Evangelion DVD vs TV: TV Re-Remastered?

evangelion-dvd-vs-tv

Fans have been surprised to note yet another remaster of Evangelion, with the newly airing HD TV version of Evangelion You Are (Not) Alone 1.** carrying a trailer differing both from the theatrical and DVD versions, with some saying it looks to be the definitive version.

The comparison is visible above, with the DVD on the left and the TV on the right.

Just when will the remasters end for this series?

For those wondering, the TV version also leaves Rei’s oppai well alone…

ayanami-rei-blu-ray-oppai-005

ayanami-rei-blu-ray-oppai-001

Comment by Tasunke
    Comment by Icy-nee-san
    02:48 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like the one of the right, i though it was the DVD version until i read farther down XD

Comment by roukou
    01:09 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The remastered version looks weird.
    But I'm sure I'll pic it up.

00:58 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The HD-TV screencap of Eva-unit 05 looks god-awesome.

Comment by animefan
    00:03 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

How many times I have to re-re-watch this again T.T
    Thank God they don't make this to every anime.
    I'd stop to watch them.

Comment by Iluna
    00:14 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not surprising since Eva 2.0 is on theatres, the remastered might have been provided by Studio Khara themself to match up with the theatres.

Comment by MusicalNote
    00:20 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm. I like some of both side. The shot of Kaoru on the right, for example, and the one below it. But I also like a few on the left. To me, the right side won though.

Comment by Shyster
    00:20 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"the TV version also leaves Rei’s oppai well alone"

Good to see they didn't fix what wasn't broken.

Comment by mazinga
    02:50 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Evangelion,why do they keep making new version is it like the freaking lord of the rings of otakuu culture.

Lotr had tons of revisions so does this why don't they just stop making new movies and stuff.

The series i presume is finshed Over does the series have such a cult following that it keeps kicking or what is it.
    I mean what are they getting at here all your seeing is the same story retold with new frames of animation,ok i can see remastering it but stop adding new things to it Gainax if they want to continue something make FLCL make sense.or continue that.
    God Gainax stop making new stuff for it it's over the series is DONE.Jesus Christ. make more FLCL that's a series that does need new episodes that they made.

Comment by Carrie
    16:53 06/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The remasters will continue until morale impr-- er, until Gainax keels over. (...harhar, "Keel" over.)

Some good things about both versions. The color adjustment is nice in some parts and the crispness is refreshing, but I still like the gloomy feel some of the others have. I'm torn.

I noticed they replaced the bitch-slap scene, though (as well as Shinji's amusingly manic expression) ... that's a bit of a drag.

Comment by taishi tetora
    16:13 06/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hmm. . . .
    i'll wait for blue ray ver then

Comment by metatron
    22:33 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well that's interesting

19:53 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i've loved dvd version. it's like dvd version got more ambiance, also drawings are more like old school.

07:58 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I prefer the left one.

Comment by Cerenado
    08:45 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

DVD's falling out of favor very fast...
    DVD's the new VHS now I suppose then.

Comment by DieHardjagged
    10:38 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

DvD > TV, my Opinion.
    I wonder when Hideo will stop his remastering Madness, i bet the Release of the DvD/BD will also be splitted in numbers, you know what i mean, milk the cashcow.

Comment by ajnac
    14:01 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

just how many version is gainax-anno goin to make? shesshhh... next time, they make PREMIUM or whatever. I'll stick with the blu-ray releases. oh well...

Comment by Role
    22:58 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I dunno... the more dark feel to the DVD version I think fits the series better than the bright pretty colors... I mean, it may just be me, but... The new 'remastered' HDTV version just doesn't seem to feel the same...

02:42 16/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i thought so too, but in some parts it was just too dark to see the characters on screen in version 1.01.
    i'm happy they redid it digitally and solved those problems. plus, i guess we'll see some details of those pretty characters.^^
    I guess here we have 1.01 (dvd) against the 1.11 final (tv) version.

20:47 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

TV version is oversharpened. Look at the faces, they look so much better on the left side.

21:09 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree. The left side gives that gloomy atmosphere. <3

Comment by maru
    20:44 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I prefer the DVD version for frame no.5 in the first image. The wires and the sunset fit well.

Comment by Stahn Aileron
    20:49 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm beginning to think Gainax is treating Eva like a computer program: Forever improving it (new material) and working out bugs (all the remasters and edition.)

They should start selling software if they wanna milk money from people like this. (NERV-brand "666" Firewall! Will protect you from hacking attempts by the equivalent of 6 bio-organic supercomputers for 8 hours! Reserve your copy today!)

01:40 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd get it! ^_^
    Or even better, NERV brand computers...

Comment by Exitium
    11:26 09/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can only hope the NERV brand computer I buy doesn't pull a "HAL" on me, I don't think my sanity could take it. T_T

I can see it now..."I'm sorry Exitium,I'm afraid I can't do that."

20:40 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Blah blah blah blah............this series to me was all a mental crazy thing which is normally a bad thing, but it was surprisingly a good mental crazy thing to me. And now a remaster..........why not just make more episodes DAMMIT! I say this out of an arbitrary nature, non inherent to anything at all. Seems like such an invidious sense at original artwork.

20:32 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm, The right one seem to look better...TV WON!!!

Comment by Hexa
    20:34 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeh, HDTV > DVD, who would have thought? :P

But seriously, aside from the resolution the colours have been nicely reworked, they're much more vibrant :)

Comment by Storm Wing
    21:58 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Re-REMASTERED FTW!! O_O;;

Comment by King of Hentai Gods
    02:40 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i'll buy if they fix rei naked angle, and full pic of her sleeping naked.

22:47 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I prefer the softness of the DVD shots in some of those.

I.e. the second impact, the one with Rei and the last one.

06:46 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed. You can definitely feel that deep-core evangelion vibe.

Comment by muteKi
    23:44 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually do as well.

Comment by Air
    20:38 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh GOD!!! when will Anno (Gainax) be happy. At this rate I'm gona wait five years after the last movie is made to get the Quad HD, Holographic-Green-Ray, Deluxe Directors Theatrical Cut V3.3, Region 2 edition, con (( Quad-ESTEREO ))

00:12 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's why I still haven't bought my Evangelion on DVD yet.
    Or Star Wars for that matter.

Comment by R
    21:14 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Worse yet, we'll watch (_again_) and even compare the differences. ¬_¬

Comment by Chen
    22:27 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's named EVANGELION after all. That much is a given.

Comment by KROSS
    21:54 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

absolutely -long term maketing

for me, i'll wait untill version 1.99 ,haha

Comment by chogiebear
    20:39 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That is some major differences. The remastered version is win.

20:40 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol whut? Aren't the pictures from the teaser of 2.0?

Comment by TMSIDR
    20:49 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yes, they are, at least the ones from comparison pictures. So the TV version of the movie itself probably isn't better than for example 1.11, only the teaser was improved. That's not a big difference....

Comment by infernus
    02:41 05/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, I don't see the big deal if it's just remastering the trailer. They ARE trying to promote it. This article is sort of a misnomer...

Comment by Artefact