Tetsuwan Birdy Decode DVD: Eternal Shame Unveiled

tetsuwan-birdy-dvd-revision-crop.jpg

When it was broadcast, fans were incredulous at the level of quality on display in the seventh episode of Tetsuwan Birdy Decode 2, and many started to speculate that is was an artistically stylised special sequence, rather than the work of starving South Korean animators overseen by Japanese incompetents.

The newly released DVD edition puts any notion that this was anything less than a legendary debacle to rest, as the comparison below plainly illustrates what transpired throughout the entire episode:

tetsuwan-birdy-dvd-revision.jpg

Just what happened to this sequence is perhaps better not asked about…

Those looking for the revised DVD can find it here.

Comment by ListenGuys
    00:38 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

COOL STORY BRO TIME

Man. I'm tired of people putting down the show because of the aniamtion in EP 7.

Everyone talks about that one scene in episode 7. Yes, I don't know if they did that for artistic reasons or did it for budget reasons, BUT that doesn't mean you can put down the whole episode much less the WHOLE SHOW, based on that little scene. The show as a whole had very good animation albeit sacrificing the art quality a bit. In fact, there were actually a couple of gem animation scenes even in the dream sequence done by some pretty well-known animators.

Here's a scene done by none other than Norio Matsumoto from episode 7 of Birdy (hint: he didn't do the shitty part): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD60WVsyy_I

And here's a good fight scene from episode 12 done by the same animator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK27cD8Dfks

In case you don't know who he is, Norio Matsumoto is the guy who did the animation for those excellent Naruto fights that were the only reason to actually watch the show (Naruto vs. Sasuke, Sasuke vs Orichi, Rock Lee vs Garra).

Here's some of Norio Matsumoto's other stuff including that sex scene from Tenchi, those excellent Samurai X/Ruroni Kenshin fights, Tei Rei changing into her undies, and those really awesome Naruto fight scenes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ZTlbr-nlU

No one can rationally say the whole show/episode 7 blew because of that one little dream sequence; they could convince me that the show isn't as good based on the plot etc BUT definitely not the animation.

Tetsuwan Birdy Decode 02 as a whole has very good animation, medium to low art quality, ok story but not as good as S1, and excellent music.

Also: Those who like the show BUY THE DVD, maybe we might get a more quality S3.

02:00 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You mean those excellent Naruto fights ripped off from other series? (Cowboy Bebop etc?)

10:45 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

no, watch the youtube link. The one you are referring to was not done by Matsumoto.

There was, however, a homage to Enter the Dragon in one of his fight scenes.

Comment by De JaY
    01:32 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh god that looks so awesome. I think I should start watching this. D:

Comment by liveevil
    01:13 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOOOOL. Fucking sucky quality. I can imagine the animators coming back from a drinking party to cram for this episode. Good thing they fix'd the dvd version.

Comment by MaidNiac
    19:16 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Kinda wonder if and wish that the Crayon Shin-chan and Windy Tales DVDs also do the same thing..

Comment by Karim-sama
    19:00 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What is this!? O_o

hard to swallow

02:01 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Intentional or not, I liked the original better.

Comment by Mechwarrior
    07:26 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Considering that the guys who animated the show probably earned below poverty level, I can understand the poor quality of some of the sequences.

10:49 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No, the show actually had very expensive animators (in fact, I beleive so expensive that they spent less time on the 'art quality and more on animation.

The show has good animation, this one scene is different.

04:17 31/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I really enjoyed that scene in the anime to be honest. REALLY. Thought it really fit into the mood cause I mean she's just a little kid at that time and it really looks like some lil kiddo drew the whole thing. I liked it.

Comment by 21149315
    18:56 19/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

XD and it still looks crappy, even with DVD.

what a shame

Comment by anonymous bastard
    06:30 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

pfft i liked that. it was so trippy, fitting for a dream.

then again, i'm also, like, the only person who likes gurren lagann episode 4.

Comment by Djisas
    02:02 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The artistic side might not have been the best, but i do admit that those scenes where quite awesome and felt very fluid, the ep had lots of action...

Comment by Howling
    04:05 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What's the matter? Not moe enough?
    Those messy visuals were important to the show.

Comment by asianprostitute1500
    05:45 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So did this ever surpass Okaeri QUALITY?

Comment by QnWorks
    05:31 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL xD Fuckup xD I don't know the anime and I think I don't ever wanna know after seeing this xD

Comment by Shuu
    06:32 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL, because of some still shots...

Well, enjoy staying ignorant then.

Comment by giascle
    14:20 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Guest episode by asread?

14:03 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i love it when they animate all messy during intense scenes. they did it in noein too. it's really expressive and whatnot

14:25 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

some of those are just ridiculous

14:57 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

reminded me of kemonozume

15:14 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

because you only see stills.. the animation itself were fluid, that's why some people that have actually watch the show thinks that it's intentional. whether it's intentional or not, only those people that involved in making this episode could answer.
    my guess is the director want a dreamy scne, which were taken to the extreme by the animator.
    i don't deny other possibilities like lacking time or budget or both.
    the change in the dvd version might be their original intention for the broadcast or just giving the fans what they wanted.

Comment by DmonHiro
    15:39 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It WAS NOT intentional, and all you "it was art" idiots can now shut the fuck up.

22:39 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice try distancing yourself from the rest of the "losers".

Comment by only_me
    19:48 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You can shut the fuck up as well, DmonHiro, as you bring nothing but bragging here. Give a proof, then you shall be aknowledged. What, no proof? That means the producer as well might've simply fucked up with all the audience because he wanted to and no matter how obvious the reasons of the shitty animation are, if you aren't God or admin, your word here is worth as much as the opinion of others or as little as shit, so don't cry that some people treat you the same way you do.

Comment by DmonHiro
    20:07 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Uhm...the proof is...in the title post. Can't you read? On the right, it's the "artistic" animation that was in the TV airing. On the left, it's the fixed animation for the DVD. Also, learn English, so maybe you can make sense.

Comment by Shuu
    20:44 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, I don't give a shit about whether it was intentional, art, or just the animators having smoked too much weed. It looked breathtakingly awesome in motion, and now it will look even better. No complaints here.

Comment by DmonHiro
    21:10 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Exactly. My comments were not regarding the quality, since well...I kind of like the old version. I'm talking about the people who kept bragging on that it was intentional, and that us "commoners" couldn't understand such artistic merit. THOSE are the losers I have a problem with.

02:18 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Btw, I'm the anonymous poster that DmonHiro replied...
    If you read my post, I don't deny that the director or someone that responsible for this anime is making a mistake for the broadcast version... It just that most of the people dis it without seeing it in motion.
    You can't deny the fact that some people doesn't mind it... and I can't deny that lots of people hate it.... Whether it is design decision or not at that time, we can't really know.
    What I did see is that the worst stuff happen when the scene is heavy on action, which is why I think it's a design choice at that time to prioritize motion over drawing accuracy, especially since this is a 'dream scene'. To add to that, Birdy ending really make it natural for me to think that this 'dream scene' were made as intended at that time and not some starved korean animator deliberately doing this without the consent from A-1.

And I've watched Kemonozume, Windy Tales and Mind Game... those animes probably make me kinda forgiving when I encounter stuff like this.

And unlike you who doesn't accept the possibility that this is a deliberate design choice, I can accept the possibility that someone make a mistake... It just that I'm leaning more towards the other way. Unless someone can provide an evidence that it was not intentional, then I'll keep my stance.

And btw, I don't recall writing 'arts'.. I'm writing that it's intentional (whether it is because of arts or time constraint or budget).

Now you could argue if it indeed because time and/or budget constraint then it would be unintentional, thus a mistake.. which of course I can understand that. It's just a matter of pov.

Comment by DmonHiro
    17:11 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But there proof right in front of......oh who am I kidding? These kinds of indy-arts morons would never admit that they are not the smart-artistic-sophisticated people they think they ware.

Comment by Artefact

Nothing will dissuade them now their minds are made up.

Comment by Kyang
    15:09 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Middle row, fourth from the bottom.

...Absolutely hilarious.

Comment by Kyang
    15:10 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ooops, meant, "Column", not, "Row".

Comment by Carrie
    13:56 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

...There's something curiously interesting about the "quality" version, especially near the end. I haven't seen it animated, but if it was done smoothly, it might not be too jarring. A unique change of pase, if nothing else. I'm sure this style will be better received, though.

This series seems like something I should look into..

13:20 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought it was supposed to be an artistic style when they did the battle scenes.

Comment by Conrade awesome
    13:14 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They have no excuse

14:23 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't believe you have ever attempted frame-by-frame animation. Call me when you have, and maybe you can sympathize with them a little after you understand the difficulty of it all.

Comment by NitWit005
    14:38 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They clearly completed the episode, they just couldn't do it on schedule. Their failure isn't animation, but scheduling and general management idiocy.

Comment by Conrade awesome
    15:13 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, you must be stupid. These are professionals. No one expects this type of nonsense from a bonafide studio.

21:14 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Professionals are still humans. Humans make mistakes and tire. I wouldn't say it's fair to judge too harshly without knowing exactly why it was that they produced this low quality of animation. Keep in mind the possibility that only a smaller division of the studio was working on the animation at any point. Comment applies also to the anon who replied me below you.

16:09 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've never attempted surgery either, that doesn't mean I can't point out failure when the surgeon erroneously amputates the wrong limb.

They are paid for what they do, just because the layman cannot accomplish it does not mean the professionals get a free pass for being totally incompetent.

Comment by kebrus
    22:27 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

19:29 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Comment by Game8910
    13:13 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

greatest quality ever

Comment by TheAndySan
    04:48 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Normally, I don't whine about the production quality of anime. However, that was just plain awful!

It's good that they fixed it for the DVD release though.

Comment by Athrun
    13:48 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's ghastly

Comment by King of Hentai Gods
    16:53 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

so big improvement !!

Comment by would
    22:26 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

In my opinion the less quality version was better. Almost like some pieces from AniKuri-15 :)

Comment by shinta
    13:29 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It was a great way to save money yet make it look artistic at the same time. When I watched it, it was nice and fluid so I have no complaints. Now that they add in the details to the already fluid and well directed scene, I think they deserve praise for going the extra mile on the DVD instead of criticism for misplaced complaints on the broadcast version.

Comment by NitWit005
    14:40 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Artistic? It just looked like crap. I could animate better than much of that episode.

00:44 09/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

see, the comment about laymen criticizing professionals should have been a reply to this instead

Comment by Blue-kun
    20:45 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah bro, I mean, "animate", you obviously know what you're talking about.

Comment by shinta
    17:11 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wouldn't expect everyone to understand. That is why it is called "artistic". I guess it comes with the territory.

Comment by would
    22:37 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

agree