Japanese Wives: “No More Than $10 A Day” For Husband

nopan-bride-by-tony-taka

Japanese women were asked how much of their husband’s money he should be allowed as “pocket money” for covering expenses such as food, entertainment, hobbies and similar, and nearly half felt he should only be allowed a mere ¥1,000 a day.

Japanese wives have traditionally controlled the finances of the household, and it seems even in the era of “gender equality” the expectation is that this arrangement continues. Household expenses and saving (relatively high in Japan) are in these cases determined by the wife, with husbands relegated to the status of yoked oxen.

The survey covered 2,000 Japanese women under 30 (it seems both married and unmarried women were in the sample). For reference, the average salary in Japan is about ¥450,000 a month.

It posed the question:

“After marriage, how much pocket money will you give your husband?”

husbands-languish-in-penury

Wives have this to say about the most popular allowance (42%), ¥1,000 a day:

I hear this figure a lot. We can also consider his income.

I’m not sure, but about this much?

It depends on his income, but even so.

¥30,000 is enough.

No more than 10% of his salary!

Something like this? But if his salary is no good he can’t even have $100 a month.

That’s about right.

This is not too much, not too little, a good compromise.

If it’s just his food and entertainment expenses then this is about right.

Including his petrol costs, it might be a little low.

If his salary is low then ¥10,000 is too much.

$10 a day.

I thought this much, but it seems a bit pitiful.

I’m actually using more, but…

For a meagre ¥20,000 a month, they (16%) have this to say:

He can live on this.

It’s enough for him to enjoy himself.

It depends on his wages, he’ll get a commission on them.

We don’t want him wasting money going out.

Maybe I’ll top him up, but I’d like him to get by on this.

This is economising, you know?

Those few wives (15%) who felt generous enough to let him have ¥50,000 of his salary said this:

He works really hard so I’d like him to have as much as he needs. I want to save, but he can have 50,000.

This is the ideal figure.

I want us both to be spending the same.

I make him a bento everyday too!

I get by on this much myself.

He goes out a lot.

If I were getting it, I’d want this much.

It’s his money too, I suppose.

7% of wives went for ¥40,000:

It varies with his salary.

It’s a bit sad really.

¥10,000 a month is fine.

And a further 7% gave their husbands no pocket money at all, though it seems this is more of a “give when needed” system:

It’s best to give it to him when he needs it.

Once I have a certain amount, I let him take care of the rest.

When he wants something it’s best he ask me, and I him.

Lastly, 5% let him have ¥50-100,000:

He’s stylish.

I don’t know, but this is how much I use.

If he was rich I’d want him to have nice clothes and visit the salon, and take care of going out or having hobbies.

And 2% over ¥100,000:

I want a husband who earns this much.

Not sure, but if both worked this would work.

There is of course no talk of an allowance being necessary for the wife.

Hearing all this, the collapse in Japanese marriages and birth-rate swims sharply into focus once more; it seems no wonder many Japanese women loathe men with expensive otaku habits

What man in his right mind would marry a woman, support her as a housewife, only to have his income completely commandeered and be subsequently treated like a child?

Comment by Atma
    10:15 13/06/2009 # ! Good (+0.6)

This is nowhere near enough per day per me to live as a single woman for just the most basic of needs. These women are insane and I refuse to associate my gender with them.

Comment by Waterfall Towers
    15:47 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It's nice to know that there are women like you out there.

Comment by Bee
    11:27 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Even worse are the women who think the allowance should be lower. I think that thought is scarier... because the next most popular answer (16%) said 20,000 a month... So basically 650 a day. Ouch.

Comment by kevinlmw
    10:34 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

09:17 23/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Most people around the world, at least, those not select ones in first world countries, live with less than $10 US per day.

Consider yourself lucky and value what you have.

Keep in mind that money is not created equal. Local property values, availability of transport and gas prices, local costs of food, and other details determine the cost of living. Two different states in the US will have very different living costs, and you can get the same even within states. Which is why you need to take that into account and can't just think of the money in its exchange rate. After all, Japan's a freakishly expensive place to live at. ...Wait what

Seriously though, you can't go around banishing people from your gender. It doesn't work that way. Neither you nor they can claim to represent your gender, as little as a random group of male friends on the street can claim to represent men. There will always be morons and idiots, this is in no way limited to any gender. Anyone will also always be associated with groups they do not consider themselves to belong to, just look far away enough and those will happily show how they shove their false biases on you. These women are not any more or less women than you, they're just also stingy bitches. It's not inherent with being female, and anyone who claims otherwise is someone who fails at basic logic, and consider their definition of females to be more important than the actual biological and social definition of female.

The question is just what you can do to make it less socially acceptable for people whom you associate yourself with to behave in jackass ways. Always use the carrot more than the stick.

Comment by Bronxdragon
    13:44 31/10/2009 # ! Good (+0.6)

....Japan is fucked up.....I really don't care about the women being in power thats fine and dandy...but when you fuck with my money and give me allowance with my own money THAT I WORKED FOR....bitch got to go!

18:13 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

She's gonna need a lot of money for that kitchen and gold chain.
    But seriously 10 bucks a day fuck that I'd rather be single and enjoy all of my pay.

09:20 23/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Many families in the world live with 10 or less per day, be considerate of others.

Comment by nimas
    10:54 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Im starting to find japanese women very hateable.

Comment by Zomb1e13
    10:35 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I'm sorry but no woman is going to tell me how to spend MY money.

Comment by Omochikaeri
    14:26 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

This hits the nail on the head.

If it's my money, then I will be the one giving *her* a pissy $10 allowance while I spend the rest on food, other expenses, hobbies and stuff for myself.

Both of you fail to take into account that if you have a house wife instead of a partner who also works, only you provide the money needed for keeping your household unit running. A house wife buys you groceries, cooks your food, cleans and tidies, takes care of any children, has sex with you from time to time and so on. Compare that to how much you'd have to cough up in pay-checks for strangers who would take care of the same functions in your life.

No, the wives shouldn't be stingy with the money, but if you've put yourself in that situation, you have only yourself to blame. Get a job for the wife, and have separate bank accounts for yourselves, and one joint one for joint expenses such as groceries, house equipment and the like.

00:01 13/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Pretty sure that i'm going to pay bills and such and then keep atleast 60% of what's left for myself.
    I worked for it so fuck anyone who thinks i don't deserve it.

10:48 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I guess this is why alot of japanese men prefers to stay single yes?

Comment by liveevil
    12:19 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

They're saving the money so when they divorce him they'd have a lot to spend.

Comment by Zacharov
    15:26 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

While I am fine with having my money managed by a wife while I'm out bringing home the bread, I still think 1000 yen is a little too low. What if the husband is a heavy coffee drinker? Is the wife open to negotiations? How about 2000 yen daily expenses? I think that's reasonable for when one needs more cafe latte or cuppaccino instead of the sludge that comes out of the office's coffee machine!

Comment by Zacharov
    15:28 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And I expect the rest to be spend on groceries and household matters and leftover in the bank, or if she is a shrewd person especially when it comes to investments, put into investments. Minimize spending on makeups and nails. And only one or two LVs every half a month.

Comment by Aeromax
    15:28 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"If he was rich I’d want him to have nice clothes and visit the salon, and take care of going out or having hobbies"

05:26 27/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

"IF HE WERE RICH I'D WANT HIM...HAVING HOBBIES"?
    Seriously, WTF? Having interests and being more than wage earning robot with 2 dimensional personality is a reward for him but only if he's wealthy?

The more I learn about Japanese marriages the more I understand why so many are immigrating.
    I'm on the far side of the world in a shitty little Irish city and Japs make up 1% of our population.
    There'd probably be more if they realised we had running water and didn't shit in buckets (Yank survey from 4yrs ago).

Comment by Jay
    11:15 17/01/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

The word "Jap" is a racial slur, so please refrain from using it.

15:24 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

And people wonder why I am so down on marriage and say that it demeans the people in it? Women in this world today need to get a FUCKING REALITY CHECK and realize that 10 dollars a day is NOTHING, period and done with.

For goodness sakes, when I was actually having to drive back and forth to work, I spent at least 20 dollars a day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index , mofo.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index#Limitations too.

13:35 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I make him a bento everyday too!

^Aww,Cute.

Comment by AMAYA
    13:28 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

why not pool the earnings from both husband and wife, then split evenly between bills, taxes, and personal allowances? a bank account is useful too. there's no point to a marriage where husband and wife can't work as equals.

01:33 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I agree. After minusing the bills and mortgages and monthly payments on the house, i just split the cash in half for me & my wive and just leave it like that. Things are so much easier like that. Btw, if I had to live on $10 a day, Id cry. Seriously. I think I received $10 a day when I was in pre-U (or whatever thats the level b4 university).Having to live on the same amount as an adult would SUCK.

09:23 23/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

10 a day for a high scooler? Insane.

I went by with 3 bucks even in University (enough for transportation and a drink or sandwich, insufficient when hanging out with frieds thou, but it was not daily at least) when I was not yet working, and with 1 0r 2 buck in high school.

Comment by NotAnonymous
    01:25 14/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If I made more than her.. than why?

Comment by Miroku74
    12:55 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If there's a cure for Yellow Fever, this has gotta be it. XD

Comment by CC
    20:34 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I could make do with that if she makes me an obento.. and does the grocery shopping.

Comment by my mom
    14:04 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

LOL, that's like less than my pocket money

Comment by Tommy
    13:56 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This is sad if the majority of women thinks like that and I was thinking to marry a Japanese wife home with me. There goes my dreams ~ byee

Comment by maga
    15:21 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Mai waifu Belldandy will let me have as much as I want...

Comment by chriselric
    10:37 18/10/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Shared income: bad times

14:23 10/11/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It’s his money too, I suppose. lol

15:08 28/07/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well, if the Japanese husband is working 10 to 12 hours a day, it makes sense the wife controls the finances. When is he going to have the chance to pay the bills? If he is constantly having to hand over the money, it is just easier for her to be in charge.

And wives don't want their hubbies having too much fun outside their knowledge. No need to let him have enough to eat out (she's fill a bento box for him, right?) and then go get a happy ending from the local prostitutes. No way to afford motel for a quicky with some money-digging whore at work that is willing to still a properly broken in husband and not have to work anymore. Seriously, think it through.

Comment by Pantsu Dorobou
    08:01 26/11/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"I make him a bento everyday too!"

Aww! <3 This one is doing it right.

18:57 16/04/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

and once again marriage fails.

08:02 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

And Japanese women WONDER why they are so lonely or that their men go elsewhere for a bit of nookie.

Then again I wouldn't work as nearly as much as a Japanese male if I only was to get 1/450 of it. If the wife was using the other to support the family, sure. Used to look cute and adorable to my expectations, sure. To fill her own needs and wants only, then I would say get a job!!!

08:03 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Add to which, if your going elsewhere for some nookie, at least bring a paycheck home with it. =P

13:58 14/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well, it's not like anyone really forced those pussies you call husbands into marriage. Why not exploit them if they allow themselves to be treated like walking bags of cash?

That's why 2D wives are superior: you get to keep 100% of your paycheck.

19:46 14/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

True. Ain't no 2d ever jack my bling.

Comment by maxchain
    21:49 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Oh! This helps lend some context to that one episode of Crayon Shin-Chan.

Comment by Necromas
    00:47 14/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm not worried so much about the amount, since I don't have any experience getting by in Japan, but at the idea of this system in general. The husband should have equal say in how the money is shared, especially if he's the one making most/all of it.

There's nothing wrong with a wife controlling the finances, but a decision as important as how much spending money each person gets should include both partners.

Comment by Holy Diver
    21:10 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

For reference, the average salary in Japan is about ¥450,000 a month.

WOW... Here in Italy the average salary is 1200 euros thanks to our politicians...
    Few people here can claim to earn 4500 dollars a month...

Back to the REAL problem:
    10 dollars a day??????

THIS IS MADNESS!

09:25 23/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Puff, too much first cocky first woorld people here.

Get to Latin America, entire families or 4-5 live with 300-400 buck per month!!

Comment by Pokrec

In Poland av. salary is on the level of 500 - 600 euro (netto, excluding taxes). Si, si. In Japan a litre of milk costs about 2 US dollars in a normal grocery. In Poland - roughly 60-70 cents. It seems, that prices in Japan are roughly twice or triple as there in EU. I do not mention prices of land and houses. Life in Japan is awfully expensive. Small ramen in a street bar in Kyoto costs around 800 - 1000 yen it means about 10 dollars. I know, because I was in Japan a couple of years ago and ate ramen and bought milk. Petrol is at the similar level as in Europe (1 US$ per liter). They maybe have electronics somewhat cheaper, but it's all.
    But it is not the blame of politicians. It's our blame. Who do we chose during elections? Socialists and parasites who think, that social welfare is the most important in the world. At the expense of hard working people, of course. Do not you have some normal, antisocialist and procapitalist party in Italy? In Poland there is one, but with very small support...
    Saluti!

02:54 14/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Prices in Europe vary greatly too, in Denmark the prices and average salary are higher then those in Japan. Petrol is 1,5$ and rising, houses are very expensive to buy and the food got some heavy taxes on it. 1000¥ is about enough to pay for our lunch:p and yep its propably all because that Denmark is one of those heavily socialistic countries with 33% minimum and 66% maximum taxes.

Comment by Holy Diver
    13:30 16/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

@Pokrek:

Maybe you don't know,but the one with MONEY AND POLITICAL (AND MEDIATICAL OF COURSE)POWER here in Italy is the smiling idiot called

BERLUSCONI: God of capitalism here in Italy.

P.S: there is no real political opposition here in Italy cos "why opposing to someone that gives us something like 30000 euros at month just because we are politicians?".

P.S n.2: People here are stupid indeed: they keep voting him even if he doesn't give founds to public schools. He wants us a lot mooore stupid in the future.

Comment by Pokrec
    03:38 14/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Jesus, isn't there any solution? Years ago I wondered, how a normal peasant in feudalism could live and support his family, when he had to work for 5 days a week on the field of his souvereign master and one day - on his own. For me it was the edge of exploitation. Byt now, I counted all the taxes - not only personal income tax (PIT), but also VAT, excise, commercial income tax (CIT), obligatory state retirement and health funds (which will surely go bankrupt by the time I am old enough to be retired or enough sick to use them) plus other obligatory duties, like car insurance and in Poland REAL taxes are on the level of 80%. YES, eighty percent. We are nothing better than feudal peasants feeding parasite beaurocrats in our countries, but also in Brussels! But ad rem: Japan is also the social welfare state governed by Keynes' economy. Very similar to EU. But mentality of Japanese society is WAY different than european.

08:32 11/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Seriously, welfare is a hell of a good thing. If you dont like to pay taxes, go to America. There you'll have to pay for school and hospital. I couldn't imagine how to tackle university if I had to pay those mad amounts the Americans have to. There's a lot of benefits to welfare, and I strongly support it. It makes our society safer in my opinion. At least I won't have to spend my life savings on a broken arm.