Nintendo Crushes DS Piracy with New Firmware

aimas-ds

Nintendo has introduced new copy protection features into the latest firmware for its new DSi handheld, rendering all previous flash cards (or majikon in Japanese parlance) obsolete.

obsolete-majikon

The new 1.4 firmware appears to break all current piracy solutions on the market, with the following devices checked:

DSTTi
Hyper R4i
ak2i
R4 Ui
R4i Gold
EZVi

The 1.4 firmware will of course be present on all new DSi units, and is available as a downloadable update. The firmware also adds Facebook compatibility (using the camera built into the unit), not that this will convince many affected to upgrade immediately.

With Nintendo and Sony both looking to move their handheld devices online and make them part of their own DRMed content delivery networks, it looks as though traditional retail and the piracy associated with it will not continue in the same form, though unless the unusual success of the PS3 in stymieing copies can be replicated, it will doubtless only be a matter of time before new cracks are developed…

03:29 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The PSP is better anyway.

inb4flames

Comment by maniac
    20:46 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

who cares?
    most of today's games are shit anyways. I have completely given up on the entire gaming industry!!!

books are the future!
    (and no, it wasn't my intention to troll)

Comment by Chen
    23:02 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Nice conclusion maniac. I made that one back in 2005. But my solution involves buying old games from ebay and playing them on my old TV to have retro-fun. 2D > 3D, goes for games as well.

Comment by GourmetPrince
    21:39 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Books are the past, present, and all that shit. Of course they'll be more productive than games. But some people still have to have their super mario. Reading it just doesn't work.

Comment by Max
    00:35 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

kingdom hearts, shin megami tensei game that supposed to come later... and other things >.>

Comment by Riiku

I havent give up on game industry, I just play, like, one new game per month or two months.

13:14 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Who cares about a camera in a DSlite if you have an original DS and a plain digital camera? They're cheaper even when you put the prices together.

It's as if Nintendo forgot all about previous versions of the DS and just cares about the worst model... Idiots.

Comment by Internet Name Goes Here

My God you're retarded.

05:37 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What about the CycloDS? ;)

07:18 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The only kind of pirates they are gonna stop are the butt pirates.

Comment by g0rth0r
    07:46 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

oh wow. I was going to buy a DS next week along with DSTT. Does that firmware affect only the DSi and not the DS lite ? I don't care much about the DSi... my smartphone can do everything the DSi can and in better (putting aside the games).

I say, in 11 days that firmware will be cracked.

08:36 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

only DSi, just get a DS phat or DSL

11:12 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

''Those guys from Nintendo make it hack-proof, but that doesnt mean we ain't gonna hack it.''

08:16 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Can't you just go out and buy a new/used original DS? I'd rather pay 100 bucks for one handheld and then never pay for games. After a few pirated games, the DS pretty much pays for itself.

Comment by SS
    04:10 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I applaud them for at least trying to protect their games :/. I can't say piracy is impossible to stop. Direct TV pretty much stamped out people pirating their signal. But with this it's just like an endless game of cat and mouse.

03:15 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i'm pretty sure people knew the dsi was and anti-piracy from day one which is why i don't want one. i think they have found some things that work on it though.

04:13 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They cannot win this fight.

I have met the kind of electronics freaks behind several known modchips. To them, any kind of safety the console makers put up is a new challenge. Which they'll gladly break.

You ain't got the slightest idea of the tools, the patience and the sheer obsession they have.

10:08 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The first to release a product on the market, gets all the cash?

Comment by M
    04:29 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The game of cat and mouse continues. This may "temporarily" work for a few months...but eventually someone will find a way around it and this whole thing starts over again.

Comment by i386
    11:28 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, the ps3 is surprisingly resistant...
    A nice gift from Kutaragi to Sony before he left ;(

20:34 10/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hello,
    I like this article because it was give me much details about R4.
    Thanks for sharing it.
    cartes r4 [http://www.carte-r4-ds.fr]

Comment by Sukunai
    04:54 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Posted a wager on my fav rom site.

The firmware I believe was good for all of 10 days.

Bet it took longer than 10 days to make the firmware.

Comment by Sukunai
    04:19 19/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My comment above stands.

Bought the DSi XL because frankly smaller is not always any fucking thrill. EB Games offered me 90 bucks for my DS lite and I figured why not.

I have no interest in old slot two fucking crap games either.

And my Acekard 2i plays everything juuuuuust fine.

Firmware is just programming eh, it can be made and UN made.

17:37 16/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

why someone not using EDGE?

Comment by h8GWB
    18:19 24/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Let that be a lesson to you, kiddes: don't throw away your old versions just because some new shit comes out!

*goes to play Taiko DS which will never see a US release*

Comment by Klingengeist
    03:59 19/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Who buys a DSi anyway? Theres no reason to upgrade from DSlite for me.

Also pirates will always find a new way. Lets see how long it takes until this new firmware will be cracked or something.

Comment by Role
    00:14 03/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And once again, Nintendo totally crushes homebrew games as they try to kill pirated games... -_-

Homebrew capabilities and a possible Virtual Console for handheld games is the only reason I GOT my DSi... It's looking more and more like I wasted my money on it now...

13:54 11/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I noticed that the flashcart makers saw this coming and within fewer days than Nintendo expected, flashcarts became usable under DSi 1.4...the secret was a flashcart firmware update either before the DSi update or from another DS...

Comment by The Enigmatic Moondoggiebuiscuit
    13:26 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Mods are just easy to make.... given time the DSi will be put to that PC emulator treatment too...

01:09 24/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Meh, I bought all my DS games anyway, good for Nintendo.

Comment by Holly
    22:14 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is going to stop piracy how? Since firmware is all software base, the flash card companies just need to release an update.

I don't know why nintendo or sony bother with anti-piracy measures, though sony seems to have held back the PSP homebrew back quite a few times.

They should both just give up, and leave anti-piracy crap to microsoft, they seem to have the only slightly effective methords.

I wonder how much better games could be if they took all the money away from protecting their games and put it into, you know, the games..

Comment by Sydnian
    22:43 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

but look at PS3.... been 3 yrs now.... still unable to crack/pirate. i just wonder what the problem is...

Comment by Holly
    02:45 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PS3 can be chipped easily, people don't pirate on the PS3 because 1. Most of the games that make the PS3 worth getting are on other consoles or PC, and 2. Because blu-ray isn't cheap enough nor that popular, even more so when the PS3 first came out.

It's the same thing all over again with the PSP's UMDs, well that and the fact that sony never intended to release blank UMDs

I still don't think blu-ray is the next media after DVD's, maybe it'll pick up more soon? I somehow doubt it.

Comment by kamanashi
    14:23 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it will replace DVDs within a couple years once more people move to HD. Though, it helps for games more when the game take advantage of it. I wan't to see like, comilation PS3 games with multiple games on one disc.

Comment by Joe Somebody
    22:49 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Blu ray. Nobody is going to torrent 15gb of useless uncompressed data for one game.

Comment by DmonHiro
    23:16 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Right now, it's pointless to crack the PS3. Wait until everyone gets a BluRay writter. It's gonna be PS2 ALL OVER again.

00:21 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No one, not even Nintendo, thinks it will stop piracy forever. But obviously they do it as temporary stopgap to piss off pirates. What else can they do? It's not like they can go and sue the people who make the items since it is legal in their country of origin (china).

Comment by Anon Flip
    22:18 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It takes one to know one. If it takes one to make the security measure, it takes another to break it.

Comment by DieHardjagged
    02:53 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Everyone who enjoyed playing Resident Evil 1 on the PSP knows this system rocks. ;]

Comment by kamanashi
    14:20 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't forget being able to play Star Ocean, DJ Max, and using an SNES emulator too.

17:33 19/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think I love you from this comment alone.

Comment by Booger
    21:45 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck DS.

Open Source consoles and handhelds are the future:

Of course, if people continue to expect all content to be free, then there will surely be a lot of iphone-esque "fart games" and not much else.

People who program free dozen-hour RPGs out of sheer love are getting rare.

04:45 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Only problem with Pandora is it won't be able to run Windows games. So not a whole lot of use for the people here, who'd like to play hentai games on the go.

19:46 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Almost every Eroge works with wine. Trust me.

23:08 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and soon games will be just a memory in our cotton stuffed heads

Comment by Schrobby
    04:38 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why not just use a PDA with winMobile, linux or whatever? The devices already exist and older ones are quite cheap.
    Pandora would be nice if it had phone abilities. In that case I'd consider replacing my HTC with it.

Comment by Holly
    22:26 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't say I know a lot about pandora, but it would seem like it would be more worth while using a netbook.

Open source seems great, but it never seems to go anywhere, I mean look at linux, it's great it's there, but unless your a programmer, there isn't much point in using it.

Still interested in where pandora might go though.

22:31 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Er, no, enjoy your lack of good games by proper developers.

Enjoy your shitty system with no support.

00:17 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Open source handhelds are the future? You're a retarded fucking moron. Open source will never become mainstream because the majority of people have no incentive to devote hundreds if not thousands of hours to making something for free. Even the biggest competitor for DS, the iphone, builds its success on the idea that people who make games for it can turn in a big profit. You stupid commies know jack shit about the gaming industry if you think some day all games will be free.

04:44 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, because there are no commercial games on open-source operating system... not.

16:20 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Go back to your cave, will you ? The vast majority of web servers and softwares are open-source and free. People devote time if they want too and you're lack of knoweldge in good free (as in beer) games, even more when it comes to doujin games, makes me wonder what you're doing on this website.

If you like to pay everything, so be it. Don't worry, even if these "stupid commies who do things for free" gets a lot of things done, there will be always someone to milk you, like the fat cow you are.

Comment by Ichida
    23:21 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That Pandora actually looks interesting to me; I'll watch it and see where it goes.

00:15 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Except the iPhone 3GS blows it out of the water for specs and also has a pretty open app store (ie anything can be made for it), as long as the content is legal.