xbox-360-tan-by-aida-kan-mori

Microsoft has irrevocably banned unprecedented numbers of modded Xbox 360’s from its Xbox Live service, stressing that piracy will no longer be tolerated, and happily pointing out that such units have voided their essential warranties.

The official line on the bans, which have been meted out in large numbers in the US, Japan and elsewhere, runs thus:

As you may have read online, we’ve been actively banning consoles from Xbox LIVE that have been modified to play pirated games. Our commitment to combat piracy and support safer and more secure gameplay for the more than 20 million members of our Xbox LIVE community remains a top priority.

All consumers should know that piracy is illegal, and that modifying their Xbox 360 console to play pirated discs, violates the Xbox LIVE terms of use, will void their warranty and result in a ban from Xbox LIVE.

The health of the video game business depends on customers paying for the genuine products and services they receive from manufacturers, retailers, and the third parties that support them.

This would also be a good time to remind you that the warranty on an Xbox 360 console is not transferrable and if you purchase a used console that has been previously banned, you will not be able to connect to Xbox LIVE.

Considering the situation surrounding Microsoft’s hardware failure rate, a completely voided warranty is a virtual death sentence to many of the units concerned (assuming they could still be passed off as unmodded). Microsoft may as well have disabled the consoles outright…

The non-transferrable warranty and potential flood of banned consoles onto the second-hand market also conveniently double as ways of ensuring a significant disadvantage to buying second-hand units, though whether this is deliberate is of course not clear.

Just what effect all this will have on Microsoft’s somewhat depressed hardware sales remains to be seen. For a significant number of users, the ability to pirate Xbox 360 games was a major advantage to owning the Xbox 360 over the PS3…

01:07 07/11/2009 # ! Good (+0.6)

Microsoft gives us beta games and region lock
    we gives them pirate games and mods

I think it's fair

12:56 07/11/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This is a very old issue.
    Microsoft bans modded consoles since long ago.

08:10 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well, unlike most people here, I agree with Microsoft. Piracy needs to be stopped, and this is a pretty good way to discourage them. Besides, Modding your console is grounds for a voided warranty in any case, last I checked, so maybe they should've thought about that before they did that.

Mysterious Voice: "Are you insane? 'Pirate' is a term coined up by those oafs in charge to demonize file-sharers. If there's no other option to get the game, be it price or region, you must mod. It doesn't contradict! With this move, Microsuck once again proves itself an idiot everytime it opens up its lying mouth."

You say that as though Microsoft wants to deliberately make gamers suffer.

Mysterious Voice: "Gee, I wonder why..."

10:47 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

in my country we pay $90us for 1 game

23:23 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I'm glad I don't live in your country. Tuff!

Comment by Chris
    09:15 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's funny, if you get console banned - the type of ban described in this article - Microsoft (under the ToS) doesn't have to give you ANY explanation as to why you were banned.

Your only recourse is to complain on their support forums, where extremely helpful moderators will reply to you with "All console bans are permanent" right before they lock the thread.

Someone on an IRC channel I lurk on posted a link of to the Xbox support forums while the crack down was going on. This was where you were shuttled to when you wanted more information about why you were console banned.

Microsoft can essentially ruin your Xbox and void it's warranty, and they don't have to give an explanation as to why they did it.

Comment by Epsilon
    07:39 09/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You know what you did so no question asked

09:33 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

red ring of doom, putting a virus in the manditory updates to frag save files that are shared online, and now the outright banning of modded xboxes. i see it as just another nail in the coffin for xbox. i can't wait until xbox is run into the ground. i sold mine a few months ago. now i just play my ps3 and very seldomly i play my wii. won't buy xbox ever again.

Comment by Tallgeese_VI
    09:55 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not like I'm supporting piracy but....I'm living in a 3rd world country & I'm leading a normal life of a student & a worker.

All I have is my PS2 (modded) & I play it for recreation only.

I was planning on buying the X360 Since the PS3 is expansive & the games are expansive too. The pirated X360 are sold widely around my country & most of the people's I've asked before are playing the modded ver.

We don't have the Xbox LIVE service in our country, moreover the X360 is gaining a good rep. here (we have some of those who bought the original ver. too) & when they're asked about the modded ver. they nod their head in agreement that since we don't have the LIVE service in our country (we can just play offline & no DLC's....correct me if I get this part wrong)

I'm not supporting piracy but seeing that Microsoft is banning them from going LIVE (not gonna affect us I think) and making their warranty void (the one which got me mad here) just seemed not to be a good way to put a stop to the people's who are buying & playing the moded X360.

Since the LIVE service is not available in my country , will the fans here be out of the ban ?

Comment by Hibakusha
    13:32 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If your console is moded it lost is warranty. And since your country doesn't supports LIVE, can't think any way this will affect you.

23:25 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Can you hear me now?

No, Because YOU ARE BANNED!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH

Sincerely,
    XBOX Representative.

13:34 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Let the person who has never pirated anything in their lives(music, movies, ect.) cast the first stone!!! Becuz I can guarantee that just about all the people saying "stealing is wrong!" have illegally downloaded music on their iPod or has watched/bought a pirated movie OR knows someone who does download music illegally or has pirated movies and I'm willing to bet your not going to turn them/yourself in. HYPOCRISY ANYONE?

Comment by Reimu Hakurei
    14:23 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

stupid... now how are we suppose too play regional games?

13:26 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I rotfl'd so hard wen I first read the arguments posted against modders!!! It's really hillarious! The way sum of u people on here talk u make it sound as if the game designers and workers at MS r gunna starve to death. Only 4 maybe 5 percent of xbox 360 owners are even actual modders! It's like a loss of 4 bucks out of every hundred they make. They're still gunna drive they're fancy cars and eat their delicious food and buy their nice houses w/ or w/out modders. The only reason MS is even doing this is in hopes of driving up profit of new consoles bought by those 4 percent. The fact that they only cancelled Xbox Live accounts shows they still want a profit. Personally my account wasn't shut down but that's becuz I'm no idiot to be playing games that haven't even been released yet online already. Those r inexperienced modders that got caught. As long as you play ur unreleased game offine until it gets released you'll be safe. And to all the idiots hating on modders get over it. Just becuz you prefer to waste your hard-earned money on riddicuously over-priced games doesn't mean I shud waste mine. I paid for my console and I'm damn well gunna do wat I want with it (eff the terms of service). Who really reads those anyway? As long as I'm not caught, and even if I get caught, im still gunna continue. I don't tell you how to play your xbox so who r u to tell me wat to do with mine? Get off ur high horse and stop acting like uv never stollen a thing in your life either cuz I'm willing to bet all the music on your iPod wasn't bought from the iTunes store. Or any of your CD's dont have a mix of downloaded music. MS are the ones who are stealing money with their riddicuously priced accessories, faulty manufacturing of products for their own profit, costly live account and games at 60 bucks a pop. You wanna accuse sumbody of stealing look to the greedy crooks at MS. No matter what they do or wat you say there r still gunna be people like me finding a way to keep doing wat we do. If you don't like it then tuff luck for u cuz while you pay hard earned cash on these over-priced products I'll be finding a way to do it for free or cheaper! Im manipulating the system for my profit and I'm sure that ticks you off but that's just the way it is and that's the way it's always gunna be.

13:05 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol at everyone whinging about games costing too much. doesn't give you the right to steal them you stupid fucks.

a 360/PS3 game costs like $120 US here, so i just import stuff.

Comment by Hibakusha
    13:29 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What about if we can't import them for X reason? Fuck the poor and handicaps right?

14:30 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

YES. Game consoles aren`t for poor people. Now shut the fuck up, and bend over so I can shove this 3-foot wireless motion-sensing dildo up your ass.

It has Bluetooth!

Comment by Hibakusha
    14:36 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That should be Microsoft's new slogan

23:20 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yep, SCREW YOU POOR FOLK! like we give a crap if you're hungry. lol

08:37 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I pirate PC games so I can try the real game before I buy it. Xbox, there's rental companies for this purpose.
    I justify PC piracy by the large amount of CRAP released, and it's the ONLY way to try before you buy on the full product, since you can never trust a demo. But if a game is good, and worth buying, you go buy it. because lets be honest, playing on those private L4D servers fucking sucks. And as someone said, economically, they make money on games, not console sales, so yeah, if you buy just to pirate, they don't, and SHOULDN'T give a rats ass about you. And for those of you complaining about your country's taxes, that falls under the guy who said "So I can't afford a car I should just go steal it". That's a bullshit justification. If you don't like your country's policies, MOVE, or, make a friend in country with lower taxes, and work through them, and have them send it to you as a "gift", you may still have to pay the tax, but the retail price was lower that way at least.

06:35 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why are you all trying to justify not paying for something you're supposed to? Do you all honestly think that it's okay to pirate games? That it's okay to play a game that you're supposed to pay for for free just because you can't afford it?

Well I should be able to steal a car because I can't afford it and shouldn't have to pay my entire four months worth of salary for one. Asshole Honda.

Comment by First Posting Idiot
    10:22 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll assume the country you were born in has low taxes and plenty of economic opportunity. Truth is, some countries don't. In most of the world, Hard work and intelligence don't get you the kind of money required to buy products like expensive video games. Should people in worse situations than you be forced to shell out tons of cash for overtaxed products? I think not.

However, if you have the finances required to fund your gaming hobbies, then pay! Don't complain to Microsoft or any other company about this if you're making a good income and can afford to pay rather than pirate.

(you can complain on the behalf of those less fortunate than you though)

10:52 29/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Let's be honest. It's still stealing even if you are in a less than fortunate situation. In stead of stealing games go steal food. If your country has taxes that are too high that isn't the developers fault. They shouldn't lose money because your country is ran by assholes.

07:53 17/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

DAFUQ do you live that you don't require years of salary to buy a car?

It's an obsessive problem for this generation.

06:02 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A lot of people downloaded bad MW2 rips; so Microsoft was able to ban a lot of people.
    Microsoft took advantage of this, and stated that "We've had enough of piracy, and now were going to ban you ALL."
    It's a scare tactic.
    Download good rips, and you'll be fine.

07:42 11/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

uhhh not true. I had legit ISO's and I got banned. I had full proof ways of checking the copies before ever playing them and they still found me.

08:02 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

People trying to justify pirating. Lol, at least have some fucking pride.

It is wrong to pirate, but that's not going to stop me from doing it. At least I'm not some fag trying to make it seem as through it is right.

I don't pirate 360 games, so I don't give a shit about this too much.

15:16 10/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You guys that are all for privacy are funny, are atleast know something along the lines of eletronics. You could probably , depends on your computers motherboard mod ur xbox for couple dollars. Thus saving you alot of money. I know i have tons of games. Its funny because Lot of you people are idiots n dont know shit about any kinda eletronic device. Keep paying for your games. Im sure if you knew how to mod your xbox n knew what to do with the games all of you suckers would of been burning games. But i may have been banned with the modded xbox but give it a matter of time n we all will be out to get you lame as mofo's. You really dont understand the door ms just opened for all of us elite. Just a matter of time....

08:20 15/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

drop the price of soft ware and you might not get so many pirate games if they were priced realistickley

13:55 16/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Only faggots mod their consoles.

17:12 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My friend's 360's disk drive is modified to play burned pirated games, he has been playing pirated borderlands online for a while now, even today, and he's still not banned. His 360 has been modified for the past year or so and he's been playing pirated versions of the most popular games for awhile.

I think this ban only affects certain types of modifications. Like the kind that allows you to play ISO's from an external HDD connected to the 360 by a modded 360 HDD.

05:05 09/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

theft and priracy is wrong, but i feel bad for the people who actually payed for live and ended up getting banned. also for the people who modded there xbox to play region locked games. stupid region block. bleh

Hey, some of these people should get together and file a lawsuit for this.

I also have to disagree that piracy is 'bad' or that it is even 'theft'. Theft is when you steal something that actually has some PHYSICAL VALUE... with pirates, they are just downloading and burning games that they wouldn't be able to afford in most cases anyway, so the whole argument that 'piracy takes dollars out of the hands of Microsoft and others!" falls flatter than a cat that's been run over by a steamroller.

Comment by Sukunai
    23:30 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't mind buying good games, likely would buy MORE games if the method of selling to me was intelligent (it isn't).

Piracy is partly a poetic justice sort of irony. The industry is so stuck on it's perceived rights, that it can't see that if it just changed it's method of delivery things might improve.

We haven't 'needed' brick and mortar retail for a few years now. Locations that function based on reselling used copies likely kill more sales than digital theft does. Every time a used game is sold, the creator gets sweet fuck all.

The thing is retail is essentially the only way most ever learn of the existence of games aside from online, and believe it or not online is not as visible as a lot of us like to think. Ever been to Matrix Games?
    it's probably the largest source of serious wargames.

MS simply hasn't needed to get clever though, because it has the muscle of it's OS domination. The same way Sony has the muscle factor of selling hardware outside of gaming.

I just can't fathom why so many are so devoted to a machine so reliably capable of breaking.

16:53 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

STOOPID CONSOLEFAGS to to pc

11:57 09/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

mmm, im saving up for a ps3 anyway. I'm sick of scratched disks and drama associated with my 360 when my buddy's ps3 performs immensely better and he treats it like crap. It don't give me bloodshot eyes in HD either lol, also there's the fact that there are more like swordfighting and rpgs on the ps3 anyway (*shock and awe* i neither like nor have any skill for fps game other than fallout 3) so it's a better buy, the free online is nice too

Comment by L
    18:06 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Thats why PS3 rock and GAYBOX suck.Cuz it is pirated.

05:12 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Often they do go too far in the anti piracy moves.
    They can probably get away with banning but purposefully bricking a console due to a mod chip would be outright illegal in the US as it violate the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act]

If they do this then all I can say is enjoy your lawsuits mircosoft.
    It also would destroy the credibility of their product esp after the tech sites and media get to trolling it.

10:55 29/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It doesn't apply in this case as you agreed to the ToS/EULA. Which is a legally binding contract and so overrides the situation. If you want to Mod your xbox don't go online it's real simple.

15:35 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Piracy doesn't need to be stopped. Piracy is the god damn EQUALIZER that the little man has against the companies that try to nickel and fucking dime everyone.

Shit like RE5 Versus Mode DLC... Why are we paying $5 for SHIT ALREADY ON THE FUCKING DISC?

Dragon Age 'day one' DLC. Yes, yes, WHY IS IT NOT ON THE FUCKING DISC?...

Piracy doesn't need to die, piracy is the last bastion of freedom we have against greedy capitalist corporations that think it's morally ok to nickel and dime ppl now as opposed to making COMPLETE PRODUCTS for release. Companies that think it's ok to RUSH HALF BAKED GAMES OUT THE DOOR and just patch them later, or finish them later with 'DLC' and make you pay extra...

Piracy gives us 'option 3'. No we won't buy your half finished shit, but it looked good so we'll try it... But no we won't pay you out of principle... OPTION 3, WE'LL FUCKING STEAL IT :D

No, piracy is not legal. But don't ever fucking try to say it is WRONG. It is simply ILLEGAL, doesn't make it wrong. In my eyes, the current nickel and diming bullshit with DLC is far far worse of a crime than piracy EVER will be.

+1 for freedom to take a damn stand.

19:09 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Are you an idiot? Piracy is wrong because anything "illegal" IS WRONG dumbass. Piracy does need to die. You speak of greedy companies and state that they milk us for our money. Well I'll tell you this now. THEY HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO. THEY MADE THE PRODUCT. If I had a company I would do the exact same thing.

Simply go by the saying "Treat others the way you would like to be treated".

By saying piracy is right your basically saying that stealing is right and if stealing is right then how about I just steal everything you own? How would you fucking feel dickwad?

23:08 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

*SIGH*

His point is- like the oldfag remembering a 2600, is there was a time when game developers produced a product that gamers could be assured was a QUALITY product. (Quality assurance =/= 'good') That it was a COMPLETE work, and noone purchasing it was excluded from the experience for not paying more, and that the product WORKED. 100%.

.. All of which are now false.

Consumers are not treated as valued and loyal partners in the game market, they are simply resources to be exploited.

00:54 07/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Consumers don't really get anything other than what they pay for. Its not their job to treat you and value you highly. The only thing they care about is selling the product. Its your choice on whether you buy it or not. Just because people can't afford things doesn't mean stealing is ok.

23:18 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You are a FOOL, and I ain't going to listen to some FOOL WHO THINKS PIRACY IS "OKAY".

15:39 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Aight, time to buy a PS3 if i have to buy legal games anyway.

17:41 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Data is and should be free. This is a modern international problem where 'censorship' is given a thumbs up because of Information Distribution.
    I pirate games for PC because I have an addiction, srsly. I need to get my fix of new games ASAP. BUUUUUUT when I play these games I do it critically, because they are like books for me.

I've bought 100% of my library of pc games AFTER playing the pirated version, in order to support the development team who did something good. Latest addition being Batman Arkahm Asylum.

I finished the whole thing till 100%, pirated. I usually eat the game up in a day.
    I was utterly satisfied and said to myself that THAT is a game development team who needs the money. They wrote a 'book' I love and will be playing every now and then for the rest of my gaming life. I then paid about 60 bucks for adding it to my Steam game library. And there it will be, with much money going towards the team rather than to the distributors and middle men (while not entirely cut from the deal, there's less comission).

I would have never bought it if I hadn't seen it was worth the cash. Sure, I had access to the demo (and played it) but demos are made in order to impress in short time spans, and often times I find that they are better than the game itself. It's an inversion, I need to know what I'm supporting.

Also, I hate people who don't understand who are the ones pirating.

There are guys who do it, like me, to broaden one's knowledge, sometimes more like myself who work or study amidst the entertainment industry, and some do it for the shear possibility to do so, mostly because there is lack of access to the data as intended by the original distributors.

Imagine you wanted to get your hands on, for example, Richard Dawkin's "God Delusion". Everywhere you turn you read it's an exeptional book. Yet you live in a country whose backassed politics censor the work or lack proper distribution highways with the few who do charging up till 90% more of a 30 USD hardcover book.

You want it, you get it if the access to it is there. Royalties are not damaged by you, you are not a lost sale as people have been draged to belive.

You are, in fact, a probable additional end user, eventually going to many extremes to get your hands on the product you consider great. Sometimes soon, sometimes later.

But in the end no one is actually losing anything. If the market worked as people in business suits who have never developed information intended, you'd all have bought that horrible game about the Cat CEO, because if you don't you are "lost sales".

00:13 07/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sort of dangerous, to bann japanese players, with them already beeing few in numbers. Well, thats how it feels, I don't know any real numbers.

05:58 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ITT Pirates trying to justify piracy.

I couldnt care less about pirates, its when they try and justify why they do that gets me annoyed.

Just shut up and play your free games, and I'll shut up and play mine that I paid for.

Comment by Miroku74
    08:29 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The sympathy for the pirates gets me irate. But I don't give a shit 'cuz I don't play either PSNetwork or CrackBox 360 Live anyway (not having either PS2 or XBOX could account for that...).

I feel more sympathy for the customers who will get boned over buying second hand shit someone else modded/pirated. Of course 'Caveat Emptor' holds true for them also. So my sympathies, while notable, will still be on the order of headshaking and going 'I told you so!'. ^_-

23:39 05/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The People who got banned deserve it, there are ways to ensure you won't get detected by MS.