Hideo Kojima: “After Seeing MW2, I’ll Return to the PS3”

peace-walker-big-boss.jpg

Hideo Kojima, creator of the Metal Gear Solid series of stealth interspersed cutscenes, has stated that such is his admiration for Modern Warfare 2, he feels motivated to make a return to the PS3 for his subsequent games.

He commented to the official PlayStation rag that:

“After seeing Modern Warfare 2, I feel like I want to use all the modern specs!”

Doubtless he is champing at the bit to make even more extravagant cutscenes.

Regarding his then unexpected decision to release Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker on the PSP, he has given a variety of rationales to various sources:

“I wanted some young people to play MGS too. In Japan especially, the most popular hardware with this audience was the PSP.”

“With portable gaming you can play anywhere, and get right into the game at any time, play against your friends or with them in coop. In trains, cars and cafes, you can enjoy it on the move.

Also, with music, video, phones and photos all available in portable format, surely it’s inconvenient not to have it as a portable.”

“Nowadays you can play games anywhere; I wanted to realise a Metal Gear game which was portable too.”

“With the PS3 there are a lot of parents who won’t let their children have one, so there are lots of middle and high-schoolers who can’t play at home. Even with a game like this which is anti-war and anti-nuclear, kids will just be told ‘It’s a game with guns where you shoot people, isn’t it?’ and that will be the end of it.

I wanted to take into account players in this kind of environment by choosing the PSP.”

Presumably he told publishing executives something rather more convincing than that he was aiming to slip an anti-war military shooter past parental censors with a portable release; a shorter development cycle and lower costs for a portable title, with consequently lower risk, must have had nothing to do with it?

14:47 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No where in this article do i see him state that "after seeing MW2 I want to return to the PS3" Barely even mentions it

14:38 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I love how fanboys take what kojima said out of context. MW2 had nothing to do with the PS3, and by modern he obviously means the game setting itself. What this means is he's going to make a game set in modern times, with current guns like MW2. So far his games have been before (MGS3) and after current times (MGS1,2,4). We can expect realistic guns and no ninja bullshit in the next title.

22:06 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

bad luck for you then, Raiden is the main in the next console MG...

06:02 10/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

obviously it meant the gamer after rising. Kojima isnt going to go back and change rising just because of what he played a week ago.

18:20 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nah ps3 ftw,gaybox always failed to the bottow.

19:02 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Much like your spelling.

Comment by motaku96
    09:42 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There were metal gear games for the gameboy.

Comment by Stiyl-Magnus19
    09:49 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

kojima bIg boss!!!

09:12 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There's no shame in "taking inspiration" (or copying) from the better selling game. MGS4 took, what, over a year to hit 5 million copies sold. MW2 already sold over 6 million copies in its first month.

You Kojima fanboys can diss MW2 all you like, but the man has shown he would copy the "crappier" game if it means more copies sold.

Feel free to cry about how MW2 has Xbox install base and how it isn't fair, wah wah. Well, that's what he gets for dissing the Xbox. Heh.

12:24 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Majority of games reach about a million or two within a year; this was considered ok before people really realized that Guitar Hero and COD was breaking money records.

19:08 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Majority of games reach about a million or two within a year; this was considered ok before people really realized that GTA was breaking money records.

Fixed.

23:35 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Fanboy spotted!

CoD is crap anyways, the fact that it sells that much is unsurprising; because that's how the mainstream works. Just like music.
    Shit like Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber etc. sell very well while the GOOD stuff don't.

Comment by shirobanchou
    08:15 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

kojima is the man!!

09:52 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't play video games. I win.

Comment by MechaTama31
    10:38 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Risk? It's Metal Gear Fucking Solid. It will sell like hotcakes.

Comment by 21149315
    10:00 12/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hmm? Since when can you "play" MGS?
    I thought you just watch it and then praise it on how original it is.

19:06 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

kojima :

after seen how gamers become stupid and noobs for buying a so bad game just bcz its have ads and fake rat , ill retourn to ps3 and a make a built to go game for you gamers , yeah it will be easy shourt and ill pay big money for magazines and fake stories , so then ill sell lot of my game , guys as ive said before , IW killed the gaming world by what they did in MW2 now all devs want the same thing and we will have alotof crap games , tnx to u noobs

Comment by gpturismo
    11:20 07/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, considering one his major complaints was the fact 50GB of space wasn't enough on the Blu-Ray and they had to cut content out because of this, I am not sure I want to see a 6+DVD 360 game of cut scenes.... Not to mention I would be irritated loading a game of this size on my PC even though I have plenty of space.

Comment by Sandalphon
    15:12 14/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't blame Kojima, MW2 is pretty good. I actually enjoyed the game quite a lot, it has a lot of "oh shit!" moments that MGS4 lacked [for my tastes] and no "I'm fucking invincible" hero. MGS4, however, had a more complete gameplay. I often felt limited in the amount of things I could do in MW2.

That said, the short campaign in MW2 was a let down. The biggest fault in MGS4 [in my book] are its cutscenes. While gameplay tried to be as realistic as possible, the cutscenes were as "over the top" as possible, the result was quite meh. Also, 45 minutes cutscenes every 30 minutes of gameplay sucks.

23:38 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Its been like that since forever for MGS, deal with it ^.^
    MW2 was too short though, and gameplay-wise it wasn't really much.

15:11 06/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Kojima is an idiot.

Comment by カンチ
    21:00 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Kojima...You better give me my motherfucking Zone of the Enders 3 or I'LL CREMATE YOU ALIVE....(hope it works like it did for MGS4)

Comment by Hellmen
    00:29 06/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, seconded and thirded. There better be ZOE3, and hopefully, it'll be longer with more epic battles.

11:23 06/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hideo Kojima is, should i say, eccentric person.

He loves to play mainstream Western games, such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Left 4 Dead, and Modern Warfare 2.

But his own creation is kinda... weird.

23:36 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Which is precisely why it is awesome :)

Comment by Zelnick
    10:46 06/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So 2006 is still modern to game developers. lol, consoles.

02:32 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

damn and I was hoping for a zoe3

02:13 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I feel like Kojima was like seeing everyone doing something, then he does it too... Damn I forgot what was the phrase called..

02:09 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Kojima still wants to stay with MGS.

01:41 06/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Kojima doesn't have to make Metal Gear anymore...

Kojima doesn't have to make Metal Gear anymore...

Kojima doesn't have to make Metal Gear anymore...

Kojima doesn't have to make Metal Gear anymore...

Kojima doesn't have to make Metal Gear anymore...

Kojima doesn't have to make Metal Gear anymore...

Kojima doesn't have to make Metal Gear anymore...

GODDAMMIT GO AND MAKE ZONE OF THE ENDERS!!!

03:05 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i like how people say "yeah 360 was better though" but arent all mutli platform games (bar ff13 which was declared after the original project first started so the 360 gets the handy downs of 3 disks minus 14gb of data and 20-40%reduction in sound and vid my point is at least sqaure optimis for ps3 first then screw over the port) designed to optimise to the 360 as its there comfort zone or in terms of VALVE there lazy zone

18:50 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If that's your argument then P.C. reigns supreme.

Speaking of which Square Enix hasn't made a good FF since 10, and them making a shitty port at the last minute after making a good one is inexcusable. I hope that shit doesn't sell and they get forced into making a good game like they used to make when they were still Squaresoft. Now they're nothing but a bunch of greedy, lazy faggots.

As for Valve, those fuckers are so lazy they won't even let go of that outdated Source engine.

Comment by Ichiro Ino
    02:52 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why am I feeling De Ja Vu after reading the title and seeing the picure?

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    01:17 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hideo-san will be singing a different tune once they start to charge the Playstation Network usage...

13:06 06/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You're stupid, educate yourself before you make random comments. People will have the option to pay for things such as monthly download packages in a PSN plan, others can still play free.

01:29 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

MW2's popularity is built on its online play, most its fan don't seem to give a shit that the single player game is 5 hours of complete garbage with a shitty story and a villian you don't even get to kill

Comment by Dreck
    02:00 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Most fans do care, they're just thankful the online is good enough to make up for it, since that is indeed the center of it all anyways...

23:40 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

The multiplayer was full of fucking bullshit!

06:25 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Most fans should of read the reviews before purchasing MW2 for the single player as almost every article noted that you shouldn't buy it due it not being worth it...at all. You bought the game for the online. That's why people bought it. The single player was a bonus at best.

07:43 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Should have != Should of

04:37 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

wow. spoiler dude.

01:17 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Kojima is just a lying weasel. He keeps saying how the last Metal Gear Solid is gonna be his last finale, but always come back to make a new one. The moron fans always lap it up and ask for more.

01:32 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Moron fans to what, exactly? An interesting, if a little (all too literally) cinematic, game experience? If he makes another game, he makes another game - so long as it isn't a bad game, I don't think any of those supposed morons will be particularly dissatisfied at his 'lying'.

All in all, I suppose I'll call troll, and just stroll on.

Bridges and trolls have two things in common, after all. Then should be run through, and burned once crossed.

Fufufu.

-AnonY being anonymous, because I'm too lazy to log in. X3

Comment by Kyon Theorist
    03:10 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I like story to my game. I don't like game in my movies, and make no mistake that MGS4 was an unnecessarily long movie with gameplay put in. I loved MGS 1-3, but 4 sucked.

04:36 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

-_- all of them have a very long movie within them. how was 4 different. you're waay too picky. mgs from 1-3 had long stories that left you with many questions. mgs 4 was long enough to tie it all up. also there a way to skip-_-.

Comment by First Posting Idiot
    01:50 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

MGS4 was vastly cinematic, but the online play made up for it.
    As for his new games, I'm not too excited about 2 prequels. MGS5 will probably start off with Raiden getting into bar fights and leaving Rosemary. And Peace Walker.....I'm getting tired of big boss. Seriously, fight him in 2 games, play him in another, now play him again slightly after MGS3.

Comment by DeathCrunch
    01:57 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You run over bridges, not through them, oh well.
    If you're going to copy someone smarter and then samefag to praise yourself, at least get the quote right.

05:30 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol? Serious much...

01:38 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i love you =D

04:31 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

so what if he does. its called marketing. when there is money involved, you gotta make a sequel. i hope he havent forgotten about zone of enders 3

17:45 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, I think he forgot all the ZOE fans, though I hope he didn't. He did 'sort of' make a promise to do ZOE3 after he was done with MGS. =(

14:17 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't wait for that to happen.