Monster Hunter 3 Release Debacle Looms

monster-hunter-3-3

Popular panchira hunting RPG Monster Hunter 3, for the Wii, looks set to enjoy a release debacle if the freezing thus far reported turns out to be widespread.

The game is released on the 1st of August, but early recipients have begun playing already.

Freeze bugs have been reported (the video was broadcast live so an embed is not possible), 6 or so times in this one play session:

monster-hunter-3-4

There is some speculation that this is copy protection (though the player uploaded a picture of his box) or a Wii related defect. However, similar bugs have been problematic on other titles, so only with the release will the truth be known.

This is apparently what the game looks like when played in “HD”:

monster-hunter-3
monster-hunter-3-2

Surely there must be some mistake?

The game itself otherwise looks as one might expect from this sort of title on the Wii, with PS2 level graphics (in fact the game is even being sold bundled with a PS2-clone controller) and long load times, but with the classic Monster Hunter gameplay apparently intact:

If these issues turn out to be isolated then doubtless the release will go well all the same, but if they turn out to be widespread the game may be in severe trouble…

Comment by ronnie
    19:21 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

fantastic game man, i m fans of MH!!

16:33 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why would you go out and buy a Wii, just for this game?

Why don't you roll over and let them stop on the other side of your face.

Comment by Booger
    20:28 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Regarding console fanboys on Sankaku...

I laughed ever since Sankaku became a source of articles for N4G.

What the hell, yo.

Comment by MG
    23:51 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

1. Those are NOT PS2 level graphics. lol
    2. The vast majority of load times are very short.

Comment by hALOTOO
    21:52 03/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As always I will wait for the engrish version, right now I am playing unite anyway

Comment by Nekojin
    05:14 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've been playing for a day now and have experienced no freezes. The person in the video is likely using some form of modification to play the game.

Also, the graphics are far better than the PS2 game.

Comment by Forlourned
    07:26 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Your right, it looks like a gamecube game! With SMOKE!!!

Technology leaps ahead every day...

Comment by Ivory
    12:46 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't have a Wii ._.

This game would be the only reason for me to buy this console, like i did to 360 with Im@s.

Any speculations about the Ps3 version?

16:35 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

None so far, but they are working on an actual Monster Hunter "3" for the PSP. By actual 3, I mean freedom 3 I guess. :D

12:56 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Blackcats users have been reporting the same problems, across several types of loaders and versions of CTOS as well. Considering the potentially thousands of pirates, and virtually no reports of actual sales, I'm inclined to believe this is copy-protection.

Comment by Artefact

There were pictures of the boxed game from the tester above so that seems unlikely. We will see soon enough...

09:04 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Could be buggy copy-protection though.
    I mean, look at Starforce, that program wasn't very conductive to the longevity of one's computer either.

12:36 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I would hit that @$$ so hard!!!

Comment by Enix
    12:30 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I want a wii just for this game T_T

Comment by Exia
    12:19 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ahah hd looks exactly the same.

Comment by SenseiSyaoranLi
    22:03 03/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

nice chat, japanese ;)

Comment by Storm Wing
    13:02 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Bugs... Can't complain 'em, can't chain 'em on the backyard...

Comment by Noob Saibot
    12:24 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

sux0rs for j00 Wii(ner) owners.

Comment by neeto-kun
    12:26 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

THAT AWESOME!

Comment by cancel
    18:50 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

seems to load pretty often?

20:03 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lrn2monsterhunter faggot

05:36 13/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

fuck you nigger

Comment by Leon
    12:29 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope there won't be any problem when I'll play, I am waiting for this game.

Comment by ragaraga
    13:13 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

looks good to me i'm ready for it

Comment by ShibariComplex
    14:48 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

why do i feel irritated when i see/hear anything about MH3. oh thats right because i wont be able to play it!...

15:13 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

why because you're too damn cheap to buy a wii or pirate wii games and play them on an emulator?

Comment by EspadaKiller
    16:07 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No because the fact of Capcom canceled the PS3 project and went ahead with a Wii exclusive because of wanting more money.

And i want to see a PS3/X360 version of MH. When is it coming? 2011 or 2012? -__-"

Comment by Forlourned
    07:24 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh.. I say about 20...Never.

...or until PS3 lowers the damn price of the system to actual make it profitable to make one for it.

13:41 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The graphics is really unimpressive, but the series is always fun to play. Lag might kill it though.

Comment by MARl0
    13:55 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PS2 level graphics? Yeeaaahhh...you won't see visuals like this on the PS2. Not even close.

I loves me PS2, but anyone who thinks this looks like PS2 graphics hasn't played a PS2 in YEARS.

Comment by Anon
    19:39 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i loves me ps2?wtf????

15:05 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This game is probably only as good as Shadow of Colossus, or maybe slightly better. And that was a 4 years-old game. Everything looks polygon-ish in the pic. Wii has games with better graphics than this.

Comment by Kiki

I wish i had a Wii!!! Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on the PSP is simply amazing too! I love the game series =D

the awesome new monsters are so cool xD ...i just need a Wii and the game lol!

Dear fanboys for any system,

When did you decide to stop judging game based on their own quality and simply decide to blindly hate everything that wasn't associated with your system of choice?

Seriously Artefact, the sheer amount of pro-Sony anti-MS or Nintendo shit on this site makes any attempt at objectivity on your part seem like a joke. I'm sure the SDF will swoop to your defense, but honestly, for anybody with an IQ above the single digits who's smart enough to realize the juvenile, pointless stupidity of judging a game based on what console it's on, the obvious bias of this blog is pretty fucking annoying.

I own all 3 systems and believe they all have something worth playing, but I don't come here to read about how you want to suck Kutaragi off. Get back to posting titties, and stop trying to convince everybody that the PS3 is the greatest thing ever.

13:16 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Cry moar, newfag.

17:59 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, tell you what Anon you might be onto something but Artefact owns this site and does do some nice posts, bias comes with news, and thats the fact of the world no matter where you are. The best example to date for me was that Muslim Guard one, (which everyone somehow ignored on the whole) the fact that it was released in a Jewish newspaper. Well i also own all 3 consoles, and will continue to overly enjoy Demon's Souls 3, and will continue the hate for whoever decided to put MH3 on the wii. I can appreciate all of the next-gen consoles for their own respective target market, and all have their enjoyable reprentations. But MH3 being on the Playstation is the same reason i won't buy Tekken 6 for my 360, because Tekken for me is always going to me a sony game regardless of who it goes to. This isn't a question of hate or love between consoles, more like i want the optimum out of my game and they deliver (in mostly my experience anyway) on their own base console release. Monster Hunter 3? I will still get it probably because i love the series so much, but i don't think no true fan can deny the dissapointment of these graphics, just thinking of a pristine level of epic graphics from the ps3 with MH3 gives a fan shivers, so yeh imo they fucked it. I'd rather wait for MH3 to come for the PSP, if it eer makes it, and im not talking about 2ndG or Unite.

16:34 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Get over it, it's basically an opinion.

I was hyped for the game, but the whole ominous coming of pay to play online thing shut me down. I have nothing against my Wii or 360 (albeit I use my PS3 more than either combined), but to play this online with a fee when I did not have to on the PS2. Also having freeze glitches and other problems like this is basically making me want to steer away from it for good and just stick with Unite.

Comment by Forlourned
    07:20 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sad thing is, Capcom goes where the money is. I think I even saw somebody cry out for a MH on the PS3 in the tinker too.

You know; with FREE online gaming is to be found...

13:08 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anon,

This is a otaku site. Otaku are not a reasonable bunch. They are despised and ridiculed for a reason. Artefact is most probably a hardcore otaku, given that he works for this thing. (no offense artefact)

Just waddle through it and be thankful internet still retains some chips of madness here and there.

Comment by Mike
    13:51 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Okatu... unreasonable? I see no such examples of this :P

Comment by Jarmel

Endless Eight is Endless

Comment by .newzero
    13:14 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They just stopped on this site and for this game. Say the name of any other title on the 360 or Wii then you get the hell of a shitstorm you're missing ;)

15:16 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry anon, but you must an ignorant idiot to think that Sankaku Complex is an unbiased gaming review site or that it ever had an intention to bring you gaming news 24/7. Go back to n4g or whatever console fanboy news site you came from. If it weren't clear enough to you already, this place is where people go for otaku-related news or all the other shit that happens out in the world.

15:30 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

exactly, anon-- I come here for shit to fap to, not for Sony cock smoking. People come here for otaku news. How is this SDF bullshit related to tits or anime?

16:11 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You raged so hard.

Comment by Forlourned
    07:18 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Read a lot of you noob-names declaring utter disdain or hatred for old Arty.

How about trying this, make your own GODDAMN website and do your own GODDAMN rants instead of whining in this one!

15:36 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sankaku Complex is to Sony as Fox News is to Republicans ;D

Comment by MARl0
    14:00 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've noticed the same thing. And it really is starting to get sickening. I love all three consoles, and seeing the ridiculously obvious bias by the staff here is getting annoying as hell.

Comment by bob
    14:41 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"sickening?" oh please... try and maintain some perspective, drama boy.