MS Journalist Invents PS3 “Yellow Light of Death” Problem

nobody-can-help-me-rrod.jpg

Sony has sharply criticised a facile BBC report castigating the PS3’s warranty and reliability by claiming it has a “Yellow Light of Death” problem.

However, few can help but notice the lead journalist involved has himself worked for Microsoft, during which time he called the Xbox 360 “perfect” and said he “feels sorry for” PS3 buyers, whilst loudly proclaiming his own impartiality in true BBC style.

The BBC’s “Watchdog” programme, a primetime show which gaudily investigates consumer complaints against companies, aired a report based on 150 complaints it had received about PS3s failing from the so-called “Yellow Light of Death,” the PS3’s generic hardware fault indicator, where it claimed that Sony refused to repair the units for free (as they were out of warranty).

Together with companies hawking their own PS3 repair services and an independent consultancy it then prepared a “technical report” of the problems based on its analysis of 3 failed consoles, one of which had been modified by the owner, which it attempted to confront Sony with.

A publicity stunt involving BBC funded “free” PS3 repairs being offered outside the Sony HQ was then set up, though Watchdog admitted of the paltry 11 units repaired, 4 later failed again.

Sony responds with a lengthy and detailed rebuttal, saying that the scale of the problem is minute:

“SCEUK has run searches of its customer complaints/warranty database to identify the number of reports made to it regarding instances of system shutdown or failure in circumstances where the front panel yellow indicator is illuminated.

The results show that of all PS3s sold in the UK to date, fewer than one half of one per cent of units have been reported as failing in circumstances where the yellow indicator is illuminated.”

The actual number is estimated to be 12,500 units, out of the total UK install base of 2,500,000 units, which is of course difficult to compare to the supposed 54% RRoD failure rate enjoyed by the Xbox 360.

Sony warns the BBC that it is prepared to take “all necessary steps” to protect its brand from slanderous reporting. The BBC has yet to issue a defence.

Most curiously of all, the journalist presenting the report, one Iain Lee, has previously been employed by Microsoft to shill for the Xbox; in one such article published on MSN, entitled “Console Wars: Iain Lee takes sides,” he demonstrates his impartiality:

“You have to feel sorry for everyone that plumped for the PS3 over the 360. Not the Sony diehards that would buy a polished poo if it had the Sony logo on.

And don’t get me started on the online services. That’s a whole rant in itself. Suffice to say, one console offers a sublime, beautiful, wondrous, joyful online experience, while the other is guff. I’ll leave it to you to try and work out which is which.

Look, I’m not saying I’m never going to play PS3 again, all I’m saying is it’s going to take something pretty special to get me to try and find the controllers and start up the thing.

Firstly, the 360 came out and is as close to perfect as you can get. Don’t get me wrong, I may be in the employ of Microsoft to write this column, but there is no way I’m taking dirty money.”

Who would ever think such a thing.

07:01 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I saw this report on T.V. yesterday, and it loses all reputibillity when they make it into a song.

07:03 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Console wars are getting retarded.

I saw two fucktards saying the DS has higher quality games than PS3 and 360 put together.

Comment by Raito
    17:16 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Post of the day.

06:51 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So Microsoft has Red, Sony has Yellow, but what about Nintendo?

08:22 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

theirs is yellow too, obviously...

Comment by yggr
    05:43 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>BBC
    >Impartial journalism
    laughingelfman.jpg

06:37 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There are plenty of perfectly legitimate criticisms that can be made against the PS3, but but faulty hardware is simply not one of them.

The console has its problems, but the thing is darn near indestructible.

Comment by GHS
    07:13 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder if Artefact just post these kinds of articles just to see how fast how big a troll war will occur.

07:37 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

didnt the guy write an article burning ms as well?

08:45 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If the PS3 is so good, why aren't you guys playing it now?

......

-.-

Comment by Exitium
    05:39 21/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Would the answer "I'm broke" be a good reason? Joking aside I really would play it if I could afford it,same for the 360 as they both have good games that I want to try.

08:51 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

360 fanboys = extremist christian
    ps3 fanboys = atheist

10:04 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

360 fanboys = extremist christian
    PS3 fanboys = extremist lolicon

PC = atheist

Comment by Exitium
    05:40 21/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What about Wii fanboys?

10:15 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Unvarnished truth.

10:49 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought DS fanboys = extremist lolicon

Of course, thats just going from my collection of demonloli punishing, witch molesting...

And given the ... uh... special attention of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

PS3 fanboys = extremist oppai jiggling

13:29 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PS3 is not extremist lolicon because Sony checks their games for inappropriate content. That includes loli's.

+ Their are more loli games on the pc.

07:41 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You do realise that Watchdog did a similar report on Xbox 360's failing? They aren't completely biassed. In fact a lot of articles on this site are more biassed towards the PS3.

08:47 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes watchdog did a similar report on 360's failing, but when PS3 is getting the buttrap PS3 fanboys like to cry moar.

07:46 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I live in the US, I own both a PS3 and a 360, and both are Japanese. I bought both in mid-2007. My 360 was manufactured in late-2006. My PS3 is a 60gb model, which are apparently the least reliable. My JP-360 got the RRoD about a year ago, MS repaired it for free (took about 1.5 weeks), and it's still under warranty. If my JP-PS3 were to get the YLoD, I seriously doubt Sony would accept it, and even if they did I'd have to pay $150 and I'd lose all my data. I'd much rather get the RRoD again than get the YLoD. I get a little nervous whenever I turn my PS3 on or whenever a PS3 game freezes. By contrast, I'm kinda hoping my JP-360 gets the RRoD again soon, so they'll renew my warranty.

Comment by SeriouslyWTF
    05:16 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Consoles are like vehicles, if you don't use them correctly they break down, or something happens to them. PS3, Xbox 360 and what not are no different, I am on my First Xbox 360 Elite Console still, and nothing has gone wrong with it but once, the only thing that happened with it was, it got hit by lightning, other than that I had to replace it, same with PS3, its working fine.

02:38 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lots of butthurt PS3 fans taking their time to strike back over the YLOD, funny that fixing it is almost EXACTLY THE SAME as the infamous RROD method..well, back then.

Comment by matrixdude
    02:25 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lee is yet another microsoft fanboy. the 360 isn't perfect douchebag, if it was perfect why would you need to make project natal? why would you have a RROD? why would you need to charge for online gaming? And obviously since you're employed by microsoft, your life is currently being paid by them so you are taking their money. If you weren't employed by microsoft then sure you'd have a point, but you don't.

Comment by Schrodinger
    02:30 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Luckily neither my PS3 or 360 have failed me.

Squaretrade released a PSF no to long ago on console reliability and found that PS3 failure rates are about 10% with the highest being DREs. While the 360's is about 23%. If they were to finally fix the RRoD issues (Big if), this would significantly drop to around 11-12%.

I just love how these threads always degrade into "I have never had that problem, so it doesn't exist!" or "Mines better than yours because that's the one mommy bought me". But I guess the author of these articles likes to start console wars.

Grow the fuck up, kids.

08:44 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Schrodinger is a pretty cool guy, he owns fanboys and doesnt afraid of anything.

02:30 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My PS3 is broken and my Xbox works fine.

04:26 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The irony of Artefact posting a story about personal bias in videogames...just wow.

05:06 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have never had any console break down on me...ever.

Comment by bboimarc
    02:55 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That is some BS seriously my ps3 that I purchase in November of '06 been through dust, power outage, and spillage, works like a charge, but I do clean it up once every two weeks. Not once had I gotten the "the yellow light of piracy/tampering". As far as that other system not gonna degrade myself here, but I got the the red light of doom about three time on the third I sold it on craigslist for $200 including the games.

02:58 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Artefact really love japan, he is like michael jackson with an asian skin job.

03:09 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sega Saturn ftw!!!!!

21:38 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There's this lady whom all the gamer guys call "onee-chan", she basically owns a chain of video game retail and rental shops.

The proof that RROD is a bigger problem with YLOD is that she has every single Xbox 360 water-cooled, while every PS3 is stock.

Then again, all the neon lights and dripping green water sort of make the Xbox 360 look cooler, in a way.

00:00 21/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Firstly, the 360 came out and is as close to perfect as you can get."

So why didn't launch Xboxs have HDMI?

Comment by El Chaos
    08:04 22/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They would have probably melted in half the time, producing twice as many court cases in the same time period.

Now that was an ace move, there.

Or at least adding a new, useful feature and expandng the backwards compatibility while offering some original Xbox games for download was a better idea than removing those flash card slots, SACD playback, the backwards compatibility and third-party OS support...

02:07 21/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Jesus Christ, If the articles were written without any bias in it, there would probably be 25% less Console war crap (including this post) flooding almost every single console related post.

Comment by GodOfSpeed
    02:20 21/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah that guy is stupid, read it over at neogaf and...i was thinking to myself, wtf is going on? lol

20:58 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"yellow Light of Death" just doesn't seem as cool as the "Red Ring of Death". If my system is going to crap out, I want it to sound cool. Ergo, I'll go with the XBox 360.

04:32 21/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The 360's architecture design is "as close to perfect as anyone could get", the manufacturing process (especially the lead-free solding policy) isn't.

Either way, it's still a much better videogame system than Sony's Blu-ray player.

11:55 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My Ps3 AND 360 are both fucked up. only systems still surviving is my Wii...

16:32 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope you have WiiConnect24 turned off. If you leave it on all the time, you run the risk of frying your Wii's GPU. Do a Google search for "WiiConnect24" if you don't believe me.

11:04 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like the 360 3-strikes-and-you-get-a-new-console warranty. On the chance its such a bodgie machine that it fails 3 times, they just send you a new one. Mine is just on strike 1 atm.

You never really hear much about the PS2 sales figures being propped up by people buying replacement consoles. No one really believes that its new people buying PS2s all the time, do they?

Comment by Hunger
    10:52 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn no slander please...Even the god's know what's truly the best when it comes to hardware stats.. There's no need for things such as online services to be attached when it comes to judging the hardware...
    Come on Microsoft..Just copy sony and you'll get your fucking equality.

16:01 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the more complex the console(s) the more that something can go wrong rough example Nintendo/super Nintendo/genesis and if it did not work you blow on the cartridge or hit the console i have all three and they all still work minus games with saving features as battery died

16:25 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

this is stupid

17:06 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

dude fuck, fuck xbox red ringed 3 times now...... no more cooking..... it IS NOT PERFECT.

13:30 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

MS Journalist getting desperate, they also became xbot fanboy like a 5 year old child

13:47 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Are you really that dumb?

The same journalist had a report on the 360's failing. It's been previously commented on and linked here in the comments.

14:43 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i'm dumb or not because of this matter? are you sure you not dumb yourself by setting this as a measure of dumbness?

still MS journalist are getting desperate.

14:00 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm gonna be extremely sincere now, and I really don't want to anger no one, and I'll say this one time only:

I really like Sankaku, it's the only irreplaceable blog on my blog list. It's content is unique, and a real break from reading tons of boring stuff everyday.

But for sometime now, for some reason, the bias against Microsoft, XBox 360 and other Microsoft related products has become somewhat of a crusade here.

I chose to completely ignore ALL posts that are related to Microsoft, specially when it comes to XBox 360.

There's been direct attacks, indirect attacks, posts blaming Microsoft for this or that, posts saying how PS3 is better than Microsoft, extremely shady statistics pointing out how XBox 360 is an awful console, and now even some supposed "Microsoft Journalist", once again pointing out those shady statistics, and once again with bias against Microsoft.

Now, I'm all for the loose posts we have on Sankaku, but I hate trolling and fanboyism.
    There is an essencial difference on posts like this one from all others, making lowblow accusations where the acused can't even defend themselves.

And I really fear for the day Sankaku starts relying more on unnecessary posts like this one than other stuff to get attention.

Please, don't go that way.

And let me say this too: I don't have any of the latest gen consoles, and if I decided to buy one today, it would be a Playstation 3.

But I'm really fucking tired of image boards, forums and other websites that feeds fanboys and trolls on a daily basis. And I really don't need another one.

For the sake of the readers, for the sake of Sankaku, and for the sake of whatever you are trying to do here, PLEASE, stop the Microsoft bashing campaign. No one profits from it. It'll only feed stupid haters, make Microsoft fanboys hate Sankaku, and make people who are neutral sad for what Sankaku has become.

I'm shure all commenters worth keeping will be grateful.

Of course Artefact and all other Sankaku writters has all the right to keep this campaign going on, it's their blog, and I have no right to decide what you'll be writting about. But it really makes me disappointed everytime I have to read stuff like this. It's journalism at it's worst (even considering this is a blog, not official news), which I'm frankly tired from reading in tons of different vehicles.

This is the last time I'll be commenting on a Microsoft bashing post, and I won't read any replies for obvious reasons.

Thanks for listening.

Comment by Artefact

Since you won't be reading the reply I suppose I'm free to tell you to get lost if the concept of skipping posts you don't like really is so alien to you.

10:22 07/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

He's not reading the reply because this article is the usual "Microsoft and Xbox are crap and Sony is awesome" post.