything the title should be "Even fewer new anime this year evidence of economic decline"

I think Moe anime is a result of the economic climate, not the cause. So many studios producing cheaper moe shows that sell lots of moe goods.

Comment by VillainousHanacha
    06:25 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yay, let's blame moe for all our problems again.

Sure, companies are producing stuff like Strike Witches and K-ON! because they sell, but WERE IN A WORLDWIDE RECESSION!!! Companies want to keep from going under in a time such as this, so they're producing Anime which they know will sell. Moe is not the problem, it is a symptom of the problem. Just concentrating on moe as a problem is like trying to just get rid of a sore throat when you have the flu. You still have the fever and the body aches, and the virus is still there. It is possible to have a series that integrates moe with an interesting story and good characters, like Haruhi Suzumiya (Let's put Endless Eight aside for right now. That was a marketing problem primarily, but I know, It's hard for me to forget too). And must I remind you people what moe means in the first place!? While literaly meaning budding (as in a plant), it's used in the context of having an extreme, burning passion (moeru, to burn) or a fetish for something. That something could be anything. You can even consider some foodies (like me) to have a moe for a certain ingredient or dish, like Truffles, Foie Gras, Chocolate, Curry, Bacon, or a Noodle Soup of some kind. (I definetly fall into the catagory of having a Noodle Soup moe, particularly Pho and Ramen). Moe has just come to mean a very "KAWAII!!" drawing style and character manerisims. But cute to who? You, me, some hikikomori otaku or to someone just descovering Anime and Manga for the first time? However, the industry is obviously going to pander to the "moe" of the audience that sends them a lot more money, which is the rather erroneously named "type B" otaku. The ones who buy all the DVDs, character CDs, figurines, etc. Instead of the other extreme end of the scale, the "type A" otaku, who mostly exists overseas (and therefore buys the much reduced in price DVDs, if they buy them at all. Which unfortunatly is not that common). Not only that, the extreme "type A" will in all likelyhood totaly forsake a series if it doesn't meet their high standard, and the extreme "type A" is not a loyal fanbase. Constantly searching for the next Eva, they throw away any series and studio that they deem unworthy, and quickly drift to the next series and studio that shows and promise. If you owned an Animation studio, and your company was tanking due to the bad economy, who would you cater to, to save you livelyhood and your nest egg? I know who I would choose, cause it's pretty obvious to me.

Comment by erochichi
    22:13 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hunt for next Eva is totally brainless. It will never come.
    But better future anime than Eva was does not have to be similar at all. 1995 - 2010 many better anime than Eva may already exist, but they don`t see it, because they see only old Eva.
    I have seen many animes during that time better than Evangelion. But nothing is enough for freaks.

07:46 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think the "epic" storylie has deid of previous decade. Considering how bad some of those "epic" story lines were in the past it's a good thing we have a moe boom. Even a classic like macross isnt very good compared to todays anime.

03:58 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

20 shows is completely appropriate. At least it gives me a chance to catch up.

Comment by R3TAK
    00:58 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I still have loads of old anime shows to watch so really this does not bother me as long as to aru kagaku no raigun continues then im happy but i would like to see somthing new but with the depth of NGE, but until then im just gonna keep watching the old stuff, most of which is better than the new shows anyway.

Comment by EqualOpinion
    04:20 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I say it has nothing to do with "moe" or anything like that, K-ON and other anime similar to it are clearly still popular, however it has more to do with the quality of anime that's being put out. By that I mean the anime industry, and perhaps some japanese industries in general, who use the same plots over and over again and again in order to just sell titles.

For example, when is the last time you picked up a really good original Gundam title? Aren't all the stories basically the same, people whining about how war is bad but they don't know how to do anything else? Then some guy wearing an trash-can mask shows up and he's a bad guy, oh then he turns into a really bad guy. Well, that's basically every plot for Gundam, but this isn't just about the Gundam plots. It's also about the harem anime plots, alien girl plots, romance anime plots, they're all the damn same.

It would be less surprising if it had something to do with the economy instead because it's still not 100% yet, though with that said.. I can only hope, please god let Kyoto animation go bankrupt!

23:43 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

25 is actually UP from the 15 shows that were announced for winter at this point back in the fall, though. Sure, spring usually sees more shows than winter, but it's at least a sign that the dire predictions of last fall about the "end of anime" were a tad premature.

Besides which, it seems to have less to do with any "moe bubble" and more to do with the Japanese economy in general.

Also, I might point out that, fiasco or no, Endless Eight seems to have sold well enough on DVD, so perhaps it's not the best example to cite.

23:05 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I doubt the moe beast is fully slain. Keep up the fight people. We can win this. I'm not saying we can kill it fully but at least we can seal it.

10:04 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Bullshit.
    If the anime industry blows up suddenly, if we are to follow all the latest statistics, the animes that will remain will be the ones with moe, whether type A otaku like it or not.

But I really hope the general anime blob bursts.
    The one thing I appreciated from the anime industry is that it wasn't as overhyped as Hollywood.

Hollywood produce piles of crap with few hidden pearls lost in it.
    Anime, imo, was the complete opposite 'till it started becoming mainstream.

I kinda miss the days everybody I knew thought less of me only because I liked some weird japanese "cartoons", but at least we had lots of quality stuff and fewer idiots sprouting useless comments on something they knew nothing about (aka mainstream news covering anime and manga events).

Also Hollywood crappy adaptations no one asked for.

I'd be plenty satistied with 5 or 6 new titles a month if only this helped Hollywood keep their dirty hands off the anime industry.

00:20 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

more yuri/yaoi, more sci-fi, more action, more DRAMATIC ROMANCE. More pure [slapstick] comedy.

LESS shit like K-ON. (lucky star was godly, it can only get worse)

00:04 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think this might not be a bad thing. I prefer quality over quantity.

00:48 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Angel Beats! Haruhi Movie, KissxSis anime, Mayoi Neko Overrun, Ikkitousen Xtreme Xecutor, Koihime Musou 3rd, Black Rock Shooter, Da capo 3... to say only some.

This will be a Moe Spring, even if you say that Moe is cancer, it is the future.

16:35 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

more ikkitousen? FUCK YES. i only watch for Kanu Unchou and whatever the fuck their doing in the anime.

Comment by yuriphoria
    01:37 20/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sankaku Complex, anime doomsayer and moe hating help center.

12:50 20/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah ... I'm a fan of all forms of Japanese television shows and movies. Meaning I watch animated and live action Japanese media. New and old. There are tons and tons of shows and movies I've watched. And many, many, many more I have yet to watch. So a current decline in a portion of Japanese media barely phases me. It still leaves me with a ton of shows and movies I can watch.

It's only the anime fans that have anything to worry about. And even so, if you're running out of new shows and movies to watch, just watch older stuff you haven't gotten around to. Or better yet, branch out into the rest of Japanese television.

11:10 20/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I never realized so many other people were getting tired of all this moe fanservice, grotesquely giant fucking bouncy boobs, panty shots in your face, unoriginal character archetypes, rehashed perverted situations, and overused jokes. Not to mention any combination of school girls, magic girls, and parodies with a lame excuse for a plot just so they can reuse any old character archetypes and perverted situations.

Does this cover all the reasons why most anime sucks these days?

05:34 19/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nothing lasts forever.

00:43 19/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hmmm... let's see...
    let's say that most men in the world have a fetish for girls in thighhighs...
    having a beautiful girl in thighhighs is a good thing. nothing bad here...
    the real problem comes when all girls in the world try to wear thighhighs...

so i guess the rage of people here is misdirected...
    it should be "rage against imitators" instead of "rage against moe"...

01:08 19/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"hmmm... let's see...
    let's say that most men in the world have a fetish for girls in thighhighs...
    having a beautiful girl in thighhighs is a good thing. nothing bad here...
    the real problem comes when all girls in the world try to wear thighhighs..."

1) Wouldn't that be heaven?
    2) Good point, then people end up blaming the existence of thighhighs because some ugly, fat chicks try to wear them.

23:13 19/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

1) that is going to be hell, if u ask me... "global rule: 90% of anything are bad" applies here. just like moeness, thighhighs here amplifies the real deal. if a girl is fugly, then she'll be FUGLY in thighhighs!!! then continue to number 2...

2) yes, damn right. people will eventually end up blaming the existence of thighhighs because 90% of girls in thighhighs they saw are FUGLY. and the 10% beautiful girls will become the victims due to this thighhighs trend.

so yes, in the end... FUCK IMITATORS!!!

04:11 19/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Thank god this is finally over. Fuck this moe bullshit and let's return to the good old days of quality.

08:46 21/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

best konata picture ever

19:21 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think its too early to say sth like this. I mean, its just a season lol. I also hate this moe boom because all the shitheads and immatures gather and mess up the anime community's atmosphere -_-;; They just don't know how to get the best out of all the great anime out there cuz they stick to popularity and looks...Gotta evolve some sense.

Comment by Gitami
    11:44 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Can we get an article on the status of hentai? For the last two years fucked silly faces and netorare has increased. Ameno's and Ootsuka Kotora's stuff in 2006-2007. Not staples yet. Then after Chunrouzan's graduation onsen trip chapter in 2008 more NTR stuff found its way in to vrious magazines. Good for legends like Sanbun Kyouden who now have more audiences. Perhaps X-ration would consent to draw in magazines. How far have the genre come and how long before they get past the summit?

21:12 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

status of hentai: it's awwright

Comment by metatron
    11:43 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

An end of an era gives hope for a new and better one.

Comment by Meltyblood
    12:01 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I feal like the anime market in usa is diminishing i see many more fan subs and anime released in japan then stateside.
    I think with the recession has caused quality and lack of goods to demise.
    I also seen a drop of titles from Dojin games and Hentai anime. Nothing much lately i see only one or 2 good pc games in japan.
    I just think the market is over saturated in usa. and with prices so high in inflation nobody is buying. most of the time i see dvds still sitting on shelfs even used dvd dont sell as much

Comment by Meltyblood
    12:07 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What ever happened to OAVs ? now they are all just tv series with lame and low quality artwork?
    I still say the old stuff was better better music,animation,Story lines i mean come on i haven't even seen any good story lines.
    I feel like i watch computer generated lazy animation what even happened to quality drawings?

Comment by erochichi
    22:33 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You don`t have a big full-hd flat tv and HDMI DVD and BD player & hd cable from your tv don`t you. I can assure you drawings have never before been so finely crafted. Watch one episode of Sora no Woto in 1080p.

Comment by ShikakuSyndrome
    14:33 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Just the same I think we are far from the heyday of OVA's with tittles like BGC or Gunbuster. If japan anime industry really wants to use computer animation why they can at least make a decent work like PIXAR and DreamWorks do?

Comment by erochichi
    22:29 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Pixar`s & other gaijin producers character style is , very, very, very ugly.
    Never want to see that shit.

Comment by ShikakuSyndrome
    12:36 19/01/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

You are a fetichist that knows shit about cinema or storytelling. You only want characters with big tities to have them in a poster for you to fap.