Star Ocean 4 Xbox Beta After All!

myuria-tionysus-by-ueyama-michiro

Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope International, the PS3 edition of Star Ocean 4, is apparently set to have additional characters in addition to the previously publicised enhancements, suggesting the Xbox 360 may have been a beta much as with Tales of Vesperia, a prospect sure to aggravate long suffering Xbox RPG fans.

so4-perfect

Additional characters are promised; curiously, at least one character was previously confirmed as being cut from the Xbox 360 version…

The obvious suspicion is that some of Microsoft’s largesse helped secure the Xbox exclusivity, with the PS3 version being the “perfect” edition.

The game, region free and fully multilingual, is due in February, with pre-orders available now.

04:11 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

maybe the reason they can't have the extra stuff is because they didn't want to use another dvd? I mean so4 already used 3 dvds

04:06 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Star Ocean 4 sucked ass so whatever you Sonyfags can have it.

04:45 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't be jealous.

03:56 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

YOU RRoD 360 BETA TESTERS FAGS SURE GOT TOLD.

03:42 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Star Ocean 4 was a terrible game in so many ways, but mostly because of its plot - it is often cliched, predictable, plain stupid or all three.

The new "perfect" PS3 edition is very misleading. People who have played the Xbox360 are just paying full price again for basically some window dressings; people who have not played the Xbox360 will just be disappointed with the plot like the rest of us...so who is really the winner here?

00:28 19/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Until they drop a plot twist / rewrite. Which may or may not happen depending on what's added.

03:55 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is fucking outrageous, absolutely dispicable.

Normally I wouldnt give a fuck, but I own Star Ocean 4 and I expected that to be the full thing. Its just bloody wrong to bring out a game incomplete on one console and then finish it on another.

03:56 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

God damnit, a BETA is something different! BETA means FEATURE & CONTENT COMPLETE!

If anything, it's an ALPHA. A well-polished, bug-free (well, at least A-class bug-free) ALPHA, but still an ALPHA.

Not a BETA.

Please don't pretend you know anything about game development by throwing around terms like that.

04:27 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Beta needs to be polished, almost complete game.

Alpha is just pre-release, no features only the core component where stuff can be added later on after devs get feedback and feature requests...

or you're being just sarcastic...

Comment by InfiniteNine
    04:49 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looking forward to getting this! I love the Star Ocean series.

04:48 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

your all fags for argueing over a video game.

02:16 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice! A bit of extra for people who've been waiting for this. Now, if Bamco just gave us westerners ToV PS3..

02:15 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PCs > Consoles

I don't need to buy a whole piece of crap for just an upgrade, all I need to do is just getting new hardware for the pc.

Not to mention that PC has moar H games.

02:25 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Too bad said parts cost you as much as the "whole piece of crap" and need to be upgraded more frequently.

04:49 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wish people would give up on the "ur console sukz" wars.

Disclaimer:
    * I'm "owned" by Microsoft because I bought a PC with Windows XP.

* I'm "owned" by Apple because I bought a G3 with OS/X.

* I'm "owned" by Sony because I bought a PS/3.

That said... it _used_ to be that consoles were a simple and cheap way to get into gaming.

+ Standardized hardware, no surprises for the devs.
    + No configuration tweaks ("Open RegEdit and..."); no hardware upgrades required for the users.

- Devs limited by the fixed hardware.
    - No ability to patch buggy games.

o Your old games might, or might not, work on next-gen consoles.

Now, consoles are more PC-like in that:
    * You can/sometimes-must store game code to harddrive/flash storage.

+ Manufacturers can "fix" operating systems with "firmware updates".

- Manufacturers can remove functionality in operating systems by "firmware updates".

- Some games won't work unless you have version "X" of the operating system firmware.

- Manufacturers can disable consoles with "firmware updates".

It seems like a major loss for the end-users. (Goes back to playing NES "Duck Hunt"...)

Comment by bloodlust5
    22:16 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol console $400.
    lol PC = at lest $1500.
    20 console games = $2000.
    The same games on pc = 1000.(if you download they are free)
    DLC console = 30000 FAGMONEYS
    DLC PC = $300(only cause Xbox invented paying for the shit.)

Actual community priceless.

Comment by jcs
    02:33 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Star Wars 4: A New Hope

Comment by AsakuraZero
    02:36 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

as a xbox360 owner is not pleasing to see this type of news but on the bright side now everyone can enjoy a game that tbh i stopped playing after a few hours (it wasnt good enough to play it during school time).

also my bro have the ps3 so i can tell him to get the game and tell me anydifference or just play it at his home =s still its shitty to buy a game twice.

03:26 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck off.

This is just a disgraceful show by japanese devs.

03:03 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

more scenes with lymle please 'kay

Comment by Riiku
    03:11 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Srsly, if you're a fan of J-rpg genre, why would you buy 360? J-rpg = JAPANESE RPG, and PS3 is a console dominating Japan.

03:23 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Pretty sure the Wii is the console dominating Japan, and every other area for that matter.

06:19 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I was upset when I heard a better version of ToV was going to be released on PS3, but I could care less about SO4 since it was a mediocre jprg at best. Still waiting for ToV PS3 release date for the states...

21:12 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

NO!! Say it isnt so! Mass Effect 2 is comeing out for the PS3 *sobs*?

What? This is about Star Ocean 4 porting over to the PS3, not Mass Effect 2? Nevermind *stops caring*.

14:31 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

To everyone who claims 360 is better for piracy, I am assuming they don't know about MS making 360 consoles that have detected chips in them no longer capable of logging on Live, and if I remember right being able to read dvd's was also terminated and it voided your warrenty... so pirate away just don't complain when/if they find out and kill your xbox on you.

Me, its all about actually buying the games I want so meh :p

14:56 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No, the function they disabled was loading games onto the hard drive. This however, can be re-enabled with a new hack. Reading copied games still works perfectly fine. I personally dont give a shit about playing online.

15:05 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Who cares if *this* game was a beta or not? Nothing you can do will make it not suck completely, barring changing everything in the game except for the battle system. A new playable character? Big whoop. Every playable character in the game was terrible.

16:32 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I won't buy it even though I own a PS3, just as I wont buy ToV on the PS3 if it makes its way to the west.

Comment by Kamigod
    10:09 30/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

sweeeet love the StarOcean series
    i was so close to buyin a 360 for this.
    but i aleady knew this was gonna happen SO4 on bluyay yay

21:43 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You can add as much characters as you want to this game that won't make it any better. That's probably the worst game I've played this year.

06:18 18/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As long as I get more Moe/Ero content, I'll be happy.

10:20 18/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This game sucks shit regardless of what console it's on.

10:21 18/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If you like horrible, cheesy, cringe worthy dialog this game is definitely for you.

13:27 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

your still all fags for arguing over a videogame.

19:17 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Especially the ps3 fanboys :] . I know that playing only one good game (uncharted 2) on ps3 is a little boring :}

Comment by El Chaos
    08:03 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hope this one works better for Sony than "perfect" low-res Vesperia: worldwide sales of the 360 version are still 35% higher than the PS3's. That's a much better deal for both Microsoft and the non-Japanese speaking crowd (and no, no game will ever justify learning the language just to play it, don't be such laughable wapanese kthxbai).

Comment by Gligarman
    08:33 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's like the whole thing was a giant trap. The "exclusive" 360 version is released first but has some of the worst English dubbing in recent memory. Then, naturally, gamers are motivated to buy the bilingual "perfect" edition. I'm part of that demographic. Once I heard the voice acting I refused to purchase SO4. I'll stick with the international version.

08:53 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, in the coutry I live in, the average income is about 300~400 bucks. An imported game, considering that the developers don't bother selling games to us, is about 100~200 bucks.

You will have few options then: Play solitaire, don't play at all, buy a console and play one original game if much for year or play piracy games.

I don't repent playing pirate games, since they don't count us as costumers at all.

07:38 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hopefully the PS3 port will be better graphically (or al reast the same) this, unlike the PS3 port of ToV.

07:32 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It still won't make the story not retarded.

06:28 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You know, I really enjoy seing the 360 users getting f'cked in the ass but... this international version shit is nothing new. The only difference nowadays is that the first version is for 360 and the final version is for PS3. When Square was absolutely on Sonys side, they did the same on the PS2.

Comment by chad001
    07:01 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Huzzah! Do want indeed! Improvements on a decent game, that's always a good sign. :)

Comment by Soldatoflife
    07:05 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

*insert emotions of joy here*

Soon the PS3 will be worthy of my purchase, soon. Though already having a blu-ray reader on my PC lowers the desire of having a PS3. Three more good games and I may reconsider.

09:01 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Game is not very good either way so enjoy paying full price for a game that most xbox players have beaten and moved away from a looooonnnnnggg time ago. Oh wait you get a new cliched jrpg character or two to play as.

Well have fun with a port of a mediocre game while i enjoy Mass Effect 2. Btw i own a ps3 also just it collects dust.

00:31 19/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ahhh. naivete. How quaint. :)

13:07 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually bought a 360 for the specific purpose of playing Star Ocean 4, now I find out that the PS3 is getting the "perfect" edition? That makes me want to flame!

12:22 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

this is why people dont buy xbox360 games! they dl and burn them!

11:48 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As a further note, these companies are not on anyone's side, and any attempt to persuade the consumer base of that (Epic Games is a much better example here) is simply an attempt to augment their income by playing to an "us versus them" mentality.

In this case, though, Microsoft probably bought exclusive distribution rights for a period of time for both games, and then when it expires, the companies have to augment the titles since otherwise they are selling a year old game. But if they can get their fanbase to believe they are staying "true to Sony" then all the better, the fans are more likely to buy the game without thinking.

And in this case Star Ocean 4 is a very bad game, so it benefits from that.

11:17 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Does "exclusive" actually mean ANYTHING any more? It seems that any company that signs an exclusivity deal with a console developer is free to just ignore it whenever they feel like it these days. I blame Capcom- remember Resident Evil 4?

11:27 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ha-ha! *points to xfail fanboys*