suzumiya-aya

Haruhi seiyuu Aya Hirano has made comments apologising for the Endless Eight debacle and thanking viewers for putting up with it all, as well as lamenting the hardships the seiyuu had to endure in recording it all.

The comments were made on one of her radio appearances:

For us seiyuu the pressure was intense.

When we first met to receive the plans for it and learn which books we would be doing, like we did for the first season, we heard we would be doing Bamboo Rhapsody and thought it was very appropriate.

Then we learnt the second till ninth would all be Endless Eight, we were like what? Eh? Eh? Eh?

We didn’t really get it when we were told we were doing the same story eight times with just differences in delivery.

I think this was more awful for the people watching than the ones performing it, I’m really grateful to everyone for watching it all for two months!

Thank goodness we finally got away from it.

Yamakan, the low-level production staff, and now even the seiyuu have expressed disgust with Endless Eight, to say nothing of the fan response.

It seems astonishing that the staff responsible ever managed to force it through, but the tenacity with which they are sticking to their guns even as their ship sinks probably explains much…

Comment by Darksider
    13:37 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

as long as she gets payed for her, I believe she didn't really mind it

13:19 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and that's what she said

13:14 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The part that kills me is that worthless weeaboos and otaku will buy the bullshit dvd's and bullshit merchandise anyway because they're fucking weak.

15:06 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i wonder who is the genius who pushed to have endless eight like that? >.>

Comment by Kairuu
    12:48 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just waitin for Nice Boat-esque meme, here.

Oh, wait that's right, CATCH AND RELEASE.

anybody else's stomach just turn after reading that?

10:53 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I can say though that I'm not wanting to watch anymore episodes of this series until the aftershock is gone....

Comment by Kaisos
    10:56 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

-_-

Come on guys. She has no control over what the production team does with the show. She simply voices the lines she's told to voice.

Also this is kind of the Japanese way of apologizing without actually apologizing.

So I doubt she's just saying this for 'attention' or whatever. Christ...

12:31 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

way to suck her dick.

10:56 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO~~~!!!

ALL SCRIPTED!!! THAT INTERVIEW IS A SHAM!!! BAH!

Comment by maxchain
    10:44 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't imagine the higher-ups will take kindly to this.

Comment by Atsuke
    10:32 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Too bad Hirano's limits weren't one ep only. Lawl XD

11:09 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Endlesss eight Ka?.....At least respect the fans of the show you dumbasss kyotoAnimation....I like the show but the e.e arc was too much for me.....

Comment by blue_blue
    11:18 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"we were like what? Eh? Eh? Eh?"

hmm... I'd really want to hear that "eh? eh? eh?" probably cute to hear

Comment by gunzaku
    13:16 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it should have been:" eh? eehhhh???? EEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?????????????????

oh, ok then..."

Comment by Naked Snake
    11:53 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, pathetic.She's just saying that so people won't hate her giant foreheaded , crosseyed,jap radiated self.I bet she didn't give a rat's that she's saying same lines 8 fucking times; all she care was she's getting paid for doing a shitty job like all jap voice actors.

Comment by MeidoNiac
    13:40 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Troll harder, anti-masspopularity fag.

Comment by Naked Snake
    07:11 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think the troll is Aya Hirano,jesus,she's so fucking ugly.and anti-masspopularity?Are you retarded it's obvious that's what she's aiming for,sympathy.Why should I show sympathy to a freak with a Micheal Jackson complex?Seriously she dresses like a fucking 10 year old or maybe her mother still chooses her clothes for her cause something wrong with her mind cause she gots down syndrome.

16:58 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

DVD sales will reveal all.

When are they due for release?

Comment by GANTZ Playboy!
    16:18 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I liked that Haruhi had like eight different Bikinis!- lol. I'd love to see Aya Hirano model in each one of the "E.E." Bikini's - My Fav was the red one towards then. This Arc would've been so much more 'watchable' if they changed the list of things they had to do every episode. Like: Go to the Beach, Have a picnic, Ball game, Paint ball, water park, Crab hunting (on a boat), life guarding, paint a house, pass out free samples of something, volunteer at a Old Age home, Perform in play, work the phones at a the suicide hotline- lol.
    It would've been cool to see different versions of the same events. Like Mikuru gets more Cicadas or Koisomi has to wear the Frog costume...it would keep fans guessing as to what the 'changes' meant.
    But no. The Image Below is what I will always remember about "Endless Eight"- The End (lol). that and Haruhi's excellent Butt shot.

Comment by momoのキラー
    20:02 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it's designed that way to identify the true believers, the rest of you won't get a ticket when the ark arrives.

11:49 25/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I loved Endless Eight! the producers were so brave to pull it! i really enjoyed!

06:29 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm actually quite glad they ran the Endless Eight arc. Now, every time a boneheaded Haruhi fan likens the series to the second coming of Christ, I've got two handy little words to shoot right back at them.

Comment by LDC
    06:10 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

She's right.

20:29 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

After an epic fail of the series, all rats escape form the sinking ship hahah

Comment by VOID
    18:29 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The thing Im confused about is what they saw in doing the same stuff eight times over. Seriously, none could possible like to watch a rerun of the same episode of any tv show straight in a row.

Hopefully it wasn't greed or laziness that struck them and all of this was a unintentially error from dope or similar. However, not to offend the staff at Kyoto or anything.But, with all that happened right before the second season it's not a complete surprise, that they screwded up even more.

Hopefully someday they can plug open their ears and listen to the fans so they don't make the same horrible misstake eight times in a row again...

20:37 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Evangelion last 2 episodes
    Haruhi Endless 8
    Reading people comments about them is the real watching

Comment by anonymous
    02:45 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So if everyone working on it hated it then why the fuck did KyoAni even go through with it?

Comment by JefLebowski
    21:22 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hm, I liked the EE-Arc... but mor than 8 would start to be annoying.

23:03 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You could really hear their relief in Endless Eight 8 when it ended. I didn't think that it was all acting. lol

06:02 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll bet she'd do another episode if they asked her to. :)

Here's hoping! *crosses fingers*

06:02 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"It doesn’t matter how many times I’m told to do it, I don’t want to do it anymore, enough already, enough! I can’t do it more than 8 times, that’s the limit!"

mommmmmmmmmmm...these words are making me feel funny...

Comment by alexcampos
    06:02 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fine, whatever, does it really matter anymore, Aya should've said these comments long time ago, it seems that this is probably to appease the idiots out there that don't get that this was all to make money, and at the end of the day Kadokawa doesn't give a shit about anyone but themselves.

I still believe that everyone in Japan should boycott the DVDs, however knowing how stupid every otaku is, the DVDs will probably break record sales :(

06:02 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Heh. I find it quite amusing how the higher-ups are trying to make out they are masterminds and that the arc will forever be remembered for positive reasons, when infact it was the death of the Haruhi franchaise. How these people are still in a job is beyond me.

Comment by Riiku
    06:35 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I bet right about now they're sitting nehind a round table with puzzeled faces, and discuss on where their plans has gone awry.

08:04 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Death? Not hardly. Kicked in the shin maybe, but the franchise will survive.

Comment by s0k
    05:57 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's why she's my big fore-headed waifu.

05:53 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And the sins of the fathers shall be visited upon the children, yea even unto the 8th fucking generation of rehashes.

(But I still loved every minute of it, think Minimalism)

Comment by Aero
    05:54 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I bet thy had the easiest days of their lives recording these. But I can't seriously expect her to be honest about this.

Comment by MusicalNote
    13:50 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Except, they have to re-record for each episode. How would you like to say the same thing over, and over, and over? These things rarely take one 'take', and each look had different inflections. Though, I admit, Haruhi's attitude was rarely different. Kyon however had reactions from cynical to panic when he was told how many times they had repeated.
    The voice artists had to be bored stiff.

20:25 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder how (for example) the VA's for Pokemon's Team Rocket (both Japanese or otherwise) feel for having to say the same shitty lines in all those hundreds of episodes (assuming the cast for that is still the same as it was since day 1). You'd think that they'd be dreaming their lines by now or become equally bored of it.

Now Aya Hirano complains about having to say her lines with small differences 8 times? Why isn't anyone but me thinking this makes her a spoiled brat who I shouldn't feel any sympathy for? And what about the other 4 seiyuu? Will we be hearing 'apologies' from them as well or has she suddenly been branded their spokesperson with this fan pleaser?

Comment by Kaisos
    05:56 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

At least she apologized.

Comment by marids
    07:34 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Artefact, the loyal haruhi fan misled you, nowhere in Aya's interview did she ever apologized.

What's funny is that she can't do it more than eight episodes after the fact that she was told to do the same thing from the 2nd to 9th episode. So she basically says that's ok

Comment by Firo
    07:04 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

She did?.. Either way, it's not like she was the one responsible for it...

06:11 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My question then becomes, if the former director, voice actors, and artists all thought this was a horrible idea why did they think the fans would think it was great?

Comment by Game8910
    06:30 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Because the oness who decide are the guys at kadokawa. And without them they got no paycheck

Comment by R
    09:48 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe because in the contract they sign for Kadokawa, the fee they would have to pay IF they don't work was too much. Or something like that, I don't really know how the seyuu/animation world works.

08:06 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Because they make more money and that makes them smarter. Besides, the fans are all fat losers who will buy anything thrown at them anyways.

Probably what they told themselves.

Comment by Fat Nakago
    06:35 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As infuriating as Endless Eight was, I have to on some level admire the wit and cynicism that informed it. Assuming that wit and cynicism was involved, ofcourse.

My only real regret now that it has passed and we can stand back survey the damage, is they didn't show what happened during, say, the 11,054th reset, when they DIDN'T go to the Bon Festival. What DID they do instead, and so on. Or...it would have been nice to have thrown in one of the resets where they worked the cash registers instead of handing out balloons while wearing frog suits.

But I suppose that will have to wait for the OVA's.

Comment by Tex Arcana
    07:13 18/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm just gonna overtly say what everyone suspects anyway- the 11,054th reset was a total fuckfest. Kyon got everyone pregnant, and Koizumi felt him up after he passed out.

The 2391st reset, not so much.