Top 10 Summer 2009 Anime, According to 2ch

bakemonogatari-oshino-shinobu-by-simoshi

2ch-ologists have delivered their verdict on which of 2009 summer anime attracted the most attention from 2ch’s otaku community and the sites surrounding it.

The executive digest ranking, based on overall score:

1. Bakemonogatari

2. Saki

3. Taishou Yakyuu Musume

4. Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

5. Sora no Manimani

6. Aoi Hana

7. Wolf and Spice II

8. Haruhi

9. Hayate no Gotoku

10. GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class

The results in full take in the relative performance (in terms of thread activity and polling) of each title on the sprawling complex of anime related boards on 2ch, as well as supplementary factors such as Amazon rank, Mixi connections, blog hits and so on.

The full ranking for masochists with an excellent knowledge of Japanese and 2ch:

2ch-summer-anime-2009

22:25 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

GA is like watered down version of Hidamari Sketch.

22:37 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's what people who never watch it always say..

23:26 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I did watch some of it and in my defence, I like a lot of other slapsticks, but GA just didn't make it for me. Also it really felt like watching Hidamari Sketch again with new characters.

02:11 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh well, at least you deserve my respect for specifically stating out your reason based on your personal opinion on why it doesn't fancy you (pretty much like how i prefer Young Kindaichi over Conan) instead of just blindly calling it a Hidamari rip-off..

(No sarcasm here, honestly)

22:09 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nothing but love for Bakemonogatari, Ztsubou Sensei and Spice and Wolf. I might check out Saki and GA out of curiosity.

Senjougahara>>>>>>>Haruhi

22:35 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I already knew Bake/Saki would be in the top 2, but seriously...FMA should be in 3rd place, and no Basquash or Princess Lover? wrf

22:35 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why is Saki on there, and so high?

22:45 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"1. Bakemonogatari"

The only explanation for this is that this season was really terrible. The only remotely interesting anime were Bakemonogatari, Zan SZS and S&W 2.

The dialogue in Bakemonogatari was really poorly written and felt unnatural at all times. Senjogahara's character had the potential to be complex and sympathetic but that all was thrown away by making her rever back to her old bottled up self after getting rid of her oddity. And all attempts at comedy were so terrible it was distracting and threw the anime off balance with their awkward clumsiness. The visuals were good and the direction supported the approach the anime took pretty well, and the frames that portrayed Araragi's emotional context throughout the series (red, black, etc.) were well used.

It's worth 7/10 (good) from me. Pretty weak for the best anime of its season. I hope Winter Sonaka, Kobato and Kuuchuu Buranko won't disappoint the same way.

01:58 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You give Bakemonogatari a score lower than 10/10, so you are obviously a tasteless moron and your opinion doesn't count.

08:18 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

(typo) The dialogue was like that on purpose. It was the best part. The fact that the dialogue was so weird was what made it so awesome.

07:40 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The dialogue was the best part. The fact that the dialogue was so weird was made it so awesome.

Comment by SenseiSyaoranLi
    21:23 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I liked bakemonagatari

21:45 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not a bad list, Saki is damn consistant, remember last season, Saki is around 2nd or 3rd place...

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    23:08 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hayate > Haruhi

NO OBJECTIONS

02:16 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

OBJECTION!

It should be Hayate >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Haruhi.

23:15 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

NEEDLESS is about 18 places too low ...

00:21 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Taishou Yakyuu Musume did fail to milk the ecchi potential at the summer camp episode. Hoping S2 would correct this though.

Comment by ZetsubouNinja
    01:03 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice! Zetsubou Sensei made it on the list. I couldn't find a lot of parodies on youtube, so I made one yesterday XD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbY-DYz_bVs

23:24 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Kind of saw the #1 spot coming. Kind of surprised Canaan didn't make the ratings though.

23:37 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

All of these are full of shit

00:10 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

you're full of shit sir

19:14 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

GA, Saki, Aoi Hana for me (in that order).

19:00 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Haruhi shouldn't even be on the list.

Anime is fucking dead as we know it.

18:09 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

why did haruhi beat hayate? hayate was really good unlike haruhi that had the endless 8 and haruhi beating up on poor mikuru for almost 5 eps, wtf is wrong with you people!?

18:11 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It'd be nice if one of these "Top ten" things had smaller images of said Anime/Mangas... Embarassed, but I'm not super-Otaku and not always up on them or their Japanese names...

Love the picture, tho-

A "Loli Vampire" in the bike seat! She's obviously not "Sun Allergic" as a western vampire, but she's quite flexible and it doesn't look like her head comes out with guts dangling...

Interesting how these things come in pairs, not that I complain, mind. On the surface, similar to "Dance in the Vampire Bund". A "Loli Vampire" so she's cute, very passionate and sexual, but trapped because of her appearance; "Mistah! Mistah! Will you be my lover? Most men my age are SUCH little boys!" - Man screams and runs for his life, but not from fear of blood loss, at least by fangs. Girl vamp stamps her feet and pouts...

Now, in the movie industry it's deliberate. Disney tries to keep things under wraps, and then there are companies that quickly produce cheaply animated "Similar products" to take some of the market they stir up. And unlike some daycare center, they can't send thugs over to cover up drawings with paint.

But I've noticed a lot of "Symmetry" in other things as well. For instance, in comics many artists come in "Pairs" in illustration style, though they diverge over time. Moebius and Druillet. M.W. Kaluta and Charles Vess.

19:20 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

kinda dpressed for basquash, good animation but lack of audience..

Comment by loplop
    20:55 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The 2 that I enjoyed most aren't even on their, but I'm not surprised. Princess Lover and Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-Chan!! were just fun to watch. I'm not saying that they were the best or anything else, I just enjoyed them more.

21:02 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Here is the most recent weekly top 10 anime by tv-ratings:

1. Sazae-san
    2. Crayon Shin-chan
    3. Doraemon
    4. One Piece
    5. Detective Conan
    6. Chibi Maruko-chan
    7. Dragon Ball Kai
    8. Fresh PreCure!
    9. Pokemon DP Special
    10. Mainichi Kaa-san
    ...
    38. Saki

It's quite a different story.

21:53 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm not surprised.
    Otaku is not equal to generic audience.

19:56 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hooray for Bakemonogatari and (the underrated) GA.

And wtf is Haruhi on no.8? It lacked of Ryoko and it's nothing but just the most heated and controversial show in 2009 that it gets a lot of attention.

Hell, Pandora Hearts deserved that spot more than they do!! All hail, tsundere Alice-sama!!!!

19:24 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

SORRY NO FMA:B == BULLSHIT...

4 of those in the top 10 list don't even deserve to be there....

WTF.....

19:30 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh yah... People say Canaan is low... Well I guess so... but then again the ending ruined it.

Fucking ending is a mess. On the other hand animation wise that was a masterpiece.

If I'm going to list what has amazed me in terms of animation for spring to summer

1.Canaan
    2.FM:B
    3.Tears to Tiara
    4.Bakemonogatari(Once in a while drop but still great)
    5-10... Don't really care since most of them are pretty average.

13:12 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Bakemonogatari rules!!!!

Comment by crink
    11:50 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What, no Phantom? D:

11:48 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Bakemonogatari and Saki in first is not surprising

nice to see Sora no Manimani up there though

13:04 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it bad that I understand where the Bakemonogatari haters are coming from, even though I enjoyed the show myself?

I find myself agreeing with the ones calling it a harem...

15:17 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually you can't understand where they're coming from most of the time because of the time they don't really give a reason to why they hate it.

23:30 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"atracted more attention"?! I thought haruhi was the war of the year XDD

01:51 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hayate lost to haruhi omfg!!!!

"Then why Umineko lost to Hayate?"
    Meh, I won't insult any anime (the above sentence is just example counter statement), since every one have their favs.
    ~Haruhi EF.

08:24 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Uh? Aren't 90% of all anime fans shounen-loving retards?

03:25 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What? Why is Cross Game rated so low? Why is Taishou Yakyuu Musume in 3 instead of Cross Game? o_O;;

03:53 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It interesting they used site hits on a few boards as to the ones posted on. It can't be right though.

Fight Ippatsu! Jyuden-chan!! is number 1. It provided non stop shameless pantsu. Pantsu in motion with chase cams front and back, Pantsu special power up moves and fully visible Pantsu. There were nipples too. This has not been done like this outside of ovas. Hands down number 1 show of the summer.

Umi Monogatari is the 2nd and Taishou Yakyuu Musume is 3rd.

In any case, their rating might be right for people ages 7 to 13 in Japan. I think people over 21 is much different.

11:12 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Delighted that Haruhi scored well, and annoys so many people here. Yes, Endless Eight repeated a lot, but in that respect, it became the first actual decent time loop story ever made, because it made us feel what the protagonists did.

But I guess new art, great acting, and the balls to actually try something new doesn't appeal too much.

03:08 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Taishou Yakyuu Musume 3rd????? What the.......

Comment by Lord Ryo
    03:10 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

To be honest I wouldn’t really call Senjougahara’s lack of screen time a real flaw, making Bakemonogatari a flawless anime. The character development was handled very nicely considering each story arc only lasted 2-3 episodes. But all the characters appeared in episodes past their initial episode so it helped in getting to know the characters better.

And I am aware that Saki is a fan service show and from my knowledge the fan service isn’t high enough to really ruin anything. There are lots of great animes that have substantial amounts of fan service but tell a great story as well. (Code Geass) If I’m going to watch a show full of panty shots I’d like a great story to go with it. (preferably)

And me exclaiming that Hayate deserves be higher on the list is just me stating my opinion, like most people here. And from the other posts here, it seems many also agree that Hayate should have been higher up so it’s not just me thinking otherwise.

Comment by Lord Ryo
    01:50 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

YAY!! Bakemonogatari is the best! Definitely my favorite summer anime, the only minor flaw it had was the lack of Senjougahara-sama. Senjougahara-sama is tied with Horo for all time best anime character ever! Speaking of Horo, Spicy Wolf should have been a little higher on the list. Although I was a little unpleased with the first half of the show it ended really well so I can’t complain.

The only thing else on the list I even care about is Haruhi and Hayate, which were both good. Just to spite Haruhi I would leave it in 8th place but Hayate needs to be higher up!

I’m also really surprised that CANAAN isn’t higher up on the list as well; it was my second favorite summer anime, great all around. *shrugs* I’ll say summer turned out to be better than I had expected, I wasn’t too hyped when I first read what was coming out and after dropping 2 shows so quickly I didn’t think this season would end well. Now I’m just waiting for fall to come!

02:06 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Bakemonogatari-...-the only minor flaw it had was the lack of Senjougahara-sama"

Are you sure it's perfect in every other regard? Much of the characters' potential was wasted with rushed development while a lot of time was wasted on parts that didn't advance the story at all. Also, the character dynamics in it were so bad that it all interaction in it felt forced.

"I haven’t seen Saki although I really want to, (I’ll get around to it soon) so I wont comment there, but it looks really good."

It's a fanservice anime, don't expect much.

"Hayate needs to be higher up!"

For whatever reason? Their position in the list is determined by majority's opinion, so why should it be different just because you think otherwise?

01:42 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

senjougahara=awesome