Evangelion Movie Trailer is Hollywood Quality

eva-us-poster-crotch

Funimation has released the trailer for the English dubbed American edition of the first of the Rebuild of Evangelion movies, “You are (Not) Alone”, the second of which recently hit Japanese theaters.

Fans who have watched the original trailers cannot help but notice the stark contrast in style between the two, and many are not amused…

The all-American version:

Original Japanese versions:

(More detail of the recently re-remastered Blu-ray version is visible in the previous article)

The original Japanese trailers basically shows scenes that would evoke memories of the TV series, coupled with the song Fly Me to the Moon, a much appreciated element of the original series.

The US version meanwhile focuses on the giant robot action, complete with the mechanical crotch shots seen in the posters above, making it look rather like typical Hollywood fare…

Even source Gigazine can barely contain their scorn, and fans are generally scathing, though of course the reaction of the wider cinema going public is what will be of ultimate concern to the distributors, for better or for worse…

Comment by Suzuku
    09:21 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Okay, I don't see the problem. So the promo has more of an emphasis on the action rather than the nostalgic and sentimental value. Die hard fans were probably going to go see the movie either way, so Funimation's main goal would obviously be to pull in new viewers, and how do you do that? By getting them interested in the movie. I'm fairly certain most people, or at least Americans, wouldn't look twice at a movie promo if it just had some pretty music and vague shots of some scenes. It's more acceptable in Japan as the Otaku culture over there is very wide spread, but here in America anime is almost non-existent in the mainstream other than Shounen like Naruto. If Funimation wants to make a profit off of this then making it "Hollywood quality" is the obvious route to go.

09:26 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Who the fuck cares? Its just a trailer. Its not like they altered the movie itself

Comment by Max
    10:16 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah there has been evangelion 1.0 to evangelion 1.01 then to evangelion 1.11

17:12 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Did the US people do that? No.

09:28 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

OH NO THE MOVIE MIGHT BE A SUCCESS HOW TERRIBLE ITS MY ANIME ONLY I'M ALLOWED TO LIKE IT

Is this american trailer supposed to be new? I saw it like two months ago.

Comment by Max
    09:12 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So that people know evangelion 1.0 is out now and will have a showings around july, august and september

09:29 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Never trust a trailer.

09:34 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The trailer is fine for it's democratic...You can imagine how people that are new to Eva watching the Japanese trailer would and probably think "...eeeettooo...MOU ICHIDO!..."

and liking Naruto or GTO is fine! I'm not a big fan but I'm not going to be put off just cause a bunch of fans that aren't Hard Core otaku but think they are, get in the way. They are plenty of people who fawn over it that ARE. Thats why it's still one of the major attractions in the lovely weekly shounen!!

Comment by Lss
    11:17 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

when 1.0 was aired on the big screen here, the poster they used was not what the japanese had.

what they used were well you probably could already guess.

i really like the original poster much much much more. the whole picture with them on the stairs just seems much nicer. it was a poster truly worth getting. cant say the same for what they used locally .......

Comment by DieHardjagged
    12:09 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You know, those 2 U.S Poster are like:
    "Its all about Action Baby"
    Which isnt really true.

Comment by WiiUnite
    12:08 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Assuming for a second that that trailer wasn't really well done(which I thought it was), there's no point in being angry about it...that's just the way north american cinema is. We don't get angry at final fantasy characters when their hair is physically impossible, that's just the way Japanese character design is:P

Comment by DieHardjagged
    09:44 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

.. Ah.. tell me people, why 1.0?
    They could also take a bit more time and release 1.11 right away in the Cinemas.. Why not?
    Milking the Cash Cow later with dozen Releases?
    1.0, then 1.1 and then 1.11?

Comment by maddeath
    18:37 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well as those f'ers at anime expo said last night they plan to release 1.01 on dvd this year and 1.11 on dvd and blu next year around spring time. but i have to say they really f'ed up the dub, its like they didn't even try to get anyone that worked on the original dub by adv or manga entertainment. the only returning voice actors i notice were the ones that played sinji and misato. at lest they come with the jap audio track....THOSE FUCKERS!

Comment by Mad Alric
    09:55 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't really see why people feel a need to be up in arms about the US trailer. Evangelion has had a prominent place in the Japanese (at least otaku, if not popular) culture for over a decade. Whereas the series is only really well known in the US among the first couple generations of anime fans.

The Japanese audiences that see it will be more receptive to the imagery and memories the original trailers evoke, while American audiences unfamiliar with the franchise might have been intrigued, but would walk away not having a single clue as to what's going on.

Comment by Max
    10:42 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I know what you mean, you can't truly appreciate this show unless you've seen the movies and the original series. If you just watch the movie you'll understand it, but you'll that the foundation of epicness the original show and movie gave you

Comment by Max
    10:44 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

but you’ll lack the foundation of epicness the original show and movie gave you

Comment by The Grey Ghost
    06:33 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It seems like the Japanese versions were geared toward appealing to the long time fans of the show, focusing on the nostalgic elements. Meanwhile, the USA version will draw attention from the new generation of anime fans that probably never saw the original show.

I'd favor the USA version, mostly because it builds upon the audience, bringing in new blood. The effect being both old and new fans coming to see it. New-generation Japanese fans might be perplexed by their trailer, since only the old fans would get it.

Comment by ArcheR
    05:48 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like it. And I refuse to be butthurt about the changes or whatever. The new trailer will help attract new fans to the series, even if it is misleading. The old fans will bitch no matter what so why even try to please them?

Comment by Punchmyballs
    06:30 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

because they are the ones who keep making this series a total success even after all the yeas that have passed.
    I agree they need to attract new followers, but the old fans are very important

Comment by Daisuke
    06:44 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yup you are right!! it's actualy the old fans who still make this anime alive!!

That's one of the reasons wich make stuff coming!!

Comment by Typewriter
    11:14 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And when the old fans die, anime dies with them?

Comment by ArcheR
    06:43 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sort of. The old fans are very important, but no series can stay a success if it only please old fans. If you are going to update a series, there is a whole new generation by now that needs to be exposed to it for it to be a true success.

And the movie itself is what does that. Pleasing the old fans with a trailer is really not going to do much.

All the true Evangelion fans are already following everything. They're aware of it. They don't need the trailer. I understand the disappointment some felt, but you can already hear it. Most hate the dub, tons never cared about the American version anyway, and many were following it in Japan (or, at least, every single Eva fan I know is already on the second movie).

There's a new generation of fans out there that barely know Evangelion. This helps reel them in. The savvy American fans seem to not care about the American version anyway, except to bitch about when it's not up to their standards. I'm sick of hearing all of it.

If Evangelion ever hits an American theater, I am so going. End of story. And if I see that trailer in a theater, I will lose my mind. Because I can actually enjoy myself.

12:36 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There is nothing wrong with the U.S. trailer. All you fags need to stop whining.

17:03 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You're the small time fag.

Comment by Metalbunny
    Comment by Ren ichimoku
    02:41 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hate to admit but the US version is still accept for the Western audiences taste. but still if we all follow on how Eva's story works than it's not just about big things hitting other big things and blow it up. Thats why for this case, I'll prefer the JP version cause the trailer has meaning and brings back memories from the old series for the fans.

Comment by kenjiharima
    03:22 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Live action? This will turn out like the old Gundam live action...

Comment by Mootley
    06:34 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

REMAKES ARE FOR FAGGOTS AND THE GULLIBLE.

the end.

Protip: The Japanese trailer doesn't tell you shit, unless you were already a raving otaku. The American trailer tries desperately to make it an all-action blockbuster. Both are failures because the story didn't need to be rewritten in the first place.

16:29 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It could've been better if Don La Fontaine did voiced it:p

"In a world constantly attacked by beings from a another dimension, a young boy struggles to save his city... and earn his father's respect."

"Toby Maguire as Shinji Ikari..."

"...Miley Cyrus as Asuka Shikinami..."

"...and Arnold Schwarzenegger as the voice of EVA-01."

"One boy... one giant robot. Neon Genesis Evangelion."

XD XD XD XD

Comment by Esura
    Comment by Esura
    02:07 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Um, whats the problem with the US trailer?

Honestly, weeaboos need to stop being such bitches. Obvious the US version is better than the Japanese version, which looks like a shit quality AMV.

Comment by DmonHiro
    02:15 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Please go back to sucking the dicks of the R1 industry and leave anime watching to people with a brain.

Comment by Esura
    21:57 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Please go back to sucking the dicks of the Japanese people who you think are your god.

10:03 22/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I really don't understand people's whining about the English dub. I saw it, it was pretty good - hardly anything worth complaining about. All these people saying there's no emotion and they could do better - really? I mean, how do you expect it to sound? Identical to the Japanese? All the lines are read just fine for what they are. My only real complaint was that they didn't bring back more of the voice actors from the original ADV dub, and altered some of the better lines from that version. (Like the unfortunate exclusion of "Feel free to take advantage of everything here - except me, that is!")

08:28 07/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The American one is better. The Japanese ones assume that you already know what the series is about. Honestly, if I didnt know anything about Eva, seeing the Japanese trailers would not make me want to whatsoever whereas with the American one, I at least get some idea of what the hell its about.

+ I fucking hate "Fly Me to The Moon"

14:05 06/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm going to have to agree with a lot of people here. I'm pretty sure Hollywood has been much more successful than the Japanese movie industry, therefore would have a better understanding of enticing their respective cultures. Meaning, mimicking the way Hollywood promo's their movies isn't a bad idea; and frankly, I thought it was a good trailer, even in spite of the fact is lacked any indication of the internal conflict present in the series.

I don't even think you could consider the two Japanese trailers to even be trailers; there is no narration or coherent plot illustration. If anything, they are just industry-backed AMV's.

19:09 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it's a trailer, so i can ignore it.

my problem with american trailers is that it's spelling out the story for me through key events. key events that i'd rather be nicely surprised by than spoilt. I do watch these things ALSO for the animation.

and as for the faggots who hate on naruto and GTO, don't be so elitist. Just because it's popular doesn't make it not good, learn how to have fun.

Plus, if you guys watch TV shows like Heroes, Lost and such, that takes away your right from hating on Naruto since it's written and directed better than a lot of the typical american shows you'd watch instead so you can pretend you're more socially acceptable.

Comment by Lump
    14:41 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just saw it at anime expo. It was great, except some of the voices didn't really match the characters. The original voice actors were better.

Comment by Charred Knight
    14:32 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

One is a commercial for Evangelion, one is a commercial for Utada Hikaru's Beautiful World.

The American trailer made me want to watch Evangelion until I remembered that Evangelion was completely boring.

The Japanese trailer caused me to buy Beautiful World on ITunes.

Comment by H_R
    13:43 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

did they changed eva's roar?

15:35 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

US usually butchers things up, but it was the only trailer that made sense. The other two are just freakin' AMVs.

Comment by Meimi132
    18:50 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

GAWD I hate when americans bastardize stuff...
    For all the good stuff they do, they mess up alot aswell...

That song on the JP trailer is Hikaru Utada right? I know I've heard it before.... *just checked* Glad I can still recognise her voice lol.

Comment by Omochikaeri
    16:45 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nobody wants a dub. Nobody wants *any* dub, let alone a dub with Spike Spencer in it.

02:06 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Weeaboo faggot.

09:55 22/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

SPIKE SPENCER HATES YOU TOO

17:10 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Weeaboo faggot.

04:48 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Who cares about the trailer, it's still the same fucking movie.

07:49 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wouldn't worry much about American, it's not like this movie is getting a very wide release. Much to my annoyance. Even though I think I might enter the theatre with some sort of portable device and the Japanese audio just so I wouldn't have to listen to those atrocious, wooden-sounding dubs.

Comment by ArcheR
    05:49 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What is the appropriate term for this situation... Oh, yes. I believe it is...

"This."

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    01:40 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks pretty good, I approve :3