Demon’s Souls “Best RPG of 2009”

demon-star

Demon’s Souls, notorious both for its quality and difficulty, has been awarded a slew of “best game” awards from the international games media, stealing the limelight from such titles as Dragon Age…

The game tied up “best RPG” and even “best PS3 game” awards from a number of sites:

GameSpot’s Best Games of 2009: Best Role-Playing Game

gamespot-best-rpg-2009

GameSpot’s Best Games of 2009: Best PlayStation 3 Game

gamespot-best-ps3-2009

IGN: PS3 Best Role-Playing Game 2009 – Demon’s Souls

ign-best-rpg

GameTrailers: Game Of The Year Awards 2009 Video Game, Best Role-Playing Game

gt-best-rpg

Famitsu’s worthless review gave the game 72.5%, perhaps indicating the publisher wasn’t generous enough in its advertising expenditure. Everyone else seemed to disagree:

demons-souls-scorecard

Curious that one of Japan’s stagnant RPGs managed to beat out a truly groundbreaking game like Dragon Age

13:30 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol so much butthurt in this article it's priceless.

12:56 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Demon's Souls beating Dragon Age: Origins for best RPG: Just fine.

Beating Uncharted 2 for best PS3 game: Unforgivable.

20:52 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Uncharted 2's a good game, but Demon's Souls is the kind of masterwork that doesn't come along very often.

Comment by ashiguru
    13:48 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I said earlier that I like Demon's Soul. However, I did not like it as much as the critics and some others here. I rate it 8-8.5. Best RPG, I do not think so. Demon's Soul's is what I would call an Action game rather an rpg. I know one could call it an Action RPG but I can't agree with that. The game is lauded for its difficulty, which I agree is difficult by contemporary standards. However, in reality as long as your careful it is not that difficult. Most of my deaths in the game were due to intentional suicides for black world tendency. In fact the only section I would describe as difficult is the poison swamp, due to the inability to roll or step back and the constant life drain. Most of the boss battles were easy. If you come into the game knowing what you're playing its a cakewalk. It seems to pray on modern action gamers, who think charging in is the best solution. It features is a great amount weapons and the various weapon classes are unique which is good. I thought the combat system with its emphasis on positioning, strategy, and tactics was excellent. I do have to fault the lack of a straight pause feature, it should just be disabled for online play. Although many will disagree I never saw any replay value in the game. Maxing out weapons and level hold no interest. I admit I only went as far as completing new game+. The story is non existent. I wish they gave the merchants more lines. Having to hear same lines over and over is obnoxious. None of the npcs have any personality. The motto of the game is "me go kill now". The multiplayer aspect is okay. It is largely dependent on who you're playing with or against. Do I recommend the game yes. It's good for a single shot or two. Beyond that I recommend picking up something else. Do I think its the best game of this year no, it is one of the better ones.

15:01 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I concur. Great action game, but there's not much beyond stats that could classify it as an RPG.

06:32 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Other than the fact that it's actually a role playing game, right? I mean, you create your avatar and get thrown into the setting, and are then given the complete freedom to do whatever the hell you want however the hell you want to, including the mass murdering of any and all friendly NPCs and MORE...

DS is more of an RPG than the majority of RPGs out there. ;p

07:32 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What roles can you play other than demon slayer? You can make cosmetic and mechanical differences, but your actions have absolutely no bearing on any semblance of a story.

This all gets into Diablo territory eventually where people have been arguing whether it's a hack and slash or a roleplaying game for years.

18:36 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

WRPG neckbeards coming out in FULL FORCE like always.

Comment by fxc2
    15:35 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So even Artefact reads good ole' IGN. Dunno how I missed this one. Just ordering a copy for myself so thanks. ;)

14:49 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

After watching my bro play this, and playing a bit myself, I'm not surprised. It's an awesome game, as is Dragon age.

13:43 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Played the game, didn't really like it and people at the convention center didn't seem that psyched about it either :\

10:26 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't forget -- GameSpot just announced its GAME OF THE YEAR, which was Demon's Souls!

10:31 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Forgot to give the link:

10:47 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why would Demon's Souls be notorious for its quality? It's generally thought to be a high-quality game.

11:42 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Really happy that Demon's Souls is doing well. One of those games that rides on smart people loving it and not mass media halo/oblivion morons.

08:29 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ha! Serves you right, Dragon Age. I seriously don't understand what people see in it. It sucks from top to bottom (well, maybe except dialogues with party members). But I'm surprised that western portals have chosen DS over DA.

11:43 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey Dragon Age is a GOOD GAME.Did anyone actually play it until its finished?If not why dont you play the damn game until its finished THAN you can comeback and critizised Bioware.And say in this forum what did Dragon Age lacks ?

Comment by alyxva1
    14:00 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Demon Soul was only for the PS3. Dragon Age was for the PC, PS3, and the 360.

17:52 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol not Final Fantasy enough for you?

Comment by Bronxdragon
    13:10 29/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

....Demon souls was good?

Comment by Striker25
    10:29 14/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Demon's Souls is a masterpiece

09:35 28/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Dragon Age wins, we already know games sites are questionable after certain incidents.

17:57 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol I Wanna Be The Knight is more appropriate title.

19:30 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Really now? How many fucking Medieval based RPG are there, seriously. Fucking ARPG and their medieval shit. Elves, dragon, ogre...same bull shit everytime.

09:24 28/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Demons Souls was base on western rpg's thats why it did so well compare to a regular jrpg

07:18 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Makes me wonder how many people here actually beat Demon Soul

17:54 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm currently on my third playthrough using the Knight class. It's almost nightmare mode now as some enemies can 1 shot me. Shit is insane

19:27 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>Famitsu’s worthless review gave the game 72.5%, perhaps indicating the publisher wasn’t generous enough in its advertising expenditure.

How can Famitsu give the game 72.5% if their perfect score is 40/40?

02:21 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

29/40, do the math...

Comment by Jarmel
    06:28 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That is a true asshole move and to be commended.

Comment by alyxva1
    07:01 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Reviews are good for judging games but you should also account for sales figures too. I know it might be too early to see a good representation of figures but you should not forget about sales.

07:25 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sales are a measure of quantity, not quality. Look at how many people went to see Twilight.

Comment by alyxva1
    13:57 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

High sales means that something is done right. At the end of the day the companies does not really care about reviews and awards they care about money. Reviews are just a way to market the game.

But your right the quantity and quality argument.

Comment by Riiku
    04:28 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This game sucks, and Dragon Age also sucks. Just completed it (Dragon Age), played for fricking 54 hours, and what did I got in the end? The ending sucked! (I have seen one, and have no desire to see another or play this game for another minute). The battles sucked, characters sucked (save for Morrigan, thou she sucked too, quite literally). The story had potential but in the end sucked too.

Sorry, got carried away. I wont play another w-rpg ever. they suck.

10:20 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Demon's Souls is a game for real gamer.pussy gamer shouldn't try this game since they will give up in 10 mins.This game is for real hardcore ppl who own a ps3.

05:21 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Seems Demon's Souls won Game of the Year on Gamespot.

05:22 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

a worthy choice. i thought uncharted 2 was gonna win though.

Comment by Sithreis
    05:15 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Coming from PC gaming (HD 1080p 'pretty stuff') I also have two consoles a Wii and a PS3. I had a 360 but took it back immediately after playing Halo 3 and getting the biggest disappointment in my gaming life (played Halo nearly 100 times on the original xbox console and Halo 3 was sad, in terms of graphics AND story). I had taken back the PS3 BC that I got instead of that 360, as the games looked terrible on a 1080p monitor, because in all honesty consoles standard size is 720p(in some cases less *shakes head*), and most games I played did NOT upscale well, plus Shadows of the Colossus looked terrible on the PS3 as well, and would've been better just getting a PS2 solely for it.

Now with that backstory out of the way, I got a PS3 slim recently after hearing that The Last Guardian was part of the ICO/SOTC franchise, but also for Demon's Souls.

This game turned out to be the best 60$ I have ever spent on a game, and thats really saying something considering I usually torrent THEN buy.

The Soundtrack is amazing, each boss gets its own theme, and it paints a vivid picture. The gameplay is extremely challenging, immersive, and unique. The graphics upscale EXTREMELY well for anyone out there coming from the Crysis side of the woods, after a while you don't even notice the lack of AA.

In all, even people who do no enjoy this sort of game cannot deny, that in fact, in hard fact, the amount of detail in this game excels in ALL aspects, and should be the equal attention every game's aspects deserve.

I was thrilled with Fallout 3 as the best game I played it's release year. And for once I feel that my PS3 will get much use, if only for Demon's Souls.

05:16 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Demon's Souls gets too easy once you pass the first world and learn to abuse the shield and spear.

...until you hit NG+.

05:37 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I will never trust famitsu's score ever again.

05:37 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Demon's Souls is to gaming like a mouth is to a gay man, you know it sucks a ton of dick.

12:12 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i don't get it...

20:44 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But to a gay man, wouldn't a dick-sucking mouth be the best thing ever?

05:34 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

great game, finished it last night. Dragon age was good but demon's soul was more unique and innovative and probably more fun. But both are addictive.

05:34 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

HELL YEAH !!
    Best game of 2009 - gamespot
    Holy shit I thought something mainstream like uncharted 2 was going to win.. that's awesome..

10:43 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Exactly, it was a total surprise, but a refreshing one!

..Of course, MW2 fanboys aren't happy.

04:29 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Famitsu scored it low? No surprise, japs have bad taste in gaming.

10:51 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Famitsu isn't receiving any money from Atlus, I guess.

13:20 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The game was made by From Software, Atlus just published it in the west.

11:20 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And your taste in games are better?

Comment by arie~
    04:33 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hate demon souls... Yet I can't stop playing ><...
    It's too addicting X3

05:39 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah i know what you mean, i mean you can't just let the bosses stomp on you. gotta pay back some.

Comment by arie~
    08:07 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yep...that flamelurker has to be the boss i hate the most...

i just wish that there was an option to do 1vs1 battles and not run into 1vs2 or 1vs3...

i cant tell you the number of times i invaded and got killed by 2 blue souls...

then again...i do like surprises...

Comment by arie~
    02:05 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

so what your telling me to be is to spam a single weapon/spell like everyone else?
    ...no thanks i rather kill with skill than use a one hit kill skill...that takes away all the fun....

but you are right......im not evil enough to take on 3 people at the same time ^^U... thats why i assasinate the summoner...:3

02:50 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Then don't spam a single weapon/spell? I've seen many ridiculously good Black Phantoms that actually don't spam spear attacks and spells. I've even seen Black Phantoms that are just grievers, equipping scrapping spear and Acid cloud just to screw with you so that you spend all your soul points to repair your gear. I hope you do realize killing Blue Phantoms when you invade gives you all their soul points or at least a ton of it.

18:49 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

precisely, there are some really...evil Black phantoms, you're just not evil enough.

08:21 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't be a noob, you're invading someone's game and you can lure the game's enemies to kill him. Besides if you can't take on 3 guys when you're invading don't do in the first place.

05:42 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You know you're contradicting yourself there, right? >_>

07:30 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

How's that a contradiction? Go back to school.