“I Made Mio into a Nineties Character”

90s-mio-akiyama

2ch’s resident artists were interested in what Mio might look like were she the otaku idol of the nineties or eighties, and soon turned their hand to rendering whole host of other characters into the anime art styles of yesteryear…

90s-ricchan
90s-nagi-sama
90s-lulu
90s-zetsubou
90s-characters
90s-ritsu

Finally, this interesting diagram shows the changes in body shape over the years:

anime-bodyshapes-through-the-ages

05:36 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

heck they look awesome, aside from Nagi i pretty much like all character in their retro style rendition.
    has art lost that much against technology and mas production?
    if so will soon be watching stick figures anime

05:39 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think older is better, gave me back my kid boners.

05:49 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think most of those look horrible, honestly.

Comment by Aero
    06:06 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No, I just don't like it sorry. The age where I watched 80's/90's anime has long since passed for me.

Comment by Anonynonynonymous
    05:54 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

KILL IT! KIIIIILLLLLLL IIIIIIITTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!11111

Comment by eonic
    04:44 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Great post. I miss the 90s.

04:44 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, 90's Louise is actually tolerable! And Lelouch doesn't look like a frog! That first Nagi is absolutely terrifying, though.

Overall, I think I like the new stuff better, (no one's skin is that shiny!) but it would be nice if it looked a little less flat...

05:17 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

is 2002 kagura of azumanga?

Comment by Guumii
    06:08 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yup...

08:32 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

konata only is saved because she's the same of now

09:25 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

90's Lelouche looks better lol

09:34 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ahh, sweet memories.
    There are certainly things I like better about modern animation (mainly the crispness of the digital work) but the character designs back then often had more personality to them--both in design and animation), and there were some very nice bodies.
    I was watching some old Urusei Yatsura episodes a few months ago and the expressiveness of the characters shames most of the modern animators. Modern character designs are so fixed it's hard for animators to have much fun with them. There are exceptions, of course--Maka from Soul Eater jumps to mind. And despite the limited animation, I've never seen a flying character that flies as convincingly as Lum, with her lightness and comfort in 3D space.

(Artefact, do you have a larger version of the body shape chart? I'd love to get a closer look at that.)

Comment by Fapping Time
    06:46 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

always did love me some old skool anime...

08:15 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They messed up Mio's eye size in my opinion but '90s' rittsu looks vasty superior, the overall look of all these re-works are actually more like late 80s (Gunnm / Gunbuster) rather than actual 90s style.
    To be honest I like this older style of more detailed faces and expressions a lot better than the current standard.
    Also, holy shit the reworked Louise is cute and I normally don't like her at all.

Comment by Lillith
    23:12 17/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I MISS THE 90'S ANIME BAAAW
    Really I do ;_;

23:48 17/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Noo!! Why the hell from all zetsuboushoujotachi, my Matoi has to be the victim!!

23:53 17/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol I like how Artifact calls his readers idiots and is aggressive towards us instead of sucking up to the vile scum that we all are like most blog sites do! good on u

21:09 17/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice comparsion.

21:26 17/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

still looks good, brings back memories too.

21:49 17/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't like 80s, mid 90s nor late 00s moe blob style, but instead the simplistic realism that started around 2002. Namely, getting rid of brightly colored pink, green, blue anime hair and using realistic black and browns. Flat colors with simple shading. Soft, crisp, thin pencil-like lines.

I'm talking about stuff like Haibane Renmei, Koi Kaze, and Aoi Hana. Shoujo-esque, but not quite (because of the focus on simplicity rather than whirly whispy details).

08:20 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You're forgetting the fact that their faces went flat for added realism.

22:50 17/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ironically enough, despite being stamped as the moeblob-est show in history, K-ON!'s character design (besides Mugi, but you can excuse her since she probably has western blood inside her) matches perfectly those that you mentioned..

14:54 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Indeed, those semi-realistic series are always the ones that hit me the hardest emotionally. I'm not distracted by shininess or insane colors, and the eyes, while not realistic, are only slightly bigger then usual. I think the lack of gimmicky look forces those series to rely more on good writing and story.

Not to mention, it's a lot more believable to hear a flat-colored, small-eyed, brown-haired girl say she's "just a plain, everyday girl" then some moe-moe blob or a shiny 90s chick with insane hair.

22:08 17/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyone else expecting Lelouch to look all 'Fist of the North Star'-ish in his pic? He looks even more like a woman in the 90s style!

For some reason, though, I find the 90s and 80s style cuter. I think it's the fact that the girls have, you know...NOSES.

08:19 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And they have lips too!

Comment by RiderFan
    21:58 17/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah the anime women of the 80's and early 90's. No "MOE~" but characters that looked great.

00:04 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck yes!!!!!
    DO WANT!!!!!

Comment by MusicalNote
    00:07 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm, I really think this article is interesting. If they'd fixed the freaking hand in the Mio pic, It would have almost made me want to give the series another chance.

A lot of them look better, though a few others looked horrible after it. I never really noticed how little shading the modern ones have until now... Though, I can't say I think the random lines on the face work for all of the characters.

Comment by Ukonkivi
    02:42 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't miss the 90s art style one bit.

06:37 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What does everyone see in those? I just really prefer the more recent style.

02:01 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is really interesting! Kudos to the folks that pulled this stuff off, especially since they did it so convincingly. You could probably trick younger fans with these..."You didn't know? K-ON! is a remake!"

Maybe someone will do 80's or 70's versions next?

03:01 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

how the hell the 80's version looks better than today's?

Comment by Carrie
    01:52 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I love seeing style changes like this... 2ch's residents are really impressive. They never cease to amaze me with what they can pull off. There's something curiously charming about those classic-styled eyes (the first Ritsu is especially lovely.)

01:22 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually like the 90's style better

01:44 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The formula for Sankaku Complex posting:

Step 1: Something is posted on /a/;

Step 2: Wait for a day;

Step 3: POst it here;

Step 4: Troll sum Xbox owners.

05:34 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Step 5: Profit!

Comment by Artefact

Whereas the formula for sad 4chan anons appears to be to think the world revolves around their petty boards and ignore any evidence to the contrary. You will just have to get over the fact I never visit 4chan and do not care what anyone there thinks, as hard as that might be for you.

21:08 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The hell, didn't the idea for sankaku start on /d/? Not to mention that you were quite keen to slip memes into your article titles in earlier times.

23:50 19/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

*Applause~*

Comment by Ribbons
    01:37 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh look, it made it better!

10:03 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Definitely looks more early 80s and less 90s... making me feel old I remember watching Urusei Yatsura when it was airing for the first time.. Just a warning to all the younger anime addicts out there once you're hooked there is no going back even when you start to get grey.

10:09 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The moe-degeneration that has been going on in recent years is definitely destroying anime.

01:38 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You know, I'd probably be able to watch Geass without vomiting if the characters look like that..

06:22 28/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They actually look better this way. :)

16:41 22/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know why most people here think that these designs are actually better than the original. They're boring at best. The over glossy eyes and chipmunk noses are step down instead of a step up. Anime looks better nowadays.

Also, moe existed before the boom. For example Hikaru from KOR or C-ko from Project A-ko. Yeah. Also there were Graduation and the like.

I'm glad the scratchiness is gone, it looks completely over gone. The only one that's kinda good his Ritsu and that's it.

Comment by hALOTOO
    14:00 22/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Mio face remind me of Kyoko(Maison Ikkoku)for some reason. Anyway 80,90 0r current any version is ok with me

03:27 22/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

...And then i realised, i'm not the only one who thinks the 80s 90s where superior in anime charadesign. MUCH. Fuck modern cg crap!

Comment by Tastes Like Anime
    11:16 28/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i dont like it! the original is better then this new nineties

20:34 28/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

At least it looks better....