Lin I-Chen

lin-i-chen-eat-001.jpg

Lin I-Chen, or “Eat,” is a Taiwanese artist and illustrator whose spectacular works combine a variety of styles and themes in a manner sure to impress, even going so far as to include some splendid illustrations of men:

lin-i-chen-eat-002.jpg
lin-i-chen-eat-038.jpg
lin-i-chen-eat-039.jpg
lin-i-chen-eat-043.jpg
lin-i-chen-eat-040.jpg
lin-i-chen-eat-041.jpg
lin-i-chen-eat-042.jpg

More of his works can be seen on the Channel, and of course on his homepage. Those looking to support him can do so from his goods page.

Comment by Chen-03
    05:59 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Looks nice, but lacks feeling.

09:27 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol wow, i see some of his new artworks, thanks for reminding me of this artist xD been 2 years since i last checked up on his site lmao.

Comment by Jimmykitty
    10:54 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice. I will make it a "favorite".

Comment by Y10NRDY
    11:10 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

holy crap this guy is amazing.

Comment by BlaqCat
    15:17 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I weep for how good a lot of this is.

15:48 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

this art makes me cum alittle just looking at it. its amazing.

Comment by metatron
    19:47 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Those are insanely beautiful artworks.

23:51 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I really don't like to say this, but.. some of these look like he put a filter over some idol faces because some of the girls look mighty familiar...

http://img2.sankakustatic.com/wp-content/gallery/cache/58702__468x_lin-i-chen-eat-003.jpg this one looks particularly familiar, but I can't put my finger quite on WHERE.

And some of the stylings don't quite match up. Forgive my doubt, but I've seen too many examples of Chinese novel style art being debunked as traced or filtered. I don't doubt the technique of the rest of the picture, but the faces do look like they've been shopped on. :/

Comment by KuroNii
    18:37 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is the kind of shit we just DREAM of drawing.

16:03 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I really like the way he draws feet...very nice. I wish he focused more on them...

Comment by Riiku
    16:21 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, the guys are so ghey

And thats why they look so fucking awesome!!!!

Comment by denn
    15:29 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Good to see something a bit more realistic than the typical moe style (not that i dislike it). Liked the mahjong-kid piece as it couldn't be more true given the love for the game there, clack clack clack.

And yes, Lin does draw guys rather well

05:38 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Fucking AWESOME. I'm really impressed.

06:43 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually took a computer art class from this guy before in Taiwan before o_o

Wow, I can't believe I'll see his work on this site!
    He does use a lot of references. Which isn't a bad thing. He actually takes some photos of himself doing some of the poses for referencing purposes :)

15:38 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It *is* a bad thing when I look at it and think "I remember this from [another artist/piece]." About half a dozen of these are distinctly too close to other artists' pieces that I immediately recognized, something I expect from artists starting out but not from artists who are established. Someone with this guy's obvious talent should work more with live models and original poses, although even if he is doing that now I guess he'll always be haunted by the imitative work that's already online. It's too bad because he's clearly a good artist. Anyway, I hope he keeps up the original work and we can see more of it. 加油!

00:50 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Artists use references all the time. This stuff looks like he's just painted over an existing picture in a paint program, or worse, just put a filter over it.

Comment by Shalala
    06:44 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Dude thats just blodddy cool.

Comment by Spitfire
    05:30 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Amazing drawings even if it's traced (but who cares it's still art), each one was even better than the previous.
    #5 & #27 being the ones I enjoyed most

05:04 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As a artist myself I say "meh" to traced stuf. :/
    Nice execution though.

07:09 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Mahjong one really tripped me out in comparison with the rest, but overall this is some high-quality work.

00:42 16/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

013 reminded me of LOTR

Comment by Yangth
    08:09 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome work! Wonder if this guy does any concept work for game companies?

07:13 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Does he have an artbook?

Comment by Aero
    07:30 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He did some very nice esthetically-rich pieces of art. Is there a higher resolution file of 038?

07:54 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

1st to last pic- from impression to depression/

08:43 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

13 - LOTR
    21 - Matrix Reloaded
    31 - Shinobi aka Basilisk live action

This is A FUCKING EPIC GALLERY!
    Everithing is awesome, and a few are absolutly brilliant O:

01:24 16/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Pretty nice art this guy has created but to lump him together with proper illustrators who actually draw everything from scratch may be an insult to them since many of his works seen here are just traced from photos of models anyone can just find on the internet or in magazines. Not trying to say that I can do better but the illustrations appear rather artificial to me, mainly because of the tracing. And not to mention, the body proportions are off too. Beautiful? Yes. Like? Sorry, but no.

09:33 09/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Uh, They are not traced. I've seen her digitally painting. And the thing that you calling as tracing is actually called as referencing. FYI, he also draws from scratch, with references, and regarding the proportions, it's the artist's choice whether they follow realistic ones or modify them a bit, which is counted as semi-realistic. But in the end, we all have our own tastes, so I can't do anything about you not liking her work.

09:03 27/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

amazing!

..where can i find men like that? *o*

19:21 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

um...i don't like the fking chinese ppl...but i like chinese food....

btw,these pics r awesome!

15:34 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

love it ! exellent drawings!! O.O

14:46 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

你们都是些瞎狗眼的主
    为什么一定要看到别的国家残垣断壁的样子然后很开心呢!?
    一点良心都没有!
    来呀,有本事和我吵架啊
    你们只会用Google翻译中文
    翻吧
    说不定还翻不出来

19:33 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hey...try to type eng ok?....chinese bitch...

13:06 09/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

自己的問題別怪罪別人. 當數千導彈指向台灣時, 就沒有什麼立場可以說自己是和平崛起, 更沒有什麼立場自稱自己是和平的在與台灣對話. 對於台灣人來說, 沒有什麼分裂不分裂的, 49年之後分家就是分家了, 國號都改了你要怎麼說? 更別提在49年之前, 台灣早被當時的'中國'送給了日本. 而在二戰之後, 還只落得個給當時的中國國民黨政府來個實質占領, 連從日本人手上要求正式歸還都沒有(總的來說, 只記得要註明要日本人歸還東北, 被賠出去的台灣連收回都給忘了), 就算退一百步來說好了, 台灣是中國的一部分, 但也從來不是中華人民共和國的一部分 - 連中華民國都搞了個名不正言不順的實質占領 - 中華人民共和國從來不曾擁有台灣, 哪來的分裂? 今天你若說的是分裂中華民族那還說得上事, 至於分裂中華人民共和國? 您言重了 - 搞了兩千多顆導彈對著別人講和平對話, 還一副彷彿台灣人對不起中華民族似的搞哀怨 - 搞甚麼鬼啊?

English Summary - Basically, the original poster is accusing everyone here of 'splitting China' (i.e. Why you guys enjoy to see other country in ruin?). My reply simplely point out, that while most Taiwanese agree they are predominately Chinese (in terms of racial mix), few (if not none) would agree they are citizen of PRC (People's Republic of China). People here either identify themselves as Chinese (of Republic of China - not to be confused with PRC, People's Republic of China), or simply Taiwanese (see Wikipedia's entry on Cairo Declaration http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_Declaration)

To Taiwanese people, PRC is just a big bully with no less than 2,600 missiles pointing directly at Taiwan while claiming holding 'peaceful talk with Taiwan' and self-proclaiming a nation of 'peaceful raising'.

Back to the main topic here, Lin I-Chen is a female illustrator here. And yes, the style is mostly referred as 'Chinese novel cover art', or more specifically, cover art for romance novels (primarily, teen to mid-30s female readership). The trend started from late 80s, and proliferate from mid-90s. The style is distinctively realistic-like face and body feature with clothing feature partially derived from ancient dressing style. And yes, some (in particular, most of her early works) are based on traced framework taken from celebrity photos and etc, though the drawing itself are genuine creation of the illustrator.

13:20 09/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

opps, correction - I confused Lin I-Chen (eat) with other female illustrator with a similar name and drawing style (and similar theme - since it's how most of illustrator here make a living - drawing cover art for novels - in his case, novels for male readership). My humble apology.

Lin I-Chen (eat) is actually a male in his twenties. According to his website, the tools he uses are Photoshop, Painter, CorelDRAW, ComicStudio and oil painting. He is also a lecturer for local CG training schools. Apart from novel cover arts, he also create poster and promotional materials for local on-line games - hence the fantasy themes.

Comment by Fapping Time
    08:07 23/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

thank you for blessing these eyes of mine....

23:45 04/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

26 looks like TOP in tell me goodbye. XD

23:03 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Can anybody steer the bloody island away from china and end this silly argument now and ever?

I saw some taiwanese called their rice and sugar as national resources,whoa you're so cute,should I put it in a way that you're preparing to load your guns with rice and sugar for your "independence"?

01:57 31/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hello, I am a Chinese woman, who wanna fuck me?

13:34 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

how did the artist sketch the art? The material? Did the artist used any software?

22:48 18/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is truly amazing!! The artist is truly talented and he will have a great career if he keep this up.
    One of the best artist galleries you have shared with us Artefact.Thank you!

22:18 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

soo many details...amazing work

00:22 22/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Honestly speaking, they scare me D;

Realism painting?!!! NOWAI

The way he paints the faces...Especially the faces...OMFG

Made me shat bricks I tell ya D8

And on a side note, most of it looks as if it was shopped pictures with really really bad clothing painting/rendering. Quality difference too damned much? If he can render skin textures to such extent...Why does the strokes on the clothes feels so amateur?

17:02 16/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

13 is Lord of the Rings Asian-ized

Comment by Setekh
    00:53 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

These are amazing, but I wish you lot would stop derailing the damn topic with political BS.

11:50 16/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Thankfully this artist if from Taiwan and not from mainland China, because then he would be a no-talent copyright thief who lived in ramshackle housing and murdered babies and was inferior in every aspect to a Japanese.

Non sarcastic: This style is known in the 'circles' as 'Chinese Novel Cover' style, and DeviantArt is absolutely filthy with it.

Also: *cough cough* over-paint *cough cough*

Comment by GodOfSpeed
    11:40 16/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome artworks! Love it lots as well! XD

01:24 16/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Now THAT'S ART!
    :-)

05:26 16/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol... this totally reminds me of SquareEnix's FFXIII render for some reason... Looks like CG redner lol..