Square Enix: “Final Fantasy May Be Developed In The West”

yukkuri-lightning.jpg

Square Enix President Yoichi Wada has suggested there is a chance that the blockbuster Final Fantasy series, to many the quintessential JRPG, might be developed outside Japan.

Speaking to Edge, he admitted even Final Fantasy might be developed overseas:

“There is always a possibility that Final Fantasy could be produced with the input of our Western developers [i.e. Eidos], overseen by our Japanese developers.”

With possible development being “overseen” by Japanese developers, a Gears of Final Fantasy style direction at least sounds unlikely.

He also circumspectly hinted that some of the company’s other properties might be developed outside Square:

“That is one of the possible paths, but it’s not something that we would shift completely over to.”

Doubtless the overseas performance of Final Fantasy XIII will have some bearing on these decisions.

Comment by Ichiro Ino
    23:47 06/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

As long as the style remains it does not matter, just like how anime are being produced outside of japan in reality. It might even be beneficial code wise.

But that possibility might just make things a little more interesting (in a good or bad sense)...

19:06 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I just want to see another 2D FF game. Going 3d has killed the series to me. Yay we have awesome graphics! Lets over use those and FUCK UP THE STORY! The only 2 instances of this that I don't count are 7, and 9. 10 DID count until X-2 that horrible piece of retardation came out.

Or maybe a FF tactics game more in line with the PS version. I'm not really happy with the advance ones.

00:18 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i actually thought 8 had a good story too. that is until disc 3 and then i was like "wtf? why are they in space? why did squall just jump out of a moving escape pod? how is he not being hurled into the depths of space at the speed that the escape pod was moving? its like he just casually walked out of the pod...why does this story suck so much now?! what is this?! i dont even.."

and yes, i was able to forgive the orphanage scene...

00:51 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What anime being produced outside Nihon?

Comment by TehBoringOne
    07:24 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Macross Frontier had some episodes produced in South Korea, if my memory serves me right... Many others too, but they don't give proper credit to outsourcing studios.

01:01 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Many programs make widespread use of Korean staff (for example), for a variety of reasons.

02:49 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

^Same anon. I also like your banner picture Artefact.

04:53 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Same reason as why the simpsons is animated in korea also

02:48 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, it's cheaper to do it in Korea than Japan.

23:52 06/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Co development will just bring in additional ideas which will make the game more global. Not a biased Japanese RPG or a MS RPG.

18:50 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

MS RPG... *ting ting* I see you're trying to slay monsters. Do you need help with that?

03:08 08/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

STFU Clippy!! Arrgh! See what you made me do!! *sigh Okay, finish these guys off.. I'll make some popcorn.

Comment by Ichiro Ino
    00:04 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, I'm in for co-development on the code, it would so much expand the capabilities of the game. Story-wise, I'm not so sure, but I would still like it to stick the Japanese style which gave it success even how linear it was...

11:53 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You mean the first 7. ESPECIALLY 7.

Comment by First Posting Idiot
    06:41 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope this won't lead to more multi platform screw ups.

What kind of games could result from this is an interesting thought. (Master Chief summons Bahamut)

09:58 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

how about we make them like the first 6, actually GOOD

17:54 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Forget 7, 6 was the pinnacle. End of Story.

20:45 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, they have already done that before. GRIN was working on a new Final Fantasy XII spinoff. Square-Enix took them off the job and are continuing it. They didn't pay GRIN, so they effectively caused them to shut down.

00:46 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Except that FF14 is an mmo.

Comment by Van-d-all
    21:36 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

To me It'd just mean that FF14 would be a 5h long CG with game elements including "casual player" oriented simplifications making it "accesible" for everyone with IQs of a moderately clever chimp and above. Generally, the FF is dead.

01:03 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

excuses excuses thats all it is.. trying to blame tastes are different if it sells differently here in the states.. thats just bull.

Comment by Ichiro Ino
    03:54 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm not trying to make excuses though or blame different tastes, it never even occurred to me about that it was about it, I was mainly pointing out that the original feel of the game would be much preferable in my opinion.

Comment by CoreFlood
    01:41 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree with Ichiro, I myself haven't played any of the more popular final fantasy games and such albeit has piqued my interest on a number of occasions.

I understand what the Final Fantasy franchise is to a lot of people and feel that it might very well be beneficial to bring in other developers in the development of future Final Fantasy games.

I am rather curious at the thought of how the story would progress if and when this happens. As far as I can tell from Final Fantasy XIII, the graphics and such are enough to make anyone drool (save for a few bugs) but the story was extremely linear. Bring in BioWare or something to help broaden the story since they're game plots have always been fairly rich. After all those comments about JRPGs I can't help but wonder if they'd jump on the wagon at a chance at one of the most successful game franchises to date.
    Sorry if I sound like I'm babbling, I haven't slept in 56 hours and looking through this I can't really tell if what I'm saying makes any sense (;´ρ`) グッタリ

12:42 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Go to sleep.

Comment by OTIKA
    01:24 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Good or bad, at this point it doesn't seem to matter. With the way things are going having something NEW being input seems to be a nice change of pace.

11:34 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He fucks her, one such action would make FF more commonplace as none will ever have been, simply watch the already mess of the west for the U.S. and EU version with horrible BO, Square Enix disappoint me a lot of thought has such an idea.

11:03 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope they remember what happen to silent hill?

12:03 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is actually an extremely good game (if you ignore that it's nothing like the original).

14:15 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

(if you ignore that it's nothing like the original)

What???

11:35 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm all for this idea, but I sure as hell hope they leave all the art design to the Japanese staff. I'd also prefer it if they kept similar aspects of gameplay. After all, if I wanted to play western RPG's, I'd go pick up Dragon Age, Mass Effect, or games akin to World of Warcraft offline.

There's a reason they're considered separate genres. It's because the gameplay is fundamentally different from western RPG's.

14:27 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't get what this guy saying?, the team that made FF12 & 13 is still new.Give them SOME TIMES!Upgrade the battle system of FF12 so that u can change the characters when battle?Add more summons & limitbreaks.Improve storyline.That's it.

14:27 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

protip: ff died the second sakamoustachesensei left the building.

13:49 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Gears of Final Fantasy" would just look like Advent Children. Grey post-apocalyptic-fantasy-esque backdrops but with some doll-faces and silly hair thrown in.

10:53 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yea just what we need a damn FF FPS, pack up we are out of here.

13:04 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

bring back the original fun turn based battle system and the draw and junction that made final fantasy 8 great!
    Also a better story too!

Comment by Hyra911
    10:41 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is a reply for knuclear200x's comment above, don't know why it had been put down here..

08:14 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Western input doesn't exactly mean produced by now, does it? In any way I can see it, input simply means suggestions, another viewpoint of it for them consider.

In any case, I think a western made FF would hardly be a FF at all, simply due to western game philosophy vs eastern.

12:16 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"here is always a possibility that Final Fantasy could be produced with the input of our Western developers [i.e. Eidos], overseen by our Japanese developers"

Quote From Above.. Produced With Input..

08:24 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Western produced I mean, a bit tired >_<

07:28 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So.....most hideous caveman protagonist like in Nier Gestalt?

FUCK NO!

Comment by susume
    08:33 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

meh i could care less where they do development. I would like to see some new Legacy of Kain games possibly developed. Can only dream though

09:31 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe getting some fresh blood in Final Fantasy will help it out a lot, the game has become far too stale.. hopefully they'll remake FF13..

Speaking of FF13, what's Lightening saying in that picture anyway??

Comment by Hyra911
    10:37 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They let us customize our own lead character, problem sold.

10:34 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As long as they kept the sexual innuendo and raunchy outfits intact, I do not mind...

On that matter, please bloody fucking release Nier: Replicant for the USA!!!

I need my demon-possessed tsundere futanari...

Comment by knuclear200x
    09:48 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes! Maybe we'll get some more respectable kick ass male leads this time, not the effeminate stoic-faced kind.

10:29 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Or some kickass female leads, not some effeminate stoic-faced kind!

11:40 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There are no female leads in the US, lol.

12:51 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I'm not sure about that, but there should be!

10:49 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

oh shit!! will we see serah with a big-ass gun or a marcus fenix RPG??

16:40 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

OMG I SENSE FPS VERSION OF FF

16:49 09/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why do you only post shitty Sheryl pics.

Aren't official art enough for you?

Replace them right now! :D

16:50 09/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

P/S : This is worthy of fapping.