Nintendo Strikes Back: 8 Years for DS Modchip Seller

ds-idol-master-play.jpg

A man convicted of importing 20,000 “majikon” devices, used to circumvent copy protection on the Nintendo DS, has been sentenced to 8 years in prison in a case which represents a victory for Nintendo and its efforts to stamp out sales of the popular devices.

The man, identified usefully as “Kim”, was handed the sentence by a Seoul court; the court had this to say:

“Suspect Kim distributed illegal software and devices for Nintendo’s console, and circumventing the copy protection on these devices is a severe crime indeed.”

The distributor in this case was indicted in 2007; it seems the courts have taken their time with him, though it is not too hard to guess who may have been funding or assisting the prosecution…

Via Innolife.

Nintendo has been vigorously pursuing “majikon” sales in Japan and elsewhere for some time now, though in most jurisdictions it seems such a long sentence is out of the question, and of course in the places actually manufacturing the units there are generally no prosecutions whatsoever.

22:39 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

who the fuck uses modchips for DS?
    just get a cartidge with microsd slot

22:47 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, the guys that made ps1/ps2/ps3?/Dreamcast/Xbox emulator should go to jail too. Nintengod just made a court precedent for other courts in other country to use to tried anyone/everyone? Fucking Capitalist should go to hell. Fucking socialist should go to hell to since they are the same. I think the only reason for him to go to jail was because he sells his card and not give away for free but the court/humanity has a tendency to fuck his own ass in any way possible. Get ready for more arrests and trials. Before the dust settles we ALL are going to drown on our own pile of shit.

Comment by Heavyoak
    17:26 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have 11,285,786,980 Rom's on my 1TB drive.

I really need to buy one of that chip/card.

Comment by Firo
    20:02 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You should. D:

Comment by Mario1-7
    17:18 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Korea Sucks! After that whole Hetalia thing they all need to burn in Hell.

19:39 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol? Just because it happened in Korea doesnt mean it couldnt of happened anywhere else. i believe in Japan, authorities are attempting to pursue this even more harshly.

you shouldnt place judgement on a country just because of a few mistakes (hetalia, in some ways was an overreaction)

Comment by yaku
    09:24 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, let's blame a whole country for one person's greed. Now excuse me I gotta blame all men for one rapist who attacked and killed women.

Fail harder.

Comment by Supakitsune
    19:42 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Can't wait til the DSi is hacked.

Nintendo won't be able to do much about DS ROMs loaded as DSiWare...

Comment by hALOTOO
    15:14 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

On a lighter note,I bought this PC magazine which came with a CD containing 100(maybe) of GBA games you could play on your PC

Comment by mozoki
    09:42 18/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not 8 Years, 8 Month...

Comment by Y10NRDY
    01:52 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

waitaminutewaitaminute??? 8 years... 8 YEARS? for a freaking mod chip? dang do you have to rape a loli in order to install this particular chip?

Comment by John Beak
    07:43 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Very, very wrong. Nintendo is losing my support.

10:46 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm lucky that the Nintendo laws, just as the cheap prices, doesn't reach here.

Comment by Loli Star
    10:45 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I am also a noob to Nintendo.

So this Majikon chip is a chip you install in
    a DS to play illegally downloaded games?

I don't own a DS so i'm guessing a DS comes with
    a USB port or something?

I'm glad PSP hacking isn't so damn complicated.

10:56 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually it's just a device you put in the DS's game card slot, and a micro SD card goes into it. You can load roms from your computer onto the micro SD card and play them on the DS.

Comment by Loli Star
    11:15 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So it's like a hacked PSP with custom
    firmware where you can add ROMS using a
    USB cord?

Does the DS have to me modified before
    using this Majikon in slot? Or should it
    would automatically?

Comment by Loli Star
    11:15 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

would = work

Sorry for the typo.

11:58 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, with the R4, all you have to do is have the firmware files on the MicroSD card. Then, you copy and paste roms in the main directory (or in another folder). Once that is done, you put the MicroSD into the R4 Catridge, and then you insert it into your DS and "play" it like you would any other game. Your DS does not need to be modified or anything. A stock NDS or NDS Lite should work without problems.

However, I don't believe it works with the new DSi. After all, it was created to counter these devices (because it has upgradable firmware, etc).

Comment by Loli Star
    12:10 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I knew teh DSi was created for a reason...lol
    Shit, it even happen to the PSP with the 3000
    series and some 2000 serieses.

Boy do these gaming companies try and crack
    down on free gaming. :p

Comment by psycholoner
    13:47 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yea..but a DSi flash card came out working on the DSi perfectly even before the DSi was released in north america. Psp 3000s also have soft hacks that lets you play commercial games on it. So much for that idea...

Comment by softbanker
    10:30 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Planning to buy NDS myself. I think I might check this out. Some games are really hard to come by here.

15:50 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not only that. Being in Europe means some things never hit the shelves here and since I am not into plastic and try to avoid it like the plague (for many obvious reasons) not only I cannot get some stuff I want from european web stores. In the unlikely case I order through a store, due to import taxes, I have to pay like 50-60 more euros to get the game I want.
    If there was a thing like high availability and games did actually get released both in EU and in Americas around the same time, I wouldnt bother that much.

Plus a modchip gives me the pleasure to *test* a game to see whether I like it or not and act accordingly. Unfortunately there are no "rent" shops here for NDS carts (are there anywhere?) so, I have to check if I like a game before I buy it.

Plus with a modchip we can do Jap dubs over games that are butchered during the English dubbing.

Comment by Atma
    10:25 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, I got mine right in time, because the second I did, Nintendo really came down hard on sellers. I should consider myself lucky.

I still buy all the games I like, too. They're still getting my money so they can shut up around me.

Comment by Holly
    00:39 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Same here, R4 was great. I've bought way more games because of it.

Comment by yaku
    09:41 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's great to try games you might be reluctant to buy. I regret at least 1/3 of the games I bought before getting the R4.

Comment by Holly
    18:01 18/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Half my gamecube games were awful, I wish I was more into the modding scene a few years ago.

Comment by yaku
    10:55 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Me too, I buy the games that I really like and am more likely to replay and use the mod chip to play my old point and click games.

23:52 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There is something incredibly sexy about girls using modchips...

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    10:23 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

meh CP nazis can bite me.... modchips should never be illegal.... its the sell of illicit software that should only be.....

I love my M3 tho PDA and video apps could be alot better..... can't find anythign better than the default mp3 player to handle touch seeking.

Games? I stopped buying games along time ago and worse yet free dose not make bad games worthwhile anymore.... and sense they no longer make good games....well.....

Comment by Narcissist
    10:39 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You need to have the M3 deluxe version (don't remember name, like a year ago I had it) with GBA addon for slot 2 (and also rumble pak for slot 2 included) to be able to seek in videos and stuff. The NDS can't handle it with its own memory, but with the GBA-addon with extra RAM for slot 2 you can seek and make applications faster etc.

Barely ever used my NDS though (ok, I played some Doki Doki Majo Shinpan), was just a little fun messing around with homebrew and such.
    It is not like one can bother carrying it around, when you go out you go out to do something which does not involve playing. The few times you have to wait for something you can just as well use your smartphone to play Monkey Island in ScummVM or browse Sankaku or something.

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    11:28 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have the M3 real + GBA slot thing, have a 8GB card in it.

I did a HQ video 24min long in dqg seeking took like 3-5 minutes, it played rather well tho.

Sakura has no seek bar for MP3s it has it for videos tho....quite annoying but I can boot in between them.

Batt time is not bad 4+ hours for MP3, I can adpate a USB plug to get power off a a RC(6-12 volt) battery piped down to 6V, mabye could even build a lil DS batt charging station charge a low bat for 20 minutes on low volt/amp...but meh I am not that hard core LOL

I did get one of these to help with the few games I give a shit to kill my eyes for.

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=46220753&extid=FroogleVideoGames [http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=46220753&extid=FroogleVideoGames]

Currently I would kill for a WORKING TV output over anything else, next thing they make I hope to hell it has a TV out...I'd even pay 100$ for the base...... just so I wont have to buy their stupid over priced home console(goes double for sony...and I know the PSP dose has a TV output!)....

Comment by Narcissist
    21:04 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, do you use the included "OS" for the M3 Real? Because I used the included player if I remember right, and when using RAM it seeked just fine. Be sure to change settings and stuff, because when you put in the RAM you can even access special options.

It is a bit hard for me to explain because it was a really long time since I used it, but I know it worked very well.

Which program do you use to encode the DPQ videos btw? I don't remember the name of the one I used, but I believe I could pull off rather high settings.

And also, with the included MP3 player you should be able to get more then 4h of battery. It has battery savings which turns off the screen on the NDS and such for MP3 playing. When using SLOT 2 it will always suck more batteries though, even when not using it.

Remember to check M3's homepage for programs and updates to download.

And once again, a smartphone can do all this easypeasy even with DVD resolution mpeg4 encoded videos with 1500+ bitrate and seek without problems, and do TV-out too.

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    23:06 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

forgot to say
    The M3 is not been updated much, I could be wrong.... anyway I go to gbatemp for updates and what not...wish the apps/programs were better categorized tho...

The DS is not made to run HQ video most phones and normal portable consumer gadets have hardware that can run Dvix/MP4/264H/whatever this means higher qaulity and better performance.

Video I don;t need as badly as MP3/PDA(or at elast note taking.....stupid(me) needs to take his brains with him where ever he goes)

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    22:59 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can get into the default OS for it via holding X or booting from Isakura, its media player for MP3s I use because it offers touch seeking.

Super was the only thing I could find for encoding to dpq. 256:192 scale,4.3 aspect,816 bitrate, 24FPS.

It looks good there is random shuddering tho.

I got 4-6 hours of MP3 time need to test it on a fully charge battery so how far I get this time.
    ----
    Nin should make these devices with basic DRM allow basic home brew to enhance the DS make( or buy) their own version of the better stuff.

Then in order to control profit better make them in yearly batches and tweak the DRM like Sony/psp, MS/360 so that while there is an appearance of protection there really is none.

Comment by Narcissist
    04:36 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You should probably read a little more guides and such for the M3 Real to check where you get stuff and how it works and such.

There are a few updates that are better then the original firmware included.
    There is also a very good included Media player, for both MP3 and video - with seeking for video too.

And don't know about that Super program but it is probably rather bad. The DS can only handle around 400 in bitrate for video, FPS you should not change from original one and resolution is probably correct (don't remember NDS resolution, but just use the one it has).

Google is your friend, so google around because there are much better video converters. I had a really good one which make quite good video even with the low bitrate.

Comment by maxchain
    09:56 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Huh! Y'know, I don't come across "accurate" iDOLM@STER fanart nearly as often as I should.

Comment by Echo
    11:13 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

that haruka pillow is pretty awesome

Comment by Otaku Dan
    12:32 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

that's not a pillow

Comment by basilio
    14:40 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

O.o

Comment by maga
    09:55 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Doesn't affect me. How about any of you guys?

Comment by Omochikaeri
    22:55 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not me. It's legal to sell and own these devices in Australia.

Comment by Holly
    00:30 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Aren't they only outlawed in japan right now? Either way, there not that easy to come by in Australia(WA that is) But when you can buy them as cheap as they are online, who really cares.

16:09 19/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

SERIOUSLY IN AUS? cool where do you get 'em?

16:05 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i eat several for breakfast everyday

Comment by maxchain
    09:56 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nah, I don't sell 'em.

09:49 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What is Majikon exactly ? sorry for bein such a noob

Comment by kesadisan
    22:41 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

for short word Flashcart

Comment by anon
    09:55 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

a device used to play illegally-downloaded games

Comment by Fels
    09:58 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

R4, G6, Supercard etc

Comment by SenseiSyaoranLi
    11:35 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

loool fail for R4

Comment by SONYEDDIE
    22:53 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

my friends and i use M3 Realbut not sure when excactly M3 started selling.

11:47 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I use a Acekard 2.1 XD. works like a charm and I also use custom firmware

Comment by King of Hentai Gods
    01:47 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

R4 FTW!!!

04:04 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

GTFO, R4 = fail

Comment by Sixo
    12:11 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, that's a misnomer, downloading them is fine. Playing them isn't!

Comment by soulfringe
    16:16 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not exactly. For one, the laws are always different depending on the country you live in. Secondly, everyone who downloads anything off the internet knows that not all is as it seems.

How many times have you downloaded that awesome new movie, but it really turned out to something VERY different. /recalls past traumas

Anyways this is a small part of why I believe many companies pursue legal actions on the uploader rather than the downloaders. There is of course larger more fiscal and strategical reasons why. But it is still one piece of the pie.

Comment by Holly
    00:28 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Sixo

I noticed a lot of rom sites used that as an excuse making it seem like it was alright to download as long as you delete it with 24 hours.

But i've never seen anyone refer to that 'rule' anymore. Downloading most things are illegal, it's more about if the publisher is willing to do anything.

A lot of people don't like you saving pictures from websites for example, some even disable right click as an attempt to stop you. But either way, roms are almost always illegal.

Comment by darthmoder
    03:43 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

just click this button on the keyboard labeled:

Screen
    SysRq

03:47 17/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, if we're strictly talking about technicality here downloading ROMs are not illegal, provided you own the copy of said ROM. It is with that assumption that downloading of ROM is legal, and since there is no way to check/reinforce the law without serious breach of privacy, what we have here is a very tricky situation for Nintendo and game developers everywhere.

It still doesn't mean that they're making a bucketload of money, so I really don't see what the QQ is all about...

12:21 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can tell you don't know anything. It is called copyright infringement when downloading games. Downloading them is illegal.