Atlus Announces Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey

strange-journey-ds-6

Atlus has announced the latest original title in the Megami Tensei series, though fans are unlikely to be overwhelmed…

The game is set for release on the 8th of October, with a typically Shin Megami Tensei-esque story about exploring a mysterious dimension, though the game has an obvious science fiction style to it.

The platform will be the DS, which is probably enough to end interest in it, unless one of its female characters turns out to be a crossdressing boy.

strange-journey-ds-5
strange-journey-ds-4
strange-journey-ds-3
strange-journey-ds-2
strange-journey-ds

Via Hachimaki.

Fans might be forgiven for lamenting the fact that no confirmation of the supposed PS3 release of Persona 5 is forthcoming. As with the recent Valkyria Chronicles PSP “sequel,” few are likely to be enthused by a DS game either.

If the Japanese gaming industry wants to regain its global market share, perhaps it should stop prioritising development for handheld systems over home consoles, as it seems the vast majority of successful franchises originate on these platforms, to say nothing of the technological straitjacket imposed by development on portable hardware…

Handheld sales might be strong, but they do not seem to contribute much to developing long term competitive strength.

05:05 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm thinking Atlus is going to shift their focus to handhelds for a while before testing the waters of a PS3/360/Wii release. The next Shin Megami Tensei game will more than likely be on a single console as development costs for one console, except the Wii would be high enough as it is so trying to go multiplatform would make things worse especially if it doesn't sell as well as they want. Let's say they do release SMT4 on the PS3 and it has subpar sales. Do you think they would bother releasing another game on the console when they know it could result in the same thing? People may not like it but Atlus is trying to be financially smart about this. They see what consoles are selling well and have the better game sales in the Japanese market and are making games for it. The only ways to really resolve this and get them to start developing for the newer consoles is if a large company bought Atlus and gave them a bigger financial backing or if their games become wildly popular for some reason but the likelihood of either of those happening is pretty slim. I don't know about you but i would rather see Atlus play it safe now and succeed later than take a risk that could potentially be a big financial blow and risk taking them out of the gaming industry.

05:19 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Honestly, when (or if?) Atlus steps into the HD ring, the most likely title for them to release is Persona 5. They'll build the engine, the assets and make the investment they would need in order to do it right. P5 would come out, sell a couple hundred thousand copies and most likely lose money. This is where Atlus will take a look at what they have; the engine is done. The groundwork has been laid out - now in order for them to potentially recover costs and make some money, they will need to start pumping out more titles. SMT4, various spin offs and side stories, DDS, etc.

That is the only way I can see Atlus pulling through HD development, unless they halfass it and just reuse their old engine and upscale all the assets, like other companies do.

Comment by Snot
    06:53 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Is HD development really that hard? Just take the same models used for the FMVs without downscaling, since the hardware has finally caught up to be able to render high polycounts in real-time.

I thought it would be more like Flash -- pretty much resolution independent.

07:13 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It is quite a bit more complicated than that. To simplify things, with higher resolution textures comes more work, with more work comes a larger development team, with a larger development team comes higher development costs, etc etc.

The average PS360 game is estimated to cost around $10-30 million dollars to develop, which is quite a bit higher than the DS, PS2, Wii or PSP.

Comment by Tate
    10:12 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

so uh..wtf are they doing? science fiction or not, those character designs look like ass, something from a 1950's b flick or ripped off from elsewhere.

Comment by Ch1nGFuX
    15:33 25/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sincerely, this looks ugly as shit!! Persona wins :\

11:38 25/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Best looking SMT game in years.

12:49 24/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The DS is a pretty robust system on its own, and the classical SMT games don't require that much processing power.

The only reason DQ9 got shit on was because Japanese nerds are autistically dedicated to resisting change and have literally nothing to do but spam websites and masturbate to underage-looking cartoon characters.

Comment by SenseiSyaoranLi
    01:40 18/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"The platform will be the DS, which is probably enough to end interest in it"

Stopped reading there, who cares.

09:21 28/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Haha. Bitch more OP because its not on your beloved Sony system.

21:31 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

'few are likely to be enthused by a DS game'? the ds is the best selling console in Japan by a massive margin. dragon quest ix sold like 2.3 million copies in 2 days, even though i thought it was stupid at first that they weren't going to release it on the ps3.

10:58 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

looks like CRAP.

Comment by Jaruto
    10:50 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

YAY! I have a ds.

12:47 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hoh, sounds like a grand adventure.

Probably not gonna be as creepy as "Event Horizon", but damn, I've never been disappointed by an SMT game before.

Comment by KurenaiOokami
    18:26 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

How can you say "The platform will be the DS, which is probably enough to end interest in it,"?

The last one, Devil Survivor, on DS was excellent.

03:49 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Persona is too casual. SMT is more hardcore. The character design might be a little strange but I hope the plot won't disappoint.

03:58 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Persona is an SMT game too, dumbass.

04:01 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Persona is only branded as a SMT game for western audiences, dumbass. In Japan it is just called Persona 4.

Comment by Stonehound
    04:21 27/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Full elaboration: Shin Megami Tensei is a series title used rarely by Atlus Japan, and as an all-overarching blanket by Atlus USA. In Japan, the Persona series uses the Megami Ibunroku series title, which was also attached to the Japanese release of Devil Survivor.

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    00:49 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

At first I was like, "FUCK YA~! SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI~!"

Then I saw the platform would be the DS and I was like, "Awwwwww"

But then I read, "one of its female characters turns out to be a crossdressing boy" and I was like, "Thats nice"

Comment by AMAYA
    03:25 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i hope you know the 'crossdressing boy' part was referring to Idolmaster Dearly Stars - interest was low in the game because of its DS platform, but when it was revealed that one of the playable characters is a teenage boy dressing very convincingly as a loli, pre-orders doubled (and then some) practically overnight.

Comment by Taiga sama
    02:16 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hence why "strange journey"

Comment by sanimej2
    12:19 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

*insert laughter here*

Comment by dood
    00:48 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hopefully this will be localized fast.

It seems to use Devil Survivors's Interface which is a bummer, I want to see players sprites ditching out moves and not just a simple effect.

But still I have a DS so I'm happy its not on a PS3/X360/Wii.

Comment by Megaman0
    00:47 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

2 Black guys in a Japanese game? Isn't this some kind of milestone :P

Comment by Muyo
    00:46 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow Etrian Odysey 3!

Comment by Typewriter
    02:46 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Because Etrian Odyssey is the very first RPG game to utilize first person exploring + overhead map?

Comment by Arehexes
    02:30 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

thats what i thought

Comment by Mitsuo Kubo
    00:56 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll still probably play this...but I'd much prefer another PS2 game. :|

Comment by ArcheR
    00:56 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't get all that hate on the handhelds, especially the DS. A good game is a good game. I I don't even own any handhelds anymore and I still see them as greatly entertaining games.

This pretty much gives me another reason to get a DS when I finally get some cash again. Are portables really so bad? I mean, the Persona remake is my #1 reason to get a PSP.

I understand how underwhelming the technology may be, but Christ... portable gaming isn't this big black cloud.

Comment by the7k
    21:46 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Because of all the RPGs this gen, 99% of them are on the PSP or DS. Meanwhile, console gamers are STARVING for RPGs, and we are getting nothing but table scraps.

Not all of us like to play RPGs on portables. In fact, some of us downright hate it. The only way, ONLY WAY I'll ever play this game is if I download a ROM and play it with an emulator. If the only way I can enjoy an RPG is at home - free of distractions - why should I put a crink in my neck from looking down at an unnatural angle for hours? Why should I play on a small screen when I could play on a big screen?

I'll save my DS for something along the lines of Bleach DS, Geometry Wars, Contra 4, Metal Slug 7, etc - you know, short-burst arcade-y games, where if I have to put the game away, I don't have to rush to a save point. Games where the story isn't important, and so I can feel free to just skip straight to the action and not worry about missing some story just because some kids are screaming while I'm playing the DS in the middle of eating at McDonald's.

15:43 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it has to do with the technical limitations of the portables. Even the humble PS2 still beats the crap out of both the DS and PSP. Especially when it cames to storage. (Lack of VA and big 3D maps)

and i think people are just dissapointed with the lack of a next gen SMT game as of today.
    i know i am... i wanna see my demons in full HD glory already.

01:24 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

id say psps & other handhelds are more price friendly than PS3 by a long shot.

PS3 is good for its price but not everyone can afford that. (especially over here)

But hey, Sony owns them both so no problem to them...

DS is another story.

01:17 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Good god, look at those Cyberman helmets. One of the enemies better be a strangely dressed Englishman with a PhD in crazy shit.

Comment by MaidNiac
    03:00 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, there's Satan in a white diaper in this game..

01:15 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Isaac? What happend to you?

01:15 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Back to the old school SMT!

Comment by Riful
    01:09 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

When will these people stop with the handheld games? Why am I going to sit here and play a game on a tiny little screen with crappy graphics when I have a PS3 and a 360 hooked up to a 42 inch 1080p flat panel? Original games to the consoles and ports to the hand helds dammit.

01:20 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

More people own DS = more people playing the game/more money to them.

Also, handhelds are in dire need of some good games, so that's good news.

15:49 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the DS maybe. The PSP's recent surge of games makes me a happy PSP owner.

I had some serious buyers remorse for that thing until recently...

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    00:42 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like a cross between dead space, mass effect and astro fighter sun red. 0-o

Comment by Taractis
    05:51 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

When you put it that way, I'm totally buying the HELL out of this!

Comment by MusicalNote
    00:36 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Did someone say trap? No? Okay. I'll go back into my hidey-hole now...

Anyway, The game doesn't look interesting, which is sad. I'm not much of a scifi buff though. Place elves or humans in tunics on those pages and I'll admit you'd likely have me excited for a few minutes.

I like handhelds more, to be honest. Console games are fine, but I prefer the graphics and play style of handhelds.
    Then again, I'm still pretending it's the SNES era and that 3D games don't exist. I'm probably not a good example of the market.

00:14 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The second DS SMT in a row? Sweet, although unexpected.

Comment by AnonymousZ
    00:11 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hate that kind of interface. This laziness is inexcusable!!!

16:44 18/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You have a point there. Using that kind of interface back when the franchise was on the Super Famicom is understandable, for the most part, but the DS is more than capable of processing multiple sprites or multiple character models. This is just another case where the old school style doesn't cut it.

Comment by knee_san
    00:06 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Dead space anyone?

Comment by taishi tetora
    Comment by Ragefat
    04:14 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

+2 - That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the main character (guess he is).

Comment by Storm Wing
    07:16 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A trap within... XD LOL

Comment by King of Hentai Gods
    04:38 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

looks funny, might dl to try out b4 buy one...

04:22 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

angry anonymous is angry

Comment by Fat Cat Lim
    00:33 23/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The uniforms really, really look like Dead Space. Probably a homage.

Comment by Firaku
    12:46 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If they striped the gold armor shit off the character design and re-designed it it could be a bit better.

battle inerface also looks crap imo