7% of Japanese Have No Friends

ritsu-emerges-from-screen

There is some surprise at the results of a survey which suggest as many as 6.7% of Japanese questioned have no friends at all…

The survey, with over 13,000 participants, found 6.7% of respondents had no friends at all, whilst 22.2% had 3-4, 20.6% had 5-6, and 23.8% had over 11.

Friends were mostly made at high school (55.4%) and at work (52.4%), as well as at university (38.1%) and middle and elementary school (34.1%/24.3%), with hobby related connections trailing at 25.1%. 8% came from online acquaintances.

Curiously, 17.1% of respondents stated they found such relationships “troublesome”…

Similar figures for other countries are not hard to come by – 2003 Gallup polls of Americans asked “Not counting your relatives, about how many close friends would you say you have?” yielded an average of 8.6 friends:

0 – 2%

1 – 6%

2 – 8%

3 – 11%

4 – 11%

5 – 17%

6-9 – 18%

10+ – 27%

Whether a “close friend” equates to a “tomodachi” in Japanese culture is open to question (as is whether Japanese actually agree on what a “friend” is), but it certainly seems the social circles of some Japanese are shrinking… Just how many of these are actual hikikomori and otaku is not known.

23:58 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh come on, it's only 7%. I bet it's no different from any other countries.

00:38 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You're lying to yourself.

23:55 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yaay.. im not alone in the world with no friends! bet im one of the 0.3% without friends or so in my country

23:47 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Iam too now i feel so tired to socialize

00:46 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, 23.8 have over 11, so yea.

02:23 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

over 11 via mmorpg, so what is it? korean mmo or weatern moo? perhap facebook. also i wouldnt describe a 'friends' that you only see when theres a party call but almost impossible to see them out of it.

02:21 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If you really do have a friends, you wont need to think how many you have. because when you think of the words friends their faces are the one that first comes to mind. atleast this is the case for me and i only 2 faces come to my mind, sadly i already parted with them. but the good times we had is worth remembering.

19:52 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm so gonna leaving cakes in front of my computer

20:38 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmmm... Japanese need to get in tune with reality though the fiction world is cool. I have nearly 450 friends in which at least 100 were constant in contact. I meet and talk to not less than 20 ppl in a day on average. Now... this makes me wonder about the survey...

Comment by Sylar
    21:39 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Another teenager that thinks the people in facebook are real friends.

21:01 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyone who brags about having A LOT of friends, not about having GOOD friends, is a faggot.

00:39 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>"I am a virgin with little friends and must invest in a drawn women."

01:16 14/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

im a virgin and i have no friends here in japan i hate you :/

21:03 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No one has any actual friends. Friendship is a fairy tale, and Walt Disney is dead.

Comment by Sylar
    02:33 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought he was just frozen.

04:15 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Probably is the reason why there is a relatively high suicide rate in Japan...

09:52 03/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Making friends from scratch is too much hassle. And with age people tend to be more insincere and keep distance themselves.

08:07 03/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have no friends, I don't really want them. They're more trouble than they're worth. Although I haven't left the house in like 4 years either.

08:46 06/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

All people who dont have friends;
    Come with me. We will have a bright future.
    I accept everyone,who can look at my eyes!
    Have a pure heart, trust yourself!
    You are great! You CAN find friends!

Big BW

07:35 05/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I gave up having friends. Apparently people only hung out with me because I was good at hustling. :l I didn't mind teaching them but they rather mooch off of me. D:<

04:02 02/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sad story is sad.
    No wonder Japan is trying so hard to make android waifu's.

15:21 02/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh yes, the Japanese need Friend (with capital "F").
    Friend will save you!

Comment by TheJapanChannel.com
    02:15 05/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not surprising considering the nature of the society.
    Work and family responsibilities come first..
    People are not totally honest with each other..
    Emotions are hidden..

As a westerner I have 3-4 friends in my life who are REAL friends.. the rest are friends for now but would drift away as circumstances change.

23:41 13/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

'
    People are not totally honest with each other..'

Yeah, as opposed to the rest of planet Earth, where lying and hypocrisy are unknown and everyone is totally honest.

Comment by Dia
    21:51 11/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I got one friend and that's more than enough. The question is, would I feel this way without the Internet?

23:40 11/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

having many friend is good, but too comfortable with having many friend is not good.
    from what I know you can have lots of friend while you teenage. then it decreased when you gets adult.
    some have to move far away from their community,
    it will test your mentality with zero friend in new environment.

05:32 05/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Just came from a post that listed side by side "7% of Japanese Men reject onanism" and "7% of Japanese have no friends"

Comment by Sukunai
    03:54 13/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

7%!!!!

OMG what a horrible tragedy.... not.

Wouldn't be surprised if 7% of Canadians have no friends.

I don't know anyone that has no friends mind you as all the people I know are not tragic hermits.

If asked how many people I know I can call friend (in the acquaintance sense of the word though as I use the term 'friend' to denote a person that earned the term), well it could take me a long time to list them all. And that's just the people I know locally in person.

It would take me all day if I had to add the internet connections too.

No I am not 'great' or anything like that, I'm just not a hermit.

07:44 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

if people wouldn't be thinking only about themselves, real friendship would exist.
    But that's not the case...
    That being said I have no "true" friends.

Comment by ドラゴン
    08:17 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't like how loosely the word "friend" is thrown around. A friend isn't a classmate/co-worker/random person you see often.

07:19 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have 3 best friends but two of them went to study a bit far so i can only communicate with them online or meet sometimes at weekends, well at least my best friend lives 100 meters away from me.but it still sucks, cos at my college in my group there r no my alter ego ppl(dotn know if its the right word), anw sometimes it rly sucks to be alone and play x360 or watch anime and stuff all day long.

04:59 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They should gather the 7% and get them to talk to each other. NOW EVERYBODYS HAPPY!

08:25 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The article picture reminds me of that motivational poster that says "Real women are easily replacable"

Comment by Y0k41
    10:12 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmmm, well even people with "no" friends still have family, my sister is like the closest person to me, and then I have like 1 or 2 other true friends.

02:28 31/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

X% of Japanese Need No Friends.

22:37 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

why would they need friends anyway when they have soo many anime characters, dakimura, doujinshi, ero games, lolis etc

13:30 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Breaking news, new studies have shown that at least 7% of Japanese have enever been on the internet.

10:45 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

only 7%, which is a good thing. Rather than 70% O_o

Comment by Stiyl-Magnus19
    11:01 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You dont need friends if you have anime XD

11:26 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well at least I have something in common with 7% of Japan :)

Comment by Huey
    13:57 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lonely, I'm Mr. Lonely,
    I have nobody for my own.
    I'm so lonely, I'm Mr. Lonely,
    wish I had someone to call on the phone.

Comment by Exa
    18:13 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Roneryyy, I am so roneryyy... ^^

14:01 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A friend will help you move.

A really good friend will help you move a body.

15:02 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Mafia is your best friend?

14:05 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But....it says to the right of the article in an add that I have a friend in japan. So if i got those 7% of people to read that, would they also have a friend?

Comment by Myballz
    13:36 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow they might as well not trust the AV Industry.

Comment by Takatsuna
    13:42 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But they have so many wives.

13:45 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually have two actual friends whom I talk two but out of those two one I actually hang out with. Thing is I don't talk much or like invite them out to chill or anything I'm always waiting for them. So yeah I am pretty lonely.

Comment by Endersgame
    14:40 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hm we seem to have a lot in common. We should be "friends" lol. No really I only have 2 friends too and I only hang out with one of them and I too always wait for them to want to do something with me. Well it is lonely but I don't want to interrupt their lives just so I can feel like someone likes me.

15:24 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol My god you really are like me the reason why I don't call them is cuz I don't want to be rejected. Hell even then I don't want to annoy them or anything but even then if we do go out just seems so boring sometimes.

18:03 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hah, same here. I've still got a handful of close friends from HS, but none here in college. I joked with them about how troublesome it is to try and chill (outside of class) with people, it'd essentially be like "asking a guy out" (erm, me being a guy).

I'm not exactly lonely, having plenty fun here as it is (Internet, HS friends, games), though I guess it'd be even better with friends nearby.