Nintendo’s Latest Gameplay Innovation: Cheat

idolmaster-ds-stylus-abuse

Nintendo is said to be planning to accommodate hopeless or merely impatient gamers who get stuck in games by making more of its games feature a “skip” feature, whereby difficult segments may be bypassed entirely.

The measure is to be concentrated on “action” games reliant on speedy reflexes, and will be featuring on both the Wii and DS.

The motivation behind it appears to be a desire to embrace casual gamers whose only experience of a “game” may be Wii Fit; previously some concern at the length of certain games and their ability to be completed by players with careers has prompted similar measures elsewhere.

Via Gigazine.

Proof, as if any were needed, that Nintendo’s consoles cater almost exclusively to “casuals”? Of course, cheats are nothing new, but usually they are not promoted as an integral feature of the title…

• I wished more games had a skip function. Die more than ten times, the skip is unlocked,
    and then just skip the mission and go to the next episode.
    Instead of the game just get thrown in the trash can.

I had many games wasted because of hard missions or impossible bosses.
    50$ down the toilet there.

In SM-Sunshine, the impossible tasks just got piled up, after a week of nothing to do, i sold the game.

In Halo PC demo, on the “Normal” difficulty, it were impossible to kill the bigger aliens.
    I dried out at least 10 weapons ON A SINGLE ALIEN. And it took him only two hits to kill me.

If a movie has a scene you don’t like (or hate)
    Fast forward, skip, or make a sandwich. Nobody is forcing you to watch an horrible scene in a movie,
    and neither should a game!

• I got two words for anyone who thinks that skip features are anything new for Nintendo consoles: WARP ZONES.

Super Mario Bros., the game that was bundled with my original NES I got for Christmas back in ’85, was ripe with skip features built in as a part of the design. You could beat the game with only playing a small handful of the levels by utilizing warp zones.

Far from detracting from the game, it added new ways to play through it, for instance seeing who could beat the game with the fastest time, or bragging rights for playing through the entire game without using a single warp.

Here’s another instance from a later installment of that same franchise; I love this video, hehe:

• The fact of the matter is, this could potentially prove to be a good thing for both casual and “hardcore” gamers.

Think about it this way: Nintendo won’t have to hold back from making a challenging game for the sake of casuals. They can make the game as difficult as they want and add in their patented “skip” feature for the casuals to use. For all the gamers, we can just ignore that the function ever existed and play our beloved Nintendo games without the watered down difficulty levels.

The gaming INDUSTRY needs money to function, like any other business industries. Nintendo doesn’t need the oldie gamers like us for their $$$ anymore; Nintendo is making shitloads thanks to the “non-gamers”. So, adding to that, what Nintendo is doing should be a welcome change as, again, they won’t have to limit themselves for the sake of casuals.

The only people who will be butthurt about this change are not looking at the big picture.

• Hennaikimono says:

What did anyone expect from an article by Artefact about another system, especially if its not PRASING Sony or any of its Playstation systems.

I agree with some of the posters here, you “hardcore” players don’t have to use the OPTIONAL cheats.

• Anonymous says:

I don’t see how some other guy hitting the skip button on his game is going to ruin your game experience. It’s an optional thing for people who don’t want to let a difficult section of a game frustrate them and ruin their fun, because their definition of a fun game isn’t one that makes you play for hours just to get good enough. It’s Easy mode. If you can beat it on Hard, good for you, but don’t go yelling that there shouldn’t even BE an Easy mode. They’re trying to cater to as wide a demographic as possible, and you’re not the only one playing those games. Go ahead and be hardcore, but don’t expect everyone else to do the same.

• Anonymous says:

Actually both are ridiculous.

The gamers who get so fired up for this news who don’t understand the word “optional” makes it hard for me NOT to do a facepalm.

On the other hand those who defend this thing because they see it useful(for them) and try to act as smart as the other guy makes it just as hard for me NOT to do a facepalm.

So basically it’s a double facepalm.

So just to prevent further retardation induced by both sides I just say… I don’t care whether you waste your money or your time. My games are to be played on the RIGHT time and must justify what I payed for.

• Anonymous says:

Next thing Nintendo is gonna do is make movies but still call it a game. Then they’re gonna release a console that does nothing but make you sit your ass down. Of course, by doing that, you’re still “gaming”.

• Anonymous says:

Next thing Nintendo is gonna do is make a movie and call it a game. Then they are gonna make a console that does nothing but making you sit your ass down and still call it a unique gaming experience.

• Not that it totally bad idea…
    I think it’s ok if after ~20th in a row failed attempt to bypass some obstacle, such button would appear (or maybe just lower hardness/invincibility button).

But actually, to be able to bypass any part of the game anytime frome the start – that’s totaly suxx. What kind of jeneration would graw playing the games with “i Win” button ?
    As a fan of ideas lying on anime/manga background, I dont want to see such a useless generation at all. Thats just scares me.

• Hmmm

Nintendo

You want the game to be hard – go ahead have fun.

You want the game to be easy – go ahead have fun.

Either way I gets your money.

This is a very smart financial move other Nintendo’s part and the only ones whining are the so called “hardcore” (rofl) gamers.

You are playing the game because you want to play it, the challenge you wish to experience is up to you.

Crying because it’s not fair that someone saw the ending who played easy mode while you played hard mode is hilarious.

I am actually an old school gamer (someone who knows there was a time before FF7). I couldn’t care less. Why? Because it does not affect me in any way.

Seriously all the people whining about “cheats” are just ridiculous.

• Exzample: so the whimps who cant get past contra 4 will cheat. If they where going to have so much trouble why’d they buy the game oh and only buy a contra game if you have the balls to beat it.No 30 or 10 lives code in contra 4 or 3,Japanese gamers are whimps.

• Actually, Japanese gamers kick the ass of most western gamers. Most games that are from Japan have the difficulty LOWERED in USA, because they play at ludicrous levels. For example, the Japanese “version” of Guitar Hero is called Guitar Freaks…and it is way beyond the level of GH.

There was one exception I know of: the original Battle Toads on the NES. That game was so hard, the scaled DOWN the difficulty for the Japanese version. That mother fucking game is almost unbeatable if you play it alone. It’s 100% unbeatable if you play it with a friend.

• Totally incorrect evaluation of location/difficulty correlation. Most games that get their difficulty lowered is because the developers thought the game was overtuned- because people playing the domestic release thought it was too hard (or tedious)- so overseas it gets easier.

Battletoads is actually a perfect example of this. It’s a game by Rare, a UK company, thus the second release (in Japan) was toned down.

And there are examples of the opposite. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were both explicitly dumbed down games inspired by the Wizardry and Ultima series’ – their creators wanted a simpler product to market to the japanese market.

Contra Hard Corps is sadistically harder in the US release because the life bar in the japanese version (removed in the US) made it too easy.

• Anonymous says:

Cheats are nothing new and I don’t care if Nintendo is promoting them for the casuals if we can still get good games.

Id rather have skipable action scenes than no action scenes.

• Midnightphantomillusion says:

Nintendo has always been for kids and casuals. Its old and cheezy. Going back to the days when all you had was a jump button in games. And theyve kept their cartoon kidzy image like disney runs the show for most of their existance. What did you think would happen when they went from the gamecube to the wii? Awesomeness? No. Awesomeness is dead.

• *facepalm* … at most of the posters on this site.

uuddlrlrba start

This shit isn’t new, and it’s not going to diminish the value of the gaming experience. Oh noes, someone of lesser skill can get to see all the parts of a game they payed for.

Sure serious gamer won’t use it… or maybe they will. Have you ever played a game that you really loved that had a really poorly designed enounter somewhere? The kind that was a major cockblock and will make you not want to play the game ever again? Being able to skip that is a good thing. Think about the Gigabolt Manowar stage from MMX8- that’d be a hell of a blessing to not have to endure whenever I play.

• Wait…now that I think about it…what’s the point of this? If I have to use the skip because I can’t finish level 3…how then hell am I going to be able to finish level 4? What about the items, and clues, and levels?

• Shoran Himura says:

i hate to go against the flow but in this situation i can only say this: i dont care!!!

really, even if ppl use this, its not like they are accomplishing anything!Those who really play the game knows what they did and how and that is not gonna change.

Its like win a race you paid beforehand: does that prove anything to you? AT MAX that you like to lie a lot and dont have the guts….

so, in a nut, this feature is not going to change the way I play the game since ill never use it so….

• Anonymous says:

So basically it’s a “I am a scrub” button, lulz.

I think that if any of these games that have this feature are online they should have some sort of marker on the player so everyone can get together and gangrape/mock them.

• Anonymous says:

It may be a good idea at first, but the thing is, if you’re playing through the game, and trying to finish without using this “cheat feature”, if you run into a part that you just can’t manage to do, what do you end up doing? If there was no cheatcrap, then you’d probably just keep trying, but with this theres that inevitable feeling of temptation.

which is terrible.

• Anonymous says:

Of course, you didn’t, at any time, consult a FAQ or solution for any game you played.

And I like your “You shouldn’t play video games” tone. It gives the feeling that you want to be superior. Too bad, you won’t be that superior now… Don’t worry there’s still plenty of games for people with a lot of willingness and times in their hand.

• Why? Because back in the good old days the only people who played the vidya were nerds who lived in their mothers’ basements and didn’t do anything else all day?

You know why it is that people don’t take video gaming seriously? Because of people who basically think like that being in the majority, which prevents gaming from expanding its audience and thus getting larger appeal. OBVIOUSLY. Just saying!

• In case no one has realized yet, the feature proposed by Nintendo isn’t allowing you to save your progress. It’s like a demonstration for little kids and their grandparents who don’t want to look online for an FAQ or video playthrough.

It’s really not that big of a deal.

• Like I’ve said the couple hundred other times this has been brought up, it means that the first party titles might actually become somewhat challenging again.

This is a good thing IMO.

• Anonymous says:

Of course, it’s just logic that if they don’t have to worry about difficulty anymore, they can put the most biggest challenges in the game without worrying about the beginner fanbase. They just found a way to get a lot more players to play their games and gives enough enjoyment for them.

But this option annoys the fanbase who thinks themselves as elitist and still want to be “elites”. Sounds better than NEET.

• …Great. Way to make gaming a joke, Nintendo. You used to be a respectable name, too… but now you seem to… well…

Mainstream Media:President Obama::Nintendo:Casual Gamers

Way to totally ignore the people that got you to where you are today…

• Who then go out and buy the R4 and softmod the Wii rather than buying it? People who actually buy their stuff are *always* going to be the target market.

Even if piracy isn’t removing a copy from store shelves, it DOES drive the cost of games up, since publishers can’t sell as many to get their money back, so they have to charge more.

• Even in poorly designed games (like lots of licensed pseudo-games on nintendo platform), it’s hard to find a decreasing difficulty as game progress.

Why would a skip feature, that would lead you to a level of equal or superior challenge, do for you ? watching cutscenes ? if your IQ and number of working fingers are below 10, just go back watching TV ^_^

or… say hello to WIIN, the plug and win machine 😀

• I’m fine with this as long as they don’t overabuse the ability. In some games, I’d like to play the entire game save a few levels due to some being either boring or really tedious.

Having a Skip option would prevent frustration for the games that have “Protect” missions which are a pain if the character you are protecting has stupid programming.

Pic Source now too 😛

btw – is there as DS-tan? cause I haven’t heard of one.

• Well, not only is Artefact’s description a complete misrepresentation (not unusual, as it’s meant to combine news and sarcasm, but most commenters don’t seem to get that), but the comments here are pathetic. I thought discussions about this were bad on GameFAQs, but this is just sad.

• Man, give this a break…

C’mon guys, if you want to play hardcore then don’t buy the games that have this feature. It’s not like they’re going to be made for you guys anyway.

Unless if your senior citizen uncles/aunts/parents/grandparents can play your favorite game better than you.

• First party Nintendo titles include Zelda, Mario, and Metroid — and it’s Nintendo themselves who got the patent.

They’ve been easier more recently than in the past (at least, this is my understanding of the popular sentiment) in the past but to say that only easy games would have this feature is nonsensical. If they’re easy, why would they need it at all? I suspect that while this may not mean a return to Nintendo hard, it will mean that those games will be getting a difficulty BOOST. This was designed with Zelda in mind if the patent documentation is to be believed.

However, keeping in mind the feature is obviously completely OPTIONAL is a good thing.

• Anonymous says:

Because spending countless hours of your only life on this earth to beat some shitty little game that requires millisecond timing and pixel-perfect jumps just so you can brag to your nerd friends is in the opposite direction from retardation?

• Anonymous says:

If it’s hard skip the damn thing? Heck.. They wouldn’t make something unbeatable. At least not the minority of jerk developers who want to torture their players.

It’s not saying that you should finish the damn game in one sitting, rather it was the dumb idiot who can’t control himself that does so.

What’s the point of playing a damn game if you’re not going to play it as it is. Heck while were at it why don’t we get bigger hoops on the Basketball court so that all the idiots can do it. And why not make freehand drawing a PHOTOGRAPHY class that way we’d be making it in it’s image. Open notes in Exams? Fast food instead of cooking you’re own damn food? Money talk rather than smooth talk on dating? Using a calculator for computing 1+1?

Need I type more?

Ahh but who cares.. Let the assholes waste their money. Including the two above me.

• Anyone familiar with the term “NINTENDO-HARD”?
    I don’t know how to feel about loosers getting to see the end of games, but I don’t think it’s that bad. I can still stick with my 20 year old games. Who needs those end-generation-consoles anyway? Now excuse me, I have to kick some robot-master asses on my normal gameboy.

• Watanuked says:

Skipping level options happened to me. Once a game asked “DO you want to skip this level?” I was like…….=_= am i really that bad? ;_;
    I decided not to skip.-_-

This will only cause many gamers to lack skill in games. NO GOOD WILL COME OF THIS!O_o

• Reason I don’t like this is that it cheapens the game. You won’t be able to brag “man, I beat this game” to your friends, you’ll have to bear the ramblings of all the n00bs who “finished” the game. It’s just like in real life, if I work hard and get a B+ on my exam, and one guy cheats and gets an A+, then I will be frustrated and upset. Bottom line, if you can’t finish it, that’s not the game’s fault, it’s yours.

• Anonymous says:

imho I think it’s a great idea, and should be implemented asap on every game possible.
    Reasons:
    1. It’s optional. Serious gamers might not use it, but it’s there just in case, like easy mode.
    2. It helps combat occasional bad game design, bugs, and boring chunks (Fable 2: Spire story arc).
    3. It makes the game more fun by reducing player frustration.
    4. Enabling your customers to use your product how they want, so they can get maximum pleasure from it, is just good marketing.
    😉

• Nintendo seems to think, or at least hope, that their hardcore base isn’t conceited to the point if they make it easier only for the “casuals” they’re trying to raise into hardcores, the old hardcores will abandon them.

I remember reading an article about Nintendo’s plan. They started in the “Blue Ocean”, gathering a larger base, and are slowly going upstream, taking over everything in their path. In a few years, Nintendo will be back to making the hardcore games we know and love.

• Anonymous says:

Not a problem. Don’t use it if you don’t want to.

I support the measure. There will be those who are unable to clear certain game requirements and if this can help improve their gaming experience, it is a very good thing indeed.

• I see this as a rather pointless feature. If you’re that casual of a gamer or simply aren’t good at video games why would you play in the first place. Doesn’t that kind of defeat the point of buying a $50 game just to turn it on and see a congratulations screen? What satisfaction or sense of accomplishment would one gain from that?

• Anonymous says:

Who said that the players will use them continuously. It’s funny how people like to exaggerate things. Maybe people want to play a game for their enjoyment and activate this option if they’re loosing on too difficult parts. Everyone doesn’t want a “sense of accomplishment”. They just want to enjoy the game like they want.

Everyone does that when they have a friend who plays a lot. Never had anyone gave you the controller saying “Can you help me pass this boss/level/… ?” ? Happened to me a lot of times. That’s exactly the same thing but with a AI this time. And I never told them that they were suckers who buy a game but don’t know how to enjoy it. Because it’s entirely arbitrary and personal.

• No one said anything about using this feature constantly. There’s a difference between exaggeration and sarcasm. If someone is really just playing a game casually for enjoyment rather than accomplishment then progression or completion of the game shouldn’t matter. I mean, if you get a kick out of just playing the first three levels every time you turn on a game isn’t that what matters? I was arguing more at the idea of buying a game you can’t play very well and skipping most of it with the press of a button. I’m someone who buys their own games and I’ve noticed Nintendo’s increased pricing on their games. If I’m going to spend a lot of money on a game, I want to play it myself, beat it myself, and get more than my 50 bucks of enjoyment! That’s not exactly going to happen if I’m skipping “all the hard parts” Most games get harder as you progress anyways so more than likely if you’re having troubles on an earlier level, you’ll probably have troubles on the later half of the game as well. “Ooooh damn, I died! Skip! Let’s see next level, next level. Wow, that’s a lot of guys. Skip! And skip that one! And skip again! I WIN!”

However, this seems like ploy by Nintendo to drive sales or to introduce a new audience, but how many people will buy video games now just because they’re really easy to beat? This whole idea doesn’t really bother me or shouldn’t bother anyone for that matter. Remember, you don’t have to use the option if you want to play the game.

• I’m pretty sure the article has no mention of puzzle segments in any type of game nor does it pertain ONLY to action games, but rather concentrates on “action games reliant on speedy reflexes” Now with that said a game that comes to mind would be something along the lines of Devil May Cry which have “lots of guys” So my “Wow, that’s a lot of guys” comment is actually a pretty clever and fitting (and not to forget sarcastic) argument.

However if you consider Nintendo’s library of games, they don’t have a lot that would really make effective use of this feature. Especially the Wii seeing how most Wii games, especially their action games have a unique way of playing through the game that’s supposed to be fun and entertaining. Even if you die you want to replay it and try it again, skipping it would take the fun out it.

Overall I don’t see this as anything that would help or hurt Nintendo. I don’t believe anyone will buy or not buy a game because they have the option of skipping certain parts.

• I thought the article said this feature would only be available during puzzle sections of action games.

I’m pretty sure puzzles don’t have enemies, so “that’s a lot of guys” is a bad argument.

It seems okay. Genetically, not everybody has the same mental potential, so if your brain literally cannot wrap itself around the concept of a certain puzzle you can skip it.

I also agree with the feature at the beginning of the game.
          “Do you want to enable Skip feature? Yes.”
          “Are you sure? You will not be able to save your progress!”

Also, perhaps Skip will become active if you spend a certain amount of time in a puzzle without solving it (say, 30 minutes.)

All in all, you don’t have to use it. If your finger slips and hits the Skip button, who’s the one that’s bad at games now? 😛

• Anonymous says:

The same stupid arguments have been heard on slashdot already.

Before that, there were cheat codes, Action replay and guides. How’s this any different ? If you’re so good, what are you complaining about ? Just don’t use it and that’s all. It’s not like it’s going to hurt you. Options are options.
    There’s a lot of games where anyone can cheat and say they “finished” the game. Hence, any PC game with some “cheat engine” will do the trick.

This is a clever move since it allows people, who get really stuck on a part, to learn how to pass these parts and get past the frustrations while enjoying the game. Thus, Nintendo doesn’t have to implement different level of difficulty and they still can put real challenges to hardcore players who “won’t use such n00b thingy !”

Frankly, all I see here is the same “WTF n00b, l2p !” players who trash any other player who’s not “as skilled as them” on a lot of forums.
    All Mario Bros, even 3D ones, have some really tricky parts and without experience with such games, it’s only frustrating and boring. Even more when you have to do it again and again.
    If you’re just jealous than you little neighbor can now say that he’s finished the last Mario in some hours, you need help.

To finish this little rant, this is a single player game ! It’s not like they’re doing this in games where you can compete with other players. It’s a bot integrated in a game which you’ll play *alone*.

• ^ “[a section very heavily paraphrased] Cheat codes, trainers, gamesharks/actionreplays/etc. already exist all over the place, how is this any different?”

This. The official endorsement slightly shocked me at first, but all this is doing is just making those plentifully-existing cheats more easily available to people who don’t want to or [i]know to[/i] go to a cheat-compendiun site.

• A tricky part in Mario? I played most of them as a kid and they never had any real challenge. You know, there are the mario-games and the nintendo-hard games, like the first mega man or some castlevania games. But mario and tricky parts? come on.

• Anonymous says:

Never played 3D Marios, haven’t you ?
        Some parts in Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine were frigging difficult and annoying, giving the fact that the 3D cameras were so badly managed (and manageable) in those games that you could just lose because your current viewpoint doesn’t allow you to move to the correct place. The worst was Mario 64 on DS for this. Doing the same level again and again because of some stupid limitations or ridiculously hard places suck too much time and was just frustrating.
        Mario Sunshine Bonus stages were challenging enough and if you didn’t find them that challenging, that’s great for you but it doesn’t remove the fact that you needed to master the game to get past them and I don’t think that new players can just win in those levels, without multiple hours.

Quite frankly, if you have enough time to finish the Megaman, maybe this option isn’t for you. But you’re not alone and everyone haven’t the same time schedule nor the same willingness you had when you were a kid.

• Anonymous says:

I think that this will be okay as long as It doesn’t affect me, for instance they should ask at the start of the game ‘do you want the skip festure to be enabled?’ and if you say no it dissapears forever and all is well

• I hope to contribute at least an intelligent comment to this issue.

I belong to the first generation of gamers (currently late 20’s, early 30’s) who grew up just as computers and consoles were introduced.

I know how it like to spend close to 100 hours on a good game. But that was so high-school or college break. I just don’t have the time now to do those things unless I sacrifice some of my other responsibilities.

What’s needed are frequent save points, or the ability to save as often and as immediate as you can. Because there is no way I will be able to replay a stage or a dungeon that takes, for example, an hour to traverse before you get to save. There is no need to tone down the difficulty. Just the ability to go do something else because I really, really need to go do that something else instead of giving in to my obsessive-compulsive behavior to complete more of a game.

Granted, though, I no longer play action games. In fact I rarely play anything real-time at all. The RPGs and strategy games I play are turn-based. I do realize I have degraded in my motor skills since I’m not as young and athletic as I used to be. But more that I prefer to think and strategize regarding the game, rather than button mashin. Plus, I won’t sweat and therefore potentially soak/ruin the gamepad or the keyboard.

• DonPhelippe says:

I feel the exact same way too. No more action for me, except for PC (I DEMAND MOUSE) FPS, or RTSes that allow for easy mode. I don’t have neither the time nor the inclination to go amok for 100hours when the only time I get to check out a game is around 22.00 in the evening (after being @ work since 09.30), therefore I have to cater to other needs first.
      Same generation, same situations. Plus I grew up with computer gaming using a keyboard as a controller and later on a mouse even. So facing an action game at the DS, well, I simply can’t get it. Same with RPGs even, that demand ridiculous amounts of time and grinding. No siree.

• Anonymous says:

Typical. Aside from a few hardcore gamers, most Japanese fail hard at gaming- which is why RPGs are so popular, they don’t take any skill. You just grind until your character does the work for you, no skill required…

• Honestly, sometimes that’s true. You CAN grind so much that you’ll beat Erde Kaiser Sigma in 10 turns without dying once. But even THAT takes more work then pushing the “I win” button

• A few mmorpgs already have the “I win” button. Destiny online and Jade Dynasty come with their own botting software and features like meditation which lets you level by doing nothing. Honestly, I like it because I don’t have to grind without sleep until my insides bleed anymore…

• s1l3nt_n18t says:

What’s the point in even playing if you can freaking skip over the hard parts!? That’s why we are gamers, we’re different from other people in the fact that we have the patience and skill to do electronic feats that others cannot do. Does Nintendo not realize that most gamers know they are “different” and are okay with that? Stop dumbing down games just for the sake of the Casual audience Nintendo! Its called patience. You try until you succeed, or you give up. Simple as that.

• its not targeted towards gamers. its targeted to people who dont even play their games after they get stuck on the 3rd level. this way every sped out there can feel like they are good at games even though they couldnt get past the 3rd level.

• Anonymous says:

GREAT! now I can go out and spend 50 dollars on a game and skip through the whole thing in about 2 minutes and tell everyone how much a winner I am! who wants mustard on their irony?

• Yes! This is quite a modern idea! Let’s lower all standards down to the lowest level! Can’t pass a test in school? No problem! We’ll make the test easier until you pass! Kids can’t win at sports? Aha! No more keeping track of the score so NO ONE looses and EVERYONE’S a winner! Can’t win a video game? Bah! Here’s an “I win” button so that you can overcome that pesky “lack-of-skill” thing! Enough of this improving ourselves nonsense! It’s time to lower the bar SO low any monkey can succeed!

• this is the worst thing ive seen so far. its utterly killing the gameing market. were going back to the 80s where everything was just a mediocre version of something else. soon no one will buy any games for another decade. the gaming community cant run itself.