Final Fantasy XIII Release Date Announced

final-fantasy-xiii-lightning

Official confirmation (by way of extravagant YouTube ads) of the release date of Final Fantasy XIII is finally forthcoming; the Japanese PS3 release will just scrape in before the end of 2009 as promised, coming out on December 17th, with pre-orders opening shortly.

The title is a “PS3 exclusive” in Japan, but else where both PS3 and Xbox 360 versions are due, with some suggesting that the late Xbox 360 port is contributing to the delayed international release, due in 2010.

The issue with the lack of Blu-ray on the Xbox 360 has also apparently been tackled, with the game promised as fitting on 3 DVDs, although understandably the developers are not forthcoming on whether anything significant will be changed between the two editions.

The trailer in case you need to be reminded just how pretty it looks:

Of course, with game marketing being what it is do not be surprised if the final version looks considerably less impressive.

15:14 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sure, it looks flashy and all. But it has lost the true spirit of the Final Fantasy franchise. It's just another ACT/RPG-ish game wrapped in Final Fantasy coating. They need to bring back the elements from FFVI.

14:25 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I cried when this went multiplat cause this isn't the FF I've been waiting for. I was hopeing to play something alot...bigger in terms of graphics and hours of gameplay not something that had to be degrated due to disc restraits of the 360. Shouldn't make things multiplatform if you gotta snip out things that could have made it a blockbuster title of the year if not all time. But meh Square has been doing pretty poor lately so i guess multi means more money for them. Lol guess they'll save some money for not making the japanese 360 version lol.

14:27 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have both systems by the way just wish these companies would help each other and only have one system like they did before but nope can't it's all about the damn Benjamin Franklin.

16:26 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Every final fantasy has it's own specialty. I think it still has it's elements. Square is entering all kinds of eras, past, present, future, hence "Fantasy"

18:20 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, more more exciting not to be missed!

Comment by GodOfSpeed
    18:01 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Haha i predict at least 200,000 units of PS3 sold in Dec cause of FFXIII. With those FFXIII bundles...damn~ :P

14:22 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol graphics and all looks nice but doesnt look like old ff animore...

14:10 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

agree, check out this microshit.

12:54 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

soooo pretty... O.o

12:51 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Thanks, microshit, for ruined final fantasy XIII (please read the next link) http://ps3.qj.net/Contrary-to-what-Square-Enix-would-have-us-believe-FFXIII-PS3-IS-compromised/pg/49/aid/134299

21:55 14/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah kinda sucks that those microsoft losers got to ruin it for the Ps3, PS3 Rules thanks for ruining it with your crappy platform

Comment by SnooSnoo
    11:25 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

FFIX Garnet > FFXIII Lightning >:D

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    14:07 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I dont get why they put it on 360, i know no body who has a 360 that even wants to buy FF13

13:33 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's 'cause 360 owners have Lost Odyssey already, which is better.

13:58 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

quite disappointed on the graphic, anyhow its still a iconic RPG title on PlayStation.

14:08 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

agree, check out this shit lol

00:42 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There really is no point to a 360 version I mean most ppl that own the system probably won't even buy this game. All the 360 version did for us is fuck us over,no japanese audio, no demo and later release date. Oh yeh and the 360 version is going to be on more then one disc LOL Square just wanted more money in the process it just fucks us all over.

05:24 10/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually I think they just did it for teh lulz.

And the 360 version is a port (i.e. developed after the original version has already been finished), it doesn't affect the original PS3 version in any way whatsoever, so you can just stop your utterly wrong train of thought.

00:51 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lucky you. If you're not into MMO, you might not considered yourself unlucky for missing 11. On the 12 is quite a huge deviation from the usual FF storyline. Plus a shabby fighting system.

05:34 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

12 was fun, but i agree. the fighting system was...interesting to say the least.

21:13 11/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Eng dub will torture me. Might as well buy the JP version and NA version. Death to 360!

16:41 28/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Imagine lost odessey has 4 dvds and final fantasy 13 is definitely bigger than LO so im guessing ff13 on 360 will have either also 4 or 5 dvd lmao

05:17 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

FUCK 360 for killing japanese voice option in ps3!!

21:54 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Then FUCK PS2 for killing japanese voice option in both FFX and FFXII (dunno 'bout the craptacular XI).

05:17 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yeaaaa
    have fun with ur 3 dvds

13:37 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Have fun with your slow Blu-ray drive.

22:07 14/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Still better storage and graphic gameplay could be programed w/o running low on memory in the Microcrap version so i will i will

05:07 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Cant wait for this game should be amazing like all the rest of the games.

01:32 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Tell me which console has the most ANIME rpgs? I checked the 360 and it has jrpgs but with the exception of Vesperia it's mostly non-celshaded "westernized" characters. The reason Final Fantasy is so popular is because it has the most 'realistic' looking characters to appeal to westerners.

I won't be surprised if a handheld like the DS has the best anime jrpgs this gen. Gimme my cliche 2D characters, literally and figuratively dammit.

13:36 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just how far did you check? How did you miss the likes of Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon?

13:16 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Garbage. Should be called Final Mech Assault: The Return of Halo. Seriously, where the fuck is the supposed fantasy? I remember when SquareSoft & Enix actually made good rpgs, with intricate stories and wonderous worlds... Then the bastard child SquareEnix was born, and things have degenerated into this. Flashy; but with no heart just like everything else in this rotten world.

13:27 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Welcome to the business world....

05:20 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Same here, X was the last one I completed. Didn't bother with X-2, XI's not counted, and I never managed to finish XII...

Think I will hold off this one for a while...

Comment by JadeMatrix
    05:18 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

One day I'll get around to playing the FF games. One day. Maybe when I'm bored.

Random — already saw FFXIII sword replicas being sold, at a Renaissance Festival of all places. They looked cool, for like ~$25, but then I saw the branding...

05:17 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Only for the superior PS3 Slim.

RRoD 360 consoles that kill themselves need not apply.

07:08 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry, my 360 is watercooled. I won't ever get the RROD, up yours Sony fanboy.

09:54 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I could be fun if u ever got a RROD..... it can happpen!

05:23 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Dingus Sezs:

I've lost much hope in Japanese Role Playing ever changing their feathers in concept and design. The bright shining dream was shown to me when I saw the first "Live" gaming of 'White Knight' where you actually saw both npc opponents and yourself react to hits!.. when you got hit and not afterward! Then I saw later that you could change the look of you character too! My excitment grew and grew! What else would be revealed in the later months where...

Sadly trite. Just another JRPG.

My reactions to the original FF13 commercial I saw at TGS was just mixed. I knew what was being shown was just video and Not the actual game and as more where released, my expectations dropped.

Just another JRPG again.

The only way I'd ever be tempted to be remotely excited again in regards to this is when the character designs Look ANIME instead of sorta-likes. Japanese designers will get the hint some day in the decades from now that maybe, Just maybe. They can make an Japanese styled ANIME RPG with the "mature" story telling that they've always been whining about.. forgetting that they've been doing this fucking shit since the 8-bit ERA!!!!

RRoDers can have this with all the trimmings of crap they'd ever wanted to waffle this down with.

06:55 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"They can make an Japanese styled ANIME RPG with the "mature" story telling that they've always been whining about"

You've never heard of the Shin Megami Tensei or Persona series have you?

07:13 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

SMT: Nocturne, by far one of the best J-RPG's if not best to be created.

19:56 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So true.
    I have only played a few Japanese rpg on Gamecube (like Tales of Symphonia or Baten Kaitos) but there was already a huge deja vu in this trailer for me.

Comment by nocturne
    09:56 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Atlus makes some quality RPGs, but I still don't think any Japanese RPG developer has been able to top the level of immersive storytelling some old American PC RPGs have been able to muster. Planescape: Torment, for example, felt so refreshing for its time, with believable dialogue, a protagonist you aren't really meant to care for but do anyway, and a myriad of visual and aural nuances that really pull you into the game world. Every new Japanese console RPG I play feels awfully familiar to some other Japanese RPG I played a few months/years before - especially in terms of its characters and plot elements. The most immersive Japanese games I've ever played aren't RPGs, but action-oriented games (see Ico, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill). Aside from steering away from the old "menu-battle + mountain of dialogue/cutscenes" gameplay that I've become somewhat bored of, they have stories I consider more interesting, which happen to have the charm of being presented in a better way.

07:56 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

OH GOD AFK PLAYING NOCTURNE RIGHT NOW.

Comment by Y10NRDY
    05:30 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

looks freaking awesome. you know we're ALL playing this thing through at least once when it comes out.

06:26 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Adoro las voces japonesas.

Lo quiero yaaaaa

05:38 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Do want. Man, if only I had a PS3...

Comment by notanother4non
    08:35 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wait for a pc version, and if your pc is good enough(like mine) quality will be a lot better than ps3

07:44 09/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

they make PC versions?

21:49 14/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

no the pc version will be different -_-

Comment by motaku96
    05:00 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So beautiful. And Lightning looks badass.

05:09 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

*wait for the game to check whether her ass is bad or not* ~shrug~