Kadokawa Proven Right: Otaku Idiots After All

gloating-haruhi-suzumiya-by-noizi-ito

The second DVD release of the much reviled Endless Eight arc of Haruhi was widely expected to be a complete failure, but the disc actually managed 12,708 copies on its release, hardly down from the first DVD.

It seems Kadokawa was right in its calculations about the Haruhi fanbase – they really will buy four DVDs of all but identical content, apparently out of sheer obsession, even as the cast, production staff and less thoroughly brainwashed fans angrily decried their actions.

They were all wrong – it worked.

Quite possibly all four DVDs will go on to sell over 10,000 each, more than most series ever manage – certainly their average sales will be over 10,000.

It is easy to see why many are now saying that the “moe boom” has been hugely damaging to the anime industry, promoting excessive emphasis on just the kind of titles and marketing which will never earn anything but ridicule from the wider potential audiences shows such as Haruhi now all but eschew, and debasing an art form into a nakedly formulaic exercise in moe marketing…

08:43 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Since when is Haruhi a moe series? It has a plot and the only "moe" character (Mikuru) is a parody of the cliche (which has been around long before it had a name). On another note, 10,000 people is not very many.

15:33 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, moe+fanservice, but just saying moe is shorter and gets the point across. As for plot->LULZENDLESSPLOT

Well, the novel did have a plot though, Kyoani just thought they should kill it off.

04:25 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Moe Boom....is Haruhi even moe at all?

Comment by Twilight-Rebirth
    14:53 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I thought the exact same thing. Because in my opinion the only character in it to warrant being called "moe" would be Mikuru, and even then there is not much to offer.

18:53 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know, but I will label Yuki Nagato as Moe. She's adorable whenever she's trying to express herself despite being unable to drop that straight face of hers, and she's the most useful character in the series.

04:05 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"It is easy to see why many are now saying that the “moe boom” has been hugely damaging to the anime industry, promoting excessive emphasis on just the kind of titles and marketing which will never earn anything but ridicule from the wider potential audiences shows such as Haruhi now all but eschew, and debasing an art form into a nakedly formulaic exercise in moe marketing…"

It's hilarious that you're so damn quick to smack this label on Haruhi, but there's nary a sign of blame for everyone's precious little baby, K-ON.

I'm not even saying that there's that much of a difference between the two series, but for fuck's sake, give blame where blame is also due.

Of course, I fully expect the oncoming torrent of people decrying my statements, saying that "K-ON can do no wrong!" without providing any reasonable proof as to why that is - sales figures, as we can clearly see here, cannot be taken into account - but hey, whatever lets you sleep or jerk off to your haremettes at night, right?

05:10 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't remember K-ON turning one 1 episode into an 8 episode repeat crap.

In other words, Fail Detected.

08:12 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Way to miss my point entirely, idiot.

Moe Boom. Not repetition boom. MOE BOOM. I could give less a shit that Haruhi repeated an episode eight times, but it's clearly being labelled here as a moe series.

But every single time I go anywhere, oh, guess what? It's only heaping praises for K-ON. Crap about how Mio is the new goddess of everything ever, or how people want to stick their dick in every orifice Azuza has. In other words, the exact same shit that Haruhi got massive flak for.

And before you go "Oh man, butthurt Haruhi fanboy over here, look out!" I don't think that the comments worked any better for that series than it did for K-ON. I watched both series, I enjoyed both series. But the fanbases make me want to vomit.

But hey, people do this sort of shit these days, and they only have themselves to blame. Don Quixote has to have his Dulcinea, and then comes the inevitable violent reaction to every single negative word raised, even if the negativity is justified. Thing is, these people will probably never wake up and realize they are fighting windmills instead of giants, and that's pretty fucking sad.

15:30 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, Haruhi got "massive flak" cause of all the "goddess/epicness/wootquality/wootthinking anime" while it was just "moe". Haruhi now gets bashed for being a retarded repetition based on moe, with the emphasis being first on retarded repetition and then on moe, but I suppose moe haters can't see past their noses when moe is involved.

K-ON on the other hand was just moe and didn't try to hide it. It didn't repeat itself 8 times either though.

TL;DR Failed again, try harder.

Comment by Rethardus
    03:50 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's true. These fanboys are idiots. Although I love Haruhi myself (just admit that the first season was quite okay), I got really disappointed when they aired the second season.

Even though the sales were good, I have no doubt that it'll sell better when they made a GOOD season.

But it's true that this method is the most rewarding on short terms.

03:02 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm surprised no one made an endless eight joke endless eight joke endless eight joke endless eight joke endless eight joke endless eight joke endless eight joke endless eight joke

03:00 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

How is Haruhi marketing moe at all?

It has far more focus on the male characters than the female ones, especially in E8...

Comment by Unellmay
    03:30 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wait for the boxset

04:14 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Otaku Idiots After All"

Always was and always will be.

05:09 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

OMFG YOU ANIMALS! YOU ACTUALLY WENT AND DID IT! YOU DESTROYED THE WORLD!!!! well... it's a sad day for otakus and our fallen zombified brethren. Thats right, if you know someone who bought these DVDs then it's only a matter of time before they show physical signs of changing. Do the right thing for humanity and remember to always "double tap" to make sure they're down.

04:34 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If you buy one, you got to buy them all. Even if it is complete marketing bull.
    Such is the unfortunate fate of otaku collectors.

05:13 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not really. I'm a figure collector but I don't feel inclined to buy every damn figure that could fit with each other. I only buy what I like.

Brainless collectors who don't know how to spend their money

1)buy the whole E8
    2)eventually have no more money to spend, after having bought all sorts of utter crap.

Comment by Remilia
    02:49 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Everyone needs there Mikuru fix of course.

01:34 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The next sequel shall thus be called "The profitability of suzumiya haruhi"

01:36 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Long live the goddess!

Comment by MusicalNote
    01:37 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This makes me sad... No more plot for us, just lots of Haruhi-on! and Mugikuru...

00:46 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And KyoAni profits once again...

Seriously, they will continue to do this until people actually make them pay. And the only way to make them pay is for them to have a financial flop. When what is essentially rehash outsells most of what has been made this year, this is an indictment on the industry and on those buying anime. And that's coming from someone who somewhat likes Haruhi.

Until people collectively say 'enough is enough' via the one way that will hurt KyoAni - money - they will continue to give people what they deserve and continue this charade.

Comment by Riiku
    00:57 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, now I finally see what they did there. It was all an experiment, to see how much of an idiots otakus are. And the experiment was a SUCCESS.

I see! I see now!! Everything makes perfect sense!!

Comment by Overt
    01:04 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So true Artefact, so true...

01:49 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I believe Haruhi has much more potential, but I think it's been flawed from the start with its setup. I'm not even taking Endless Eight into account in that first sentence, of which my mind is still festering over >.< ...

Comment by eyelezz
    02:30 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Cant find words to describe it ...

Comment by Myballz
    02:21 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I knew there marketing scam work well enough to make Nerds buy this crap.

Comment by Y10NRDY
    02:32 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

is there anyone out there that, like me, was a big fan of the original series and although it's a rip off would buy the second season just for collector's purposes? i mean, aren't all otaku collectors? is it that big a deal or do we have a little mob mentality happening here? after all, flavor-of-the-month otaku will never be pleased and once the trend machine leaves whatever property they currently enthuse over we'll be treated to post after post of inane vitriol about those series as well.

04:29 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"i mean, aren't all otaku collectors?"

No. I only buy things that are actually good. The original Haruhi was good; Endless Eight was awful, and the rest of the second season was pretty mediocre. I have better things to spend my money on.

06:45 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I loved the first season. It was great. I'd buy the DVD if I could find it. Second season however...utter bullshit. Buying something for "collectors purposes" means you've been brainwashed by bullshit. And there's a difference between being a collector and being obsessive. One of them involves buying multiples of the same god damn thing and, no, I'm not talking about Endless Eight. I mean who the hell actually buys multiples of the exact same god damn thing?

Comment by tB
    02:40 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Idiots. All of us.

02:48 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm glad they sold well. I want more Haruhi, and this will only make it more likely.

Though I think the tone between this article and the last DVD are kind of funny. "OMG IT ONLY SOLD ~10,000 THAT'S SO LOW" to "OMG IT SOLD ~10,000 THAT'S SO HIGH".

02:09 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

/headdesk *repeat*

01:49 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh lord...
    I'm just speechless. Why the FUCK would you even
    Just...

L:LDSJLAJSDL. DFfklklks;d
    I think I'm going to just go into a cave and become one of those pre-human-dinosaur-hybrid things from Zetsubou FIGHT!.

01:50 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The only idiots I see here are bunch of morons
    making a fuss over some stupid numbers that
    means nothing .

03:38 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fail for doubleposting 01:30.

Numbers mean something for the company, although what it means is up to debate but many people seem to agree on the following.

1)lulz
    2)fail
    3)both of the above
    4)Darwin award is in order

02:04 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

God I'm so tired of all this girl pantsu moe and whatever crap.

Wheres mah Berserk OVA?!!1

02:06 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well the show is good, despite that silly endless eight thing

05:29 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Complain about shit anime/marketing all you want, but if it weren't for idiot otakus as show above, these companies wouldn't have the money to make the "good" anime some of you guys crave so much.

Comment by Hachiko
    20:21 27/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ironic, isn't it?

Comment by Hakurei
    16:07 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol those idiot otakus will buy anything. MUAHAHAHAHA

19:15 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Paint the face of Haruhi on a broken piece of furniture and you can be sure that the Otaku will buy it, despite it taking alot of space and is unusable.

17:21 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I stopped watching Haruhi after the first series. It just didn't go down well with me the whole story. Felt rather well, strained.

Comment by Densha Otoko
    18:20 04/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

stop feeding this gold mine plz !!!!!

16:49 05/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe those who didn't like it were a vocal minority after all. Good news, I'm not convinced it worked myself, but it was a brave experiment, and doesn't deserve to lose large amounts of income.

Comment by Bronxdragon
    02:33 19/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I told you people the Asahina's boobs are brainwashing people and it doesn't help with the combo attack from Nagato and Haruhi!

16:53 02/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree completly. Most of Haruhi fans I've ever seen are stupid enough to this.

Comment by Hachiko
    20:24 27/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's akin to the mainstream crap you hear on your ClearChannel radio station, but if it works, it works.

04:56 08/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought Endless Eight was delicious and would buy it over and over again.