Schoolgirls Shun Miniskirts! Long Skirts In Vogue?

koutaro-schoolgirl-panchira

Observers of schoolgirl fashion have been surprised to note a sudden boom in the popularity of low hemlines and lengthier skirts, with the mini-skirt now considered passé in some schools, and skirts routinely reaching down past the knee.

An intrepid reporter who visited several schools was shocked to discover nary a flash of thigh at all, with all skirts seemingly more modest than ever, so much so that it seemed the school dress code was uncommonly strict. A teacher soon corrected this misapprehension: “For two years now it has mostly been long skirts you see…”

A variety of reasons for preferring longer skirts are given by the students:

“Short skirts are just…”

“Skirts just have a cute shape.”

“I don’t want sock tan-lines, so I wear the skirt down over my socks.”

Naturally, practical or theoretical considerations have almost no bearing on female fashion, and schoolgirl skirts seem to be no exception.

2ch’s response is typically scathing:

“Whichever way you look at it, long is the least fashionable.”

“Long skirts are only permissible in 2d!”

“Japan is finished.”

“If it is too long thy just look like delinquents.” [delinquent schoolgirls have long preferred long skirts in Japan]

“I’m glad I won’t have to keep lowering my head whenever I’m going up a flight of stairs behind a schoolgirl.”

“Miniskirt boom ends.

Bloomers abolished.

Loli banned.

Sukumizu on the way out.

What’s going on?”

“I’ve lost my reason to go outside.”

“Ugly ones are better with long.”

“Finally the age has caught up with Marimite.”

“Make it more like Thai student uniform!”

schoolgirl-skirt-length

“Like this, right?”

“Japan must follow Thailand!”

schoolgirl-skirt-length-3

schoolgirl-skirt-length-4

“Mini>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Long!!!”

“Which is best?”

schoolgirl-skirt-length-2

Via Itai News.

Of course, regional variations may be at play here; similar research conducted in Tokyo last year revealed hemlines were as high as ever

Comment by Wandering_Youth
    17:05 19/07/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Long skirts look tacky and short skirts look way too indecent. In my opinion, the length of the skirt should be around the length of the second or third column in the picture showing all the different lengths of uniform skirts. The skirt should cover the thighs, but not go lower than the ankle.

In regards to the anime Aria, I believe the uniforms that the main heroines wore are considered a dress.

Comment by antimateria
    05:22 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

To be honest I like them more than mini skirts. They're more... elegant.

01:11 12/08/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I don't understand any of this. An ankle-length skirt is far superior to one that ends above half thigh.

Comment by Meimi132
    09:44 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yatta!!!! Finally! Many small children won't grow up so fast now that modesty might be coming back in fashion! lol

I mean instead of little girls dressing like hussies from the age of 8 or less.... Its been this way in the UK for the last few years... its depressing.. some girls in my school were wearing hotpants and no tights. Just hotpants. Although I'm sure most, if not all guys would cheer for that. Me not being a guy, I just think its a weird thing to wear in school...

Comment by solace
    09:47 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I say, just abandon the skirt altogether. Pantsu ftw!

06:22 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Economy follows the hemline if there going down thats a bad sign

Comment by mi
    07:23 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i prefer 2nd to the last

1st looks like a maid(no, not that kind of maid)
    last looks like a prostitute

Comment by shalala
    06:50 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Long skirts looks better.

05:06 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I grew up in the 60's when miniskirts were invented so I suppose I'm biased. But long skirts just make a girl's legs look ugly and out of proportion. That's it. No more, no less.

Comment by Deth
    07:25 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

O.o?

wait-a-minute...

I also grew up in th 60's... and true ...the miniskirt is fashionable, which is why I am also (kinda) biased...

but ~

"But long skirts just make a girl’s legs look ugly and out of proportion"

How can they (look) ugly when you can't see them?... though ~ I understand the - "out of proportion" - statement.

Am I misunderstanding here?

Comment by sunshinesan
    03:23 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This doesn't pertain to me. As long as(no pun intended) short exist in 2D, where it really matters, I'm good.

Comment by Onsokumaru
    02:00 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like that "Japan is finished" comment.

Comment by ataraxia
    01:20 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well. long skirts are common(read as required) here, and japan is my only hope of seeing schoolgirls wearing miniskirts. now they've done it.

*dies a little inside*

Comment by ChonnyD
    02:06 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Visited several schools"

Several.

Surely there is still hope? Not all schools in Japan are like this? Wasn't there an earlier article saying that schoolgirls actually liked school uniforms due to popular anime, and that some schools encourage those kinds of uniforms for more student applications? I'm pretty sure these popular uniforms are shorter in length.

Comment by maga
    02:26 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The world is becoming such a terrible place to live...

Comment by Jira
    10:29 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol right? Now mini skirts are gone...WTF!? Lets just toss the world into the deep depths of oblivion shall we!?!?!?!?!?

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    09:48 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Mini skirts are out and no skirts are in!!! its all WIN!!!(as long as it is panstu,no panstu or hot pants that is)

=^0^=

Comment by roukou
    04:28 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Short and long skirts only work on the right people.

Comment by ^^wlt
    03:07 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

oh the horror!

Comment by Mike
    02:48 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Going by the skirt length 3d picture, the middle or second from the left one. The long skirt has the wrong lines. It's should be flowing parallel with the leg past the hips otherwise you get what you see, a clown skirt.

The long 2d version is great since it does billow out as much.

Comment by Fonzer
    02:53 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

this remembers me on mions long skirt:

Comment by MusicalNote
    05:05 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't see why everyone is getting so worked up about this. I personally welcome the longer skirts. Girls tend to look too much like sluts now-days. Long skirts leave a little more mystery, you know? That and they can look fantastic with the right shirt. I mean, I'd take a high waisted long skirt with a sleeveless shirt of a flattering cut than a skirt that leaves so little to the imagination and a shirt that looks like nightwear.

This isn't the abolishment of short skirts, simply a point in which they aren't as popular. Give it a few years and we'll be back to the point where you're a quarter of an inch away from telling if the carpets match the drapes while you're walking down the hallway.

If more girls wore though highs, maybe then I'd get worked up, but as it is, nah.

Comment by ya
    05:32 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed. To me, miniskirts are still great, but there is a feeling of great maturity and beauty you can achieve with a longer skirt, given the skirt and the matching shirt are designed correctly.

See the following girl from Flyable Heart: http://www.hongfire.com/cg/showphoto.php/photo/141018

Comment by Deth
    07:34 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I also agree with you..

It also depends on the pattern placed on the long skirt.

Certain patterns will destroy that need to (imagine) what under the skirt...

Its like a Yukata... its covers completely... yet.. its alluring.

Mini Skirt ~

A good skirt length, colour, and style is *key* (imo) ~ a great set of legs should always be available to appreciate ^^
    The skirt does accentuate the curvature of the female, and at times, its very flattering.

Yukata ~

Because it leaves allot to the imagination, and that always starts that endorphins overload..

In addition ~ I would have to say... add long hair placed in a ponytail (to both) and it's a SURE FTW for me ^^!

You can't go wrong with that kind of powerful combination.

Comment by MusicalNote
    07:22 23/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh gosh~ Ponytails with long skirts and things like Yukatas are often so beautiful. I saw a girl at the local walmart once who was wearing a long skirt and a flattering shirt, her hair in a high pony tail, I swear I was blushing!

Comment by MusicalNote
    05:11 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Thigh highs*
    My apologies for the typo.

Comment by Zacharov
    12:54 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That is what I'm going about. Modesty can enhance the allure of a girl. It makes them more enticing because it leaves more to the imagination.

Comment by Metalbunny
    11:28 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Miniskirts FOREVER!! LONG LIVE THE MINISKIRTT
    Damn you japan..
    but if they don't shave there ahem...pubic hair ...
    i would prefer seeing them in a long skirt..or in shorts..or in pants..

Comment by roguelioness
    20:20 23/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i like the one with the girl rolling up the hemline.. the 3 shorter ones are the best in my opinion, if my shool uniform was like that back in the day its what i would have done least they dont have to wear trousers! all i had going for me was my gapeing shirt cos my boobs were too big.

Comment by hALOTOO
    04:23 24/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Have any of you seen a school girl wearing a long pants under a skirt, MY GOD those are hideous combination.I think teacher should let the student decide whether they want to wear mini or long, but I personally prefer mini.

Comment by Another mouse
    07:19 12/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Go ahead and wear one then, no one will stop you.

Comment by minakichan
    14:52 23/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I dunno, I think long skirts are kind of nice... they're rather elegant.

Comment by icecoldgangstaa
    16:39 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

“Japan is finished.”

I agrLOLOLOLee

05:48 21/02/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I've never really understood "short skirts" or "fashion" at elementary-high school level ... most kids don't even realize what fashion means. They (kids) just do as they see on TV or movies.

07:06 17/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think above the knee but not too short is perfect length.

Comment by lmdhm0000
    16:59 25/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Artefact said:

Schoolgirls Shun Miniskirts! Long Skirts In Vogue?

15:07 01/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think an equal length to the wist and the knee would be perfect

Comment by yonasu
    00:53 23/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The world will crumble, we'll have nothing to look at! It'll be the age of gay and the low birth rate will get even lower. The shortest version is just slutty, the 4th is okay and the 3rd is just perfect. The first two? NO!

Comment by dark-kyon
    10:31 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i am in dispair of this world where the girl uses long skirt

Comment by metatron
    17:27 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

“Long skirts are only permissible in 2d!”

Indeed kind 2ch anon

Comment by Sigh
    20:03 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So the woman don't wanna be seen as pieces of meat anymore, thats a new one.

Comment by Aeromax
    09:28 23/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

it's certainly easier to talk to people when they look like people

Comment by Seoh Jin Wei
    19:34 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

boy should wear skirt too , i wan upskirt my self!

Comment by Hangmen
    22:31 21/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Time to phone Juiz for 50 Tomahawk cruise missiles launched randomly onto Japan.

Comment by yuuji
    22:40 21/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hangmen, may you be our world's messiah.

LOL

Comment by Syntax
    23:58 21/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It was actually 60.

Comment by Hangmen
    01:05 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

10 had already hit Japan several weeks ago for the kowtowing session with Equality Now.

05:53 22/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Kim-Jong-Il FTW

Comment by Shaawin
    22:34 21/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

WHAT WILL SCHOOL GIRL EROGE BE BASED ON NOW?!?!?!

you cant just lift up a long skirt like you can a short one! you'd have to roll it up or some shit. fuck this makes me rage so much.

Comment by amcks
    22:39 21/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it makes it troublesome to fuck a girl with long skirts, and she may hides shits behind the long skirt....maybe it's easier for traps to assimilate with the crowd using long skirts?