PS3 Gets 3D Glasses Support in Free Firmware Update

ps3-3d-glasses

Sony has announced that the PS3 will be getting full support for stereoscopic 3D glasses in a free firmware update.

SCE CEO Kazuo Hirai lays out their plan:

“The firmware of all currently released PS3s will be upgraded to make them compatible with [stereoscopic] 3D games. As a result there is no need to buy any new hardware to play these 3D games.”

The functionality and games are set for release in 2010; there is no word on whether only future games will support the stereoscopy, or whether previously released games will be upgraded to support it, which sounds optimistic to say the least.

As with any console accessory, an unrealistically expensive set of official 3D glasses seems likely, although making proprietary 3D glasses would be quite a feat.

Seemingly the PS3 goes from strength to strength, with the only serious opposition it is likely to face coming from Microsoft’s supposedly revolutionary Project Natal, although this system seems more targeted at the Wii.

Even so, Sony is shamelessly copying both Natal and the Wiimote with its “Motion Controller” / “PlayStation Eye” combination, although whether this goes the way of its all but unused SixAxis motion sensing remains to be seen…

ps3-mote-project-playtal-2

ps3-mote-project-playtal-1

12:08 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm guessing since NVIDIA made the graphics chip for the PS3, it will use NVIDIA's stereoscopic 3D glasses, it shouldn't be too pricey, but these aren't your every day run of the mill colored glasses, of course.

11:15 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

sony got eyetoy for their PS2.

Comment by Rinfinite
    14:18 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a nice thing you will get a 3d support for free...but you need to buy a glasses AND a tv/monitor which can support 3D aswell..and those are not cheap my friend.

09:28 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So what good does 3D do for games? Seems like it would just cause problems with the game play (unless it's just for cutscenes).

10:17 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Is that some fat American in the middle of all those Asians? Why does he have 2 monitors when the others only have one?

Look out Sony guys! That's probably a Microsoft ninja up to no good.

09:38 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hopefully this doesn't get treated as some big revolution in gaming. It seems like those are becoming a dime a dozen anymore and I have yet to be impressed by any of them.

03:43 22/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lmao @ myballz

08:08 21/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

these look like shutter glasses or polarization filters.
    the former would only require game support, while the latter will need a 3d tv... and it won't work if you've got a projector. unless you buy a second one and some magic interface.
    both ways, it's a really cheap upgrade from sony's side.

05:09 25/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ps3 camera is crap cant se this working

Comment by Riiku
    02:07 21/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck all this bullshit accessories. Just bring a mouse to the consoles and voila, you'll have instant unlimited functionality and precision. What, a simple mouse is not fancy enough for you? Up yours.

10:06 21/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's been done. Complete with keyboard. By a little console called the 'Dreamcast'. We all know how well THAT went, don't we? (Don't get me wrong, I loved the Dreamcast to bits, but it really did fail undeservedly.)

01:58 21/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hey come on, Sony does have something on the other two console's already... i mean, their motion controller is used to controll characters' BOOBIES. Not even the Wii has done that yet! THE FUTURE IS NOW AND IT IS SONY D:

16:35 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So true buddy u should add 360 fail also.

16:35 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Who care microsoft fail big anyway.

18:45 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Copying Natal? Your head must be backwards.

Comment by Poyo The Great
    20:50 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL'd! 3d glasses.... I just realized it was the 3d glasses... I thought it was something like transparent glass of windows vista. I was like, HUH?

08:56 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't stand the fact that there have been so many recent 3D movies and now games are going to be 3D? I hate when people need to rely on gimmicks like these. IMO things like 3D don't add to the experience, they just take away from it instead.

Comment by
    09:08 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't stand the fact that there have been so many recent color movies and now games are going to be color? I hate when people need to rely on gimmicks like these. IMO things like color don't add to the experience, they just take away from it instead.

08:49 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's good to have a taste of the future

Those guys above are even serious about it, probably scaring off competitors

03:52 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Console wars? More like gimmick wars.

04:02 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So can players now embrace the liveliness of any 2/3D girl as if they're standing in front of them..?

04:37 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

so more new stuff Sony's doing to the PS3 - still no backwards compability = FAIL

Comment by Roninracer
    16:19 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Buy a used PS3 that has the model number CECHH01

That will get you a backwards compatibility chip (PS2 Emotion chip I think) in the unit.

Since everyone is picking up the new cheap slim PS3, you can probably get a unit pretty easily.

Note that it has a 60gb HD but you can easily throw a 500gb in there for about $89 US.

04:56 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

if you wanted BC, should have bought the ps3 when it first came out...without all that junk in there it lowered the price for those who wouldn't fork out the money to buy it at the high price with the BC. also if you really want BC then just do what they say go buy a ps2 that is super cheap and there you go.

08:20 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They sell PS2 games in PSN now. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot by giving back BC? They make money from people buying their games AGAIN on the PSN.

01:54 24/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You retard... PS1 games ARE sold on the PSN, not PS2. Do you even have a PS3? All you do is talk shit out of your ass.

06:19 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

dumb ass comment about no BC is fail = retarded fanboy

seriously. this is 2009. if you're gonna make a comment like that go shoot yourself in the head. we don't need your kind here.

04:33 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Rule 34 all over again...

04:30 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

YOU RRoD 360 BETA TESTERS FAGS SURE GOT TOLD.

15:58 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

...this...this is actually starting to become quite the meme.

03:16 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I would still take a PC though!
    There is so many peripherals that is supported by the PC that NO OTHER CONSOLE COULD EVER SUPPORT!!!!!

Comment by HyperKnuckles99
    02:57 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Let the gimmicks continue.

Comment by Artefact

At least it is better than their PSP link feature...

03:13 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh yea, it shamelessly rips off Natal, right? Goood, dude, u know Natal is just Eyetoy and it got announced the same day as Natal, how is that a rip-off, let alone shameless?

Geez.

Comment by InfiniteNine
    12:19 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well Sony didn't realy rip off the Wii, but Nintendo and Sony did rip of the idea of using a remote-like controller for game consoles from Sega. Look it up.

Comment by Myballz
    15:28 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, Eyetoy had some sucess Sony wants to make a another version that comes with a light up remote that would attract Japanese women who want something that looks like a sexual object.

09:11 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I could have sworn the eyetoy was released way before 2007.

05:04 11/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

um, does project NATAL even count? it's not even on the market yet, therefore doesn't really exist as of yet.so how can you really compare something that doesn't exist to something that's actually here?

01:17 21/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

08:47, you kinda got your facts wrong, Sony didn't back out of the Gamecube, Nintendo backed out on Sony when it found out that Sony, who had been working on a CD drive for the SNES ( the SNES-CD, ultimately reworked as the PS1), had a clause in their contract that would give them full control of any and all releases on CD. Obviously, when Nintendo's CEO found out, he was rather unhappy about it and the alliance fell through, and Nintendo decided to go with Philips for it's CD addon, which also never saw release.

00:26 21/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If your sexual object has a light on the end, you may want to consult a professional.

Comment by Bla7e
    03:38 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If it were anything I'd say Natal ripped off sony since sony introduced EyeToy back in around 2007 for the PS2 xD Though I can't say they aren't ripping off from Wii xD

03:29 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Dude... Like totally... Do you know that the eye toy and Natal work in differnt ways? Like it totally has built-in image processer and the Natal system does it's own motion detection? Dude, it totally does. Does the eyetoy do that? Naw, dog, naw.

08:10 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

^
    Nintendo Gamecube actually ripped off disc media from PS1 and Sega MegaDrive CD.

08:38 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nintendo didn't invent the control stick Atari did.

08:47 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well actually, not as much ripped off as... well... Sony just sort of gave up. Nintendo+Sony partnership -->Gamecube technology (-sony)= Nintendo Gamecube. The thing is half sony technology, they just backed out and left all of it to Nintendo.

08:43 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually I forgot to mention that Atari based the control stick off of joysticks on arcade machines.

Comment by Chen-03
    07:49 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't remember nintendo ever ripping off something from another console. Might have to do with the fact, that nintendo pretty much invented everything the others are ripping off. Like the control stick, R and L Buttons and downwardly compatible games.

07:45 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The EyeToy (and the XBL Vision Cam) is just a USB webcam. Natal is much more than that : camera, IR camera, depth sensor, and has its own CPU.

Comment by Jarmel
    05:21 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Then might as well say every console is ripping off each other as it's just hardware upgrades. Natal is a MAJOR jump over the Eyetoy. Whether people actually use it and if it would be good for gaming is another story and depends on the developers. Nevertheless you could say the EyeToy was a starting point.

Comment by Bla7e
    07:40 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is the reason I gave up hardcore gaming up and started being a massive anime freak xD Only reason I own a 360 is purely because of the good hack n slashes it sometimes and the exclusives that sometimes come out for it. xD Though I plan on buying a PS3 at some point since it also has good games but I was never a MS fanboy. Now I only play the games for the 360 only for the game. out of around 20 games I have only completed around 10-20% of their achievements and after I got banned from Live I'll just downgrade games to wave 3 since it's too much of a hassle to upgrade. xD Heck I even had to send my pc on repair for around a week because of the stupid console. Who'd want their pc to stay at a repair shop for some console when they can just play the game another way but not going live. So in short. Most consoles not only rip each other off but additionally some of them even fuck up the users for a shitload of dumb and stupid reasons. Fanboys can bash at me all they want but they will have to agree with me at some point in time. Wether it'll be soon or in the future depends on them. There is no such thing as a perfect console or best console or better console in the current generation of gaming. All companies are competing against each other and we the buyers are the ones who take the whip and there are tons of fanboys who worship and worship for nothing. If there'd be a reason I'd buy a PS3 it'd be a PS3 from JP so that I can play eroge jrpg's and the only other game I'd wish to play for now would be God of War 3 but I don't think I'll buy many other titles for it. Even if most of the companies are currently concentrated on consoles since their specs don't differ as compared to pc's I don't think I'd still buy most of the games that are for the consoles.

Whoa I really went out and overdid it. Should start on shortening my posts since it's probably a pain in the ass for most of you to read such a long comment regarding consoles xD Oh well whatever. xD

07:20 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You wont consider it just a gimmick when microsoft and sony join forces and we get 3D camera interactive games.
    Ero 3D and camera interactive games with the project natal and now this.
    It will be the next logical step of love plus.

09:18 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What's the point of stuff like that if you can't actually feel what you're doing? Have fun humping air. I won't be impressed with any of these gimmicks until virtual reality systems that you see in scifi movies becomes available.

Besides, why would most gamers want to see themselves in videogames? Last time I checked, most gamers weren't very interesting to look at.

06:55 22/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually I think I look good all my characters I play I want to look like me. lol Just because you don't like how you look doesn't mean others see themselvse in a negative manor. But yeah, i would have to agree with about using it in an Ero game would be useless for those who are playing it just to get off, well in the physical sense. But i'm sure the Pro-verted minds on this site get off in ways you wish you had the sense, and courage to understand.

Passenger Seat Dogg

I'm not a pervert

I'm a Pro-vert, because I'm good at it.