Sankaku Complex Comment Rating

beako-shimapan-panchira

A significant addition to Sankaku Complex’s commenting system has been made in the form of a full comment rating system; you can read a complete explanation below.

The system should be intuitive enough; clicking the plus button on a comment will vote up the comment, and clicking the minus icon will vote it down.

You need to be logged in to vote on comments – you can create an account here.

Unsurprisingly, each user may vote only once on a given comment, but you are free to vote on as many comments as you like.

Comments scores are displayed as a number from -1 (appalling) to 1 (great). Comments have to have a certain number of votes to have their score come into effect. Scores are not immediately updated on voting.

A “karma” system is a probable future addition, but at current all comments start at 0; anonymous comments have a slight malus to reflect the fact that anonymous users have an higher propensity to make abusive comments – otherwise they are treated identically.

Good comments are highlighted, bad comments are faded, and utter drivel is collapsed completely so as not to poison your eyes.

The options at the top of the comments section allow you to set a viewing threshold for comments – you can have only the worst comments collapsed (the default), or you can hide bad comments as well, show all comments irrespective of rating, or even display only top rated comments.

In all these cases, you can freely expand or collapse any comment by clicking the small ‘+’ in the upper right corner of the comment. You can still reply to comments irrespective of ratings.

Comments which are exceptionally abusive (chiefly spam or other extreme cases) can be reported with the “!” link, which will bring them to the attention of a moderator.

The natural tendency of many users when presented with such a system is to mercilessly vote down any opinions they disagree with, or any users they dislike.

Whilst this is an inevitable component of any voting system, it is hoped that most users will recognise the real power of such a system is in encouraging users to make insightful, informative or witty comments, with votes based on the merits of the comment and cast irrespective of who is making the comment or whether the sentiment they express is objectionable to the reader.

Should you have any additional comments or feedback, please do not hesitate to leave them below.

19:33 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Someone else shared my sentiments, about the Admin having hope and faith for humanity. I can't be as optimistic as that, but this sort of thing has potential, I already enjoyed not reading the really bad posts, that's smart as hell. I Don't always post the most attractive comments, but being able to read smart comments and skip the trash is A+.

Comment by Max51
    17:19 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is pretty good, thanks aretfact

18:20 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sweet! Sage and age. Can we post images next?

Comment by Shuu
    07:21 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As a registered user, you already can. Just write your comment like usual, then go to the forums, edit your comment and put in all the img tags you want.

11:42 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Umm, sage and age do NOT work the way you seem to think.

18:17 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Карма в моих Санкаках! НЕТ ПУТИ!

08:45 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Санкаку уже торт:3

09:02 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Санкаку - ни разу НЕ торт, мудило.

21:35 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Остерегайтесь карма ловушку!

18:07 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn. Here too? TSK. I hate this voting system. I want to read EVERY comment beeing good, bad, stupid or whatever. Much of the most stupid comments are the most funny ones. And I get here to be entertained, there's nothing in the web that annoys me much as a hidden comment. All I ask is the possibility of reading every single comment, that's all. Don't take me that please.

18:41 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ok, I read some of the comments. You got the option to show every comments ^_^u That wasn't too clear in the main article, sorry.

Anyway, every forum and board that I'd visited, were this voting system was implemented failed miserably, and lead them to a slowly death. But I check Sankaku more for the "news" than the comments, so this would not make too much damage IMO. Same with Youtube were the videos are the main subject. For a comment based site, this voting system is a killer. That's all I got to say, thanks.

Comment by Artefact

You failed miserably in even reading the article so how seriously do you think anyone takes your opinion on the subject?

Comment by Artefact

You can rate it, but the score is not taken into account.

We made the system, we made the rules. The rules are that contributors are immune to voting.

This is not a democratic government, it is a comment rating system designed to surface and encourage good comments, and sink bad ones. The same logic you are applying would suggest we are acting unfairly by not allowing users to decide what goes on the front page, or by deciding to remove certain kinds of comment as unacceptable.

01:41 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, Artifact I cant hold it anymore. Why the fuck can no one rate your comment??? Are you a freakin god or something??
    When you make a system but arent willing to accept the systems rules, ITS A FAIL!!!!!

21:12 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like the sysem, like on YT, easy to distuingish idiots just by look at ratings.
    I guess registran time will soon come :(

Comment by H.exe
    21:21 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like this... but i'd curious to see what if Nico-type comments scoll through the webpage xD

Comment by Fhoenix
    21:24 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Can we please have an option of seeing all comments the way they used to be without highlighting and fading? I find it hard to read the discussion as a whole when unpopular comments are faded and the smartass replies to these comments get voted up. The whole thing looks like a big mess.

19:55 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

combo breaker!!!!!

20:23 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

COMBObobo-bo Bo-bo-bo Breakerrrrr!!!! We've reached Manly Tear Capacity!!!!

Comment by Onanimous
    20:47 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A login button that shows if we're logged-in or not somewhere on the main page would help too.

Comment by Kinny Riddle
    17:14 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, already the comment section is less cluttered than before by hiding out the "bad posts".

In the past, I got put off commenting on some very interesting topics because any meaningful discussion was easily drowned out by people flaming for the sake of flaming, especially when it came to contentious issues.

And then of course there's the nonsensical race for "first post", and the subsequent flaming war it generates. Now these can be collapsed as well, requiring less time to scroll downwards before I get to something meaningful.

16:25 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice addition :3. Although i'm kinda worried that lots of trolls and boredfags are going to randomly -vote any comments just to mess things up.

Well, at least now we can easily tell trolling anons that they're not welcome here with just a click of button. Plus it's cool to see more colourful avatars now instead of monochrome triangles.

Comment by Ciscotaku
    16:45 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well, it'll be hard to get rid of anons really though, they can keep registering new accounts and troll... bastards...

Comment by Artefact
    19:40 26/10/2009 # ! Impenetrable

You can't ever do anything about people with that amount of time on their hands.

20:25 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The fact that you can see a lot of troll accounts in youtube (ad spammers aside) pretty much prove that would happen, unless Sancon enforce a 1 account per IP/PC rule..

22:34 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

1 account per IP/PC rule don't work, at least here. My country has dynamic IP for almost all residential internet users. A ip restriction wold be easy do bypass.

Comment by Kazu_Akuma
    16:27 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

SanCon really is growing as a site. I remember following this site since it's inception and lurking like some timid beast. But now I feel proud to be a member, I refer my friends to this site all the time. Good Job Artefact!

Comment by Dreck
    15:57 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

HAH @ Artefact

"inadvisable"

made me lol XD

Comment by Taiga-sama
    16:04 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

interesting addition ! love to see how this would change SC in the future

Comment by YuriG
    16:03 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If it's to downvote stupid anon comments that can't contribute other than shitty overused memes, I love this system.

Comment by Anondesu
    16:57 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

While Anonymous might be prone to mindless drivel and outright trolling, registered users of any given website tend towards an unwarranted sense of self-importance in equal meter. Pot, meet kettle.

The comment rating system is a nice change to this website and is one that has been a long time coming. I still would prefer it if the attitude of the community here at SC weren't so vitriolic towards anonymous contributors, as in my experience anyone attempting to stipulate the differences in quality between registered users and anonymous users suffers from a severe case of confirmation bias. Idiots can be found in all colors of the rainbow and making any kind of broad generalizations about these two groups of individuals is a bit like watching an American political debate over social issues that people just can't seem to ignore (abortion, health care, etc).

Of course, the main reason why anonymity is so important is the fact that in such an environment, issues that people normally don't discuss in polite company come to the fore and those who would normally avoid such are forced to confront and acknowledge them. In any other situation, I would not be allowed to talk about loli openly. Only on the internet am I able to engage people in debate over this topic with impunity. Like the ending of the movie Spartacus, being nondescript has its advantages and can save you from unjust persecution.

17:48 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Needless to say, the day that SC forces you to list your information in your profile is the last day I browse it."

Hear, hear.

Comment by KonataFB
    16:53 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i would of registed ages ago if it hasnl;t for my lazyness, great site and nice feature

Comment by _KuRo_
    16:50 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

amma said:
    I got the first comment...lol

lol to that

17:07 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This gives me a good reason to rate higher in abusive comments against articles of feminism and religion.

Comment by Sindrome
    16:41 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ooo... nice shiny new system, too bad my browser keeps deciding to arbitrarily block me out and i can never remember my user name/password ¬.¬"

Comment by Ciscotaku
    16:43 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A very good way to get people to to register. hehe worked for me ^^

Comment by Zashiki Warashi
    09:25 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ohh Artefact you are truly our savior from these cancerous anons, I Love you <3
    It's really amusing and also I always loathed such lame memes like "over 9000", which will hopefully vanish now.

But what's with the strange ratings of your posts? - brilliant! (^っ^)b

11:38 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not so sure that is a good idea. What's to stop e.g. MikeUSA, or indeed Anonymous, from using >9000 proxies and a few comrades, and voting himself into high heaven? Seems to invite the kind of up/downvoting cliques so prevalent on YouTube these days.

07:03 28/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Mind you, the fact that Anon cannot vote without creating an account first, and then only once, is a good barrier for now. I just fear it won't be enough if/when the site becomes even more popular.

It reminds me of a scene I read in Max Brooks' book "World War Z", where there was an extremely secure house filled with tons of weapons and security personnel, whose owner had essentially invited all his rich Hollywood buddies to hide out from the Zombies together and essentially party (using vast stocks of champagne and frozen party food) through the entire pandemic. They'd even set up cameras with live internet feeds throughout the house as a publicity stunt.

At first, the shambling hordes of undead could not get in, because of the extremely high walls and gates surrounding the property (zombies can't climb), and the party guests wasted a lot of ammo shooting them like clay pigeons from the gardens. But then more and more zombies arrived, attracted by the noise, AND a lot of human refugees seeking shelter ... who eventually broke down the front gate using an SUV. Then the power lines were cut, disabling the hidden automated turrets. You can imagine the massive carnage that follows.

10:38 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Every heard of what happened to SlashDot and this type of comment system...

Comment by Artefact

I read Slashdot for ten years, and only for the comments, and the highest rated ones at that. If you think I have any sympathy for users who can no longer get away with posting the equivalent of a goatse.cx link, you are very mistaken.

Comment by Stiyl-Magnus19
    10:22 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This system rules!!!

Comment by Y0k41
    07:53 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Huh, I guess this isn't that bad, though I personally liked to read all the hilarious anon comments. Yea, this could actually be pretty good....though truthfully I'd prefer it like it used to be.

22:50 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like commenting anonymously

Comment by kajunbowser
    05:22 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Now if [In]Equality Now tries their dirty schemes again, their horrid cut+paste tactics will be easy to trace. Also, trolls will be averted. Great job, Artefact!

Comment by man1
    17:43 01/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Netizens from various walks of life can't be stop from visiting SanCom. It's their rights anyway, but whether they are quality visitors or plain trolls, that's another matter which touches on self-moderation. Sure, there'll be memes such as "IT'S OVER 9000", "Obvious troll is obvious" and "NICE BOAT", non-Japanese (read: Western) references, religious crusaders' and moralfags' debates, hetero- and homosexuals' plights, etc. But it is the congregation of these people from such vast extremes onto SanCom that makes this site special. As a matter of fact, I've learned a great deal from the comments here.

At first glance, the comment section seemed unnecessarily messier, but something's gotta be done about the quality of comments and the surge of annoying, unworthy ones. Kudos to Artefact-san for taking the initiative.

One thing I notice which was previously pointed out is that some comments which make great sense if you put your mind around it, get voted down simply because they are disagreed by the greater majority. For example, PS3 vs. Xbox360, BOIN vs. pettanko, and moe-blobs vs. drama-cons. I pity them, actually. After all, it is one of the shortcomings of democracy. The "Show all" option solves that, for now. I'll stick to this until the best solution is implemented.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it!

BTW, dozo yoroshiku, former faceless Anons!

Comment by Canadane
    Comment by Ukonkivi
    13:28 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"an higher"

an hero.

Comment by hALOTOO
    16:09 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope this doesn't discourage some anon who write tasteful and witty comment.You got my vote if you make me laugh, otherwise I'm not touching the rating button

01:01 30/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If I could rate your comment up, I really would. Could you extend the same courtesy to me even without me having to resort to knock-knock jokes?