Xbox 360 Failure Rate 54%

rrod-tan

The dread Red Ring of Death has long been a feature of Xbox 360 ownership, but a recent survey reveals the shocking truth: the console boasts a failure rate of 54.2%, compared to 10.6% for the PS3 and 6.8% for the Wii.

Microsoft of course never releases statistics on its returns rate, so it has taken a third party survey to uncover the apparent rate. In this case, rag Game Informer surveyed 5,000 readers, asking them about the failure rates of the consoles they owned.

Microsoft’s notorious customer support and warranty system (the subject of a class action lawsuit which forced them to extend Xbox 360 warranties) also come in for criticism: the average turnaround for one of the broken consoles was nearly a month, whilst Nintendo and Sony managed a week. Satisfaction with Microsoft’s support was also a good deal less than with the others.

However, Microsoft’s blasé attitude to the pathetic reliability of its console appears justified: only 3.8% of Xbox 360 owners would never buy another Xbox because of failure.

Via Game Spark.

Comment by Schrobby
    05:26 19/08/2009 # ! Good (+0.4)

Fuck consoles, use PC. You have one anyway, why not play with the damn thing?

Question: But... the newest games don't run with my 14 months old PC!
    Answer: Don't buy shit with ridiculous requirements.

If those "uber games" don't sell they won't be created. A simple example of supply and demand.

I always used my PC for gaming and will do so in the future. My one and only console was a prehistoric atari. I see no requirement at all for additional unneeded devices.

Heh, I already hear console freaks screaming in agony and / or rage...

Comment by Barbarian of Gor
    02:08 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"Read no book under a year old"

I apply that to videogame systems. I wait till they are "Obsolete" and all the buggy systems have made it to the trash, then I swoop down to the pawn shop and pick up a complete system and a lot of cheap games for less than half the "Entry Level" price of a new system.

I'm having a blast with an original X-Box (crashes once in a while, but works), PS2 and GameCube. Have a PS1 also. Had a NES, SNES, N64 and DreamCast, but those got stolen when my apartment was burglarized. Oh, well, emulators work great for the first two, didn't like N64 that much. Miss DreamCast bad, might re-buy that.

BTW-I do electronics as a hobby (a job sporadically) and I guestimate this X360 problem is heating. Too many components packed in too small a space, plus some "Overclocking" to make cheaper components work harder. If I had such a device I'd set up a cooling system for it. Like a air conditioner in another room (or noise baffled otherwise) with the cold air forced through the system with a gravity fan.

But I think they'll eventually get too high a bill for the repairs and since they are 'too big to fail' and their system sells like mad, they'll eventually work out the heating bugs and so I'll be able to get one near the end of the system's life that'll work great.

Comment by TheBudds
    06:55 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Schrobby said:
    I kinda understand, but istn’t cheating on consoles possible as well?

well some games yeah ( COD4 comes to mind for both PS3 & XBOX360 ) PSP is pretty bad, but that's something different.

Alot of the stuff I'm talking about was actually seen as perfectly fine, even in competitions. I used to play RTCW on PC ( best version ) and I remember reading this one guy's guide about turning off various graphical effects ( snow, rain, lighting, etc ) because it's to hard for him to see ( BOO-HOO )

I once saw what it looks like with all the stuff allowed in competitions. It was horrible, all the textures were gone ( players, environment, set-pieces ) Everything was a flat solid color.

That's what got me to leave PC online, I never needed any of that to play good.

Comment by Jeebus Chreest
    07:05 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Kinda funny how people talk about consoles in terms of failiure reat and how much content are on them.

Remember when consoles used to be solid as a rock and have an awesome selection no matter what console it was? (im talking bout anything that came before the PS3 360 and Wii in case you didn't notice)

06:54 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Mine is almost at 2 years and I have had no problems with it. I will just assume that 54% of 360 owners don't take care of their system well.

Comment by TheBudds
    06:40 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anonymous said:
    Well, I’ve never had any problems with my 360 and love it. So, ah well, fuck it.

Indeed... honestly though, every electronic device has it's problems. The RROD problem is real, but the ones who said they have theirs still working is real as well. Along with the YLOD being very real as well.

Comment by TheBudds
    05:48 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Schrobby

Well, what got me to switch over to console playing ( was a PC gamer ) was the fact I was into FPS games. I used to get kinda miffed at people running scripts, binds, turning off graphics ( I have a friend who did this ) So it turned me off from playing online on the PC. I play on consoles to get away from that type of thing.

Short version... I blame some PC players for me switching to consoles.

Comment by Schrobby
    06:36 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I kinda understand, but istn't cheating on consoles possible as well?

Comment by Neferius
    03:36 09/09/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

so you bought a console because the MMO you were playing was lousy at banning cheaters?
    ...
    SeemsLegit™

Comment by ragingsherbert
    06:24 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I've never had any problems with my 360 and love it. So, ah well, fuck it.

Comment by Ukonkivi
    10:40 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My Wii is good for more things than the haters would like to think.>:D

Comment by msgundam2
    11:01 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

this reminds me me 360 is starting to act up again. I had to send it in 2 times so far.

Comment by taishi tetora
    10:21 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

never buy after ROD?
    count me in . . . . .

Comment by Hakurei
    05:03 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

54% Fail rate?
    Well this IS Microsoft we're talking about here.

09:31 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

if my 460 broke id replace it. if my ps3 broke i woudnt

09:54 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

waaaaaaa 360 really suck man.fail rate is so high.Man fuk off lah asshole 360.

07:40 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Have a launch 360 that still works.

Sure is sensationalist in here.

Comment by ashiguru
    04:49 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I got the red ring,however, I thought the customer service was actually pretty good. My console was a used model off of ebay. They honored warranty with no trouble and got the console back to me in about 7 days.

02:04 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Heh. I'm on my 3rd right now, and a friend is on his 4th. I already own a PS3, so if they ever decide not to repair my console I'd simply deal strictly with my PS3. The sucess of this system does mark peoples apparent lack of intellegence. We buy a system in mass that we know has a damn good chance of failing, thus we are supporting a defective product.

Comment by Wrathful Sin
    02:15 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't get what all the trouble is, sides a slight hour long glitch from when my friend dropped my 360 by accident I've never had a problem with it yet, and i've had it for almost 2 years now (had it since christmas of 07)

Comment by Schrodinger
    01:06 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Here are the systems that gave me any trouble:

NES- Pins wouldn't read games (in fact, I have two NES)
    PS2- Well taken care of, got a DRE outside warranty.
    PS3- Got my self on of those fancy Yellow Light of Death errors, Dished out $150 to repair it.

My friends are pretty surprised that my 360 is still alive and kicking after all these years.

It's the luck of the draw, I suppose.

Comment by Angelworks
    02:41 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Makes me wonder what environment some of these machines are in.

I still have my *launch day* xbox 360 and it still runs just fine and has never had any issues. The only annoyance is the loud dvd-rom drive - which have been long since fixed in subsequent versions.

Comment by HaLfCrAzE
    03:55 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Im still on my first one and i got it the day it came out. Never had a problem with it.

Comment by teri
    04:38 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Stop trolling fuckers, since the RROD is epic win for every Xbox-Owner. Cause you'll get a warranty extension and free time of Xbox Live Gold Membership!

Comment by Necromas
    03:27 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If this 54% number is true, then I must be one lucky son of a bitch because out of the 5 people I know in person with an xbox 360, none of theirs has failed, and neither has mine.

If the 54% number is true, there is a 0.95% chance of this happening.

12:11 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So a poll of 5000 random fucktards is now official data.

Yeah no. I don't think these damn things should be failing at all, but I doubt it's truly up to 54%

Comment by …
    12:20 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

On my 2nd Xbox360 as well.
    First one just blew up. Well the A/C adapter that is. Never encountered the red ring of doom though.

Comment by Largie
    23:58 23/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Also most of the ps3 games are released in lower quality then the 360, games are usually developed for the 360 thus look better and usually are the only version to come out in true HD. dont believe me? look on the back of the box sometime, of Resident Evil 5, check what does it broadcast at.

Comment by Chad
    06:04 25/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I truly do despise Microsoft's XBOX fanbase. The player base has always been accused by many as being the "binge drinking frat boy demographic which is a nice way of saying they are complete dumbasses with too much tetosterone. The proof is in the pudding, and in this case, the pudding is the fact that the hardware is not only the worst hardware on the market, but also among the worst consoles ever created. And the only justification among its userbase for the blind loyalty is that PS3's game library sucks because it doesn't have Gears of War or Halo... XBOX loyalists define the term: epic fail!

04:36 29/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The Xbox 360 fanbase is filled with nothing but frat boys playing Halo all the time and buying new 360s when their own one reaches the point of RROD critical mass. I will never, ever buy a Xbox 360, because I know that its bound to get RROD'd sometime soon, the PS3 is better, and its a FACT because stability should always be a #1 priority for gamers. If you want to keep pouring hundreds of dollars/wait for weeks on end just for a library(more money to spend!) of games, then fine just trying to save you the money and frustration...mindless zombies...

It amazes me how many developers are switching over to the 360 instead of the PS3. Cash cow much? If only PS3 had more developers willing to take risks to get more PS3 owners... Game development and quality is a waste of time on the 360 because Microsoft can't even make a quality console...

04:41 29/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They found out the cause to the RROD, why not fix it and re-manufacture them? I know why, because they want people to shell out more cash for warranties! Microsoft continues profiting billions, no loss! The 360 had so much potential too...

23:07 23/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

my ps1(small white) 9 yrs.
    my ps2 10 yrs
    my 360_1 1 1/2 yr
    my 360_2 6mos

granted the 360s were gifts, as i wouldn't buy shoddy hardware. i cannot deny the awesome games tho.

03:09 23/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A couple of questions:

How accurate is this survey from a single readership?
    How is the failure rate of the XBOX 360 compared to the XBOX?

My personal story is rather undramatic. I have a 1.0 XBOX that I purchased new on November 15th 2001, and it still works just fine. I also have two XBOX 360 units (one domestic and one import) and with the exception of the hard drive on the domestic unit emitting strange high pitched beeps, it works fine. My PS2 and PS3 also work fine. The only full console failure I have ever had was my original PS2 launch-day unit.

Comment by momoのキラー
    12:59 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

TheBudds said:

Nice list, salamander... was that a side-scrolling shooter?

Ahh! Those multi-cart games, I remember you could also do that with the PS1. It required you to strip out stuff to make it fit all on one disk though LOL

yes the side scrolling two player shooter, i can't imagine how i could play those game again and again repeatedly, i must be partially insane to be doing that.

oh ps2 also have those multiple games in one dvd cause i've got a couple of it.

14:48 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If the amount of complete 360 failure equaled that of Wii and PS3, the # of units sold would be almost half what it is currently. Thus, making MS tied with PS3. (8 mill)

11:45 28/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Im still on my fist 360. Had it the day they came out. I think most of the problems happend because people put aftermarket cooling onto there consols. Anyone remember the roumor that the 360 had shitty cooling? I had an aftermarket fan system on mine. I got the red ring of death about 2 years after i had it. Well i took that aftermarket cooling system off and presto. Works like the day i bought it. Not a single problem yet. I also like the 360 controler WAY better that PS3 thig. . .

12:43 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@ all you people talking old systems, I have an atari that still works just fine.

The 360 is a pretty good system (especially if you think blu-ray is overrated). Mine's been going pretty good now for about 3 years now, and even though it doesnt always want to read disks, it still runs most of them. I know it'll die soon though.

11:43 25/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What you people don't seem to realize is that this is all planned and is part of a completely unethical way to combat piracy.

By having ridiculously high failure rates, most would-be modders and crackers have some serious second-thoughts, as doing anything interesting to the hardware voids the warranty and stops them from getting a replacement.

If their actual buyers get caught in the crossfire is of no concern to Microsoft.
    After all, their sole reason for existence is to MAXIMIZE PROFIT AT ALL COSTS.

The usual "you'd do it too if you were them" comments are appreciated-- always fun to watch someone admit they're a spineless pile of scum by expecting their own ethical standards from everyone else.

09:54 27/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have had 2 xboxs in 2 years and they both have died on me. I finally purchased a Playstation 3 and so far so good. I would never buy another xbox, period!!!!!!!!!!!!

02:38 24/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i've had 4 xbox 360's and i'm finally giving up and buying a ps3

23:44 25/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My two cousins are in the same state of mind as you. they only live five minutes away and one of them is on their third xbox and the other one is on their sixth. the warranty was able to cover them for a while. but it seemed every time they get the refurbished xbox from the warranty it seems to be a degraded version of their original.

so in the end they've got so much frustration now that they're looking at the ps3 more and more. Now with the price drop their begging their parents for a good Christmas present.

Comment by ChaosAngelZero
    07:43 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like Microsoft didn't get too many new customers with their Jasper-based systems, which are 98% RRoD-free, hence the markedly high failure rate.

Thankfully it's all right to get one now... and I have this hunch that it's also gonna get even cheaper before holidays.

Comment by DieHardjagged
    14:47 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Xbox 360 fail is FAIL.
    At least the MS Support acts nice.
    Never had a Problem with ANY Nintendo/Sony Console btw..

15:28 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

another article to prove Xbox sucks, cheap ass microsoft and another glorious victory for PS3 owners

Comment by gunzaku
    13:38 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i heard from my friend, an owner of a game console shops who sell xbox, he warned me that if i play a xbox, don't ever play it > 4 hrs. that is the secret to keep it playable for a long long time...

Comment by Gradation
    12:59 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My brother is already on his 9th xbox...

Comment by momoのキラー
    19:46 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

TheBudds said:

A fellow gamer ( gets all teary-eyed ) What's some of classic Snes games you like?

well the most i've played last time would be

1. salamander (with the options following the tail, i heard they use different name for other countries)
    2. contra
    3. 1942 / 1945 (kimg5 cheat to level 43)
    4. mario 3
    5. shit, can't remember already.

but the best things was when the technology start advancing and the game start coming out 2 in 1, 8 in 1 and lastly i remember 1000 or 2000 in one.

Comment by TheBudds
    19:29 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

momokiller said:

sure, in an 8 in 1 cartridge. just hope my mom haven't throw all of it to the trash bin.

up up dn dn left right legft right AB

Comment by TheBudds
    20:24 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

momokiller said:

Nice list, salamander... was that a side-scrolling shooter?

Comment by momoのキラー
    19:21 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

TheBudds said:

Got Contra?

up up dn dn left right legft right AB

Comment by momoのキラー
    18:19 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Icy-nee-san said:
    Remember those days when consoles had quality and would maybe only break down once or twice?
    I miss the PS2 days :P

what do you mean ps2, i still got my nintendo cartridge console alive n kicking until now (if you had the guts to still play the games)