“Brains of Game Addicts Same as Brains of Drug Addicts”

mmo-online-gamer-brain-vs-cocaine-addict-brain

Medical researchers comparing the brains of people addicted to online games and those addicted to drugs claim the same parts of the brain are affected in both cases, an insight which will come as little surprise to anyone familiar with MMORPGs.

The Korean research team used PET scans to analyse brain activity, and found the “game addicts” to have elevated activity in the areas such the orbitofrontal cortex and caudate nucleus compared to non-gamers.

Subsequent comparisons between the brains of MMO addicts (illustrated above on the right) and cocaine addicts (on the left) revealed similar patterns of activity.

The researchers express their hopes that these results will lead to a recognition of MMO addiction as a medical condition:

“These research results demonstrate that online gaming addiction requires specialised medical treatment just as narcotics addiction does, and we hope it will be recognised as just such a mental illness.”

Via Internet.com.

21:11 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Hi my name is anon and im an RPG addict.

yeah yeah. How often do you play? Number of hours played? So on, so on...

20:46 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What the fuck is good on mmo?
    I love JRPG. Yes, I LOVE turns battle.

But at MMORPG, it have lags.
    in Lunia, when I was playng in first stage...
    I had same reaction of Jean Pierre Polnareff when I was smashed by the rocks when I thougth I had scaped of them.

Second problem is other players.
    Oh fuck, the only thing what they can talk about is only about the game itself!?
    And why the fuck I have to worry about the relationship with other gameplayers!?
    Im not interested in orkut or facebook!
    I want to play RPG!!

It's pretty radical but any game turns shitty when it is mmo.

20:26 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well gameing like drugs smoking drink can becoem an addiction, I my self played tbh far too much when i was in school, first year of college I didnt do wonderfuly well because I was playing games not gettin the work done.

19:42 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

just like games have different degrees of being a drug :)
    and for many mmorpg's are at the top

stopping an mmorpg and going back to your previous game can then just make u lose all interest in games :)

21:35 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not really. Imagine yourself confined into your room for a week by your Mommy, and took away ur consoles, PC, mobile phone and other forms of communications and entertainment. And, you are being left with a deck of cards which you rarely touch. Surely, one day you would play solitaire or build skyscrapers with it.

21:22 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

More out out desperation for something to do than out of genuine interest.

21:22 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's great.
    ...I wonder what the brain of shopping addicts looks like then.

21:25 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I love to know too.

Comment by Zelnick
    21:22 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

MMOGs are shit. Every single one I've played was trash; especially Korean-made ones and World of Warcraft. More like highly interactive chat rooms for autistics and people with OCD than games.

21:28 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They aren't. It's the sh**ty people you played with and makes the game...S**t. Sorry to say that, but give it a thought.

22:56 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I prefer a game what is good independently of who is playng.
    I don't want to play "Facebook". I want to play "videogame".

01:04 13/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Indeed

Comment by Kurodo
    16:14 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it´s just the "addicted" thing what make them look almost the same.

15:31 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

this is BS and mis-leading!!! This article or the Neuro-Scientists need to elaborate more. Anyway, neither do I play MMO nor consume drugs. ;]

15:06 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I laughed. I study medicine and believe me, that's bullshit.

It's just some propaganda made up so that they could have something in their hands when arguing with game addicts.

Drugs are toxins which physically destroy your brain cells and affect your body, where as gaming can only give you exhaustion.

15:36 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed with you. As they said, Science and Religion do not mix...neither should be this. First of all, they said by playing games of certain genres do increase your mentality. And now, they are telling as this BS.

04:08 13/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I highly doubt that you do. If you did, you wouldn't have time to post on this website.

Either that or you probably study medicine in a 3rd world country. Your education is equivalent to a high school chemistry course. Bravo idiot.

17:11 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes now the police can invade your home searching for addictive substances, they'll get the warrant because they have a good suspicion you do own the said item. Imagine sneaking a console across the border in the dead of night.

18:14 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Game = Drugs lolwut
    Those drug addicts might as well play games
    They don't come with the second effect of killing you
    But may be influenced by the games and kill others

21:21 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Theoretically right. Unless you are too obsessed to that partically game, let alone the Stress, work, money, family, friends related problems, does contribute a gamer(s) to become one.

18:09 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Eh, I thought gaming helps one to improve their alertness or something. In my country they said gaming is good for the mind because you can learn to react quickly

21:16 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, you are right, by limiting yourself to a couple of hours in to gaming...you are fine. Juz like the Doctor's prescriptions to consume one's medication. Example, maximum dosage of X is 4 tablets per day, if consume beyond that amount, say like 8 ~ 10 tabs per day...then, it could lead to certain side-effects(need not elaborate).

21:20 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What country is that? Can I move there?

18:00 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Some friends and I get together, network our computers together in one of our houses, and play first-person shooters about four times a year.

We start at 11:00AM on a Saturday, and play for about 12 hours.

I've noticed that there's something wrong with my brain. I can't seem to focus on the game like the other guys do.

Every few hours or so, I have to get up, stretch, take a break, go to the bathroom, get a drink of water, go play with the dog, get something to eat...

/sarcasm/
    Computer gaming has obviously destroyed my ability to concentrate!
    /end sarcasm/

21:10 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Obviously, you are NOT a gamer yourself. /end/

17:44 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

In other news, brains look like brains.

23:51 14/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

as seen on http://jeuxvideo.fluctuat.net/blog/41391-recherche-bullshit-la-similarite-cerebrale-entre-drogue-et-gamer.html

Yeah, Korean are dumb

13:39 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wonder what it would show for a Drug Addicted Gamer?

Comment by lavadisk
    23:33 14/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I smoke weed every day because of my medical need for it (legal :) ) but its crazy cause I totally understand how these two things have correlations. I used to play games ALWAYS. now I smoke weed ALWAYS and play games sometime. and djing has taken up a part of my life.
    so yeah... peace... =_=

19:49 14/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

how can they say that as the dots have that distance between them in the planar axis, what about the 3D position ?
    What if it is not the addiction but pleasure or something else.
    Plus, those 2 brains look way too diferent. It's kind of comparing a monkey and a dog

06:18 14/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn! How does one cure this illness I suffer from?

19:25 14/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can imagine it now:
    "Quickly, flush the games down the toilet; there's a cop at the door!"

Comment by GHS
    13:35 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This kind of research has been around for quite a while already. I remember telling a story about to my friends like 8-9 years ago.

Comment by man1
    20:20 20/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I know a cure for online game addiction - P&P RPGs!

"In other news, cynical researchers comparing the brains of medical researchers and politicians claim the same parts of the brain are affected in both cases, an insight which will come as little surprise to anyone familiar with thinking."

Korea, oh you....

06:58 13/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If you look closely you can see the activity levels are measured on different vertical levels of the brain. This hardly proves anything i'd say, just because it's roughly in the same area wouldn't make it the same pattern.

Comment by Kurohana Setsuna
    07:42 13/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow are you serious...o_O? Playing games will be in actual Medical condition, that's some bullshit. Cocaine damages those parts of the brain. "The Korean research team used PET scans to analyse brain activity, and found the “game addicts” to have elevated activity in the areas such the orbitofrontal cortex and caudate nucleus"

Think about this for a sec - The orbitofrontal cortex (OFC) is a prefrontal cortex region in the frontal lobes in the brain which is involved in the cognitive processing of decision-making. - The caudate nucleus is an important part of the brain's learning and memory system. So if these parts of the brain are " elevated " then are we actually working out those parts of the brain by playing MMORPG's? Isn't working out our brain a good thing?

00:59 14/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yes it is. but i guess what they are trying to say is, too much dose of something is never good.

08:43 13/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Erm...doesn't this kind of apply to any addiction?

06:38 13/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

addiction affects the one part of your brain, food,sex,games,drugs. wow great reserch

Comment by Stiyl-Magnus19
    05:54 13/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

my poor brain!!!! xD

22:33 13/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I am a game addict, and I'm completing a PhD in Bioengineering, can you find me a drug addict that can say the same?

01:03 14/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually any kind of addiction(alcohol,drugs,pain meds,games...etc) would show on the same part of the brain which is the addiction center shown in the PET scan above. And that's not a recently discovered fact.

Comment by Myballz
    19:34 13/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Comparing a Drug Addiction to Game Addiction.For some reason I guess I can be a one of the few who admits I am have a Game Addiction.

If you want to say that we kill people,rob,rape and give handjobs just to play World of Warcraft then by all means go ahead lable us as such.

11:37 13/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i wonder if the brain of moral fag and nazifemenize have the same pattern? i mean they couldnt stop to demonize game, anime and other stuff, even if they want to

16:43 13/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, at least online gaming is cheaper than drugs.

18:57 13/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

YAY! So that means I can take heroin and when I don't have enough money for it, I get little crisis, but everything is just fine??? COOL!!!
    *WoW experience*

Gaming is not an illness, whatever is not completely normal, you find it like an illness... OMG! There are gamers and idiots who have no life or brain, so play all day.. and that's it!

10:07 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

scientifically, marching in a big group can trigger the same responses as cocaine so I wouldnt worry too much about the gamers

Comment by Ray
    10:08 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So now any enjoyable activity or hobby (let's just ignore drugs) is considered an addiction huh?

I'm betting 8 hour jobs for 6 days a week will never be considered an addiction aslong as it fills your funds, amirite government?

18:22 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ever heard of workaholics? There really are people who get addicted to work. It generally doesn't come at as great a personal cost as something less productive like gaming, but it can be a real problem for marriages and families.