Top Male Fashion Faux Pas: The Rucksack

dejiko-rucksack-otaku

Japanese fashion experts surveyed on what they consider the worst fashion choices a man could make have slated the rucksack as the most unsightly despite its handiness, also rubbishing a variety of other fashion blunders.

Curiously, their list all but mirrors the fashion most associated with otaku

The survey asked 120 female “advisors” with marriage service Onet what fashion choices men hoping to do well in konkatsu would do well to avoid.

The most maligned was the rucksack, with 20% saying it was no good, followed by carrying a secondary bag (15.8%), and the universally reviled waist pouch (“fanny pack”/”bum bag”) at 15%.

Bags were the biggest faux pas, but in other areas there were plenty too – white socks, dirty shoes, gold necklaces, excessive mobile phone straps, belts with strange buckles, and of course having a shirt tucked into the trousers.

Not mentioned were anime emblazoned T-shirts and similar – clearly no sensible person would ever consider attempting to court females so dressed, so it hardly needs to be pointed out.

It must be no coincidence that this list has such an overlap with the otaku fashion so loathed by women of taste

male-fashion-blunders

Comment by Sukunai
    06:32 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The whole article revolves around heaping hate on the cliched anime convention attendee obviously though.

And to my knowledge, the cliche anime convention type really has no particular interest in real women looking at them.

Comment by Pyrolight
    04:09 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL the tucking in your shirt is odd. Usually the richer you are then better you dress and tucking in your shirt is part of that.

Comment by Ukonkivi
    09:05 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree. The way I was raised, wearing slacks, and tucked in button up shirts is called dressing NICELY.

Whence did dressing extra casual = dressing good?

04:13 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Honestly, what the fuck do fashion experts know about anything? Maybe I just don't understand it, but fashion has to be one of the most transient and least satisfying jobs in the world...You never have anything to show for it other than clinging onto one materialistic sensation after another until you've become too old for anyone to really give a shit. I really wonder if any "fashion experts" end up saying, "oh my, I have wasted the last 40 years of my life."

07:41 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

All you really need is a towel.

07:51 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it me, or does that drawing they have up there look an awful lot like Chris-chan?

Comment by ドラゴン
    08:57 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ta'hell with all that. Just carry around a big red velvet bag everywhere you go. And just randomly yell out "HO HO HO!" and hand out shit to people ;)
    That might get you some chicks

Comment by Antiveli
    08:33 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anonymous said:

Same could be said of your like of anime.

Comment by Chris
    08:29 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Seems no one realizes that this survey is about men going to a konkatsu party (a marriage hunting party). In other words, a social event.

I can't imagine any guy going to such a thing with a rucksack and a fannypack...

07:55 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Never use any of them, a suitcase is better instead of a bag or something. I still use a rackpack since I attend to the university and EVERYONE uses them, so it's normal and handy for those many books and the laptop

03:45 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What the hell is wrong with white socks?

04:16 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why's it gotta be white? eh?

Comment by Antiveli
    03:40 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Guys, the article is talking about those who generally go out dressed like that thinking it's normal. As far as fashion goes I usually wear Levis 510 super skinnys or any other nice skinny jean. Shirts I have various shirts from Diamond, The Hundreds, Supreme, Crooks & Castles, and such. I also have various pairs of Nike AF1s, dunks, and SBs. I also wear a new era fitted hat every now and then.

15:44 28/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You had better be trolling me, but goddammit, skinny jeans on men is so blatantly homosexual...

Comment by Antiveli
    16:36 28/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Skinny jeans are very fashionable. Let me guess, your mom still dresses you right?

13:42 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

To a point.

There is a difference between jeans that are completely skintight, and jeans that are somewhat tight but still flexible and comfortable, and jeans that are just too huge and make you look like a douchefag.
    Depending on someone's build, they might decide on any of these styles. Particularly for the stereotypical obese American, the skintight jeans are just completely unflattering and I generally recoil when I see someone (of either gender) who just doesn't fit into their pants.
    On the other hand, it's become quite fashionable for men to wear skinny jeans if they keep a lean figure. Men with a wider build and more muscle tend to go middle-of-the-road, with a few exceptions of course.

Comment by tingle
    01:23 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why do women ALWAYS care about shoes? If I wear a 3 piece suit with dirty shoes chicks still look at me like "he must have no money"

01:36 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Because it isn't just a Forrest Gump reference; you really can tell a lot about a person from their shoes. Not as much as stated in the film, but certainly you can tell if they're dressed smart. Anyone can put on a suit, but not everyone can get a watch that matches the trim, or take the time to shine up shoes properly.

If you were at something like a speed-dating evening, remember you might only have a few minutes to get to know someone - so you'd latch onto anything you could to get a measure of them. I wouldn't specifically notice shoes, but I'm sure a lot of people would.

00:49 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

White socks lolwut? Well I'm good my red/blue wool socks most be fashionable.

01:13 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Rather strange tastes these "advisors" have on a few points, at least compared to locals.

1. Bags - where I come from rucksacks are steadily gaining popularity, particularly laptop users who are practically everywhere nowadays thanks to WiFi Services (in fact laptop security advise is to transport such wares in "nondescript" bags, because stuff like attache cases and traditional laptop carriers will attract thieves)
    2. White socks - Their point is applicable for officeware. For the sporty look, I wonder what they want to see?
    3. Dirty shoes - again in officeware or formal wear. I guess the outdoors and adventures are off limits to these advisors.
    4. Gold Necklaces - perhaps Mr. T scared them?
    5. Belts with strange buckles - any examples of these?
    6. A shirt tucked into the trousers - perhaps all the men these advisors keep seeing are way out of shape? Tucking in shirts is a preferred look where I come from, especially in the office.

01:33 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it's important to bear in mind that these are the kinds of things that you're not supposed to wear to a "konkatsu". Think about speed dating; you wouldn't go with a rucksack or fanny pack. If you needed a bag, you'd prefer to take a smart messenger bag or something similar.

Those things mentioned in the article make perfect sense, such as white socks - because you're expected to be dressed smartly, not arriving in sportswear unless you've just come from the freakin' gym.

Comment by Sukunai
    03:04 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Might be an urbanite thing or only specific to some nations, but here in Canada, the truly interested in fashion aka wealthy don't NEED top carry their shit around. They leave it in their cars.

Comment by Bakamoichigei
    03:27 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't really understand what the big deal is. I mean, it isn't difficult to NOT dress like a clown.

And sure, sometimes you're going to need to run around carrying a bunch of stupid crap and looking like a geek. There are times when that is appropriate, and there are times when you should put forth the effort to 'dress nice'.

So long as you can manage that common sense sort of stuff and avoid dressing like a fool, any woman overly-concerned with how you dress is probably a less than ideal partner. Because honestly, that's rather shallow.

For example, unless I am expecting company of some sort, I tend to bum around my apartment in one of several oversized tshirts and some comfortable pants. I wouldn't go outside in this, that's just common sense. I have comfortable 'inside' clothes for hanging around the house, I have active wear, I have 'nice clothes', I have work clothes, I have relaxed 'outside' clothes for hanging out with friends, I have a Tactical Response Uniform...but that's another story.

And a good bag that can hold a lot of stuff and still look good isn't hard to manage. I <3 my Tenba messenger bag. Combination messenger bag, camera bag, and laptop bag. Pretty damn spiffy. Looks good on me (So I've been told), comfortable, and keeps my camera equipment safe and secure. Not cheap though, there's always a trade-off. ;o

Perhaps some women just need to remember that we're not women. We don't give a shit how we look or dress, so long as we're not making asses of ourselves. (Well, most of us, anyway.) If they so badly want their partners to be attractive and fashion-obsessed, they're looking at the wrong gender.

02:55 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What's wrong with white socks?

Comment by OTIKA
    16:41 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There's nothing wrong about the socks, only those who belittle them.

Comment by OTIKA
    02:51 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Those socialable fools!

The rucksack, also known as the backpack, is the peak of equipment-carrying efficiency!

Not only does it carry all your necessary equipment safe from external dirt and travel damage (and in some cases, water), it also allows you to have both hands free for all kinds of situations; let it be an unexpected hostile approaching you, or when you need your hands to rescue somebody without having to waste time by dropping your equipment to do so!

09:18 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Because this description matches every one of you ugly fat otakus on here, its a good way of explaining why you'd choose a fictional 2D wife, who can't tell you how repulsive you are.

Comment by hALOTOO
    17:47 28/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Here is how I'll dress for my konkatsu
    1)boxer(no need for pants)
    2)slipper
    3)vest with Doraemon pocket
    4)my PSP hanging around my neck
    5)finally carrying my C.C. dakimakura since backpack is a no-no
    I'm sure I'll definitely look cool

09:27 28/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I use Rucksacks when needed. I've even been found using an waist pouch :O

Though I only use the pouch on (music) festivals because it is harder to steal something from it and perfect for holding my weed.

Other then that I fully understand why women are against men carrying bags of any kind. I mean how are the supposed to hold all the shopping bags if they already have bags of their own??

16:23 28/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wierd. I carry a rucksack/backpack all the time because I read while on transport and carry a bottle of water as well. The same bag is what I use to carry my tons of notes and other schoolwork related material to school >_> I'd ratehr carry my load in a balanced manner on both shoulders cause its just sometimes so darn heavy.

Comment by man1
    19:27 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There are reasons why people dress they way they want to, simply because they don't want to do what they don't intend to do. These so-called "experts" should know their own place and know that there exists other places beside their own.

If I want a bag to carry my stuff, I'll just get the nearest decent bag in a heartbeat. That or I'll bring my own.

Going out just to get bread shouldn't feel like going on a date because I don't want to go on a date. I just want to get my bread. Couldn't get any simpler than that. Just... GIVE ME MY *censored* BRREAAADDD!!!

Comment by Hawke
    02:46 03/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I dont think Ive EVER seen anyone dress like that in real life... IF you have more bags than a woman, I can see her being turned off.

Comment by Stiyl-Magnus19
    08:07 28/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

otaku is culture!!!

07:46 28/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn! That is exactly what i look like...

11:11 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't bother with this one it is pointless.

Comment by celebrinen
    11:01 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Douche yes, but armed!
    Put that on a t-shirt "Armed Douche"

10:28 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

People need to learn how to spell.

Comment by motaku96
    17:10 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm...I wear sweats, white socks, sneakers, and a messenger bag.

16:27 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Shit, Boo shirts conquer all

Comment by Soljashy
    16:21 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Bah, whatever. I love my fanny pack.

Comment by H-Ero
    00:36 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"white socks"

Why is that bad?

Comment by Fapping Time
    00:35 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

fuck me, my clean white socks have doomed me....

Comment by vin-nii
    20:20 26/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

where can I get one of those 'lol'belts?

20:01 26/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What's a rucksack? Is it a backpack or is it a handbag?

02:58 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

^ This

Like 'Doppelgänger' (ä=ae) - for example - it is a loanword.

Comment by celebrinen
    20:06 26/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Backpack, rucksack is the common Japanese term.

20:41 26/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I disagree with some of the sentiment here- particularly that a backpack is worse than a branded shopping bag. I may use the items in question, but it's a far cry from serving as a walking advertisement.

Giant belt buckles are likewise defensible, but only if you're a certain type of person. Trying to act like you are with a cardboard personality will understandably have adverse dating effects.

Those orbital head sparkles, though? Total chick magnet.

Comment by Fiona
    21:35 26/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

White socks are a fashion faux pas which makes one undateable in Japan? You have got to be fucking kidding me.

23:52 26/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't understand the white socks thing either, I never knew sock color mattered. I wear short white socks everyday with pants long enough of course, and i've never seen a teen or any young person wearing colored socks. Is it a japanese thing?

21:36 26/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

IMO a single backpack is good enough. The rest can be stored either a vest, cargo pants, shoes, or hair.

21:10 26/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"fashion experts"