Capcom: “Gamers Have Left The Wii”

rsident-evil-4-chibi

Capcom has expressed its disappointment with the Wii’s increasing inability to appeal to traditional gamers, blaming it for poor sales of some of its recent titles.

The admission comes by way of an interview with Capcom France’s director general Antoine Seux, who expresses his disappoint at the pathetic sales of the latest Resident Evil title, which sold only 16,000 copies in the territory.

You also released other strong franchises, like Monster Hunter and Resident Evil on the Wii, or Bionic Commando. How did they do?

[…]

With Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, all in all the numbers weren’t too bad, but we won’t lie, they were inferior to what we had hoped for.

After three weeks we have a total of 16,000 units sold. We feel like there is a clear problem with that game’s style on the Wii, where clearly gamers have moved on to something else.

Only two years ago, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles was a very big success on the Wii, but Wii customers have moved to games with a wider audience. It’s a disappointment.

[…]

We are far from the “classical” target of today’s Wii.

[…]

Two years ago, we still had gamers on the Wii, people loyal to Nintendo who – it seems – have deserted this console in favor of the new generation.

Capcom is said to be focusing its future efforts on the PS3 and Xbox 360 platforms.

Nintendo itself has repeatedly acknowledged that its game line-up has fallen apart, and it is painfully obvious to most observers that “serious” games have been the most affected, with the bulk of the console’s dwindling top sellers coming from the “casual” camp.

13:18 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This has nothing to do with nintendo or the Wii, all these developers have jumped onto the Wii for easy money. I'm sick of on the rail shooters, OVERKILL is easily the best so far.

Capcom is becoming just as pathetic as Square enix, seriously though, the Wii is graphically the weakest console this gen, but so was the PS2 and that didn't stop it from being the best selling console ever.

RE5 was just as cash in with an improved RE4 engine, there wasn't really anything new, I can't say I liked RE5, but that's just me.

Maybe it's just me but I hate hardcore gamers who whine and bitch about casual gamers, a lot more than I get annoyed at casual gamers who complain about a game being to hard.

RE4 was the best game from capcom I have ever played so far, but it's gone way downhill since then, hopefully that will change when monster hunter tri comes out.

13:33 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The amount of "hardcore" ego masturbation in these comments is astounding.

I, for one, am perfectly content with just regular masturbation.

13:02 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a wii and I left that behind for the PS3!
    The wii only has all these wight loss games and amily games.
    It's sucks!
    Now I only use it to play gamecube games.

13:46 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Enjoy your port.

14:26 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I didn't buy the second railgun RE game because Umbrella was so boring. It's the same way I'll never buy another Starfox game again after the last 3 games, which I liken to getting abused by the same rapist continually. I want RE5 on the Wii! I want so badly to kill those particular zombies with a Wii remote!

14:48 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And this is coming from the guys who have developed one of the best selling (hardcore) games in japan (monster hunter tri)

15:00 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Technically its outdated as hell and so is the 360. So its barely the future. The shitty dev tools don't help either. Consoles are using mid-range 5 year old hardware. Hardcore gamers are are becoming so rare today that people seem to have completely forgot what it meant to be a hardcore gamer. The only thing rarer is actual hardcore games with complexity and intelligence that actually challenge the players wit and skill. Nowa days games have giant fucking arrows telling you where to go, very linear environments, overly-cinematic elements that make the game more fun to watch than to actually play, and no dedicated servers for multiplayer which leaves very little headroom for clans and a massive list of restrictions to the average player. Oh and very, very dull brown graphics with no art direction.

15:46 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yea that's why the Wii has a better online service than the 360 or PS3.

They play so well with others.

And what do you define as a "life"? Different people have different hobbies. If their hobbies don't conform with yours, they're no life losers? It's ironic that you call others narcissistic because it seems like you're the narcissist here.

You're judging people based on their hobbies and consider them "inferior" and have no life compared to yourself.

14:24 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

PS3 is for the future and hardcore gamer.THE DEV are just too lazy to dev in ps3 because they are noob.They prefer xbox and wii because of their structure like pc and easy to navigate...what a pussy...gaybox is retard anyway..

14:04 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know why Capcom is blaming the wii, when their the ones who made the games. Instead of making fuckin' railshooters for wii, why don't they give us another resident evil 4 wii. They need to get their shit together, and give resident evil wii fans a a proper title.

12:39 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Am I the only one who thinks this Seux guy is full of crap? Sure you can argue that Wii is for a casual market, but quite frankly, it doesn't excuse third parties from making bad games on the first place. Darkside Chronicles sold poorly not because of the Wii, but because the game just sucks its just done so poorly it makes you wonder why they even tried to develop it.

Also he said this on the same interview:
    "For us, Capcom, the future is the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360... "This will be a difficult year for the handheld in general, DS or PSP."

LOLWUT!? The DS and PSP are some of the best systems of their respective companies. They generate alot of revenue, and arguably have much better game libraries than the consoles do.

12:22 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The only Wii games I can think of off the top of my head worth owning are No More Heroes and Mad World.

Comment by A_Moose
    12:44 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No More Heroes is coming out on PS3 and looks great.

But Wii has the fabulously-written House of the Dead Overkill and Dead Space Extraction.

10:03 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, the main cause for the 'demise' of the WII is that many of the major developers find it particularly difficult to port. So, they simply don't bother when it is so much easier to stick with the PS3 and XBox 360.

Thus, there is a shortage of really good games for the system and gamers go elsewhere.

Comment by diskonline
    10:21 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

By playing Darkside Chronicles, I only found headache, the camera was shaking all the time, how can such a game success? Wii's time's over, that's true, but the failure of Darkside Chronicles is its own problem.

10:21 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

HAHAHA!! Family friendly crapbox. Yeah I have one two, but I only have 15 games & it hasn't been touched since oct. 2009. The Wii sucks balls.

13:36 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

15 games? Is that sarcasm?

12:00 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's sad to see companies insist that there's no market for games on the Wii just because particularly crappy or niche games aren't selling like hotcakes.

Umbrella Chronicles sold well because it's Resident Evil and people wanted to try it. Now that most people realise that it's not a very good game, it's obvious that people aren't going to buy another copy and paste sequel like Dark Side Chronicles.

I don't think I've enjoyed a Capcom game in a very long time. It seems to me that the remnants that make up today's Capcom are just a bunch of nobodies hanging onto their franchises created by the truly creative developers who already left Capcom a long time ago. Perhaps Capcom should try making games in more interesting genres than just rail shooters, and avoid copying and pasting everything from their previous games.

12:01 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ah so they finally realized the wii sucks? well it's progress... =P

12:22 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the wii is not for gaming, its for girlie jump-fun
    it has the same power as the 10 year old game cube - outraging
    I see no improvement to the old mario kart or mario sunshine - of course not, how can there be any with same specs?
    its basically a game cube with a fancy controller

23:26 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually it's almost twice as powerful

23:46 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I will say one thing in defence of the Wii.

It can play Gamecube games,

How many PS2 and PS1 games can the PS3 play eh?

Sure if you want to buy a specific console set up, but then does it play all????

hmm?

10:28 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm bloody telling you...Make some loli/snuff/torture games with your favorite anime characters and I will guarantee that sales will rise...

Then again, we will never see this hit the US of A...

10:49 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Wii is made for the kind of people that won't stick with it and will always want something new. That is the reason why they are losing their customers.

The PS2 was so popular since there were games for everyone on it so even if they lost their casual gamers they still have a majority of their customers. In this generation it has been split but I think that is going to go away since the the Wii is starting to fail so all of the casual developers are going to go to the PS3 and Xbox 360 so they will now become like the PS2 was.

Comment by g0dslay3r
    11:29 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

if they stopped making rail shooters then it would sell better

15:48 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL Narcissist.

15:58 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol leons eyes look like cloud's from final fantasy7

10:48 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the wii is a piece of shit designed for idiots with too much money to spare on a piece of shit...
    even the ipod touch is more powerfull than a wii, and it also got better games...

12:18 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Constantin... *cough* from Sega recently said they're basically done with adult games on Wii after seeing how Dead Space Extraction did.

09:09 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Personally, I left the Wii because of the lack of multiplayer support. (I don't give a shit about graphics and what-not.) Which should indicate to Nintendo that it either needs GREAT single player games; which have been absent for awhile... or to simply scheme up an addictive multiplayer title. I'll admit that the recent Call of Duty games are worthy examples... but why use the Wii wen you can get a better experience with the same titles on a 360 or PS3?

I'll buy some more Wii games when Nintendo guillotines that dumbshit Reggie for doing all this crap in the first place, and of course after it improves it's line up. Finally, I'm also very curious as to why I'm still content with my DSi... just not the Wii; therefore there's obviously something wrong with the satisfaction grade.

For now, I enjoy Gears of War 2, Modern Warfare(s), and other great QUALITY games on my 360. Screw you Wii.

~Peebl0

Comment by Kurodo
    05:09 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wait, isn't Wii more a "family" console what a "gamers" console?

04:24 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh noes! People aren't buying a $50 rail-shooter! What's the world coming to?

07:52 02/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

But they still made Monster Hunter 3 a Wii only title... retarded.

Comment by Sukunai
    22:31 10/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anonymous said:
    True hardcore gamers play PC, XBox360, and PS3.

Nope gamers game on consoles, people that play games on PC at all, play nothing else and have no lives at all. They tend to be termed losers more often than not :)

I've never met a person that plays games on a PC show any real interest in anything NOT on a PC.

Comment by Bronxdragon
    20:01 09/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

....The Wii sucks anyway o.o......did it take them this long to figure that out.....the Wii is for nintendo only.....

19:24 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The interviewed guy bases his commentaries on units sold in France.
    However games are very expensive in France and nowadays it's very easy to buy them online from England where they are MUCH cheaper.
    I'm french and I buy my games online in England.

Short example: when Street Fighter 4 came out, you had to choose between either buying it in England for 35 € (50$) and waiting 4 days to get it or buying it in France 70€ (100$) and play immediately. Yes, that's half price. No surprise the number of games sold in France decrease...

05:32 09/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No shit, Capcom.

21:36 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I see it as the problem isn't Nintendo its Capcom, those RE:shooter games are ok but lack in alot of everything, they are bulky to use at times and "headshots" often don't work, i've shot a zombie in the head about 5 times before he went down, i thought that was their weakness.
    My wife is a big RE fan she has all up to #4 which she didn't like much since zombies werent in there, same goes for #5, can't they call it something else since zombies seem to be on vacation?
    call it something like:

Umbrella Strike Force
    Resident Evil

That way people will know its resident evil without having to try to sell to fans of the original.

23:34 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I was all for the Wii when it came out, even queing up at modinight to get my hands on one, I liked the vision of future gaming experiences that Nintendo promised.

Now fast forward to today...

I frikkin hate the console, all we get here in the UK are crappy multi player mini games, beach sports, golf, party games etc, not really pushing the future of gaming are we now???

so I agree "gamers" as in people who like to play something other than a mini game bonanza, those who appreciate good game play, nice story arcs, or just a good ole fashioned shoot em up, playing for more than a few hours a week, are leaving the console in droves, especially when we have 360 and PS3 now, with games aimed at more than the casual gaming experience.

So, sorry Nintendo, just like the abismal DSi, consign the Wii to the atic and get a "real" gaming platform out there............

00:01 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

yes, agreed to all,
    but also consider the cheapness and slowness of the hardware, theres nothing hard but all veryyy soft,

the damn wii wheel drives me crazy,
    MY WIFE LOVES IT THOUGH...

oh, hardware specs, in 2010 they sell a system with less than 100 mb ram, hahahahhahah,

my handphone is faster - and older btw

was - what a scam

Comment by Myballz
    02:56 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Because it seems the only thing the Wii is good for is to download old games like Duck Hunt and Star Fox and play them on the Wii.The only issue I have with Nintendo is they don't release many popular title games.

Comment by Mitsuo Kubo
    19:35 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Only game for the Wii I'm wanting is No More Heroes 2. Everything else, I couldn't care less.

16:11 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's what happens when you try to make a casual system.
    Casual games on non-casual systems make decent money.
    Casual system with crap load of casual games? not so much.

03:53 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Developers have flaws and Wii has flaws. Nintendo's first-party titles like SSBB, SMG, NSMB, Zelda TP, MPC, SPM (and WiiWare titles too like ExciteBike and Contra Rebirth), still have great quality. Some of the third-party titles like Oboro Muramasa, Deadly Creatures, Disaster Day of the Crisis, Rabbids Go Home, MadWorld (and others) have good and great quality too, but the insane amount of casual shit like Party Babyz and similiar simply outweighs. I'm don't counting multiplatform titles like Okami, and I'm don't counting GameCube titles 'cause it is not fair. In the near future there are titles like SMG2, Sin and Punishment 2 (Treasure!), Metroid Other M, new Zelda that I'm waiting, but amount of such titles is not very big. There are no F-Zero Wii, Starfox Wii, Kirby Wii (and GameCube too, there was very shady project that was developed for GameCube, then changed the platform Wii, and currently there is no news about it, maybe cancelled?). Well, with all it's pluses and minuses, I think current generation of consoles (I'm counting ps3 and x360 too) is worse than previous, more casual shit like CoDMW2, Wii Sports and similiar.

03:16 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hmm capcom. maybe thats because on rails shooter is a niche market to attack.
    most of the good games that are aimed at "serious" gamers on the wii are real niche games.
    for example
    mad world- good game except its in black and white and a hack n slash kinda game. good luck trying to sell that to the main steam.
    resident evil and dead space on rail shooters- well onrail shooters are pretty much a niche genre from the begining. (i myself dont really like on rails shooters)
    muramasa- a great game also but its another hack and slash

in my opinion the good games on the wii that didnt sell very well probably would have sold very well on the xbox 360 or ps3 either.
    i mean would you buy darkside cronicles on xbox360 if you could get resident evil 5 on the same system. and plus their are a bunch of other games for them to compete with as well.

01:24 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The only good thing about the wii now is that it keeps the elderly busy with those exercises

09:44 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

oh now they regret having me beloved MH on stupid Wii not PS3... either way... im gonna get a Wii cause a) i love MH b) party games are fun seeing as i have flatmmates c) prepubescent little girls game are fun too... consider urself lucky im gonna waste money on u nintendo, u thief>:(

15:04 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Woo, finally someone who loves monster hunter. It's hard to find people who like that game. Usually they hate it because of the steep learning curve. But the game is awesome and people need to get off their asses, get a PSP, and get MHFU. Then get a black wii and MH3 on March 30.

06:00 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You guy sure about that? The Wii broke records last month. 3 Million in a Month... I would say that gamers are still there.

06:09 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

More like soccer moms are still falling for it. How do you know? Great non-Nintendo games constantly fail while Wii fit and Wii-play continue leading the world-wide sales.

Comment by H-Ero
    06:17 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

^This!

I wouldn't call most wii owners gamers since most of the people that buy the wii only buy it for shit games like wii sports. I would have gotten rid of my wii a long time ago if it wasn't for the virtual console.

09:38 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Great non-Nintendo games constantly fail while Wii fit and Wii-play continue leading the world-wide sales."

It's quite telling that in spite of this admission, you still don't possess the logic capacity to get what the Wii is all about and why it was a great move on Nintendo's part.

13:56 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Appealing to everyone?

That's ok and all, but if low quality games are consistently being churned out in the name of appealing to everyone, then there is a problem.

Comment by El Chaos
    04:08 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"the Wii (...) was a great move on Nintendo's part."

Yeah, damn right Anon. It's called wise selling, which in this case is opposed to wise buying.

Comment by Dash
    08:53 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Just because it sells doesnt means its good (endless 8 cough)

09:44 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Endless Eight is beautiful btw

It reminds me of eps 25 and 26 of Eva in ways. Not quite as big an impact, but still good. They should keep raping their fans and I'll put it in Eva's league, keep it up Kyoani.

I was wondering how Anno would rape his fans with Weva/Rebuild since the fans he had at this point love eps 25 and 26. Behold though, he rapes his fans once again with 2.0. Beautiful, and I expect more rape with 3.0 + 4.0.

Keep taking your anime and video games seriously though, especially if you're dealing with people who aren't really trying to get praise by it's supporters. What Kyoani, Nintendo, etc. are successfully doing though is predicting the audience and making money off it while still pissing a lot of people off - 5/5.

Now then, I look forward to the upcoming Disappearance movie. Wondering how they will top Endless Eight, will be quite a feat.