King of Fighters XII Major Disaster

kofxii_leonaheidern-mono

Stylish 2D fighting game series King of Fighters has hopefully reached its nadir with King of Fighters XII, with the game being slated by reviewers and apparently having a variety of embarrassing bugs even after having been delayed for reasons which are now painfully obvious.

Playtesting appears not to be the order of the day at SNK Playmore; behold the “handcuff glitch”:

Famitsu appears not to have been paid off, giving it a meagre 22 out of 40, and has given the game a rating even lower than the abysmal Arcana Heart II port, and significantly lower than BlazBlue.

PS3 and Xbox 360 versions are said to be equally poor, though much of the criticism should presumably be levelled at the arcade version too.

Another reviewer lashes out at the state of the game’s multiplayer, awarding it 1.5 of 5:

But here’s the kicker: KoF12’s online play is (to put it mildly) atrocious.

Spectator mode suckage aside, you can’t filter prospective opponents by connection quality, you can’t kick unwanted players from your lobbies, you can’t view a friends-only leaderboard, and you can’t filter saved match replays by user-defined criteria (but that’s okay, since they’re worthless anyway — no player names are attached to saved match videos!).

All of these very egregious flaws are moot, though, because KoF12 features the absolute worst netcode of any fighting game that exists on a current platform, to such an extreme degree that you may as well not bother with it at all.

Matches range from “horribly laggy” to “near-literal slideshow,” and given how far online fighters have come, it’s frankly embarrassing to witness such terrible netcode making it into a retail product in 2009.

A variety of gameplay videos do display lag to varying degrees…

Fans are presumably taking solace in BlazBlue (which comes with panchira), though King of Fighters XII does at least have very nice character animation…

You can of course try for yourself.

kofxii_raiden

Comment by Kyo
    11:36 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

BRING BACK MAI! THE CUUUURSE!

Comment by Shino
    11:17 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No Mai, No Buy.

10:40 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

thank god there is melty blood actress again

10:26 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd rather play BlazBlue than waste my time with this messed-up game.

Comment by Rekki
    06:07 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like to play with female characters but there are only 6 in this game, and no Mai makes it a no buy for me.

Comment by PunchMyballs
    05:55 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i find it kind of obvious since snk isn't behind it anymore

16:53 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Except for the part where it kind of is. Like the last two KoF games. Under the name SNK Playmore. The company that resurfaced under the same CEO who founded SNK.

Comment by Tate
    07:08 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

shit. was thinking of getting this before i heard about these problems.

might get it eventually...maybe from a bargain bin.

Comment by Tallgeese VI
    09:50 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I am a fan of KOF series starting from 99 till XI. I'd managed to get hold of the collection series (94 - 02) in PS2 & currently 2002 UM, fairly good if you ask me.

But seeing these type of glitches makes me laugh & not to mention 'laggy'....I'll have to pass on this one.

Comment by Kyo
    11:38 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

KOF 2002 is the best, no mention.

12:30 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

'98 is less faggy

Comment by Violet
    08:42 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What the fuck is going on with this game? :D

Comment by an oni mouse
    11:41 03/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll stick with my Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, thanks,,

Comment by Cascade
    04:05 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Also, if you still like SNK, and don't mind not having online play, you should probably try importing KOF 2002 Unlimited Match, because I hear it's excellent.

Comment by Abel Liegod
    12:38 23/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Blame the fat guy!

Comment by Darkomake
    11:34 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You like KOF play M.U.G.E.N

Comment by Cascade
    03:58 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, that's disappointing. It pisses me off since being a huge KOF fan, I was looking forward to getting this. SFIV is fun but its appeal has waned for me, and although Blazblue is wonderful, I wanted to try another PS3 fighting game. I enjoyed KOF XII in the arcades quite a bit as well. KOF is the series that made me interested in fighting games as more than a passing fascination. Ive always liked KOF better than Street Fighter, but it never caught on in the US. If KOF XII fails, that might never change.

I would have been willing to put up with relatively small changes from the arcade, even a dearth of extra content. But poor online play? Glitches? I won't accept this, SNK Playmore!

It's probably their unfamiliarity with the console and online play in general. But I still won't buy it.

Also, Mai is pig disgusting, good riddance. I'm so tired of her and Andy's marriage shit.

Comment by kenjiharima
    01:31 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They went for the loli Athena...

But this is KOF, the deal here is the storyline why certain characters are not in...but fuck the storyline!

Comment by Metalbunny
    01:28 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

awww..Laggy ...That's not for any fighting game..

Comment by bttp
    00:26 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

jesus christ, what the fuck is with you guys and mai? she's a pretty horrible character first of all. rarely do people actually consider using her in their teams when it comes to tournament play.

OH NO, NO MAI.
    OH NO, IT'S ASH.
    OH NO, NO BOSS.
    OH NO, ONLY FIVE STAGES.
    OH NO, I SUCK AT FIGHTERS.

Fun fact: Fighting games aren't fucking RPG's, and Mai fucking sucks anyway.

11:15 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wait, it has fewer stages than Vanguard Princess?

Comment by Shino
    07:44 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No one cares about hardcore fighters anymore. KOF is probably one of the best fighting games out there...

However, SNK failed to notice that majority of games nowadays appeal to casual gamers. Meaning loads of characters, loads of stages, bosses, and an actual story. To be honest, I'd rather spend $60 on something with more features than something I could wait for to get cheap.

Not gonna lie also, but KOF doesn't seem the same without Mai. I know she wasn't featured in other KOF games (which probably had more girls), but fuck, this game was such a sausagefest.

Now SNK's hoard of yaoi fangirls are gonna be back. Among all fighting games, KOF has so much, and now they're just asking to lure them back in.

Comment by Ryan the Game Master
    16:26 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The thing about Mai:

1. The majority of her fans are pervs.
    2. She's been in the series for a LONG time, so seeing her gone leaves an (honestly) understandable hole.
    3. See reason #1.
    4. Seeing Andy squirm rarely gets old.
    5. See reason #3.

With that said, I plan to give this one a shot one day. Shame about those glitches, but NO GAME IS PERFECT. Not even BlazBlue. Flaming someone for liking a game you don't shows how horribly single-minded you are.

Everyone's different. Not everyone will share your tastes. GET THE HELL OVER IT.

Comment by kirballs1
    05:44 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I played this at Arcade Infinity it was a suck fest.

Comment by MARl0
    00:21 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Honestly, I've been really enjoying the game. People focus way too much on Mai not being in it, and the lack of game modes and stages. But the fighting engine itself (the most important part of a fighter) is excellent. Probably my favorite between Street Fighter 4, BlazBlue, and King of Fighters 12.

00:39 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well good for you

have fun playing it online playmore dick rider.

05:53 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Of course, a game is only good if it's good online.

Comment by MARl0
    01:37 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's real mature of you. I said that I'm enjoying the game. Not that the game is perfect or incredible. Because it's not. I didn't realize that actually enjoying the game makes you a ****ing fanboy dick rider.

Get over yourself, before you bitch about other people first, you won't hate yourself so much.

11:35 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Did you even played KoF XII?

06:47 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Only a retard would say this game is broken because of a couple glitches which will inevitably be patched. It's people like you who keep hyperbole and assholery alive. Stop being a dork.

Comment by MARl0
    05:49 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Like I said. Real mature of you. Given your behavior level, I assume that you're roughly 8 years old. Are your parents aware that you visit this site?

01:54 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Only a retard would say nice things about this game.

They are asking $60 for a broken game not worth $5. Its people like you who trick retards into thinking this game is worth buying.

This game should be avoided like the plague, stop supporting it.

00:21 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

KoF + English = crap

Comment by foeevaddr
    00:18 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wait what? what did famitsu give blazblue?

23:58 29/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm happy the console versions of this fail. It means I can buy and relish Blazblue without a doubt regarding whether or not its the best of the two.

00:24 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

After 12 kofs & the likely spin offs, I think it's time to put the series to rest. -.-

Comment by the7k
    00:24 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Since the patch, I haven't had a problem with online mode.

Also, I'll take a laggy but balanced online experience over one that is perfectly lag-free, but has everyone picking either Jin, Noel and Hakuman, or Ken, Akuma and Zangief.

That Raiden/Elizabeth glitch is pretty embarrassing, but I think everybody else is just pissed that there isn't some crappy ninja chick with big boobs in the game who has always been a shit-tier character.

15:52 03/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck You, You Goddamn Tier Loving Retard. Tiers DO NOT EXIST!! Only a Dumbass Like You Would Let Pointless Shit Like "Tiers" Determine Who's "better".

Comment by Guara
    00:35 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You do realize that with lag, all the timing needed for doing combos/counters are going out of the window, don't you? It turns the whole game into a button mash fest to see who can spam the same moves over and over again (See: SC4 with 1-bar connection).

At least within a lag-free environment, you actually had your chance to win, you just need to find a suitable tactic against those scrubs.

Comment by MARl0
    01:39 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You did read the part where he said that he hasn't had a problem with online since the patch right?

Comment by Jago
    00:58 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I was going to buy this game until I found out Mai wasn't in the game.Now I'll wait till I find it on sale for $20 dollars. I'm buying Blazblue instead.

00:37 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck playmore.

They ignore their fan base who wanted mai, instead they ram that worthless faggot ash and his shit team down our throats.

They released garou and kof 98 um on xbox live both with abysmal netcode and they've done the same thing with kof 12.

I'm so glad this worthless game is getting the shit press it deserves, I hope it bankrupts playmore.

SNK were great and are sorely missed, playmore are shit and ruin everything they touch.

09:31 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think SNK was ever that great a video game company. Yeah, they have some good titles like Metal Slug, KoF, Fatal, etc., but they have a habit of going overboard with sequels that barely have any improvements or changes to them. It's like they keep releasing hogwash in the hope that one of them will magically be a decent one. And besides, we're talking about the company the company that made the Neo Geo, here. SNK is clueless when it comes to the console game market. Their heyday was during the height of the arcade era. That's it.

Comment by mr.demon
    20:41 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I Dout that if Mai were in the game could do it better...

sre she adds some boobies glitch... but I miss her too...

Comment by Veknus
    01:09 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Playmore = EA games
    touch anything and it goes to ruin

Comment by Puru Puru Pururin
    23:55 29/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

not surprising. Even on earlier versions of KOF (97,99,2000) there were a lot of glitches.

Only KOFs 98, '02 and XI were good

Comment by IC DeaDPiPoL
    Comment by Kyon
    23:01 29/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I got SFIV, Thx god.

Comment by BB
    01:02 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

now im happy i got blazblue instead, though tekken6 is coming out this october i got that pre-ordered already :D

03:21 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I got vanguard princess thx god.