Japanese Men to Wives: Work!

idol-master-bride

Some men even express a willingness to take on the role of stay-at-home husband, if their wife earns more…

The online survey covered 1135 unmarried men, of whom 78% expressed an intent to marry.

These men seemed keen that the women work: 40% wanted their spouse to work full-time, versus only 20% who sought a full-time housewife. The results from 10 years prior had only 27% wanting a working wife.

Including dispatch and part-time work, 79% wanted their prospective wife to earn her keep.

However, women can take solace in the fact that whilst they may be expected to do more than watch TV all day, some 70% accept an equal division of household chores, which seems roughly in line with the proportion of men expecting women to work.

Women for their part apparently demand men with exceedingly high salaries, which rather suggests they would prefer the man still do all the work.

Most surprisingly of all, 60% of men in their twenties and 70% of men in their thirties agreed that “if the wife’s income is greater they wouldn’t mind staying at home as a house-husband”, which some are taking as evidence of the extent of their “feminisation” (though of course it is not hard to see why people of either gender would agree to let someone else do all the work).

The final result is perhaps a given in a westernised society: 95% of men listed “love” as a crucial aspect of selecting a wife, indicating perhaps that Japanese women need not give up hope just yet, if only they are sufficiently persuasive, though of course given that the vast majority seem to have a man’s income in mind when marrying it seems the gap between the marriage expectations of the two genders may be irreconcilably large…

• No… NO AT ALL!!!
    Japanese Men to Wives IS to Work!?!
    This is completely WRONG AT ALL!!!
    The ONE THING is MORE than WORKING for…
    Is the FREEDOM OF EVERYTHING with the MONEY and TIME!!!
    That is everybody seeking of THAT!!!

Written by
    One
    BEast
    N.O.BE…

• It is almost impossible to make descent life in Japan if you plan to have your Gf/wife at home all the time ,if you do not earn at least 350.000 yen a month.
    if you have a child, add 150/200.000 yen of minimum needed earning.

• BloodThirstyNogitsune says:

how many people in the ‘husbands’ online survey were actually woman I wonder…hmmm heh I wonder what lesbian couples think now that would bring some interesting views. c’mon lady couple tell me what you think of this!

• In today's reality, you just ain't going to have any life worth mention on one income even if a normally nice income.

I don't say marriage is required, but, a solid second income is sure going to make the difference. The days of a stay at home spouse have been gone for decades.

Of course it's nice when you can screw your other income generator. I don't subscribe to room mates of the same gender or roomies that don't put out 🙂

• Hmm, now here is at least one good reason for living in Bulgaria 🙂
    Usually both people work, none takes the brunt of the money,leaving the other with pocket cash, both share responsibilities in the house and at work, both work towards the common goal that is a marriage full of love and happiness.
    That, I believe, applies for the rest, or at least for the most of European countries too, but due to lack of experience with couples from Central and Western Europe, I guess I am not entitled to generalize about them 😛

• Artefact said:

Understandable. Honestly what I've read of this article today has put me in a much better mood. I'm proud of you, Japanese men, this time.

• Don’t just blame women for being material…
    For a long time we HAD to stay home and were NOT ALLOWED to take jobs and earn our money…
    And even though we live now in a much more open-minded century some habits are hard to overcome culturally…

I myself am a total disgrace to the female population…=^___^=U I hate housework, cooking and don’t wanna have children…( Maybe adopt two in my 40s or so )…Am absolutly against marriage and even living together is only possible for me if I get my own room too…( Or my BF has to be a bisexual loli/shota/yaoi/yuri/hentai/ecchi/seinen loving moe-addict SanCon reader XD )

• Can’t say that I blame lot of these men. I have my own aspirations in life, I want to get a doctorate in something someday and make lots of money. I sure as hell don’t want a wife who’s gonna just expect me to take care of her while she’s a stay at home mom.

I don’t agree also with the 70% of men who just want to be an ‘at-home’ husband all day. Get working you lazy fucks. As much as women are pain in the ass, you do have to give them credit for taking the lead role in raising kids.

• Anonymous says:

Some of these posts made me sad. :[ So many people don’t ever want to get married because women are too much of a hassle, you can always get sex somewhere else, they only want your money, etc.

As a girl, I don’t think I’m one of those bitchy money-grabbing whores. Not every woman is looking to get her hands on your wallet. I’d expect my partner to do his half of the bargain by at least doing some work and bringing money into the household, but I don’t care what his salary is so long as he isn’t just sitting there expecting me to haul in the dough. But I’d like to work as well. Working will keep me preoccupied, allow me to have some time away from the home, so that way when I come back it will be all the sweeter to see my husband. On top of that, having a wife can be fun, especially if she has very similar interests. I hope I can find an otaku man, so we can enjoy anime/video games together~ ^^

• Anonymous says:

>As a girl, I don’t think I’m one of those bitchy money-grabbing whores.

You know what? I do believe you don’t think you’re a money grabbing whore. However, there’s such thing as self-deception…

• of course there are. except otakus brains are usually 3D pig disgusting or at least in my case, pron vs real life, pron wins.

of course its astronomical to maintain a gf that’s very pretty most of the time.

i’m looking for that exception, pretty but does not suck up mah money. very rare. meh i got time

• Anonymous says:

Ok guys, i’m a housewife and i work at the same time, indeed i do housekeeping time to time so it’s not like there’s always perfection in my house, since i do the work too. My husband work time to time too.

Indeed i do all the housekeeping, we’re both wotakus and gamers.

Indeed i think that’s very nice that japanese men want that, i really think that a woman isn’t complete if we don’t work for ourselves or help out more that sit our fat ass at the computer/tv all day long.

In that aspect, yes japanese woman are thinking bad, because they want the easy life, it’s not fair for themselves and for their partners. Indeed dunno that’s gonna change ever.

• thats why prostitution was invented my sons. i mean c’mon at first yeah its love n shit but after is more respect then actual love. so your not actually shagging now are you because thats the main thing u want after the whole respect thing comes in to play. and look it at a financial stand point. its cheaper to hire a hooker then have a house wife. a hooker costs about 50$ for a hour and u can do what ever your sick little minds come up with. now if you have a house wife u have to feed her, buy her clothes, pay her stupid hair salon trips etc. so prostitution is the key to all our problems.

• I think that in marriage you must respect the other’s wishes and if you can’t you shouldn’t marry at all. Screw these kind of “ideal lover statistics”.

Of course money is needed so someone’s gotta work. People who don’t want to work or do housework at all are beyond me. Should you have the money – if you don’t work at least once in a while you won’t be able to enjoy relaxation so everything about that kind of life seems rather pointless.

• Anonymous says:

Personally, that is the reason why I detest marriage (other than the fact that I think that it denigrates the people in the marriage by making it seem that they are only ‘good enough’ for one person): the woman and sometimes the MAN in the marriage doesn’t want to keep up their end of the bargain.

• asianprostitute1500 says:

Blow up dolls are cheaper in the long run, don’t bitch at you for not getting them what they want, require feelings of love and affection, and don’t run away or fight back when you beat them. I still fail to see why anyone would like to get married.

• Anonymous says:

Hey, some people want ‘feeling of love and affection’ but do not want to get married to someone. That is where ‘cohabitation’ comes into play, where each person is free to leave the relationship at any time if the partner is not doing their part in the relationship.

I know quite a few people who have gone that route while having children.

• Lazydabear says:

Well I can understand Japanese men reason, they want a wife that works because by looking at there economy you can tell by the needs of paying for rent,utility’s,food which in Japan is sometimes expensive its even sad that they Tax Children that live in Japan.

• A very practical response. Good thing that Japanese men are using their heads. Hopefully this proves to be consistent throughout its male population seeing as only 1135 samples were acquired [with the probability that they’re all from a single place i.e. Tokyo]. True equality being realized.

• Anonymous says:

“Survey results indicate that 80% of Japanese men now desire a wife who is prepared to work rather than just sit at home all day, which is in stark contrast to the majority of Japanese women who still expect the man to have a much higher income than them.”

Sit at home all day? Really? Hopefully you acknowledge that girlfriends/wives may sit at home, but mothers do FAR from sitting at home.

• Hours and hours of hard work usually amounts to nothing. It’s far more important to work smart than just do it with lots of effort.

For example, air filters next to washer/dryer and in bed room works wonders, and so does a roomba. Dust really isn’t that much of an issue when you do things smart.

Instead of pile clothes or spend hours folding them, it is by far faster to just hang them on hangers. So you get two weeks worth of clothes, and put them on weekly rotation.

As to toilets and showers, the key is to clean them right after use. And wipe them down with a car washing glove, those work great. Then spray them down with hot water jets from those shower heads you buy.

I live by myself, work for myself, and do all the chores myself. But you know, I spend less than a quarter of the time as those house wives and still manage better.

People shouldn’t expect sympathy if they work stupidly and inefficiently.

• Personally, I’m not averse to having a job; being a stay at home wife would bore me to tears. You gotta get out there and do something with yourself. Success rules. You get money and a sense of worth which are pretty cool things to have and if you ENJOY your job, then it’ll seem less like work and more like fun.

Chores suck but if you split them and take care of your own messes things should be fine. As long as things like dishes are clean I’m not terribly on top of organizing or cleaning much else unless it becomes truly disastrous.

Gender roles be damned, I’m ready to do my share. Imagine how hot you’d look in a uniform too, my fellow women. It’s very much a do want.

• Zatsugami says:

Being with a partner that expect anything else than love is pointless.
    I don’t want to even hear about money when it comes to love and marriage.
    Unfortunately, marriage is not only a act of love.
    I would rather be alone and take care of simple needs in proper places.

• Marriage is about love, devotion, commitment and responsibility, and responsibility can also mean providing for the family and working to ensure that the family is in functional order.

Personally, no, I doubt I am going to get married. Mostly because I find it very difficult to relate to anyone or even think of people as, well, people.

• It’s more than money, to be more accurate. But people get tied up with the money part far too much. If they love money so much, why not divorce the spouse and go marry their money?

• Zatsugami says:

Family of course, but not partner’s selfish needs.
        If it’s about family, there should be no “fight” about who’s gonna take care of this or that.
        When I read this entry I fell that this is all about money, like it’s the most important thing. I know that nowadays money are important, and I don’t like it at all. There’s nothing else I can do, that finding a partner who thinks the same way.
        Awww… Whatever.

• Anonymous says:

Interesting, I was under the impression that majority / nearly all of Elevens were looking for housewives. Perhaps I am merely corrupted by anime where – especially in harem-type shows – the “housewife archetype” is typically considered the best marriage option.

• lovely, i see at least the boys are growing up.
    now it’s the girl’s turn!

i wonder how these surveys would come out if being conducted with a broader demographic? japan has 127m people, you know…

• Anonymous says:

Even if the husband is making enough/a lot of money, the wife should work too so that she can keep in touch with the society and exercise mentally, except maybe if she is having a kid. Then she can take a break from work.

• I for one am probably a woman’s dream man. I wanna make tons of money so my waifu can stay at home and watch our children grow up. It would seem though, that money and time do not often correspond favorably (ie: higher salary usually means more work). As such, I’ve taken a means to start my own business. It allows for me to make money without having to actually be there, and thus allowing more free time for me. Now that I’ve done my part, it’s up to my future wife to make herself worthwhile, because a good man deserves a good wife (and vice-versa of course).

• SilverTide says:

“…of whom 78% expressed an intent to marry.”

Whoa! So 22% of eligible bachelors have no intent of ever marrying?! How could the relationship between men and women degraded so much? Is this unprecedented?

Perhaps this is good news to feminists who rally around the “marriage is slavery” war-cry.

• “How could the relationship between men and women degraded so much? Is this unprecedented?”

Easy something about modern feminist women or rather overly dominant women is a very big turn off.

It differs between many men, some simply don’t like that fact that if they make an approach on a women it’s sexual harassment, if they don’t they are considered ‘unmanly’ and thus kicked off of the eligible/prospective list.

A good portion of it also has to do with how the person was raised/ the conditions that they grew up in. If Mommy and Daddy fight all the time, naturally the child won’t want someone who in the long run is only going to argue and complain.

I don’t care for marriage myself.

And I can’t stand how people are expected to marry so young.

But perhaps I, and maybe some of the men in the survey, perhaps were just selfish bastards and want to be free of most of our chains for a little while longer and just be narcissists.

Meh, just a personal opinionated speculation.

• Anonymous says:

If you want sex, you can get a hooker.
      If you want someone to clean up after you, you can get a housemaid.
      If you want a progeny, you can pay someone to be a surrogate mom.

All those probably come out to be cheaper than a non-working wife in the long run. Plus if don’t settle you can always pick and choose and have some fun if you know what I am talking about.

• LemonMango says:

Augh, that pic has one of my biggest anime pet peeves: lack of eyes on characters that are not the focus of the image, or characters that are upset/enraged with their head slightly lowered.

The fact that you can full-on see the mans face in this one makes it look terrible.

• Anonymous says:

It’s been one of my anime pet peeves that they get to have sweatdrops half the size of grapefruit. Sweat fluid dynamics don’t work that way, damn it! It looks terrible.

And what’s up with those dark vertical lines hanging on the top or side of their head when they get depressed? It’s like they have varicose veins suddenly growing. It’s disgusting I tell you.

• clannadfanboy213 says:

Agreed completely. I hate that pure laziness to just omit a characters eyes. It somewhat demeans the character of their importance and transforms them into a lifeless (sex) doll.

• lol, you kidding? I’d much perfer if I went to work AND my wife went to work.

I think Women need to realize they can’t have their cake and eat it too. If they want to have more power in a relationship and be able to assert more social ‘umph’, then they’ll have to live with the fact that means men will get more passive.

• “…If the days where the people of the world have come to the conclusion that marriage is about wealth…”

According to some surveys from this site, this day has already come (for Japanese women, at least).

Like they say in my country, “there aren’t ugly men, there are only POOR men.”

• Yangth, day has come and gone. Marriage is on the decline if you didn’t notice. Increasing divorce rates over the past few decades should’ve given you a clue that marriage is no long an “undying vow”.

I don’t suggest you go fucking other men’s wives, but staying unmarried really is the best option.

• So…you mean to tell me that your image of a wife is of a sinister woman out for money? That, if you make a lot of money, she’ll divorce you for half of it (if she doesn’t kill you, that is), or that if you aren’t rich, she’ll “treat you like trash”. You have a very sad image of a real woman. On top of that, you’d rather just horde all your cash and destroy the bonds between other men. If the days where the people of the world have come to the conclusion that marriage is about wealth, rather than the undying vow of fidelity and loyalty between two lovers, than we truly are hopeless.

• SilverTide says:

It really is a quandary.

Earn too much and a woman will divorce you for half of all your wealth.

Earn too little and they treat you like trash.

Best to be the man who stays unmarried and boinks all the married men’s wives.

• Anonymous says:

It’s good to have a wife that works but I’m not too sure about having them work in japan. If hentai has taught me anything it’s that all japanese employers are rapists. If more japanese wives start working than be prepared to see those cheating statistics sky rocket.

• Anonymous says:

I’m confused. Woman wants to be treated as equal to men, they want to be president, astronot, police, etc, but they also want to let the man do all the work? I mean, how selfish can you get? If you want the man to do all the work than you shouldn’t demand so much and just accept what your man give.

• Anonymous says:

waitwaitwait… you want girls that aren’t demanding??? a beautiful dream to be sure, but even i lack an imagination capable of dreaming such a thing. your best bet is to wait for robot girlfriends to, firstly, exist, then become affordable.

• Dang,that is the truth a lot of agree to,
          that could be considered fridged brillance
          (not a insult,I hope)Because if the ladies
          knew about you,pray it’s good news,it would only only help you,because that to take your like a vacuum
          (not in a good way,dang)may leave you alone,
          and get decent females to hang out with.

• this actually reminds me of this cantonese tv show I watched a few months back, talks about how HK girls are so demanding and when you go to clubs with girls, you absolutely have to treat them to drinks. Always have to buy expensive LV bags / stuff for them, can’t even have your own time with your guy friends to play sports or whatever, the list goes on.

And then the show goes onto a 2nd part which is about HK guys and how they are “densha otoko”, which pretty much gives the same meaning as “otaku” in HK.

that was long. you can search up 星期日檔案 港女 / 港男 on youtube if you are interested.