Valkyria Chronicles 2 Announced, Fans Weep

valkyria-chronicles-tank

Superb strategic RPG Valkyria Chronicles, which has been adapted into a popular anime and manga, is set for a sequel.

valkyria-chronicles-2

As if this were not bad enough, the game switches pace from stirring martial drama to hackneyed school RPG. The graphical style also looks to have taken on a more shoujo-esque tone than the original, perhaps indicating this title is looking to target the female demographic.

The story itself takes place a few years after the original, with the academy students forced to tackle a rebellion in the south of Gallia.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is set for a winter release. The site is at valkyria2.jp, with the major update due in a few days.

How a PSP school spin off justifies being called a full sequel to what still ranks as one of the most original titles on the PS3 is thus explained: “It’s for a handheld but we don’t want users to think the quality will be reduced.”

Possibly they would have done better to stick to calling it a gaiden rather than inciting fans expecting a full PS3 blockbuster, as already a negative reaction is evident… It may just be the case that a full sequel was canceled or delayed however.

You can also read Sankaku Complex’s review of the first game – it is easy to recommend.

Via Hachimaki.

07:47 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

now i know what is the weep part...

06:42 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I really don't see the point of all the bitching outside of console exclusivity, which I can understand all too well. IIRC, they were initially planing on releasing a version for the PSP to begin with, so this is more or less going along those lines. While I dislike it actually being a sequel, (And Raita's designs not being a part of it.) honestly the game will port well given the combat system's design and given the quality of the first game, it does no good whining about what they will do to it.

Who knows if they can somehow get a balanced multiplayer to work with it and improve the formula a bit, it will still be a great game.

What we should all be bitching about instead is if Sega will bother to release it internationally, given how much "loving and caring support" they gave the first one on this side of the Pacific...

Comment by Seraphim
    07:50 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can agree with you there. Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3 was a jewel in the sand where I live (New Zealand).

I for one am looking forward to this sequel. The PSP could do with some better games instead of [INSERT PORT HERE].

13:22 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The bitching is because Sega downgraded its second most awesome HD new IP(the other being Chromehounds)to a potentially generic PSP game.

Comment by Ero-Sennin
    Comment by Shino
    06:06 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If it was meant to target girls, couldn't they have gotten Ogasawara Uki to do the designs at least? If I recall, she drew the Valkyria Chronicles yaoi manga under a pen name.

...I miss the RAITA designs.

10:55 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The school setting ruined any chance of me buying this sequel. Forget that fact that its coming to the PSP, one look at the medic in a skirt spells anime bullshit. Plus the VC anime is miles apart from the game so it also fails. Just when Sega was getting on my good side again they go and do this shit.

Sega, you fucked up.

11:05 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's awful nice of them to be offering the sequel for free....If you catch my drift. It's their mistake, let them live with it.

10:25 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A Valkyria game could've worked perfectly on PSP. But... look at the art. WHAT THE HELL HAVE THEY DONE!? IT'S AWFUL! COVER YOU EYES!

Comment by Riful
    05:22 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not like it will see the light of day in the U.S. anyway. We still haven't even gotten the DLC from the first Valkyria game. Maybe if they added more gore and marketed it as a Call Of Duty spinoff it would have done better.

Comment by Riful
    05:26 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Meant to say "all" of the DLC.

03:25 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Already so much negativity about the sequel we've all been waiting for...
    Handheld =/= bad game

13:15 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Handheld=bad game

Fixed.

Comment by Berzerkazn
    04:52 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i just hope it at least does justice to it's predecessor by being good at least gameplay wise, the school setting may lead to some interesting moments that may interest my inner weaboo XD, but I have to say, being announced for the PSP, it's quality may be at risk.... I'm in despair now :( Please prove my thoughts wrong sega... (I wonder if it'll ever mention squad seven in game, or at least note a certain lovable sacrifice)

Comment by JP
    04:06 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That article was quite the kneejerk reaction Artefact. I thought you were a composed man of wisdom...

Comment by Artefact

Another one who doesn't understand the basics of writing.

Comment by JP
    15:37 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, you were being satirical. But what does that have to do with writing? It's interpretation we're doing, you're the one who's writing.

You scared me there for a sec bro. I'm not used to clever video game stuff you know. You sort of expect it to be dumb from the start so my literary interpretation scanner was off.

04:00 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The accompanying picture is quite a stellar example of phallic imagery.

Comment by Metalbunny
    12:07 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

crap...i thought i would get another good game for my ps3...Then..it became worthless..huhuhuhuhu..

07:03 18/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The Waahmbulance has been alerted and is on it's way.

13:09 08/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

way to fail....

Comment by lol
    15:33 17/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't care what the title is, I'm just happy that Sega is still interested in VC after it's mediocre sales. I'm looking forward to playing it.

This is just like when Final Fantasy fanboys/girls complain over Final Fantasy 11/14 being a "main numbered series". Leave it to the fantards to cry over everything.

Comment by hALOTOO
    10:40 17/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

NOOOOoooooooooooooooo
    no,no,no,no,no this can't be happening,say it isn't so.
    School RPG,what school RPG....wait a minute Sakura taisen + Valkyria Chronicles, it crazy enough to work. Okay I just have to wait and see. Hey if I stare at the loli valkyria harder I think I can see her pantsu

Comment by Teliko
    12:45 17/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why did they bother to put 2 behind the name anyways?
    They could've called it Valkyria Chronicles: (Insert sub name here)instead.

That way there wouldn't be much on complaints.
    Just think it a sidestory.

11:49 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I was so excited when i read this .... then saw the fail that is psp ..........

BULLSHIT

13:39 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

so the 3rd best selling system this generation is a fail!? The system thats sold more units than the 360 and PS3 combined is a fail!? Your mother is a fail, for having such a retarded child.

I can't wait for this game, never got the chance to play the first, because I don't own a PS3, but im picking this up day one.

06:07 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"the game is for PSP, not the PS3 as with the original, making it worthless."
    What? A game is made for PSP instead of PS3, thus it is automatically worthless? Cool logic bro. Yeah, I sure would love playing VC2 at work during my free time. Because I sure can carry around my PS3 and TV everywhere I go. And everyone knows no PSP game has ever been good or worth buying at all.

07:52 08/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Maria-san! ^^

10:03 17/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hahahaa - you see? PSP!^^

13:32 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"However, there is already a major upset – the game is for PSP, not the PS3 as with the original, making it worthless."

Can´t agree more.

Comment by Hennaikimono
    13:47 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I do have a PSP, but don't have a PS3 and I wanted to play VC. This news sounds good to me, if it comes to the states that is.

Lol, listen to all the sony fanboys

14:08 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PSP is Sony too, incase you didn't know that.

13:30 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don´t even own a PS3 but i would have preferred the sequel to be another PS3 game instead of a PSP game that is obviously going to have a lot of limitations.
    The school drama thing is very discouraging too,all that school simulation thingy may work well in Persona but they definitely don´t belong here.

14:28 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Perfect for my psp go precommanded

Comment by TeeHee
    14:45 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why? They already have the game engine built for the PS3 and put out a sleeper hit that picked up some popularity. And now they toss it to the dogs? Shame.

Sega can still redeem themselves by putting out Valkyria Chronicles 3 on the PS3.

I am a non-portable console loyalist. I was betrayed by my Game Gear back in the 90s when I couldn't even turn it on after 6 months due to bad wiring with the AC/DC adapter input. I swore them off ever since.

Laptops are acceptable, since I can show it off to my friends due to its better visibility. I let them watch me play Touhou, and I impress them. What's the point of playing a game if you can't show it off without giving someone a neck-ache?

Comment by cloner4000
    22:51 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not enough information is released so I'll hold my opinion on this for now. Need more screenshots

Comment by NT
    16:46 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Valkyria chronicles had one of the worst PS3 graphic so it won't be much of problems with converting to PSP, even so graphic isn't everything, I'm a huge Tales of fan so I know what I'm talking about

01:42 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hiroshi Kamiya As Jerry. Wonder who are voicing the other two.

Comment by Pox
    20:21 15/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

im excited! now i can get my valkyria on the move.. and the psp sure needs more good games on it

Comment by Ulysses N. Owen
    20:34 15/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It also may be just the fact that there are more PSPs in Japan then PS3s.

21:07 15/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

True, PSP sales are higher than that of PS3's

Comment by Scyris
    20:13 15/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Meh, Ps3 sucks anyway, hell so does 360 and Wii. Last good console was ps2. New ones have a severe lack of decent games. All are either remakes, or garbage thats been done 10 times over.

Comment by Renegade Angel
    03:20 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So you are saying VC has been done 10 times over?
    You sir are not worthy of being on this site!

20:12 15/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wish they would stop jamming that psp down our throats. It doesn't matter though since this probably won't see the light of day in the united states as we still haven't gotten the downloadable content from the first game that's been out over a year. Maybe if they upped the gore level and tried to push it as a call of duty spinoff the American public would go for it.

13:10 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

damn were you wrong you douche!

Comment by CowExtract
    01:28 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually they've been available for a while now...

Comment by CowExtract
    01:22 16/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's funny... I could have sworn that I downloaded three add-ons from the Playstation Store a month ago...

19:54 15/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Me thinks that Sega deserves a massive facepalm for this flop/screwup.

Comment by Tate
    20:11 15/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

crap news. this is why i hate handhelds, creating so much spin offs and insignificant titles based off original games.

I wouldn't mind if the psp game was a upgraded port or something, but a sequel to the first game? that's just not cutting it. you would think that after such success with the ps3 game and anime they would at least invest more resources into the franchise.

fucking sega, no wonder you guys aren't in the hardware business anymore...

Comment by ToastCrust
    21:14 15/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"success"