Imouto “Keys to Happiness”

imouto-pantsu

Researchers have declared imouto to be a key to happiness after finding that people who grew up with sisters were significantly more likely to be happy.

University of Ulster psychologists surveyed 571 people aged 17 to 25 in detail about their family life, and found a significant positive influence when a person had a sister, with such individuals tending to be happier.

The professor in charge of the study suggests sisters exert a cohesive effect on families, whilst brothers tend to be divisive:

“Sisters appear to encourage more open communication and cohesion in families.

However, brothers seemed to have the alternative effect.

Emotional expression is fundamental to good psychological health and having sisters promotes this in families.”

He suggests families full of unruly otouto may be in trouble:

“We may have to think carefully about the way we deal with families with lots of boys.”

Via the BBC.

13:32 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I guess older siblings are happier later on since they tolerate shit thrown at them for practically their whole life. Having imoutos absolutely sucks, I'd know I'm one and boy I make my brother's life so miserable at times. I wouldn't wish myself on my worse enemy.

12:53 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Can't agree with that.
    Most of the time I was fighting with my older sister (she kicked my ass until I became 9 or so).
    I thought my parents concentrate only on her and thought of suicide (by throwing myself before a truck) at the age of 5.
    At least I could watch her doing homework, so the first 7 years of school were easy mode without any learning but then it went downhill ... .

So yeah, while she is working in promotion for Formula 1 races and such I'm a NEET without any learned profession yet at the age of 23 living with his mother and grandmother(below us) - but hey, at least my terminally ill(Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) father finally died 5 days ago after years of suffering, woot woot! Btw granddad died by cancer and my uncle died by work accident and now this, so good times ahead!!

Comment by Hunger
    13:29 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I grew up with a stupid elder sister and a fickle younger one.
    The older one is the pure image of evil incarnate , she throws sharp objects at me, scissors, knifes, nails. and thankfully i always dodge them because of her stupidity.
    I nurtured the young one to the extent of doing everything for her only to end up with her siding with my older sister and ending up as stupid as her.
    now..Where's the joy in my life now?

13:01 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a little sister, year and a half younger, and an older sister, by a fair margin. I also have an older brother.

All of my siblings are awesome almost without question. Great people, gamers, dorks, no social issues, chill to hang out with.

Suck it.

12:38 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have two sisters.

Neither me nor my immediates talk to one another.

13:56 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Dammit. I KNEW something was missing in my life XDDDD Now where can I go to get an imouto.

Comment by Miroku74
    22:55 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hear Wal-Mart's having a sale....

12:50 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I question the method use by these researchers to determine a concept such as happiness that cant really be defined nor less be measurable.

I think this is in fact false.

13:12 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Our family is five siblings, 4 sisters and 1 brother, we are very close. Despite the fact our parent was a useless piece of shit and we suffered the hardship of neglect and poverty, we siblings have always been mutually supportive and helped each other through our difficulties and grown to be successful individuals. I wouldn't be the same person if it weren't for my siblings, if this has something to do with sisters, I wouldn't be surprised.

13:14 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

this wasn't meant to be a reply

16:14 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think all of you who have sisters and say it's been a long, hard stretch of suffering living with that person are simply byproducts of your personalities and your upbringing. Maybe it's just how your parents brought the two or more of you up, or just your personalities. Siblings learn how to settle differences as they grow up together, through inevitable experiences where their interests clash. Perhaps you folks simply learned how to live with and settle differences a little later on. :p

I also notice many of you have onee-sans, and guys typically don't like to be baby'ed. My sister has a friend who has a much younger brother, and they are SO like what you see in anime and manga. The girl is all over her otouto, even going so far as sniffing him and going all "Ah, otouto smell," and the poor kid is like, "GTFO off me!" as he's trying to play his Wii. Aah, you guys have to have been there, it was one of the most bizarre and hilarious things I've seen.

Anyway I have an imouto and we are on fantastic terms with each other. It's probably cause both of our personalities are very chill, and she's an awesome person on her own right. So I got lucky and the whole lot of you guys didn't, HAHA! :D

16:14 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You've got to be joking. My sister completely fucked up our family and I hate her guts for it.

16:55 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The first thing that came to my mind after reading this article is: KYON-KUN DENWA!

Comment by PechapaiLoli
    14:00 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I am the imouto and I only cause despair. >:

I do have an older sister, however. She's alright but I wouldn't go as far to say that she makes my life happier.

14:43 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The said study ahs some truth in it. I mean despite the fact that siblings (brother & sister) have quarrels all the time. They still know how to respect each other to certain levels.

15:33 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

neechans > imoutos

15:25 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a friend who had one older and one younger sister.

The older sister is an angel. Sweet, caring, supportive, saves kittens from housefires, etc.

The younger sister (though visually cute/sexy-looking) is The Devil's Red Right Hand. Standing within five feet of her, you can just feel the evil-waves just rolling off her.

She tried poisoning my friend, stabbing him with a kitchen knife, etc.

I met her once, and once was enough.

My friend was glad when he started living on his own.

15:22 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Uh.. People who live with sisters do not know what treasure they have. I would give almost anything (even my core i7 rig!!) to live with a sister.. :/

15:49 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And once you do get a sister, you want to be rid of her within a year or two.

11:32 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I got two younger brothers, and since we all liked the same thing, we all hung out a lot (aka my partners-in-crime/henchmen). I wonder if it would have gone nearly as well with younger sisters...

11:34 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I will be even happier if I can marry my own sister.

Comment by Miroku74
    22:46 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Marry someone who knows all your strengths and weaknesses?

Yeah.... good luck with that.

11:36 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I doubt my older brothers would agree... I usually just encourage lack of communication.

11:20 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Are they fucking kidding me? My little sister was a bitch that plagued me for nearly all my life--If anything, my life probably got worse thanks to her.

11:22 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

OH SHI-! In my fimaly there's nothing but brothers.

11:44 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

unruly otouto.... hahaha

12:30 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm.. Angel Sanctuary comes to mind..

12:25 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have an older sister (from another family) living with us back then. I feel indifferent.

Comment by motaku96
    12:20 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a younger sister and I think I'm happy that I have her as a sister. Life is more fun with a sister you can hang out with.

Comment by Yi
    12:03 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think the research is valid at all. I wish I had an imouto or two though.

11:52 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lies, I have a little sister and I'm miserable.

12:13 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck her.

/solved

11:52 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My older sister was a bitch who traumatized me greatly growing up. :-/

12:00 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Does anybody here remember "Drake and Josh" on Nickelodeon? Yeah, I don't think Megan was a source of happiness for those two...

12:32 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Thus I know this person is 13

12:56 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nah, I'm 21.

It was a good show, but I'm merely providing it as a perfect example of how inaccurate this survey can be =/ .

17:18 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

so thats why im so fucked up...

and little sisters cause aneurysms. its a def stresser, thats why this topic has so many comments posted that quick, they cause drama even here

04:19 09/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It makes sense, since said males would have accumulated experience when it comes to interacting with the fair sex over time. Experience useful for relationships with sexual partners in their future. Even if said sexual partner is the imouto, itself...

05:05 09/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder then, why when my sister finally left home I finally felt at peace after a long while.

05:58 09/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No shit, I always wanted a sister. Without one... life's just not worth living when you live in a place like this...

05:37 09/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a little sister who's 10 year younger than me and without her i really think i would be less happier.
    Moreover i don't give a damn about my freaking otaku's life and i could do everything to just make her smile.

Clearly this survey is applying for my case. (and in the communication/cohesion too)

I have an older brother too but i don't care.

01:41 09/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm a younger sister, and I have 2 elder sisters and one elder brother. This statement is certainly true for me. :3 I'd hate life without my brother and sisters.

01:04 09/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

now i really wish i had a sis.

08:00 09/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have one and it causes nothing but grief so I call bullshit on this.

Comment by hALOTOO
    16:08 11/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I am the only child and couldn't be more happier.But my dad has 23 brothers and sisters(he's is the eldest), see the missing link

Comment by Ipan
    22:39 11/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I am an only child and i am happy XD

Comment by twitchforanime
    00:47 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I grew up with a sister who's almost 4 years older than me.
    Didn't stop me from being a ronery virgin shutin.

23:31 10/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a sister that only 1 year difference of my age. And she's a pain in the hand and @$$ since she's noisy and smart at exploiting my weakness. My playtime is greatly reduced because of her too. But I little agree of sister is a "key of happiness". She can be my playmate sometimes :).

13:11 09/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Imoutos will only make fall in despair