PS3 Slim in Detail: Xbox Killer?

ps3-slim-2_0

Sony’s longed for PS3 Slim has been greeted rapturously, with the console topping pre-order charts at retailers in the Japan and US alike. Extensive details on the design of the device have become available, and are visible below.

The unit in detail:

ps3-slim-3_0
ps3-slim_1
ps3-slim-10_0
ps3-slim-7_0
ps3-slim-4_0
ps3-slim-8_0
ps3-slim-6

The unit goes from 325×274×98mm at 5kg to 290×290×65mm at 3.2kg. Running noise is also decreased.

The PS3 Slim is due September at $299.

2ch pokes fun at all the progress the Xbox 360 has made over the years:

DVC00006

Sony on the other hand has been busy, perhaps out of desperation:

ps3-slim-ps3-fat-comparison
ps3-slim-ps3-fat-comparison-2

A direct comparison of the three models:

ps3-slim-xbox-360-comparison-4
ps3-slim-xbox-360-comparison-2
ps3-slim-xbox-360-comparison-3

Microsoft’s next move is not clear; globally it has sold 31 million units as compared to the PS3’s 23 million, but with no new model available and prices already low, it may have difficulty immediately answering the PS3’s challenge with anything but its more extensive software lineup.

Microsoft also apparently denies any intent to cut prices to compete, though it is hard see what other option they might have…

06:46 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

299 Euro or 299$ !!!!

Good speech: Europe bla bla Europe bla bla and than they tax 50% more for it in EU!

Comment by DieHardjagged
    06:48 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anonymous said:
    299 Euro or 299$ !!!!

Of course Europe will at least pay 50% more.
    You know this. BULLSHIT. I bet on this.

08:23 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

stop your bitching we in a Australia have to pay AUD$500.

oh wait that's about 300 euro....nevermind, to hell with this, I'm buying mine for 30K yen, online. ALL HAIL FREE UNREGULATED MARKET!

Comment by ChaosAngelZero
    06:39 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, no high definition-capable AV cables included yet, Sony? No superior-looking multiplatform releases, yet? No actually relevant titles available stateside or in Europe, yet?

... lol, "Xbox-killer" alright.

Comment by Rephin
    16:46 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Microsoft is also removing HD cables from the packaging. That includes that nifty composite+component cable.

The rest of your comments are opinion. But hey, enjoy your composite cables, guy. >.>b

Comment by ChaosAngelZero
    22:33 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow... didn't know 'bout that, both Xbox's official site and GameStop don't say anything about the change in the SKU.

Thanks for the heads-up, Rephin. Nos, this is a particularly stupid move from MS; if they wanted to lower costs they could remove just the HDMI one, but the composite/ component one? They probably aren't saving more than 5 bucks on those.

The rest of my comments are most people's opinions, go check Metacritic's and GameRanking's score tables for each system and Eurogamer's/ Digital Foundry's comparatives if you don't believe me.

Comment by Rephin
    22:13 22/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Most people's" opinions are still just that - opinions. If you only own an XBox 360, or only own a PS3, I seriously doubt that you're going to care whether or not the 360 adds an extra layer of AA to the image thanks to the +10MB of extra memory or the freeform 512MB of RAM. Most non-extreme gamers won't care, as long as the experience they get is as fun and enthralling as it is on the other system. IGN and Gamespot can give a +0.3 extra to the score between multiplats, but seriously, what does "this game is 0.3 better than the other game" equate to realistically?

The fact of the matter is, the PS3 has eliminated one of the biggest complaints about it, the price, and MS has dropped its Pro model and priced its Elite to compete with the price drop. This is simply going to turn into a war of system features, exclusives, and upcoming games. It will be interesting to see what happens to Sony, if this announcement is going to be the huge shot in the arm it needed to catch up. Maybe Microsoft's Natal project will ensure Sony's 3rd place finish. Maybe the lure of a $299 Blu-ray and game system will push the PS3 closer to the 360's watermark. This has become an interesting battle between the HD gaming systems, and I can't wait to see what happens at the end of this year.

Comment by ChaosAngelZero
    00:40 23/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It is an interesting console wars, indeed... and, rather ironically, you give very precise information about why the PlayStation 3 is conceptually inferior to the Xbox 360 in your above response: the war between these two machines is purely a technical one. Sony promoted the PS3 as the ultimate high definition platform, and gave it an appropriately high price tag. Microsoft developed a games console and the vast majority of its catalog runs at a higher resolution than PS3's does, hence (whether you want to admit it or not, that's your poorly-absed opinion) the 360 is a more powerful and better console, period.

No matter if you are or aren't a so-called "extreme gamer" (?), that extra layer of antialiasing is there to tesify the 360's superiority (to say the least, most of the time it's "extra AA + higher resolution + less bugs and glitches + more on-screen effects + higher framerate", so it isn't quite that small a difference overall). So there.

And the most valuable thing you can get in this world is a well-founded opinion, since cold and hard "facts" are but perceptions of our senses, hence also a kind of opinion.

Comment by koga88
    06:15 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not trying to flame, but why is backwards compatibility such a huge buying issue for many people? Did they throw out their ps2's when they bought the ps3? Or is it the allure of playing ps2 games on the ps3?

I have each system, and when I need to play something for the Ps2, I just go play it on the ps2.

That's one thing I never quite understood about people who want it backwards compatible. Especially if they already had the previous system.

09:06 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I am just speaking for myself but PS2 compatibility is a nice bonus since I never had a PS2.
    If I am going to get MGS4 then I want to play MGS1,2 and all the other spin offs before.
    That is more or less the reason I hope the PS3 gets backwards compatibility, to play the games I didn't get to play and specially those of long franchises.

Getting a PS2 wouldn't be hard, its available online and its not expensive or one of my friends could just lend me one but thats not the thing.
    Having backwards compatibility would be just cooler.

Comment by Alexcampos
    06:31 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

OH YES, I've totally forgotten how much better PS3 is than Xbox 360....

What's the point of buying the PS3 slim, when the console still sucks, provides very few quality games, and to be perfectly honest the PS2 is STILL a better buy.

Comment by k-zumi
    06:32 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just 299? Holy crap :D

06:37 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Pig disgusting Matte finish. If a firmware update with BC comes out for ALL PS3's, I'll hunt for a PS3 fat instead.

08:18 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My ps3 has a ps2 backward compatibility, it's called "ps2 slim stacked in the same shelf"

09:03 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just fuck 360 got it?

Comment by GREW
    07:57 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

One thing is sure:
    The new ones platsic looks bad!
    I like the sinky balck from my old one.

But I'm still disappointed from the PS3.
    I like my 360 more.

Comment by mi
    07:56 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and here i am still waiting for the modchip

Comment by bolt
    07:19 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well if i didn't have one i'd get this... but i do.. so till it dies (hopefully, not for awhile), i'm fine with my old 60GB.

hope thy fixed the heating problem...

Comment by Ramong
    04:06 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Additionally, new firmware has been hinted at for release (to all PS3s) before the year is out, finally offering full PS2 compatibility, though Sony now denies this (just as they denied the existence of the Slim, strangely enough)."

Now IF we get PS2 compatibility then I would no longer just consider to buy it, but would DEFINALY buy it :D

Comment by The_Real_TRUE_GOD
    03:49 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PS3 not chipped = BIG FAIL !

Comment by Reaver
    03:43 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Funny how Sony is always insecure about it's weight ^_-

04:07 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Old PS3:
    Pros | Cons

OtherOS| Old
    OtherOS| Fat
    OtherOS| Ugly
    -----------------
    Slim PS3:
    Pros | Cons:

Slim | No OS
    Less Power Hoar | No OS
    120gb HDD | First Batch Malfunction

I think Older PS3 is still better?

Comment by 3v3angel
    04:50 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why don't they make these things in first place?
    It's like with every damn console now...like nintendo ds, ds lite, ds-i. They clearly do seem to have the technique beforehand and when the first version won't sell enough, the put out the "new" model...right...I'll definately wait now for that USB-direct to brain plug...

06:04 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Except for Xbox

Comment by Fonzer
    05:28 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hmm good marketing plan ?
    Well sega failed,unless they really release something like dreamcast 2 in 2010.
    So this probably happens becouse the technic gets cheaper so it's easier to produce it with a lower price.
    Don't know about other,people get ideas to sell stuff?

Comment by teri
    04:59 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Very ugly. Almost disgusting.

06:07 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Console retards will eat this BCless shit up.

Comment by EspadaKiller
    15:15 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Tell me which will you guys buy?

PS3 Slim, $299 USD (120GB, Wifi, Blu-ray Drive, lesser problems)
    Xbox 360, $299 USD (60GB, no Wifi, DVD Drive, high rate of RROD)

??? What's the obvious choice? lol...

Of course the PS3 Slim will kill the 360, now it's a real competition, both consoles at the same price, it will be fun to watch the sales now :D

02:58 23/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The obvious chose is both systems.

Comment by Finem
    04:20 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Does PS2 compatibility equate to PS1 compatibility? My friend has one of the old PS3's and can play all three generations of games, but will the new ones have the same range?

To the person who wonders why compatibility is so important: Your PS2 won't last forever, I'm on my third and I'd rather be able to keep playing my favorite games while keeping up with the next gen than having to maintain both current and old consoles. In addition, my current PS2 can't play PS1, so if I can get a fully Backwards Compatible PS3, I can finally finish FF IX.

00:56 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I dont give a shit...I got my pc

Comment by D3L
    22:01 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought It was the RROD that kills the ex-boxes?

02:57 23/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My take on this whole PS3 slim frenzy is, "big freaking deal." I find it depressing that a redesigned system that pretty much operates just like the old one generates so many pre-orders. This just proves to me that consumers are idiots that are far too willing to part with their money. I see no reason to purchase a ps3 slim unless my existing ps3 coughs up its own guts.

Comment by gharra
    17:48 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOOKS SHOPPED

10:41 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Cool...now that I can afford this my Valkyria Chronicles copy is going to see the light... the 160GB model price here was $1000 and the 80GB $950...living in the end of the world sucks! (if I get lucky the slim price will be $500).

Comment by Dead Men tell no tales
    09:36 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why would anyone get the old PS3 vs the slim? Wll I dont see any way to chage out the HDD for the slim, so you are stuck with a 120gb just like the 360 VS my 500gb old PS3.

Comment by Rephin
    18:59 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The HDD bay is right under the Blu-ray disc drive.

Comment by H.exe
    09:45 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

oh shi- i clicked the pre-order button

Comment by plmko
    13:28 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The Xbox will get a price cut in the form of the Elite being priced as a Pro.

Comment by kajunbowser
    14:16 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anonymous said:
    I’ll buy one the second they have backwards compatibility again.

This.

Comment by Wandering_Youth
    14:23 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice. I've been waiting 2 years for the PS3 to mature and also for a slim version to come out. I guess it's finally time I get myself a PS3.

14:38 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck u Sony
    why didn't you just release this "Slim" in the first place ?

14:46 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh PS3, oh PS3, when will you get some (quality) titles out there?

And by that I mean some good ol-fashioned JRPGs? Where is your trademark (or at least near-to-launch) FF, oh PS3? Where is your gazillions tactic RPGs, oh PS3? Where are your strategy games?

Oh, wait - it has Disgaea3 - and it's slim - I go buy 5 of them, right now.

If this console ever makes it up to it's hype and its' family crest, then perhaps... Just perhaps.

Comment by ErrorProxy
    14:03 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There's only 2 usb slots?

Comment by ravaholm
    13:40 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

From George Foreman Grill to Breville Toasted Sandwich Maker. I'd rather get the George Foreman.

Comment by Kelly
    13:58 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What next? PS4? then PS4 Slim? PS5? PS5 Slim? or PS5 XX X-tra Slim x 10^999999?

Comment by Kelly
    13:59 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

One more, i don see the need in being slim or light, no matter how small they are, they'l still be in the house, no ones aint gonna bring em' round =.= Sony, stop making consoles and start making game!!!

03:40 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The XBOX 360 isn't sexy, but the Slim is just ugly. Kind of disappointing.

Comment by yggr
    00:36 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

$299? That's just a little bit more expensive than a PSP Go. With this kind of price-cutting, I'd want to have one too.

Comment by fxc2
    00:30 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope this one has a better cooling system. The fat PS3 turns my room into a god damn sauna everytime it's on for over 3 hours.

00:33 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PS3 sucks! Period! :D

03:53 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Troll harder.

Comment by MeidoNiac
    00:34 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

At least give some (specific and logical) reasons, dude.

00:38 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well... because it sucks! :D

No, seriously: Very few good exclusive games... --> Good reason it sucks IMO!

00:41 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh! I forgot something! Another reason
    It got a stupid ass controller. That thing is the same ever since PS1 and it just sucks! It just feels wrong in your hands.

Comment by MeidoNiac
    01:09 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Still not specific enough. You really sound like a Lolcat trying hard to flame in English.

I'm not even a PS fag but i can say the controller has always been good since PSX; it's symmetrical, the buttons are well put and i don't need to twist and extend my thumbs just to reach some "misplaced" buttons and sticks.

Comment by InfiniteNine
    01:12 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Your argument is very unconvincing here considering you don't quite seem so sure yourself of why it "sucks." Your backtracking just seems like your trying to grasp for more and failing.

Controller is a matter of preference really, and it really can be remedied as an attachment makes 360 controllers usable on the PS3 as 3rd party controller options available that mimic the 360 controllers very well. Most complaints of the controller seem to come from people with bigger hands though, so I can see why the 360 controller might be for them.

That said having owned a PS3 for a couple of months I can say for sure that it has a good number of worth while exclusives to consider a purchase. I definitely didn't regret my purchase, and don't let fanboys sway your opinion and research things on your own to find what YOU like.

02:43 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what has the japanese army to do with it?

02:43 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It doesnt fit in your hands cuz your hands are only used to fapping over Yaoi, stop it and you will once again enjoy a PS3 controller ;)

02:16 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh wow...as soon as somebody flames the PS3 everybody wants to here arguments supporting you statements.

If you look at the other threads, as soon as somebody calls the 360 a piece of shit, everybody shouts in unison yeah man piece of shit sucks.

God fucking PS3 fanboard...it's almost as bad as SDF and /v/ here.