Sony on PSP Go: “Enjoy Buying All Your Games Again!”

hatsune-miku-mikumiku-psp.jpg

Sony’s new PSP Go, which eschews a UMD drive in favour of reliance on the PlayStation Network’s game download service, was supposed to allow current PSP game owners to download the games they already owned for free, but Sony has dumped the scheme in a move which many will suspect is in the hopes of prompting PSP owners to repurchase titles they already own.

A spokesman offered a terse and improbable denial of its previously announced intent to provide such a service:

“We were evaluating a UMD conversion program, but due to legal and technical reasons we will not be offering the program at this time.”

A “Rewards” scheme is being offered for a limited time in the UK, allowing UMD owners to download three of a mere 17 games, but Sony rules out a similar scheme for the US.

Sony insists it will be maintaining sales of the traditional UMD-tied PSP, but with the revenue potential of forcing users onto a purely digital and entirely Sony controlled marketplace in the form of PSN, it might be wondered how long it will take before “legal and technical reasons” force Sony to offer only the Go…

psp-go-2.jpg

Via Ore-teki.

14:55 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PSP Go is nothing but a scam by Sony. They're basically trying to get people to purchase a downgraded PSP. The $80 addition for the internal 16GB memory is not even enough to compensate the difference, since none of the old PSP memory sticks, peripherals or cables can attach to the PSP Go either, so anyone who's changing to the PSP Go will have to spend more money.

Furthermore, I have been wondering if games that are released for direct downloads would have the same launch price 7 years later, since there's no competition. Originally games cartridges or discs reduce price because stores are competing in prices or clearing inventory. Since Sony does not worry about either of these, they could just keep the same launch price even 10 years later. Hence it's a huge scam to consumers once again.

Even purchasing direct download games is exactly the same price as purchasing a physical disc, especially since Patapon 2 had the same price even after they changed it to direct download.

I am not looking forward to the future of direct downloads. All I can see is nothing but a big hole in my wallet from this scam.

15:00 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Theyre actually making this more expensive and the screens also smaller >.>

15:02 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hahaha look at the 360 fanboys finally getting the article that they can troll.

Comment by Rinfinite
    14:52 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

To put it in an anon's words:

"SONY FANBOYS SURE GOT TOLD"

Comment by HyperKnuckles99
    14:49 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PSP, it's like a nut, you can play outside.

15:44 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm still questioning if Sony's going to scam people with these direct download purchases, since they can keep the prices for games at launch price even 7 years later in the future. The reason for this is due to the fact that cartridges in stores used to drop in price because of competition and the need to clear stock for new inventory. Since Sony doesn't need to worry about these, they can pretty much keep the prices the same even 10 years later in the future.

Perfect example would be Patapon 2, since they kept the price the same even after they announced it would be a direct download purchase. Furthermore they even priced the case & code as the same price as a direct download purchase.

15:48 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm pretty sure Sony's going to scam people with these direct download purchases, since they can keep the prices for games at launch price even 7 years later in the future. The reason for this is due to the fact that cartridges in stores used to drop in price because of competition and the need to clear stock for new inventory. Since Sony doesn't need to worry about these, they can pretty much keep the prices the same even 10 years later in the future.

Comment by Holly
    16:12 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well this is a big screw you to paying customers.. Oh well, I've never paid sony a cent, and I don't plan too anytime soon.

I'll just wait til the PSP Go is fully hacked and then ask my girlfriend to buy me one for my birthday, and enjoy like 5 titles that are even worth playing.

I almost bought the PSP 3000, but scanlines, and sony just ignoring it? No thanks.

At least the PSP has emulators if not for that then I probably wouldn't bother.

16:35 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah Kaz Hirai, What Are You Thinking???

You can't fight DS like THAT!

15:55 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

All in All:
    PSP Go fails against the old psp + the nintendo ds and is just a bucket full of epic failure am i right?

13:36 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Everyone is getting it all wrong...

All you need is Q3 on the PC and Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast and you're set for life. No other games are needed.

Comment by demonhaseo
    12:01 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I never had any plans on buying this piece of junk anyway... stupid in my opinion, it's going to fail since they're selling it side by side with the PSP-3000 which can do almost all it can do, minus the 16gb of internal storage and blue tooth AND still allow you to use UMD's.

12:01 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PSP-Go is for fags that want an iphone without the phone...only with more games and a smaller screen.

PASS. I'll wait for PSP 4000

12:16 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Truth is idiots will still buy it because it's a new and shiny toy to play with.

But people like us who have some fucking brains know the PSP GO fucking sucks. Personally, I want it to flop. But it's still gonna sell like hotcakes just because its a shiny new toy.

Comment by HyperKnuckles99
    14:47 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed
    Hope it fails as well.

13:33 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck you Sony....Fuck you and your stupid Jap corporate thugs.

13:58 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not just Sony though. There's plenty of other corporations that make stupid decisions because they are blinded by imaginary money that may or may not materialize.

Comment by Barbarian of Gor
    13:17 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Uggg....

Well, the wisdom is: "If you don't like the price, don't buy it".

I like this: On ThinkGeek they have a Linux mini computer designed to work with MAME and other apps...

13:12 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

who the fuck cares? It's not like all your old games and your old PSP is gonna suddenly disappear as soon as u get the PSP go. If you want to play your UMD games, use your old PSP. if you want to play new games downloaded onto the psp go then use the psp go....I don't get what's so difficult to do?

I mean nobody needs to play 18 different games through out the whole day when they go outside or whatever. for me personally 1 game is enough.

12:43 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why can't Sony just sell a removable UMD that lets you import or run your games?

Comment by demonhaseo
    09:59 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I read up something about them being afraid of people figuring out how to use it for PSP emulators... and also people figuring out how to use it to bypass copy write laws

17:43 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

because that's too fucking convenient.

17:04 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Luckily the Go isn't worth buying.

04:00 30/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sony should stick to console making. The PSP was a dismal failure as will the go.

19:41 30/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well..i'm quite happy with my PSP, i'm a RPGamer. I also have a DS. But i will NEVER EVER buy a "download only" handheld/console.

Comment by Dark Mage
    02:18 20/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Same here really I don't know why they didn't move to flash as a distribution medium now that it's cost effective.
    I can buy an 8gb flash drive for $20 this is many times larger then any PSP go game and it takes hours to DL something that 8GB in size even on a fast internet connection.

21:15 30/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So... where are kretinos (aka S*ny fanbois) ranting about perfect versions? :>

Silent?

Oh, someones "behind" must hurt much more than usual. Well, you knew what you were signing for when you picked that $ide. :)

Comment by Dark Mage
    02:14 20/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sony enjoy the increased piracy such a move will make many normally honest users into pirates.

22:42 17/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

HA! they spend so much money trying to de-pirate and hack-proof the PS3 and now they are making a PsP model that uses Digital games only!
    ppffftt not only are they provoking hackers and internet game pirates by giving them a new toy to fuck with but they are also going to piss off game stores!

Comment by hALOTOO
    12:08 02/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wonder when MS isn't in handhail busyness ?

03:32 01/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PSP LOL:

Smaller screen - Check
    The need to buy everything over again - Check
    Misplaced Analog Stick - Check
    Stupid sliding feature - Check

Sounds awesome to me.

20:58 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think the PS3 BD-ROM is the last bastion of the physical media form. 25-50GB capacity on a disc the same size as a standard CD, a very durable clear keepcase (compared to flimsy Amaray DVD cases and even the superthin blu-ray movie keepcases) that can hold reversible cover art, and a scratch-free layer coating the DVD or CD cannot even hope to touch.

It is such a shame that the pinnacle of media technology is overshadowed by the DRM-invested control-grubbing behaviors of the very same company that pioneered the epitome of physical medium. I can see why Microsoft would want to push for Direct Download, since it is entirely consistent with their gameplan on being a software monopoly giant. But Sony direct-download-only PSP? For shame! Now I really believe Capcom dude's comments about the Japanese gaming industry is finished. This and the Squeenix chief talking about billing as innovation.

The PS3 is probably going to be my last gaming console. And with PC gaming dying as well -- aside from MMORPGs which have a shelf life, then I suppose gaming (and stockpiling dozens of gaming discs) is over for me as well. I don't look forward to that day.

18:51 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I still regret buying a PSP. In the 2 years I've owned it I'm not exaggerating when I say less 99% of the time I spent with it was watching movies or TV shows, and NOT that often.

22:48 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You clearly haven't heard of CFW.

00:02 30/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They should have introduced touch-sensitive screen to the PSP GO. iPod touch still FTFMW!!!!!

Comment by El Chaos
    03:20 30/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If I'm to read into Sony's moves (no "UMD-to-download converting" plan for PSPgo, nix the "official" backwards compatibility on the PS3 even through software-based emulation), I'd say they're looking for fresh new consumerds rather than old consumers replacing their consoles.

I don't know, maybe they're "thinking green" or something.

But, if what Arte presumes about Sony's future plans for the UMD's epic failure of a format actually becomes true, that'd be a major shaft. A rather good option for Sony would be to sell PSPgo units with a major discount to all good ol' PSP system owners when the price goes down and they really feel like getting rid of the UMD blunder once and for all, but that could be some two or three years from now.

Comment by Riiku
    01:03 30/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck it, I will continue to play any PSP game I want for free. And this move on the part of Sony doesnt make me fill shame, thats for shure

Comment by Nin
    00:29 30/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It doesn't actually look too appealing.

07:51 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

sony needs to stop trying to be apple. apple is a fucking failure anyway when it comes to games. theres a reason people purchase peripherals that are specialized, no one fucking buys an ipod expecting GOOD GAMES. and while a psp can play mp3s no one purchases a psp just for music.

07:52 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder if the article really is supposed to be talking only about UK, the United Kingdom, not the whole Europe. It always gets confusing, because very often the whole Europe is referred as UK, for some odd, unknown, and incomprehensible reason. Many of you probably know what I mean, like how with games' release dates you often read when a game is released in UK, but the date for other European countries is left completely unmentioned. Then you find out the UK release date was supposed to mean the realease date for the whole Europe.

09:23 30/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

USA is the face of western culture, thus represents the whole American continent, both of them, North and South America. UK is the USA of Europe. Why? Same language. Of course they mean the whole Europe when they're talking about UK. I know this, and you know this, too. Very soon people will be talking about going to UK when they go to visit, say, Belgium or Austria. Just like you hear people saying America when they mean USA. Especially the people living in USA are like this. I hope Europeans will never sink to the same level and adapt the same mentality, and start saying UK instead of Europe. Or Europe instead of the name of their home country that's in Europe.

07:50 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PSP Go is a complete scam, since people who already have a PSP would have to repurchase every single peripheral and cables. Even the memory card's different now, the $80 price difference doesn't even justify the 16GB internal memory, since you get a smaller screen and battery.

The biggest question I have concerning the direct download scheme, will the price for any of the games released ever reduce in price on the Playstation Network similar to purchasing games from a store or will the price for the games remain the same from launch till 6 years in the future?

It's a question I've been wondering about since the PSP Go's announcement, since all games on the PSN, XBL or VC have a preset price. Purchasing games in stores will always drop after a certain period, because stores have to compete with each other, and they have to make new inventory space by lowering prices for gaming products. With direct downloads there's no obligation of dropping costs, especially if there's something exclusive for direct downloads only, since Sony won't have to worry about inventory space.

Comment by Fapping Time
    07:44 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

sony needs your fucking money...

07:47 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That looks horribly uncomfortable to play.
    I hate cell phones with similar keyboard function.

15:49 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, it looks pretty weak, guess it will break in two halfs when you play hard enough

07:54 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

psp is shit game wise, fuck all worth buying for it. PSP is a pointless experiment by sony that should have been canned long before it ever went public.

As much as I hate nintendo's wii the DS has decent, original software by the bucketload, a much better choice.

07:59 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

psp go is an experiment I should say

07:56 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

psp go is £230 in the UK

thats $350!!!!!

hahahahah, fucking fail

Comment by Artefact

More than a PS3 Slim in a reasonable country...

Comment by tingle
    08:10 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

SOrry sony you just cost yourself a sale.

08:12 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

with dlc you can't buy the limited edition version of miku with bundled panties!

dlc is the suck