Iron Man & Wolverine Anime Trailers Impress

marvelanimecomicconposter

Marvel, having decided to produce anime adaptations of both Iron Man and Wolverine, has just released some impressive trailers of both.

You can see them below:

Due for Japanese release in 2010 (via Animax), the series look at first glance to have been adeptly handled by esteemed studio Madhouse. Another two anime adaptations are apparently also in the works.

Marvel seem to have moved away from the traditional depictions for these productions; they describe it as “popular Super Heroes redesigned and repurposed as emerging from the fabric of Japanese culture”. Particularly in the case of Wolverine, at first glance it is certainly easy to get the impression that this is actually a Japonified version of the series actually intended for American audiences…

Whether the end result lives up to the trailer remains to be seen, but it certainly looks promising enough at this stage.

Comment by Conrad Awesome
    21:36 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

HOLY FUCKING SHIT IRON FUCKING MAN WHAT THE CUNT JESUS FUCK THIS IS LIKE DISTILLED AWESOME IN VISUAL ANIMATION FORM.

*Ahem*

I really like the style and fluid animation of the Iron man anime. I have high hopes for this.

Wolverine anime looked good, but too much looking pretty while floating in an awesome pose. I do hope to see some awesome fighting martial arts though. I think marvel is doing a grand job.

Comment by Human Shuriken
    21:32 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL wtf wolverine!

LOL

Comment by Mike
    21:54 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The style works much better for Ironman then Wolverine. Tall thin wiry wolverine is just not right.

21:24 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I just have one complaint on Iron-Man. It's strange that he crashed through that futuristic building and all the debris are rock. Sure it can be concrete, but the building is clearly also made of metal and glass. Still Iron-Man looks more interesting that Wolverine...

Comment by brutalmugen
    21:09 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ill be honest i stop like Ironman because of Civil War,(cause im more of a Cap fan)but this seem promising,the wolverine on the other hand no.. fail.

Comment by metatron
    21:18 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

brix were shat 8DD

Comment by tingle
    21:23 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Iron man looks awesome wolverine looks like shit.

But to fan the flames of racism they NEED THE MANDARIN!

Comment by tingle
    22:07 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Will Wolverine have an anime Yuriko?(lady deathstrike)

Comment by Snot
    00:21 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

1. Marvel has tons of money from all the movies it made
    2. Hollywood has ran out of ideas so is making live action adaptations of anime
    3. The anime bubble has burst and anime companies, short on cash, can only churn out sequels, adaptations of popular moe visual novels
    4. Marvel, with money, wants to expand its properties, approaches Madhouse. Madhouse, not keen on moe (unless if its bundled with tons of kickass), sees ripe opportunity to survive in current climate.
    5. Everyone profits.

Comment by Metalbunny
    00:06 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

shinyy..SOO SHINYYY

Comment by knee_san
    00:39 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wolverine did not impress me but the Ironman give me quite goosebumps.. it looks awesome but still feels weird watching marvel into anime style genre

Comment by roukou
    00:48 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

DAMMIT JAPAN!

Comment by Paul OFlaherty
    01:23 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I love the look of Ironman trailer but I find that they've changed the look of wolverine to much for my taste. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just doesn't work for me. :(

Comment by MARl0
    23:48 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

To be frank, the Wolverine trailer looked terrible. But the Iron Man trailer was incredible.

22:56 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

keep your comics out of my anime

22:23 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ironman looks good.

However, Wolverine the Vampire Slaying Samurai looks like it's from a completely different universe.

23:04 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Artwork looks good in general, for both trailers.

Just a pity that they turned Logan into a Bishie.
    Heck, he has more in common with Manji-san from Blade of the Immortal than he does with a pretty-boy a la Alto Saotome.

If, Madhouse is willing to tweak him a bit and tone down the bishie aspect, than they ought to have a surefire hit on their hands.

Still wish that they'd handled the second season of Gunslinger Girl as well though. :(

Comment by Spiderkid
    23:28 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Of course they'd make Wolvy look like a faggot. At least the Iron Man one looks good. I'll probably wince at what Tony looks like, but for now...

Comment by AngelsThesis
    17:59 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

OMG Marvel should get the fuck out of anime. MARVEL IS SHIIT!

Comment by Anon
    Comment by Megaman0
    17:54 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wolverine looks like Dakan or some sort of Bishi character...he should be a short stumpy gruffy old man and his blades are indeed weird.

The Iron Man trailer looks a lot better but but both look totally Japonified...

18:22 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The Wolverine animations looks like their on a budget. More frames please.

IM does look movie-like, very impressed.

Comment by EspadaKiller
    17:53 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Iron Man looks really awesome. Wolverine not so much :P

Comment by kenjiharima
    17:48 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO WOLVERINE?!!!

Wolverine needs to be a short buffed hairy man! That design just SUCKS imho. I can live with a no mustache Tony Stark since the Ironman armor and animation is done well, but what they did to Wolverine is NOT GOOD AT ALL!!! I just wish it was like the OLD anime intro of the Uncanny X-men they used as a design reference.

Final words Ironman appoved, Wolverine NO.

17:22 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I would like some western comics made into anime (Punisher)... but I'd rather they stay far away from superhero shit.

Wolverine went from a human badger to yaoi fodder. Awesome.

Comment by DeviantDiscordian
    17:31 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Both look promising, but I always preferred Iron Man.
    I hope it's better than the Iron Man cartoon from the 90's.

Comment by Chen
    18:41 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, looks like epic fail to me

DO NOT WANT

20:15 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

May I borrow your troll goggles?

Comment by Kinny Riddle
    18:47 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So will both Iron Man/Tony Stark and Wolverine remain American or will they be Japanese in these adaptations?

19:58 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think there's a single reason for me to be interested in the movies behind those trailers. They look pretty much phoned in as far as content goes.

20:23 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the iron man looks pretty nice..bt wolverine looks abit off

Comment by Leon
    19:58 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Iron man? Yes!

Comment by Photoshark
    19:03 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, come on... Wolverine can never be elegant with his attacks. He should have been depicted with no remorse for his own safety with relentless savagery for every claw swipe because his flesh regeneration is godlike and bones unbreakable.

Wolverine = Berserker

Comment by nekoRamen
    19:06 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Is that supposed to be Pepper?

01:27 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

so from the trailers i can now conclude that wolverine is a ninja and ironman is fighting harlock in a mechsuit

Comment by hauntedskin
    01:59 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ironman seems a right fit for anime thanks to the mech-filled universe anime has become.

But Wolverine??!...the moment I saw him he reminded me of the wondering outcast Jubei Kibagami of Ninja Scroll with claws...YUCK!

22:06 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

CRAP, obvious american superhero crap is just crap and will always be crap.

Everyone is sick of the american golden knight homo superior crap and US glorification.

I also read about an Obama Spiderman comic. How stupid can it get?! With stupid propaganda you can destroy a whole industry and this could even backlash on japans manga/anime industry.

No one wants american worldunification, we are the greatest or "freedom" propaganda.

23:52 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

1/10

try harder next time

05:28 28/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wut? Everyone who dislikes the US is a troll?

Please stop trying, dickhead!! -10 out of whatever you like [rolleyes]

Comment by Toshiaki
    02:33 28/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't have the time to read all of the comments here, but I attended the panel at Comic Con where they premiered these trailers. Warren Ellis is writing all four of the projects, and he actually let slip what the other two are: Blade and X-Men.

As for the trailers, these were said to be "test animations" to see how the audience would react to the project and get an idea of how it might look in the end. I don't know if Ellis wrote anything FOR these trailers. Ellis did say he wanted to adapt that old 80's Wolverine comic book mini-series. I forget what he said about Iron Man, other than he now lives in Tokyo.

Personally, I like the way these looked when compared to the TV animations that Marvel is putting out. I do like the direct to DVD's though. Planet Hulk and Thor look nice and I think the stories are better than the earlier ones.

20:09 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

thx god it is Madhouse, at least, maybe?

Comment by Howling
    19:35 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

GREAT. MADHOUSE WASTING THEIR TEAMS ON MORE SHIT ANIME.

Comment by knuclear200x
    16:22 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

why'd they have to gay up logan? He's supposed to be this badass biker who makes jokes at the perfect time. now he's an androgynous badass who will seem to act stupid at the worst time.

Comment by midnightphantomillusion
    17:37 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wolverine looks dumb. I hate the no blood thing and the slash marks in anime. Like D and all. Its not cool its lame already! Show the claws going into the person and the blood coming out damnit, stop cheaping on animation, no more pg shit!! Iron man looks way better, detail and fighting moves. All wolverine was good for is slashing around wildly.

Comment by hALOTOO
    18:19 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ironman is awesome but wolverine ..wait and see I guess
    Japan should animate the Hulk and here is a awesome video for all you marvel lover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIRFsx-wXis&feature=related [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIRFsx-wXis&feature=related]

Comment by tross
    04:52 28/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think that to be called "anime", all this marvel stuff lacks such thing as an internal idea, meaning and character feelings.

I doubt that it's "Anime" what will happen in the result... rather maybe another "Devil May Cry"...

Comment by DuoMaxwell
    20:28 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

First the Animatrix, then Batman, then Halo, and now these two. Anyone and anything's made into an anime, and as an otaku that's a good thing, but it's better than what Hollywood's shelling out. The Japanese today aren't the same closed-up, reclusive, sheltered people they used to be centuries ago.

What's next, a Star Trek or Stargate anime? (I'd pay to see either one!)

At first I thought Wolverine was badass, but based on the comments here and since I only saw a little bit of X-Men (i'm not a comic book guy, just a manga guy), maybe not all anime are created or drawn equal. Maybe my tastes in anime must've mutated, but now i'm seeing that shiny and badass doesn't always mean success.

If you wanted to do a Wolverine or X-Men anime, please do your homework first. Get source material and research your subject. I mean, although I haven't seen Watchmen, i've heard that they stayed true to the comic book and did a hell of a lot of homework on it. That's how Wolverine should be, sticking close to the source material, and maybe making an X-Men sidestory or something.

As for Iron Man, I haven't seen the main movie, but if they're making an anime out of it, and based on the teaser trailer, then sign me up! IM definitely looks high-tech badass! I'm a computer nerd and a gadgetophile, and from what i've seen on the trailer, they've done their research and stayed true to the source material. Methinks some of the Japanese are fans of Iron Man.

Either way, I can't wait to see the man in the red and gold armor.

Comment by Shockerz
    22:16 29/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The Japanese Wolverine look more cooler than the original version.

10:46 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

ummmm... hell no!!!, original version was so much better

18:14 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

fuk the wolverine trailer, i cannot accept that as wolverine eever, his hair is wrong, his blades are wrong and his badd ass attitude is gone now.
    the iron man trailer looks awesum however, hope they dont make new villains tho