Fans Disgusted by Final Fantasy XIII

lightning-gununu

Criticism of Final Fantasy XIII by fans of both Final Fantasy and the RPG genre has reached a crescendo, with critical voices now far outweighing positive appraisals, especially if typically worshipful mass media reviews are discounted:

ff13-reviewed

An “E” ranking is one of the less flattering ones:

“Honestly, it’s the worst Final Fantasy game ever! Everything about the game is ‘lightweight.'”

“This is no game, it’s a CG movie player with an RPG minigame! The story and maps are unbelievably linear, there’s a little divergence in how you level the characters. I just don’t want to recognise this as an RPG. It doesn’t even feel like you’re playing a game, just that you’re being shown one CG movie after another.”

“The characters aren’t very appealing, and the cutesy antics of the female characters got on my nerves. For fans of Final Fantasy, this is really something that is no longer Final Fantasy any longer.”

“The production values are high, but like FF12 there are pluses and minuses. At the very least I don’t think this game can be recommended to everyone.”

“Final Fantasy fans will be looking forward to a good story, but personally I found nothing interesting about the story at all, though this must vary from person to person.”

“The game just repeats movies and dungeons over and over, there’s no variation at all. There are quests in the second half, but getting that far takes far too long. If you don’t enjoy the story getting that far is troubling.

Honestly, this was a big disappointment. I can’t recommend it to people who like RPGs.”

User contributed reviews everywhere are dominated by such sentiments.

A minority of very vocal critics, or a deeply flawed title getting its just deserts?

Whatever the situation with online reviews, few who have actually played the game could deny the veracity of some of these complaints…

13:05 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The last "Final fantasy" without a doubt xD

03:25 25/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yet there are FF13VS and FF14 coming out? o.o

13:47 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I miss the good old days of actual turned based battles. I began with final fantasy 7 and loved it! I been playing any final fantasy I could get my hands on. Final fantasy 8 kept the turned based battle but replaced the materia system with spell draws and the junction system. The story was great especially since I like science fiction, The idea of time compression as the villain's ultimate goal was quite innovative. Also playing in the past as Laguna and friends also helps connect everything. Final fantasy 9 a homage to the older games, the story wasn't as great, and as for villains, Kuja was terrible. Again they kept the turned based system and added a fourth character slot which allowed for some harder fights. I forgot to mention limit breaks and trance, those kind of disappeared in a way. Final fantasy 10 was ok, the voice acting was new but turned based battle was dying a bit and the grid board for leveling was kind of stupid. I didn't even bother with ff12, I was able to play the demo at a convention before it was released and didn't like it because it was trying to imitate MMOrpgs. I felt as if had really lost the spirit of its predecessors. I then backtracked with ff 1&2 for the psp and 4&5 for SNES via emulator. I was back to the good ole turn based systems. As another persom mentioned Lost Odyssey was GREAT! It retained the turned based system of older games while introducing the movie style gameplay of games like MGS. I can't also forget to mention that it retained those high quality graphics seen in the CG in the actual gameplay, now that is amazing.
    I can't give my review of ff13, seeing as that I don't have the game yet but it seems as if SE was trying to do the same as Lost Odyssey in terms of the graphics however they kind of failed to retain that old school Final Fantasy greatness that was the battle system. Besides the linear maps, I think that is what truly would bother me about this game. It great to try new things but to throw out a good formula and experiment is alienating the older fans in favor of trying to reach a new market. With this strategy they may lose more fans than gain, and that is not a good business model. Just my two cents..

13:01 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Only played for about 5 hours or so, but I have to say I like how the story is going so far.

There was someone commenting about how you needed to know the backdrop to really understand it, but from the menu screen you can access something like a diary and encylopedia that updates itself as you play on. Not really required to know whats happening, but its an interesting read.

It's a bit weird that you don't get exp from killing stuff (and it's not like you can avoid battles all the time), but the battle system itself is fun enough.

The fact that once the leader dies in battle you game over'ed sounded pretty bad, but as I played on, I realise it really adds to the tension in battles especially in boss fights. Besides, there's an option to pause and restart a particular battle anytime if you need to.

12:59 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like Square Enix is going to be coming out with an FF13-2 now! Or probably some kind of verison where it's like a "director's cut" where they remake the whole thing properly.. I can see that happening if the fans get too pissed off. Which they seem to be.

13:49 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The same thing that happened to MGS4 is happening to this game. It seems like in Japan when a game gets to blockbuster status then the developers lose their minds and try to make a game that's way, way too epic for them. No one can tell them what to do because they're working on a AAA project, and what you get in the end is an overbudgeted vanity project that fails to deliver. They need more people in game companies that can pull these primadonna developers aside and tell them "Fuck you, this game isn't fun, do these parts again and fucking get it out the door!"

I guarantee PS3 Gran Turismo will suffer the same fate.

14:57 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i swore FF went downhill AFTER THEY CREATE THOSE CRAPPY MOVIE AND FIRING THE ORIGINAL CREATOR!!

15:03 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If Final Fantasy XIII was a CG Movie, it will be a lot better than Advent Children

...but Square-Enix is more hard-headed than Damascus Steel. Too bad.

14:48 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

More reasons to stop the FF series.

15:12 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, the game's rank gone up to "D".
    Also, review from 49 or so people isn't enough to make this game suck.

OPINIONS. ALL OF THEM.

Now go play the damn game and see for yourself.

15:54 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, and end up like those morons who buy games on launch day on the basis of "It's Final Fantasy! It must be good!", without first checking around if it's any good.

02:11 25/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's not moronic. What's moronic is not to try out something until you find out what it really is. This is why a lot of 'gamers' dismiss 'good games' because they listen to what a handful of faggots blabber in the internet. What is USD 60 if you personally played it, told everyone it was shit and sell the game online? That's not much of a problem is it?

Comment by Unlimitedbladeworks
    15:24 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well this pretty much settles it. I'm not gonna buy this game when it's released in the States. If japanese gamers are saying it's too linear then it must be REALLY fricking linear. Maybe I've ben spoiled by games like Mass Effect and Fable II but I've gotten used to having more say about what happens in my game. It is supposed to be the player's adventure after all.

15:47 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There's a trope for this at tvtropes.. it's called Unpleasable Fanbase.

dayum...

that.. or fans probably called Ruined *sorry for caps* FOREVER!!!

honestly, people have been calling the latter ff titles as games being ruined forever... all started since the transition from SNES to Playstation 1 I swear...

or more like.. since... sequels of the franchise came out...

14:35 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What happened to all the people defending it saying it was a success because of how many games it sold?

Dumbasses.

14:07 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sakaguchi was at least involved in I to X. Then he and uematsu (along with Toriyama) left and created Mistwalker. So believe it or not, the man came up with some very neat ideas and the same goes with the older staff that was ALSO involved with CT for example.

Even if the plot is good, the gameplay wasn't decent enough. Take XII for example. Most if it was on the based "lore" from Tactics

As for MGS, Kojima even stated that the game(s) were meant to be like a movie played through the players PoV, seen through Snakes/Raidens "eyes" of course. That's the whole point of this theatrical feeling found in 2 and 3/4

III-X were perhaps linear (Sorry I never finished I-II or bothered playing them) VI and IX added perhaps even more depth with so many character involved. But even so all these games added mode to explore to do whatever you wanted a la world map. X was perhaps a bit different since you only got that option at the...

*SPOILER* At the end of the game were you choose to defeat Sin's "first" form and you either proceeded further in or you could basically do whatever you wanted and go explore the world and the "missing" pieces of the game. *SPOILER*

So in the end these game provided you with the option to go and so something else other than having to progress with the story. I thought this was the case with X up till Calm lands and up till Zanarkand in X-2. I spent about 20-30min with XII before I thought it was way below the normal expectations of the series so far. The whole "normal" ATB removal let's copy XIs battle system felt like they could have just copied Star Oceans or Tales of* Battle system which still works as of today, oh WTF it does can you believe that!?

Comment by metatron
    14:12 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Final Fantasy died by FFX.

14:56 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

FFX already died when Squaresoft made the protagonist a male version of Meg Ryan.

The fanboys loved it so much that Square-Enix thought it a brilliant idea to make a female version of Cloud next.

14:17 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It died when they introduced a character with half-half pants.

13:55 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I too have imported FF13 and have been playing for like nine hours now.To be very blunt and quick about it my Japanese is pretty poor and forget Kanji reading, but for the most part it's a good game. The battle system is interesting but requires little strategy. The maps and storyline ARE VERY LINEAR, that being said that is not a bad thing. This is an RPG but it's not Fallout or Oblivion. It tells a specific story about "their" characters and their struggles. You go point A to B with side quests inbetween. The only complaint I could have is that there is no room to really customize you character or party, everyone does one thing and thats it. Healer, Guard, Damage dealer, and Support etc. The leveling is also different too, gone are the levels of yesteryear. Your characters don't level up, you use the Crystal-something-or-other to increase HP, Strength, etc. So basically no room for custom a Lightening or Snow, they do what they can and thats it. Straightforward and to the point, enjoy the story no extra micromanaging necessary! So play it or don't, 'nuff said!

16:00 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

On the topic of the stat development, it would've been a good idea in principal, but they totally fucked it up by making it so you can't grind.

Seriously you get every upgrade on the skill paths, and you have to wait till the story will unlock the next parts of the grids for you and it repeats.

If it wasn't for the retarded capping it would've been fine. As it is now, its only an illusion of stat building.

14:15 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

^ Being positive is a good thing.

13:53 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sucks to be a FF fan, lulz.

They should have made it the FINAL fantasy like, at the 7th title.

14:13 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The game may appeal to some but in my opinion the Best was Final Fantasy 6 US or was it 3 in the Japan?(Locke and crew) I was hoping they made the story as compelling as that version. Probably rent this first.

14:33 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This game is a nightmare, and SquareEnix should be ashamed.

14:32 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So, what this article is trying to say is that games like ToV run circles around this crap. As I expected.

14:20 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

japensess games are all about story and scene , its like watching a anime or reading a manga , so if you dont feel it , just stop coming to this site and delete all your animes .

14:33 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

How do you delete dvds?

19:23 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

errm... rubbish bin?? DUH !

21:16 25/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree with Anon 14:20. First, I just have to say my first FF was 10, then I played 11, 12, X-2, 7, 4, and almost done with 9. I love watching anime, especially when the story and animation is good. (I've seen all the good anime.)

So...the big point is people say the reason for considering 13 to be horrible is because it's very linear and filled with cutscenes. Well personally, I think as long as the story and characters are good, the game is fine by my watch, and hopefully it's not too repetitive. But if it's like a movie experience, that is completely awesome for me. Games these days are getting more realistic graphics, which is a temptation for game developers to make their fantasies become more of a reality-drama story show, rather than focusing on a world exporation, dungeon grinding, roleplay experience. I'm sure all of you have heard the videogame industry is like Hollywood these days, right? It's this generation of games that have been considered a threat to the movie industry for being more realistic than ever before. So, my premonition is that games are going more towards the movie-watch play route. If you have realistic characters that pass off as real people, it's just... "logical" to make it like a movie from Square Enix's view I assume. I mean we got Advent Children, so I guess they want to go this route with their games, which is fine with me because like Anon 14:20 said, it's about the story and scene, not so much about playing role-play with Playstation1 graphics anymore.

21:24 25/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

continuing from 21:16

One thing I forgot to add is if the argument is that roleplay and exploration is lacking in FF13, that's what FF11 and FF14 are for lol! So all I really want from FF13 is just a good story, and most important would be meaningful characters. FF12 is a prime example of game with good gameplay, but horrible characters. If FF13 lacks good gameplay, it better have good characters to please me.

10:18 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Japan considers Final Fantasy X to be the greatest RPG of all time and both Tidus and Yuna are constantly in top 10 lists for characters, so I have trouble taking their opinions on gaming seriously.

10:24 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

this site filled with trolls, i wouldnt be surprise if any of you bought the game.

Comment by ryuanesha
    10:26 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

To me, the series died after FFX, I didnt like FFX, but I could still call it a final fantasy game(excluding x-2)

10:34 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

as long as they still got chocobos, I'll play it (more like watch it)

10:30 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Bah who cares about Final Fantasy, give me a remake or follow up to Xenogears, now that game had some story behind hit. And no Xenosaga does not count :P

09:07 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Remade Xenogear or bring back Hironobu Sakaguchi.

10:52 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

so that sakaguchi can continue to be an utter nonfactor?
    completely unrelated to FFXIII, but its funny how the sakaguchi fanboys refuse to acknowledge the man's been a complete nonfactor since leaving S-E to anyone other than fanboys desperate to cling to the faith.

hell, if you listened to the man disown S-E and Final Fantasy while hyping Blue Dragon, he wasn't even a factor in Final Fantasy for the past 10 years (oh yes you heard that right, according to Sakaguchi himself he was busy building a movie studio, NOT working much on FF7, or any game after)

09:00 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it sucks, who cares. versus is where its at any way.

09:00 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is all Wada's fault. That fucker needs to get ripped off of his CEO status.

Nomura's just fine, as long as he's not fucking in charge of projects.

Comment by Rensei Bayushi
    09:07 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like my prediction on critical response has held true. I'm certain in a few months people will be praising XII left and right until XV comes along and all of sudden XIII will appear to be god.

Complaining: the second biggest thing on the internet.

10:48 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the is a funny phenomenon isn't it. cause asi i pointed out earlier, this trend of critical bashing has happened with every FF since the PS1 titles.

happened to X (and yet NOW X gets voted as the best FF ever in polls for the last few years)
    then X-2
    then XI
    then XII

and just like you said, now that XIII has come out, all the XII bashing has suddenly turned into "they should have been expanding on what they did"

XII, the one that was supposedly reviled,
    the one that had reviews WORSE than what XIII is getting now
    and now its like "that game was in the right direction!"

XV they're going to do something new (cause its not like the franchise is known for experimenting at all) and if the trend for the past 6-7 years continues it'll be "why didn't they build upon what they did for XIII!"

09:39 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Because 2chan is such a reliable source of opinion. Gotta love the manufactured narratives this blog cooks up.

09:37 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmmm so fans are trying say this game is not good, and FF12 is better (I hated that game; wished I never spent the amount of time I did playing that piece of shit), they even say that FF10 was linear and crap (even though I loved the shit out of that game played it everyday until my report card said "FF")... okay well insta-buy; no regrets. Glad I ordered it.

Loved all the other FFs, except 7 and 12. Seriously how do you like a game where all you do is control you characters movement's? FF12 gameplay was basically just watch him fight then grind for more gambits yay, FF7 a good game, good extra stuff to do,but sporting an idiotic, overrated storyline arguably the gayest FF as well. And for God's sake, fags that are saying 6 was the best, shut up...we all know that it was the best, but there is no need to keep restating it, let sleeping dogs lie.

Seriously I've waited 3 years for this game, I've seen videos, played the demo, and I don't see what is wrong with it. I think people are pissed off that it doesn't meet all their demands, but damn give it some credit, every iteration of FF tries something new and excels at it; this one is CG and an active battle screen. Don't like it? Well don't buy it, it's as simple as that.

20:35 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So, if fans overrate a game (FF7), you hate it, and if they hate on a game (FFXIII), you support it?

22:15 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yea pretty much, but seriously when fans overrate they overlook the negative causing me to buy the game thinking there are no flaws; conversely if they hate a game, they will state the flaws and I will know if it's worth a purchase. From what I can tell it's a great game and they are exaggerating the flaws, perhaps SNK or SEGA should create future FF titles so the fans can receive true garbage and there will be no need to exaggerate minuscule flaws.

09:28 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I bet most people who reviewed it don't speak a word of japanese or don't speak enough of it. In other words, 99% of the reviews out there are invalid until the English version comes out.

Comment by tB
    11:47 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I believe the correct term is "Just Desserts". As in ice cream. Not sand.

Comment by MechaTama31
    07:36 25/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And you would be wrong. It is pronounced like desserts, but the word is actually deserts. Not deserts as in dry places, but a different word entirely. It means something that you deserve (you can see that both deserts and deserve come from the same root). It's an archaic word, and the phrase "just deserts" is pretty much the only place you will see it used anymore. It is a very widely held misconception that it is desserts, since that is how it is pronounced, and you can sort of see how "just desserts" might mean the same thing, in a more figurative way. But "just deserts" is correct, and I applaud Artefact for getting it right.

11:48 24/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Didn't they start from scratch again and dumbed everything down after Microcrap sent 10 trucks of cash to Wada's mansion? If I recall correctly they stated that FF13 was supposed to be an open world game. Microcrap is ruining the gaming industry. It started with pressing uncompleted games and later releasing it as DLC just cause' the shit won't fit on a dvd or to milk everyone for more money. They started the $59.99 price point crap. Wada is ruining what's left of Squaresoft. Lead free solder leading to RROD or YLOD. Worst generation ever. At least I still got FF6