Top 10 Ways to Spot an Otaku

quality-otaku-fashion

A survey of Japanese reveals just how easy it is thought to be to spot a (male) otaku from how he dresses…

The ranking:

1. He has an anime T-shirt

2. He has an anime shopping bag

3. He has a waist pouch (“fanny pack” / “bum bag”)

4. He wears a bandanna (hachimaki)

5. His bag is covered in anime badges

6. His hair is excessively long

7. He wears his rucksack over both shoulders

8. He has big, thick glasses

9. He tucks his shirt/T-shirt into his trousers

10. He wears chemical wash jeans

See examples in the otaku terror ranking.

MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA

10:00 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Japan is behind on fashion, in southern California everyone wears their backpacks on both shoulders with the straps pulled all the way up.

09:12 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So i'm not an otaku...

*cries*

10:00 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

All clean for now...#6, how long is long? =.= I'm gonna be having my hair grown to near-shoulder length soon.

10:50 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

faggot aka otaku- The alternate version of geeks and nerds.

10:40 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Speaking of female nerds, the "geek feminists" of geekfeminism.org have had almost every opensource thing I've contributed to the free-software movement deleted from sourceforge (the main hosting website for the opensource world). I wrote about it on mikeeusa.pressword.com . They've had my perl terminal videogames deleted (gpcslots2 and rpg1 (a text based casino simulator and an RPG)), my miscellaneous utilities deleted (useful for searching through RAM, etc), and my ~40 Nexuiz maps deleted (3d maps for the videogame nexuiz which took 3 years of almost continious effort to make). They have sought out pretty much any place I have an outlet on the net and campaigned to have it removed. They are also trying to have me imprisoned. Could you shine light on this?

The geek feminists are trying and have been succeding in kicking anti-feminist men out of opensource (Like how they had Ted (Jonathan) Walther kicked out of debian some years back). The geek feminists do NOT produce anything, it is the men who create free-software. Yet we are being brought to heel. What can be done?

Here is where they gloat:

Death To women's Rights.
    Viva Men's Liberties (somehow)
    --MikeeUSA--
    mikeeusa.pressword.com

09:45 21/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

...

You do know in today's western societies, stopping the female workforce would probably grind our countries to a halt?

Just so you know...

10:39 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

07:37 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Gee, I tuck in my t-shirt. I will surely go to Otaku Hell.

Comment by Bokusatsu Tenshi
    07:58 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hmmm, lets see...

1. He has an anime T-shirt

2. He has an anime shopping bag

5. His bag is covered in anime badges

7. He wears his rucksack over both shoulders

Long ways to go... but I won't give up!

08:31 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"I should know, we can smell our own."

10:55 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

phew, i am guilty of none of those things!

11:10 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I eww about all these guys

Comment by xzeldax3
    13:22 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol this made it on kotaku

12:53 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Most guilty of thick glasses, but they're kinda cool looking and the occasional anime shopping bag is all. You'd have to know about anime and look at my keychain to notice i'm anime otaku.

14:46 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Phew.. You'll never find me.. I look normal.. but then again i am an Otaku

14:22 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Only guilty of #1(Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua T-Shirt)
    #6 has been a trait that I've had since before I got into anime.

But I'm surprised owning an anime figurine isn't included in the list(owns a Saber Lilly Figma)

Comment by Dark Mage
    14:09 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Seems I'm only guilty of #1 but only stuff along the lines cowboy bebop or gundam and sometimes #2.

BTW there is no way in hell I'd ware a fanny pack in the words of P. Dude you gottabe fucking kidding.

12:30 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow I have 0/10 I guess im not an otaku after all o0

12:29 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Interesting that almost every single one of us seems to have long hair...

17:46 24/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Dude, I'm bald.

11:55 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, none of the above apply to me and I'm a otaku.. maybe a modern one?

Comment by Bakamoichigei
    11:53 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Guilty of #6 and sometimes #9, and I guess sort of covertly #5 as I used to have various anime and non-anime pins and buttons under the flap of my messenger bag. (Before I swapped it for a newer and better made combo laptop/camera messenger bag from Tenba, now they're pinned to a bulletin board by my desk.)

Also, lol...those guys in the photo remind me of the two obnoxious otaku guys from Comic Party.

11:48 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

glasses and hair here, but im getting contacts, and cutting my hair when i get to nippon

11:21 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Only guilty of #6, but I have the best excuse in the world: I'm a girl! :3

11:58 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

#7, but why the hell it matters if you wear it with both shoulders? i dont see anything wrong with it... it has 2 straps, so it means you should wear both right?

Comment by hALOTOO
    12:23 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Here what I think
    1)OK
    2)OK
    3)Fail
    4)Fail
    5)OK
    6)Fail
    7)Fail
    8)Fail unless they meant Grandpa type glasses
    9)Fail
    10)Huh
    Look to me these reference are taken out from densha otoko and why isn't playing PSP or DS outside listed

Comment by ドラゴン
    07:12 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Japanese otaku are a depressing bunch -_-

03:16 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Meh. Sheer cultural differences here. I see the occasional anime bag on girls more often than not, though I'd venture a guess that only about a third of them are fans of any sort.

Comment by EyE
    02:52 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

True story. Instead of following my gay ass sister in the mall I decided to roam the street looking for otaku stuff. I decided the easiest way to find those shops is to find the otakus. And then I remember densha otoko and I know only otaku would wear backpack in areas where there is tons of couples moving around. I was right and I found the motherland for otaku.

02:47 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, i picture myself as an otaku, yet i have none of those traits. Although i do like bandanas every once in a while. :D

Comment by RLich
    03:17 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I never heard of these chemically washed jeans before...

03:20 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i can fit a case(24 cans) of beer and a bottle of vodka/whiskey/rum in my backbag, how the hell am i supposed to wear that with only one strap? when its not filled to brim with alcoholic beverages it has a laptop(maybe 2) and other crap inside, also not that light. if i wear a backbag its because i have something heavy to lug around.

13:50 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

damn right you are

03:47 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

1. I'm pretty careful about where I wear that sort of thing. Cons are about it.
    2. No.
    3. God no.
    4. Don't need one as my hair isn't long.
    5. No.
    6. Short enough that it doesn't get in my eyes (see #4).
    7. Rarely carry one anymore, but it depends on how long I'm going to be carrying it for: if I'm going to be lugging it all day, then OF COURSE I'm going to use both shoulders.
    8. 20/20 vision.
    9. Kind of depends on the "trousers" in question. With jeans, no. With slacks, yes (but I wouldn't be wearing a T-shirt with those).
    10. No. Jeans are damned expensive to begin with, and the chemical washes decrease their life. Also, it looks dumb.

03:42 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Imma sleeper otaku =D

03:34 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

OP pic reminds me of Edward & Alphonse Elric

02:47 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

6. His hair is excessively long
    So every metalhead is a otaku? I seriously doubt that...

7. Wears his rucksack over both shoulders
    Well excuse me but when your rucksack is full with catfood and other groceries it's not exactly comfortable to use only one shoulder strap

03:17 28/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

People with jobs drive.

17:11 14/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Excuse me but people with jobs can ALSO take buses and or a train. Retard.

02:43 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

no.7 is not correct...
    come on...are they gonna say
    those backpackers otaku too?

we wear rucksack on both shoulder to balance the weight...you dun want walking around the street with your shoulder slanting on other side

Comment by Ukonkivi
    02:17 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Elle Lowel said:
    6. His hair is excessively long

Ewwww, massive otaku.

02:18 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I really don't see whats wrong with #7, just seems outdated. If anything the only people who wear their backpacks with 1 strap are the nerds trying to be cool.

Also those found guilty of #3 and #4 should be shot dead.

15:34 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

#7... you'll need to use both shoulders if you're carrying over 1/3 of your body mass like I do on a near-everyday basis.

Comment by Dash
    02:32 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Reminds me i need a new haircut...

Comment by Neonie
    02:32 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think this list pertains to american Otaku. Or at least not me.

I wear baggy jeans and unmarked (plain black) tshirts. Also I don't think I've ever left the house with a backpack unless I was going on a plane xD

Comment by maga
    04:10 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

None of those are me.

06:47 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I only have long hair and it' because I like it. alsomost ofmy friends are getting bald and it's a bit of a self-steem boost

06:28 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

guilty of #1 & #6 as I do prefer my hair long to start with.

06:58 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

For female otaku:

1. She has an anime T-shirt, which is usually fitted for a guy therefore destroying her figure. If not, she's covered in rainbows.
    2. She has a bunch of chibi keychains on her cellphone, purse, or car keys.
    3. She has a Japanese-themed wristband from Hot Topic; usually has kanji or a series logo on it.
    4. She wears jewelry with anime-related things on them, like a transmutation circle necklace, or Hello Kitty stuff.
    5. Her bag is one of those messenger bag-types that has an anime image on it AND is covered in lots of badges.
    6. Her hair is tied back into a greasy ponytail or is cut to shoulder length.
    7. Her bag is worn on one shoulder but is really full and heavy with sketchbooks, favorite manga, etc.
    8. She has glasses, though they're surprisingly subtle, and also wears no makeup.
    9. She wears knee socks with her skirts. (Not thigh-highs.) Also wears skirts even if her body type would suggest that she really shouldn't.
    10. Firmly believes her favorite bishonen is her boyfriend.

Comment by Busy
    07:15 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I know many female otakus and none of the points you posted fit. :/ You can mainly recognise them at animal ears, cosplay, lolita and visual kei clothes.