Tales of Graces Spectacular

tales-of-graces

The latest “mothership” Tales title is Tales of Graces for the Wii, due for release soon and by the looks of the trailers featured below one of the most impressive Tales games to date.

Few could help but notice the fairly impressive graphical quality appears on par with the other “nextgen” Tales mothership title, Tales of Vesperia.

This either suggests the Wii’s hardware has been skilfully employed, or perhaps that the less than spectacular graphics of Tales of Vesperia on the Xbox 360 beta and the even worse graphics of the “Perfect” PS3 version are evidence of Namco’s poor handling of these systems…

The game itself is said to be one of the longest Tales games yet (impressive considering length of such titles as Tales of the Abyss), but other than Tales of Hearts style seamless world navigation it appears the game follows the usual Tales formula.

Character design is handled by Mutsumi Inomata, whose shoujo-esque designs may be familiar from Tales of Destiny and Tales of Rebirth, amongst others. The game is voiced by the usual cast of top seiyuu.

Tales of Graces is due December 10th, perhaps an unfortunate choice of release date for RPG fans considering Final Fantasy XIII is due a week later.

No information on an international release is yet available, and nor is it clear whether the title will later find its way onto the PlayStation as with previous Nintendo to Sony Tales ports – there is certainly some suspicion that it will.

tales-of-graces-moe

09:26 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nearly every Japanese RPG-gamer will get a PS3 for FFXIII, if they do not already own one. It is not as if you can play them at the same time just because they're on different consoles.
    So yes, I do think mr anon the 1st was right there. You can't beat the FF behemoth.

16:19 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

On the contrary. Just use a blizzaga spell. :)

20:46 05/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

FF7 was the reason i sucked my dads dick to get a psx. it was bitter-sweet but in the end it was well worth it.

Same will happen for FF13

Comment by Trepiz
    09:56 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

looks good ill probably go buy a wii if it gets a united states release.

07:49 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh holy mother of god.
    I see double ponytails. That are purple. <3

I have a feeling I will like this game.

Comment by Dirty_Dingus008
    08:18 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Good old Arty's got a bit of a sarcastic tick in 'em with that "~fairly impressive graphical quality~" line in description of this game. What I'm seeing here is a souped up PS2 game.

It's great to see that the original artist is finally getting another hand in the "Tales~" series, but I also find it humorous that it is the artist who folds rather then the programmers this time.

She has changed her style significantly in the making of this new game. Making the character "easier" to modify into digital 3-D forms.

And that, is a god-damned shame for it.

Comment by metatron
    11:57 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sophie is made of love <3 <3 <3

16:17 05/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

+Million points for having a DFC twintail main heroine in this one :3

16:18 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Finally, a game on the wii both worth PLAYING and OWNING.

...on a side note;
    DAMNIT! I haven't even gotten to play Vesperia, Eternia, Symphonia 2, or Hearts, and yet they make another one!? damn you Namco, damn you!

12:37 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like fun. I'd get a Wii for this if it comes out in North America.
    I kind of wish they did cel shaded graphics again like with Symphonia on GameCube.

Comment by Raito
    04:39 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Tale games just love innovating...................................................................................................................................................
    kidding.

Comment by Niwa
    02:20 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Graces feels like a buy in my book

Hopin for no disapoint

02:12 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

@.@
    "I... I touched her... Please, let me touch her again!"

(What's with all the arguments and criticism? Geez louise...)

Comment by Overt
    02:48 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

For me who was disappointed with new gen Tales games this one actually looks good. That fighting system certainly seems interesting, but i'll wait before getting my hopes up.

04:03 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ooh Namco I already learned my lesson, no loli no game.
    I don't want to waste my time on a "beta" version again, specially if its a super long tales game.
    Show us the loli damn it.

14:51 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Err there is already 3 lolis in the damn game....

03:57 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A Tales game for shitendo is such a waste.

07:04 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck you, you piece of shit! Nintendo is epic. It kicks the hell out of Sony and Microsoft..

12:50 20/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd like a PC thanks. (emulators ftw)

03:45 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Game looks so damn good.

Still wish they didnt have some shitty J-pop song in the trailer though its annoying. like S-E did with Kingdom Hearts and FFXIII.

09:20 14/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Isn't Tales Of Graces coming to the Wii because they don't have a Mothership title yet? We had DoTNW (Which I... enjoyed...) but we kinda need a Mothership!

Tales' games are built upon over dramatic"ness" and typical characters because it's Japanese.

Have you ever watched an anime show? They are like BUILT upon angsty pasts, and out-of-this-world drama.
    It's like you're playing an anime. I find it quite tasteful.

I'm very excited for Graces. (: It looks great, for a Wii game. (Keep in mine Nintendo is actually directed toward a general family audience. Hardcore gamers? Maybe you should buy a different console instead of complaining.) I'm really pumped, I hope it gets dubbed- no matter how "horrible" dubs can be. It's more enjoyable, like watching a movie.

Anyway. /Excited!

Comment by Bronxdragon
    14:02 20/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You fuckin grahpic whores are the reason rpgs are starting to suck! Tales series looks fine that is there style leave them the fuck alone.....I have not played a tales game that didn't have a decent story and fun gameplay and guess what this game brings back freaken blast calburs now I can spam arts again!!!

15:32 06/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

HOpe for PS3 ver like Vesperia .

01:20 05/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

☑ PS3/Xbox/Wii troll
    ☑ Console vs PC troll
    ☑ "You won't have it" troll
    ☑ PS3/Xbox = Graphics w/o content troll
    ☑ Casual gamers shouldn't play troll

I think it's time to innovate. If you continue like that, the troll industry is dead in 6 months. So now get your ass working and innovate. Why do you think you've been trolled for ? You get daily training on Sankaku complex and you still recycling old ones ? Geez...

12:51 20/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

360/PS3/Wii vs NES troll?

Comment by taz0x
    02:58 05/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yay!! they're bringing back CC!!

Comment by Lord Ryo
    21:05 05/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This game looks beyond impressive! Although I wouldn’t say that it has impressive graphical quality, it’s not bad by any means but Vesperia I think looks better.

Tales have always been my favorite JRPG. I never really liked Final Fantasy always too overrated (IX, XII, and XIII are the only exceptions) The battle style looks great, defiantly the best in the series I only hope the characters and story can match or even top Vesperia. This actually makes me wish I didn’t sell my Wii! lol Either way I hope it gets ported to the PS3 or hell, even the Xbox! I’ll be keeping an eye on this; it looks to be one the best RPGs I’ve seen.

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    01:45 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

First 360 beta-testers, now Wii beta-testers, oh Namco <3

01:42 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This or PS3 Vesperia?
    seems clear to me....

20:21 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Eh, doesn't look all that engaging from what they've show so far. The advertisements for Abyss and Vesperia looked more interesting, as I recall. If it gets ported over here I'll probably give it a closer look before making any final judgment, though.

19:55 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Few could help but notice the fairly impressive graphical quality appears on par with the other “nextgen” Tales mothership title"

You don't have eyes, do you arte? It isn't even "en par" with Eternal Sonata or the new Roronoa.

21:25 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Because Eternal Sonata and the new Roronoa are definitely nextgen Tales mothership titles.

02:18 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What ? You didn't know ? What a retard you are !

19:08 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why do we still refer to these current gen consoles as "next gen"... did Artefact use inverted commas to indicate irony?

19:41 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Face it, in the end WII win(s). You $ony and M$ fags!

21:09 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ironic how the fanboys always cry 'No GAMES ON WII!!' and then when there is games they like, they shift to 'THIS SHOULD BE ON THE PS3/360 NOT THE WII!!' It's the same people who laughed at Nintendo for having Motion Control a fad and would never kick in, yet when Sony and Microsoft gets Motion Control it's brilliant?

It's also the same fanboys who says 'Nintendo are greedy bastards. They don't care about Ze HARDCORE GAMERZ!!'...since when did Nintendo not care about gamers at all? The casuals bought into Sony PS becoming gamers ignoring Nintendo (face it majority of people who bought the Playstation was because A)It's Sony B)It used Discs not cartridges C)It could play CD's). Yet it was the following Nintendo systems to release one of the best games these last during that decade. Besides I don't remember companies not caring about money...

There is fanboyism on all sides, but my god Sony and MS fanboys are way more active at looking for excuses to bash each other.

00:27 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah because i shout "No games on Wii T-T" and when a game comes out i shout "No port to ps3/360?????? T-T"

Quite dumb what you say...

19:06 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

my opinion:

just because a game comes out on another console doesn't have to mean its any better... it can be, but they don't like wasting money...

in other words... get a wii, or ps3... but if you get a pc, a top of the range one... use emulaters... congrats... you just got the ability to play wii, ps3 and xbox 360 games all in one... for free most likely.

I'll have non of this it wont play fast or, my controller wont work with a pc, BECAUSE I DO IT WITH THE ORIGINAL CONTROLLERS and EMULATORS MYSELF, ON MY PC!

01:03 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So...you don't deny the other things the anon pointed out about generic PS3/360 fanboys? You do know that's what typical fanboys are like right? If you're not shouting then, you're probably on GameFAQ's creating topics like "Why isn't it on the PS3/360?" in the Nintendo boards or saying "This would be better on the PS3/360". If you don't do any of the above, then you're not really a fanboy and shouldn't be affected by what the anon said.

20:31 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the only "impressive" technique i see employed here is detailed shadow mapping with distance blur. but it still looks nothing like what is possible on a modern gpu.
    the lighting is also very low-profile, at least as far as i can see on the youtube videos. that doesn't mean it looks bad, but impressive is different. most of the effects are precalculated and baked to the textures, and the few occasions were dynamic lighting is used are done in a way that even the psx could handle.

01:49 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what do you mean by "the effects are precalculated and baked to the textures"?

20:27 21/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's a technique used in a lot of games in the past PS2/GC generations, it consists in "painting" the shadows directly over the game textures, usually they pack all the map textures in one singe huge textures with the shadows and lights painted over it.

21:04 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Can't wait for the PS3 port. With extra loli.

21:02 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Great, now I have a reason for getting a Wii console T_T, unless they do port it on the PS3.

21:00 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

tales games are usual long but not in a good way

I find the story just drags on slowly or you get side trapped in doing boring shit.

In vesperia you beat the main badguy then the story drags on even longer because you have to clear shit out the sky.

Every tales game in the same thing more or less, played one, played them all. Further more with this one being a wii game, its an instant boycott.

20:38 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

releasing this a week before ff13

suicide

21:35 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, I mean. All those people who own a Wii won't know which one to get will they? You fucking idiot, think things through.

12:45 20/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a wii, wat should i get... mayb FFXIII, rite? lol

22:08 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Unless they somehow manage to fool the gamers into buying this, so that they're broke when FFXIII is released.

23:27 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ITS A WII <__> albeit illegal