Valve: “Xbox 360 Head & Shoulders Above PS3”

left4dead-raep-is-imminent

Left 4 Dead developer Valve has condemned the PS3 and scotched any notion that the series will be appearing on the PS3, saying the Xbox 360 community is “head and shoulders above the PS3.”

In recent comments, Valve says it thinks the “community aspects” of the Xbox 360 are superior, although they generously concede the PC may not be wholly inferior:

“Right now for Left 4 Dead 2 we’re looking at PC and 360 because the community aspects really fit the game – it’s all about playing with your friends.

They sound worried people might hold out for a PS3 version for some reason, and so are keen to quash this:

“But that’s the short term. What we’re looking at for the long term… if it works out, it works out. Right now don’t not buy it on the 360 because you think it’s coming out on the PS3 – it’s not going to. Right? It’s coming out on the PC and 360. It’s going to be exclusive for that.”

Earlier E3 comments from Valve echoed these sentiments, but blamed the PS3’s poorer development tools:

“The PC and the 360 are just more straightforward. We can focus on what we want to do, which is make game experiences, instead of sweating bullets over obscure architectural decisions they make with their platform.

I didn’t come into this business in the 90s because of some technical fetish. I came in because I wanted to give people experiences that made them have fun.”

Saying “we got a huge development subsidy from Microsoft to keep it exclusive, right?” just doesn’t sound as good…

Comment by Nin
    08:54 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This guy sounds like quite a noob to be honest.

Comment by MusicalNote
    09:30 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This amuses me a great deal. The Xbox is just plain good at FPS. The PS3 has its RPGs (which I envy). The Wii specializes in platformers. Each console has their strong point.

So what if Xbox got a shooter? The odds are that if someone has an Xbox it's for shooters, or for WRPGs. PS3 got an updated Tales game. Wii has... Aside from Rune Factory Frontier I can't think of any interesting 3rd party games they've acquired that wasn't on another console first... But I'm still a Nintendo fangirl, damn it!

09:48 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Its Witch!!!!!

08:49 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

their idea of fun is shooting everything in sight, problem is the put so little interest in architectural matters that people got bored, and found it a lot more fun to take their guns to the street and shoot people, real fun isn't it?

08:44 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I am aware that some PS3 owners want to play Left 4 Dead 2, but that isn't really the reason for all the hate Valve gets from PS3 owners. Valve has two options; either develop for the PS3 or shut the fuck up. It's comments like :

"The PS3 is a waste of everybody's time"
    "I don't think they're going to make money off their box."
    "a total disaster on so many levels"
    "I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a do over"
    and most recently
    "The Xbox 360 community is “head and shoulders above the PS3.”"

If Valve just said they simply don't want to develop for the PS3 and left it at that, all would be well. After all Epic isn't getting any hate for not bringing Gears of War to the PS3 and neither is Ubisoft for Splinter Cell: Conviction. It is irresponsible for any sensible company, especially one of Valve's standing to purposefully alienate a potential userbase (one growing very rapidly) with incendiary comments.

Comment by JanusVX
    09:13 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like how you put your statement: " any sensible company". It's quite obvious from their numerous ignorant statements that they are in fact, not sensible in the least. You cannot oust the PS3 userbase as 1) They own the console wars in Japan and Europe as many before me have said, and 2)the 360's fanbase is full of bootleggers and hackers. I read a post the other day that stated that MS is "finally taking action" and trying to get rid of the prolific hacking and such. I've never personally played L4D, my friend says it was great when he first got it, and after that I didnt hear from him again about the game. And the last time I checked, PS3 has no reference to a box of any kind, theres only one box in the console war and its a sinking ship.

12:04 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

360's fanbase is full of bootleggers and hackers? Well fuck me! Here I thought I was playing CoD4 on the PS3 with it's flying, god-mode morons. Silly Microsoft must of put a PS3 inside a 360 case.

I wish I did own a 360. At least they clean out the shit every once in a while. Sony doesn't give a fuck about us until it's something that steals money from their pockets. I haven't seen a hacker yet on CoD4 for 360, yet you can't get away from them on the PS3 until it was updated to hell and back. As for bootleggers, give it enough time and we'll be seeing some bootleggers when blu-ray prices drop. I'm so fucking sick of hackers on PSN that it isn't every funny.

Comment by Akagi
    03:29 09/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not a hack, it's an exploit from level design bugs. There is no hacking on the PS3. Their encryption technology is bananas and has yet to be cracked even all these years it's been out with an entire scene working on it, which is why you don't see any bootlegs on the PS3.

Left4Dead on the 360, however, is hacked to hell. I've seen people the size of buildings raining down molotovs all over the place, spawn truckloads of guns, noclipping, creating flash mobs of zombies on command, carpeting the streets in tanks, etc.

Comment by Ciscotaku
    14:05 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hey, just cause you suck ass in the game doesn't mean everyone else are hacking.

20:26 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

On yes! It's me! So, tell me Costcotaker, what button do I push to make me fly in CoD? Or how about falling through the ground? Make myself disappear? How about freezing every in fucking place while you kill them?! *Ok, that last one is a lag switch, but I just learned that 20 minutes ago and can be used on any system, even PCs.*

Ever want a taste of my metal punk ass, hit me up in Killzone. I'll be happy to splatter your brain bits all over the walls. Name the place and time. <3

12:28 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I too, think that Valve could've just said "We're not developing for the PS3".

However, I can sort of understand the desire to vent, especially after spending lots of time, money and effort to code for something that, in the end, bears no fruit.

So before jumping on the "Valve is lazy" bandwagon, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. The fact that they "claim" that the PS3 is a bith to develop for, implies that they HAVE tried.

22:17 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Try is basically a euphamism in programming for lazy. If you can learn how to program at all, you can learn how to program for anything. It's all about effort, and most people don't like the prospects of learning something new. Valve just thinks about having to learn something new, then says "forget it" while trying to cover up their ineptitude and fanboyism.

08:07 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And the only reason most Japanese games are PS3 exclusive is purely because the PS3 is Japanese. As if it has anything to do with anything other than that. If it was the 360 vs the PS1 they'd still prefer to put games on PS1 because "it's Japanese"... doesn't matter if the PS3 is a bloated mishmash of half a dozen different ideas sloppy slapped together by Sony.

08:09 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, and I'm not just a loony 360 fanboy, I owned a PS3. And guess what, it broke after a year, and Sony wanted hundreds of dollars to fix it after THEIR FORCED SOFTWARE UPDATE BROKE IT. Seriously, fuck Sony to hell. At least Microsoft came clean and offered the extended warranty on RROD.

Comment by Ciscotaku
    14:01 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"At least Microsoft came clean" LMAO

10:48 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Gabe Newell is just a big fat fanboy no better than your average /v/ poster.

12:46 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Coming soon! Next year Left 4 Dead 3 on the PS3. LOL Like Valve gonna give up easy money. Looks like 360 Beta US style. LOL

11:44 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This whole thing reminds me of the Ali G show, where Bruno and 2 critics bash celeb photos, but then Bruno points out that Paris Hilton's family has a finger in the show's production, and they do a 180 and say she's not a class-less whore. It's pretty funny.

Honestly, if it is between me buying another 360 to play LFD2, getting the CPU version, or not playing it, I'm choosing not playing it. Non FPS action games never feel right on the computer, and the 360 is a nightmare in every regards (countless hidden fees that make the 360 the most expensive system on the market, constant worrying about the system dying should you decide to play it, constant fear of being a beta tester for new games, and not to mention the entire online player base being arrogant highschool or younger morons and drunken party-college fratboy idiots. I'd sooner pay to be sodomized and gangbanged by a herd of AIDS infected water buffalo than willingly go online and interact with these people). I like zombies, but I don't need this game to get my zombie fix. If you haven't notived, we are in the zombie, werewolf, and vampire golden age.

05:40 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fanboys are such idiots and so quick to judge everything lol.

06:39 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

uh-huh sure
    Remember when Resident Evil 4 was a Gamecube exclusive
    howd long that last

06:18 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

play dragon age on the xbox360 and PS3 and then say the xbox360 version is head & shoulders above the PS3 then...

yup dragon age is fugly on the xbox360, allot more fugly than the PS3.
    but who buys a PC game on a console anyway? it's like people getting a valve game on a sucky console.
    as if PS3 owners don't have enough money to have a decent pc? also online is fully free on the PC...

Comment by TellTime
    13:03 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Right now for Left 4 Dead 2 we’re looking at PC and 360 because the community aspects really fit the game – it’s all about playing with your friends."

Apparently the PS3 community is full of loners, since when?

18:28 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Since always.
    I don't recall ever finding a PS3 active at a house party with 12 people trying to play Resistance 2.
    Maybe because PS3 is a console designed for japanese men who live by themselves and therefore, justify the fact that the majority of the games are single player oriented.

Wii is a great party console. 360 is great at both parties and online. I have a hardcore ps3 fanboy friend, who bought a 360 for Modern Warfare 2 EVEN THOUGH it was coming for PS3 as well. Why is that? Maybe because 90% of his friends had it for 360. He comes over every weekend to play Cod4 on 360 anyways, so mind as well just get one himself.

13:20 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

its the cash dude.

"In hooking up with your friends and the community aspects, I think the Xbox 360 is head and shoulders above the PS3. The 360 and PC are on par, right?”

why in the world would they make a comment like that? do they have anything to back that up?. i officially dont like em now. all they had to say is that its xbox exclusive. not pull bs out there ass. also games that had time spent on them actually sell ****loads on the ps3. they seem really lazy.

08:50 09/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

fuck valve. fuck that fatass newell

22:52 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I dun hold anything negative against Valve..... although i am a PS3 owner....

To be honest i will be more piss off if Valve stop releasing its shooter on PC and only releasing it on X360.

22:12 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It doesn't seem like many of these developers are saying stuff like this in a reasonable manner, but more like your average internet retard fanboy would say it. It's like Western developers are heralding the rise of the 100% quality Western console and using the opportunity to unleash all the pent up butthurt fluids building up due to their own gaming industry inferiority complex over Japan resurrecting it.

09:30 09/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

valve is garbage anyway; they release an uncompleted game (L4D, with 1/4 campaign missions playable in versus at release) and nearly a year later, they decide to release the sequel. very classy.

11:12 09/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Team Fortress 2 is awesome.

02:34 10/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

right?
    right?
    right?
    right?
    right?

Comment by Ero-Kurage
    14:38 12/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's fine, I don't think I'm missing a lot here, not like you're FF13 or MW2 or GTA4. So don't sounds like you're a console-buying game series, nobody is buying 360 because of you, unlike Halo or GoW series.

18:04 09/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh man! I can't believe some gamers still have the time to play their games fighting amongst themselves as often as they do.

14:35 09/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow I wish 360/PC/Ps3 fanboys would stop bashing the shit out of each other. Hell I have all 3 and enjoy the shit out of everyone of their exclusive titles. Uncharted 2 is the shit and so is L4D2. The only people who are missing out on anything are the ones who don't own all 3.

15:56 09/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well xbox 360 has l4d 2 and ps3 has God of war 3. Seems to me like everything is fare.

17:44 09/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol @ the Ps3 fanboys saying a game sucks just because it's not coming to their console.

15:05 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

To artefact: What he's saying about the development tools is true, wether he's paid by microsoft to keep it exclusive or not.

15:29 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i only play fps on pc anyway so whatever help you sleep at night valve.

18:44 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Xbox is a shitty console, i know. But I bought an Xbox 360 instead of a PS3 cause it has more and better games, while only ps3 games i like are MGS4 and Little big Planet.

19:43 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually this "community" thing does make sense. It's not Valve's fault that majority of Xbox community like actions and shooters, and a lot of PS3 community like games like tactical RPG's and other weird Japanese games (wich often require you to work instead of relax and enjoy. Like level grinding). L4D 2 just wont be this popular on PS3. Especially in Japan where PS3 blooms.

04:23 09/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Japanese love Left4Dead just so you know

Comment by acejem
    16:24 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

First thing, to all the people who are saying L4D sucks because the single-player sucks, L4D is not meant to be a single player game. If you are solely playing for that reason, you are wasting your money. Bots are stupid as hell and it's simply not fun playing with/against bots. FPS'es, at least good ones, are all about the multiplayer experience. For example (not saying these games are uber awesome), why is Counterstrike:Source and Call of Duty series praised by a lot of people. The answer is it is because it has good multiplayer capabilities and a good community, generally. Same goes with L4D. L4D is actually unique in the FPS genre due to the survival/horror elements to it.

Second, L4D is a PC game first, then a console game next. I may be ignorant, but I still don't see the benefits of playing a FPS on console when a mouse and keyboard can do the job way better. Things like "auto-aim" and "auto-targeting" imo is lame and ruins the experience. I'm sure a lot of "pro-FPS" players will bag this point too. Hence, I see no point in people buying a FPS on a console if you have a computer capable of playing it. Only reason you would get it on a console is if you have a shitty computer.

Thirdly, PS3/XBoX360 fanboys, lay off it seriously. Stuff like "Haha, my console has a better game and it's exclusive to my console" or "Pff, that game is shit anyway. I don't care it's on my console" is getting really lame. Just get both consoles and play games on both. P

Personally, I have a pretty decent PC and a PS3 so I've been playing good games on those. Planning to get an xbox360 this Christmas and gonna buy/play good games on those. Reasons I didn't get an xbox360 earlier was because I couldn't afford both consoles at the time and I was dubious about the whole RROD thing, but in practice seems to be way exaggerated. All of my friends own xbox360s and only one of them have had the ring, and they are all semi-hardcore gamers too.

20:26 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So what's your point?

17:28 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Haha, lazy. Rewriting over millions of code is lazy.
    It wouldn't sell on the PS3 anyway. Small dicked nerds might nerdrage that the bullets don't shine or the hordes are too small.

00:30 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

gamepad + shooter = fail

no matter what you say m&k wins always.

Comment by Azwethinkweiz
    00:18 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

L4D was fun but it got tiring rather quickly... I'll probably just be renting the sequel. To Ps3 owners hoping the game might come to their system, your not missing too much. (its fun don't get me wrong, just not a game worth paying 60 bucks for IMO)

00:21 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like how they say "It's coming out for PC and 360. It's going to be exclusive for that." If they can take M$' dick out of their mouth for a minute they can look up the definition of exclusive.

12:44 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If you take your head out of your ass for a minute, you can realize that both Windows and Xbox 360 are from Microsoft.

15:20 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ex⋅clu⋅sive [ik-skloo-siv, -ziv]
    -adjective

3. limited to the object or objects designated

Note the pluralization.

I see no issue. As an incredibly nitpicky grammar nazi, I say you fail at being a grammar nazi.

Comment by CowExtract
    16:30 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Mr. Anon, you sould make an account here, and and use "Grammer Nazi" as your screen name. I give you my blessing on this matter.

00:26 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well what can i say except

Grabbing pills